TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
If You Think You're Strong Enough
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 3:58:53 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","calebtest2"]
[attr="class","calebtest2text"]

Bright crimson blood pooled on the ground beneath the dead man's feet. The man's eyes were open, staring sightlessly up at Caleb's dark blue gaze, final expression a mix of shock and defiance. Even in death, the dead man's face was handsome - Caleb had always thought it handsome, from the very first day they'd met - and, looking at it, Caleb wanted to scream, but he just stood there, frozen, the gun that was clasped in his sweat-soaked palm threatening to clatter to the ground.[break][break]
"It had to be done," a cold, deep voice said. The iron-edged tone of that voice suggested that if Caleb had not killed the man, he himself would have died for that choice.[break][break]
The man had been Caleb's lover, and he had been a
good man.[break][break]
Caleb should have died instead. What had made him choose obedience? Was this really what he believed in? His mistake was a horrific mess of bruised skin, fresh cuts, and a bullet hole right between the eyes. Such beautiful eyes they were, even in that immutable stillness.[break][break]
He brought the gun to his forehead, and he pulled the trigger a second time.
[break][break]
[break][break]
Caleb woke in a cold sweat, sitting upright in his office desk chair in the Slateport Ranger Headquarters, heart pounding rapidly. The nightmare was still fresh, the echoes of it imprinted into the back of his mind like some kind of terrible after-effect. It had been a long time since he'd had that particular nightmare - the version of his final crime in Kanto culminating in the taking of his own life. All of his nightmares had faded away over the past year...he had assumed that the necessary healing had taken place to rid him of their presence once and for all, but...[break][break]
But then he'd seen his name on that list.[break][break]
He stood up. What time was it? When had he fallen asleep? It was late; Slateport's urban landscape was a sea of glittering lights outside his window. He needed some air. Walking out of his personal office, he entered into the shared collaborative office space intended for all the Rangers to make use of (connected to the break room and kitchen), and - to his surprise - noticed somebody else there.[break][break]
, it seemed, had also been putting in some overtime.

[attr="class","calebtest2ooc"]
[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.calebtest2]--accent:#3ad1e1;[/newclass]
[newclass=.calebtest2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Oct 21, 2022 11:00:11 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
Orion has always preferred the night shift. It's quieter at night, both in Slateport and at HQ. The moon blooms high overhead, the brightest of stars piercing the veil of light pollution to paint the canvas of night.

He's been slowly filling out his reports, sat by the window for a view of those stars. He looks up at the sound of footsteps, green eyes settling on the silhouette of . There's something off about him that Orion can't quite place.

"You OK?"

Orion closes his laptop and shifts his chair back from the desk, turning in his seat to properly face his friend. It's as much an invitation as any for the other Ranger to join him.

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Caleb Sharpe
He/Him
October 13
Lavender Town, Kanto
Bisexual
League Ranger
Elite
Chasing memories
of sapphire eyes and cruel smiles
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
Leave the past where it is: behind you.
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 24, 2022 1:45:52 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]

It's an invitation that Caleb did not realize how badly he'd wanted until it was freely given. He all but collapsed into the chair opposite his friend, knowing he probably looked like hell: dark circles under his eyes, disheveled hair, sweaty and exhausted. Orion looked tired, too, he noted.[break][break]
"No," he admitted. "Not really."[break][break]
He paused, and an awkward silence fell between the two men. Such moments were par for the course with Orion, who's social anxiety Caleb had grown accustomed to - affectionately familiar with, even - but this was different. This time, it was Caleb who did not know exactly what to say, where to begin. He opened his mouth, closed it. Gathered his racing thoughts and tried to organize them into coherence.[break][break]
"My nightmares are back," he said, finally. He cleared his throat. "Nightmares of Kanto, Orion. The horrible things I saw and...and was forced to do there."

[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.calebtest2]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2text u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2ooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".calebtest2 .calebtest2pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Oct 25, 2022 1:03:11 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
Orion opens his mouth to ask if Caleb wants to talk about it, then closes it again as it becomes clear that Caleb's already trying and failing to find the words. His own social anxiety lends well to an understanding of that phenomenon, even if he's not sure what his friend is struggling with, so he only offers a half-smile as if to say take your time, I'm listening.

That smile fades abruptly as implications sink in.

See, most people who brought up Kanto did so in only a few contexts: family, war, or Rocket.

Orion doesn't stop himself from jumping to conclusions. He takes a running leap into assuming the worst, his open expression shuttering to something guarded and cold.

"What do you mean, 'forced'?"

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Caleb Sharpe
He/Him
October 13
Lavender Town, Kanto
Bisexual
League Ranger
Elite
Chasing memories
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2022 3:18:06 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]

Orion's expression had frosted over, and Caleb understood why. Orion hated Rocket, more than most, and for good reason. He'd always wondered what his friend would think, if Orion knew the extent to which Caleb had been complicit in the Kanto takeover...the atrocities he'd participated in, and for a time, loyally consented to. It was complicated - what had started off as some odd jobs in college, alcohol and drugs, petty theft, had escalated into real crimes...organized crimes. When Caleb got a job as an officer in Saffron, he'd done so for them. Because they needed a man on the inside.[break][break]
How could he explain that he had once had a different group of close friends, people he'd wanted to die for, people he'd loved. People who'd sweet-talked him into a life of violence; people with passion and ambition, people who believed in a cause. Not unlike , really, or any of the Rangers. And yet, so unlike them, too.[break][break]
Caleb knew it was a potentially bad idea to tell Orion any of this. But Caleb was also very tired of lying to people, especially people he liked.[break][break]
"I used to be Rocket, Orion," He admitted quietly. "I had..." have "...family ties. I defected three years ago and escaped to Hoenn. I understand if knowing this...changes things between us. You can hate me if you want to." He let out a held breath, resisting the urge to look away. "I found my name on a Rocket hit list recently, by chance. I told Tam about it. I..." he paused, the pain of admission plain on his exhausted face, the words dying in his throat. What could he possibly say next? Apologize? Insist he was redeemed?[break][break]
As if redemption could be so easily granted.[break][break]

[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 5:36:18 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
"Yeah, it changes things."

Family ties. That implied that there had been some kind of choice, but Orion can't bring himself to sympathize even if there hadn't been. No amount of torture or coercion could convince him to hurt people, to destroy an entire region as Rocket had done. It was disgusting.

"How do you expect anyone to trust you, when you lie about something like this?" Anger runs through his tone like a current, his voice rising with it. "At least then we'd have known the kind of monster we were working with."

Orion's prosthetic and the reason for its necessity was an open secret. He didn't talk about it but he didn't have to; others talked, it was human nature. Rocket had done this to him.

To think he'd almost considered one a friend.

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Caleb Sharpe
He/Him
October 13
Lavender Town, Kanto
Bisexual
League Ranger
Elite
Chasing memories
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2022 17:35:30 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]

What kind of monster...[break][break]
Caleb couldn't blame Orion, not really. It was unspoken common knowledge that Orion's lost limb was Rocket's doing. And even if it hadn't been, Kanto was - is - a hellscape. Nobody in their right mind would wish that upon any other region: it was not forgivable. Caleb knew that better than most. He'd lived through it, enabled it.[break][break]
He knew exactly what sort of monster he was, which is why Orion's judgements couldn't really hurt him, even if they might be the precursor to another broken relationship - one that Caleb would mourn.[break][break]
"You've never done anything you later regretted, because you loved someone?" Caleb asked softly, gently. It was a jarring contrast to the open vitriol in Orion's expression and voice. Maybe a different man would feel defensive, but Caleb couldn't bring himself to yell at Orion. Orion was right. He wouldn't win that argument, nor did he want to.[break][break]
But he did want to explain, at least a little. He had defected, hadn't he? He was actively seeking a redemption he knew, deep down, he would never be able to achieve. Let Orion bear witness to the tragedy...after all, Caleb had never lied to him about how much he cared.[break][break]
"I lied because I hated myself, Orion. I still hate myself, but...hate isn't productive. Hate doesn't protect people or fix anything. Tam knows this, it's why he allows me to stay." Caleb met Orion's angry gaze with tired, grief-haunted eyes. "You trust him, don't you?" He paused, sucked in a breath. "I want you to know that I have never wanted to hurt you. I never want to hurt anybody ever again."[break][break]
His tone was sincere, whether or not Orion chose to believe him.

[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2022 19:36:38 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
"I've never killed for someone else." He hasn't even killed for himself. Someday, that will change. Some day, he'll wrap his metal fingers around 's throat. "I've never burned cities and kidnapped children for someone else."

It was unforgiveable.

Where Caleb is soft, almost pleading him to understand, Orion is cold and hard and unyielding.

Hate isn't productive.

"It can be," he growls.

Orion runs on hate. It fuels him where the despair never could. When he'd been despairing the loss of his arm, he'd been miserable. Anger gets him out of bed in the morning. Anger makes him a good Ranger, because sheer spite toward Rocket keeps him going.

The knowledge that knows of Caleb's past is ice in Orion's veins. He feels betrayed.

"I did." Can he still? His faltering expression hardens anew. "If you never wanted to hurt anyone, you wouldn't have lied to us."

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Caleb Sharpe
He/Him
October 13
Lavender Town, Kanto
Bisexual
League Ranger
Elite
Chasing memories
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2022 2:21:53 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]

There was murder in Orion's normally steady, if slightly nervous, gaze. The man was ablaze, lit up from the inside by some unquenchable fire. Caleb had never seen his friend like this; perhaps he ought to have felt alarmed, but all he really felt was pity. Orion and Caleb were broken men: they were more alike than Orion realized. Caleb had felt the same rage once. In his experience, a man could easily burn out on such fuel. The phase after was a cold and isolating grief.[break][break]
"You're right," Caleb agreed, maintaining his gentler tone, but his blue eyes were slowly hardening. "It was selfish. I desperately wanted to become someone new in Hoenn, so I put the past behind me. I never thought it would surface in the way that it did recently...if your name ends up on a Rocket hit list, you don't live long after that. And yet, here I am." He shook his head, still baffled by his strange circumstances. Someone took my name off that list. Someone's protecting me. I need to find out who...and why.[break][break]
"I'm sorry, Orion. I was not in a good place when I joined the Rangers. I never should have lied to you, or the others." He meant it, but he had a feeling Orion was long past the point of acknowledge the sincerity in his tone.[break][break]
A pang of frustration ran through him. Had he not recently agreed to join the operation at Littleroot? He leaned in, and his calm, sorrowful expression transformed into a determined one.[break][break]
"I meant it when I said I'd fight for Tam. For you. For everyone. I'm going to Littleroot, Orion, and I will put my life on the line if it means protecting the innocent citizens of that city from Rocket. If it means stopping Rocket. If it means giving the League government the chance it needs to divert the meteor." Conviction colored his every word.[break][break]
He was prepared to die, if that was his fate. He'd already been granted more extra time than he ever would have imagined after Kanto. He didn't deserve any of this, and yet...if he was going to stick around, he wanted to make it count. For the right reasons, this time.

[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2022 23:20:44 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
The pity in Caleb only angers Orion more. His soft tone and his attempts to understand the roiling fury bubbling up from inside the one-armed ranger do nothing but add fuel to a fire. It may well burn out and take Orion with it, but in the embrace of the flames he doesn't care.

"No, you shouldn't have."

He doesn't - can't - accept the apology.

"Prove it, then."

Part of him hopes Caleb throws himself upon his sword and perishes on the battlefield. Another part of him hopes for anything but. Conflicted feelings twist into knots in his gut, and he pushes himself back from the desk and stalks out of the room without another word.

close tab

played by

nellethiel

Caleb Sharpe
He/Him
October 13
Lavender Town, Kanto
Bisexual
League Ranger
Elite
Chasing memories
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
635 posts
part of
TAG WITH @caleb
Caleb Harcourt
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2022 3:23:14 GMT
Caleb Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]

Caleb didn't stop Orion. He let the other man walk away, knowing he'd lost this particular battle. With a long sigh, he leaned back in his chair and ran his hands through his unwashed hair. He really ought to go home, shower, get some rest.[break][break]
"Can't I just...actually do something right for once?" He lamented to nobody in particular. He allowed himself a few moments to wallow in the familiar feeling of self-pity, remembering his first few months in Hoenn, and how much of a deadbeat he'd been. The temptation to drown his sorrow in alcohol was always there...always calling to him, the siren song of oblivion.[break][break]
But he'd meant what he'd said to Orion: Hate doesn't protect people or fix anything. If he went back to hating himself, what good would that do?[break][break]
If he was going to fight for his life, and for the lives of his friends - he still wanted to call them that, no matter what Orion thought of him now - he needed to get some sleep. Some real sleep, in a bed. The last thing he needed was a drink.[break][break]
Caleb waited until he was sure Orion was gone, and then he got up and slipped out of the Slateport Ranger headquarters, silent as a ghost.

[break]

NOTES

+ Social!

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,784 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2022 3:48:23 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: