Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Always Warm Down After A Nice Jog [MLG]
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 19:00:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]If the gym challenge had ever been on Isaac's radar, his hopes of completing it had died a decade ago. He wasn't cut out to be a trainer. He wasn't going to amount to more than an unwanted tagalong in his family, a distraction from the real golden child's ambitions. And if he ever had hopes of chasing that distant, childish idea, the affiliation he'd fallen in with meant they were better of buried. He could keep his two lives separated, but for how long?[break][break]

had changed that. He wanted to support her, even though now they lived in opposite worlds. He wanted to encourage her, ecen though were they to meet again it would be as enemies. He wanted to make sure that, now that he couldn't keep an eye out on her, she could stand on her own feet and thrive like he knew she could.[break][break]

It was a risk he was willing to take. But he couldn't just charge into the gym circuit half-cocked. Enter the buzz around the Minor League, where another gym had opened up in Fallarbor. Compared to some of the other gyms out there, it was refreshingly straightforward. Big, impressive monsters with big, impressive bonds crashing into each other. No scars of the faction war. No complex webs of allegiances. Only one simple question: do you love your Pokemon?[break[[break]

Isaac, who was very much fed up with war and very much a lover of Pokemon, found himself nodding along.[break][break]

He wondered who he would take. Knuckles, the experiment turned diehard team member, was a shoe-in for the role. Their strength literally drew from their bond together, her aura a reflection of their drive, their dedication, and their care for one another. So long as their hearts beat as one, there was nothing they couldn't do.[break][break]

But who else? Luck & Pluck, the blade from bound to protect him, whose bond was such that they overturned Z-Moves together? Duster, his kindred spirit, a lonesome runaway who shed his past to find power, purpose, and peace? Echo, whose telekinesis, telepathy, and teleportation became invaluable since the incident that cost him his eye and was now a fixture of his life? Buffaloman, whose performance in the Silph Cup proved to him he could be a champion?[break][break]

He wished Kiryu was here. She would've loved this gym.[break][break]

A soft pressure on his back snapped him out of his wistfulness. Watson, as if sensing his distress, had toddled up to him as he sat there in the tall grass. Appreciatively, he reached back to scratch behind the Totodile's head ridges. His starter may have been lagging behind compared to some of the more dedicated members of the team, but he'd been through damn near everything by Isaac's side. He wasn't Isaac's finest battler, but he'd be hardpressed to ever have a better companion.[break][break]

In that moment, Isaac knew exactly who he'd take. He made his way to Fallarbor with his head held high and an excitable crocodile bouncing in his wake.

"?"

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 19:40:36 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Andrea still wondered if she had done the right thing by becoming a Gym leader. She was trying to remain neutral and unbiased amidst the escalating faction conflict, yet here she was evidently leaning towards a side. In wanting to help aspiring trainers achieve their dreams, had she become another cog in the machine?

As she pondered those things, the young PokéManiac spotted a familiar face approaching the entrance to her family's ranch, and gave him a cheerful greeting. "Oh hi, Isaac!" The dragon fanatic was wearing her signature onesie, although this would be the first time Isaac had seen her in that ridiculous getup.

fuepog.png Jalapeño poked out from behind Andrea's leg. Upon laying eyes on that Totodile, the Fuecoco became much more energetic, pointing at his fellow crocodile with excitement, while opening his mouth in the shape of an O.

"So, what brings you here?" The dragon-costumed girl asked the handsome blonde, her questioning gaze drawn to the Rhydon statue next to her signifying that this location was more than just a simple ranch. "Don't tell me... Are you here to challenge my Gym?" Her eyes lit up at the prospect.
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 20:32:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Huh! Tall about a small world. Having only met Andrea only a few days ago, Isaac sure as heck didn't expect to see her standing on the opppsite side of the gym from him.[break][break]

He also didn't expect to see her wearing such a . . . unique outfit. But with how uncharacteristically cold it had been lately, maybe she had the right idea. "Dang, someone's comfy today," he teased, lowkey wishing that he'd thought of her idea first. "Good to see you again, Andrea."[break][break]

They weren't the only ones exchanging greetings today. Jalapeno had spotted Watson, pointing at him with a look of cheerful surprise on his face. Watson returned the gesture immediately, grinning from ear to ear. If ever needed other ideas for research papers, the downright ancestral kinship between Fuecoco and Totodile had to rank on the list. The two species seemed to form a bond the second they set eyes on each other, without fail.[break][break]

Andrea's curiosity as to why Isaac had come was matched only by her excitement when she put 2 and 2 together. "If I don't tell you, how else am I supposed to challenge you?" he teased. "Heard about this place opening through the grapevine, and figured it'd be a great first step for a new journey."[break][break]

Sure enough, Isaac didn't bear the proud row of badges many trainers did when setting foot in a gym. The only one pinned to his shirt, ' Forest Badge, likely wouldn't hold much value in the future. But it was more valuable to him than any championship assessment could be, so he kept it pinned in a place of honor above where his proper six would fill in.[break][break]

"Grapevine can't compare to the real deal, though. So why don't you tell me what your gym's all about?" Both genuine curiosity at Andrea's path and his own fueled that question. Half of why he was even taking the gym challenge in the first place was to better understand the motivations behind its leaders. The lessons they sought to teach, the virtues they sought to impart, their reasons for opening up in the first place . . . [break][break]

Maybe they'd help him find his own purpose.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 21:34:50 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
From Isaac's words, one could infer that he was a bit of newbie when it came to the Gym challenge, his one measly badge being further proof of that. That was one thing he and Andrea shared in common.

The draconic cosplayer grinned from ear to ear when the Totodile trainer inquired about the nature of her Gym. "I'm glad you asked! It's about bonds!" She replied, shifting her gaze to the two crocodiles exchanging spirited greetings and socializing. "Big or small, Pokémon are wonderful creatures. By understanding them and deepening our bonds with them, we humans might also understand each other."

It was a lesson that could be disregarded as childishly idealistic by the more jaded adults, but it had truly come from the heart without a hint of pretense or falsehood.

"So, which Pokémon will you challenge me with?" The novice Gym leader asked, evidently eager to see Isaac's selection.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 9, 2023 21:55:01 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]To some, it might seem hopelessly naive. But right now Andrea was speaking Isaac's language. He'd seen, firsthand, how his Pokemon's bonds with both him and each other pushed them to further and further heights. Bursts of strength when the chips were down. The courage to face off against foes far stronger than them. Dramatic mid-battle evolutions born from the will to be something bigger than themselves.[break][break]

"Oh, I like the way you think," Isaac said, his grin wide across his face as he mulled over her words. "Something tells me we're gonna have a lot to talk about after our battle, huh?"[break][break]

But that was after the battle. Right now, Andrea wanted to know what the battle would even be. Isaac unhooked Knuckles' Pokeball from his belt and tossed it out with a flourish. The Lucario appeared, still in a meditative stance as she adjusted to her current surroundings. Rhyhorn statues? A gym? Frankly, she never thought she'd see the day. She turned to Isaac, casting a suspicious look his way.[break][break]

That's right. The poor Lucario was so used to fighting for their lives. This was new to her. Isaac approached the Lucario, a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I know we've been through a lot. So consider this a chance to cut loose and stretch your legs out, okay?" His voice was soft as he gently consoled the Pokemon. "No tricks. No surprises. Just some good, clean, fun for us. I promise."[break][break]

His warmth settled into the empathetic creature's aura. His determination was infectious. She could barely stop her own grin from creeping up her face. Finally, she nodded, holding out a hand towards Isaac. A little pulse of aura burst out from between their hands as the fist bump connected.[break][break]

"You might remember Knuckles here from our jog," Isaac said. "She might just be my strongest Pokemon, so here's hoping she can put on one heck of a show."[break][break]

Perhaps it would surprise Andrea when Watson toddled up right next to Knuckles, a goofy grin on his face. "And Watson here's my first. Don't let his small size fool you; he's got spirit like nobody else." The Totodile bounded up and down excitedly, before putting on his best war face. It was adorkable.[break][break]

Old favorites and new hopes intertwined to form Isaac's team for the day. In a way, they were the perfect team for the task. "Since this is all about bonds, how about we make this a double battle, too? See how our teams work with each other, as well as us?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 11:40:46 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
"Sure, I'd love to talk after our battle!" Andrea said, although she didn't know exactly what Isaac wanted to talk about. Battle strategies? Tips on how to raise Pokémon? Their horoscopes?

The challenger's selection included a familiar face from their shared jogging session: Knuckles the Lucario... soon to be joined by his very spirited Totodile. "A double battle sounds fantastic! Follow me." The young PokéManiac said, leading them to a basic battling field in the middle of the ranch. No spectator seats, no flashy equipment. Just a large rectangle drawn on the ground.

The flamboyant cosplayer produced a Pokéball from one on her costume's pockets, sending out a shiny Kommo-o whose pink scales glistened under the sun. "My first pick will be Kokoro, and my second pick will be..." Before she could fetch another ball, her Fuecoco started jumping up and down energetically. The girl smiled warmly. "Well, looks like Jalapeño is excited to battle Watson! Alright, my son, make me proud!" Ecstatic to get the approval of his human mother, Jalapeño positioned himself next to Kokoro, the much larger dragon nodding in acknowledgement.

Croc versus croc. Fighting type versus Fighting type. The stage had been set for a showdown between equals.

"Let's start! Prepare to be dazzled by Kokoro's Clangorous Soul!" As if on cue, Andrea's Kommo-o got enveloped in a violet aura that seemed like a manifestation of its insatiable passion for combat. In contrast to that flashy display, Jalapeño simply let out a Yawn. Somehow, Isaac's Totodile would begin to feel drowsy.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 14:44:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]A mischievous twinkle lit up in Isaac's eyes. "One sec! I'll be right with ya." As Andrea headed to the battlefield, Isaac tossed down two Pokeballs. These weren't battlers for today, but by now Ex Machina the Rotom and Echo the Ralts had basically become his personal assistants. Isaac whispered an order to them, Echo perking up excitedly just from hearing it. He grabbed Ex by the arm, fired off a big, goofy salute, and warped away.[break][break]

After falling back in step with Andrea, he took a look around the place. Unlike the elaborate constructions and ostentatious decor of the major league, this was a return to form. It was little more than a battle arena pounded flat into the ranch, surrounded by nature and stretched under an open sky. "Nice place you got here! But I think it's missing a little something."

There may not have been spectator seats. But that didn't mean there couldn't be spectators.[break][break]

Echo appeared as if on cue, carrying a massive armful of Pokeballs. He threw them high into the sky with an excited peep. Once they were airborne, his psychic power sent them flying everywhere but the battlefield. Where there was once empty space, now a gaggle of cheering, amped-up Pokemon were filling into the battlefield.[break][break]

Some were there to support their friends. Vivi the Espeon lead a barking cheer, backed up by a Jolteon whose tail hers coiled around and a little Eevee nestled between them. Sunny the Crobat cast Knuckles in his Spotlight, much to the chagrin of the Bisharp he had perched on. Ringo the Chimecho jingled words of nervous encouragement to his old companion, only to be eased down by some calming mist from a Musharna. Grimace the Dracovish gurgled in support of his strong jawed fella from another era, the Arctozolt next to him joining his strange, wiggly war dance. Ceres the Torterra shot Watson a smile that got him smiling shyly, nervously scratching the back of his neck.[break][break]

Others seemed more interested in seeing what large monsters Andrea was going to bring to the fray. Rampage the Rhyhorn looked towards her scattered gym statues, trying to mimic their bipedal stance. Shockmaster the Electivire pointed towards Andrea, let out a cheer, then motioned for the crowd to get pumped up. Toto the Blastoise eyes Watson with a raised brow, curious to see if his pipsqueak rival could hold his own. There were even some familiar faces from jogging; the Colonel and Baconator tried to out-cheer each other, while Crash and the Boys traded their marching line for a cheer pyramid.[break][break]

For a moment, Isaac looked up to the sky. He hoped Kiryu was watching, too. He then turned to Andrea, his contemplative look melting back into his usual winning smile. "Now this is the kinda audience a gym leader deserves, don't ya think?"[break][break]

With that little favor to the Pokemaniac done, it was time to kick up a fight worth watching. Isaac whistled, impressed, as the shiny Kommo-o hit the battlefield, but it was little Jalapeno waddling into the fray that really caught his eye. "I can't believe we're both sending our small sons off to battle," he joked.[break][break]

Andrea kicked things off how all good fights begin; a power up sequence. Kokoro radiated power and pressure as her scales clattered together, the resulting roar of the crowd only making her spectacle more impressive. In the light of such flash, Isaac didn't even notice Jalapeno's Yawn.[break][break]

"Now's your chance! Turn up the pressure!" Isaac said. Watson and Knuckles nodded, the two charging off in near sync. Knuckles stood before Watson, moving in parallel with his dance-like steps. Where he zigged, she zagged. Where he hopped, she skipped. The two moved almost like a DNA helix, a pair of opposing serpentine patterns designed to throw off their foe's focus.[break][break]

Finally, Knuckles froze up in front of Kokoro. Instead of press her own offensive, she leaped into the air, using her larger body to conceal Watson's charge until the last possible moment. The Totodile lunged towards the dragon type, ready to chill some of its fighting spirit with an Ice Fang.[break][break]

If able to successfully leap over the Kommo-o, Knuckles would land behind her, then lunge forward in a strike of her own. Being the Copycat that she was, it was only natural that she'd replicate Watson's icy bite. It was a super effective onslaught from two angles!

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 20:17:27 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Well, that was something you didn't see every day: Pokémon spectating a Pokémon battle. Isaac summoned an entire menagerie of friends, each one with their own unique quirk and personality. Just when it seemed like no more side characters could be added to the mix, a massive cloud of dust drew near, accompanied by the sound of trampling footsteps. The Pokémon that lived within the ranch joined Isaac's own menagerie, excited to watch the battle unfold.

A Rhyperior towered over Rampage, giving the smaller rhinoceros an affectionate headpat. A Tyrantrum stared curiously at the Falinks pyramid, prodding them with its huge snout. A second Dracovish joined the other archeological mistakes in their wiggly dance. Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Kangashkhan, Tyranitar and Aggron stood behind their trainer in an unbreakable formation. A Salamence flew overhead, carrying a Munchlax on its back. A Salazzle clumsily ran on its hind legs, being tailed by a Garchomp and a Druddigon with hearts for eyes. Slowbro, Slowking and their two Galarian counterparts gazed into the void with vacant expressions. A Gengar rose from the ground, flashing a toothy grin, before melting into the shadows cast by the many bodies that were present.

"Wow, everyone is here!" Andrea remarked in sheer awe. The once barren stadium was now filled with enough names to make up their own version of the Pokérap. Now that was an audience fit for a Gym centered around the power of bonds!

The battle began proper with Knuckles and Watson ganging up on Kokoro. It made sense to target the bigger threat first, but the shiny Kommo-o was about to prove that she was no pushover, tanking both Ice Fangs, and then shaking her tail like a rattle, producing a blaring sound blast to push both of her opponents back. The power of her Clanging Scales was made all the more devastating by Jalapeño boosting his draconic ally with a Helping Hand.

After her eardrum-blasting attack had been fired, Kokoro staggered backwards. The golden dragonness breathed heavily, ice still coating parts of her scaly body. "You can beat them, Kokoro! I know you can!" Andrea shouted words of encouragement, getting her companion pumped.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 20:46:22 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac and Andrea's teams intermingled with each other, near-perfect strangers regarding each other as of they were the best of friends. It was peace and unity on a massive scale, the likes of with Isaac had never even seen in the region before. To think this was just two exceptionally large gatherings meeting in a backyard gym.[break][break]

This was the Hoenn Isaac wished he was fighting for.[break][break]

The Clanging Scales snapped Isaac out of his daydream. Knuckles didn't weather the blow half bad, her steely spirit cushioning her against the worst of the technique. She skid back in a three point stance, head ringing but still in solid fighting shape. Her companion wasn't so lucky; with no such natural resistance, and a far smaller size, Watson was practically sent flying back from the force of the attack. He landed on his back, the sound still tingling in his earholes.[break][break]

It was such a nice sound.[break][break]

Almost like a lullaby.[break][break]

Watson wasn't out, but he was certainly down. And that Yawn meant he was a sitting duck- er, croc- for a good while. Knuckles was going to have to carry a fight that had rapidly shifted into a 2-on-1.[break][break]

Luckily, she wasn't alone. She looked towards Watson, then towards Isaac. Trainer and Pokemon's eyes met as they exchanged a nod, Isaac raising an arm with a flourish. His sleeve slide down, proudly revealing the Mega Bracelet that had crafted for him. "If Watson's taking a nap, that means I'm your partner!" Isaac called. "Let's show 'em how we got this far!"[break][break]

Knuckles slammed her fist into her palm, the white light of evolution overtaking her body. And then she charged towards Kokoro, her and Isaac's war cries mixing into a single, cohesive voice.[break][break]

She was faster than she was on the initial approach. As her fists flew at Kokoro, they pushed through the air with far more force. Her tail and dreadlocks both looked larger and more voluminous, and with each punch a hint of red could be seen along her blue and yellow body. Soon, the light had dispersed entirely; this Close Combat was coming from a Mega Lucario now.[break][break]

Her blows, while rapid and unrestrained, were surprisingly precise. She aimed for the tarnished areas where scale collided with scale, targeting her weakened defense in the wake of the Clanging Scales. However, her own Close Combat had much the same drawback, leaving her overexposed and off balance. It was a risky enough in a one on one. In her current situation, it was practically asking for a painful counterattack.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST / @andeavaneau

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 21:09:59 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
With Watson deciding to take a nap in the middle of an intense battle, it was up to Isaac and Knuckles to demonstrate the extent of their bond, light bathing the Lucario as its form changed and it battered Andrea's Kommo-o with a flurry of punches.

"M-Mega Evolution?!" Andrea stammered in shock, although she really shouldn't be so surprised given how widespread its use was in Hoenn. The novice Gym leader took a moment to think, stroking her chin and humming. "Hmmm... I'll allow it!"

That Close Combat hurt a lot, shaving a good chunk of Kokoro's health. The dragonness was determined to get that health back. While the Mega Lucario was exposed and worn down by its own move, the Kommo-o aimed a Drain Punch at its torso in order to suck the vitality out of its body.

"Help her out, Jalapeño! Flamethrower!" Andrea exclaimed. Her Fuecoco joined on the offensive, releasing a stream of fire from his mouth.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 21:37:07 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]A fist right to the gut answered Knuckles' charge, knocking the wind right out of her. As Kokoro let that ouch sink in, renewed vitality started to fill her. With both of their guards lowered, that could have been a tide-turner.[break][break]

But Knuckles had yet to give up the ghost. Not when she heard Andrea's call for Jalapeno to join the fray. "Don't give 'em your back!" Isaac warned, the Lucario's aura sense picking up on Jalapeno charging up a move.[break][break]

She moved in a single, fluid motion, aiming to set one hand on the fist embedded in her gut and the other on the Kommo-o's shoulder. While she was outsized by a healthy margin, she was quick, limber, and fuelled by Infinity Energy. At best, she aimed to basically arm drag Kokoro into the incoming flamethrower while slipping safely behind it. At worst, she'd still dart away before receiving the worst of the heat on her back.[break][break]

After making her escape, she'd focus her aura into her feet, springing forward in a show of Extremespeed. Between Jalapeno on the flank and that restorative Drain Punch, close quarters had become a major risk. If she was going to overcome these odds, she was going to need to try some hit and run tactics.[break][break]

Watson kicked his little leggies in his sleep. Awww, he thought he was running.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST / @

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 22:01:31 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
Kokoro was grabbed by her opponent, much to her surprise, and put in the Flamethrower's way, her back singed by the literal friendly fire. The Mega Lucario followed it up with a lightning-fast kick that caused the shiny Kommo-o to double up in pain.

"She's faster, but you're stronger! Hit her with your Dragon Tail!" Grunting affirmatively at the command given, Kokoro spun around full circle in an attempt to slap the speedy jackal with her powerful tail. Meanwhile, Jalapeño fired another Flamethrower.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2023 23:38:38 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Hit and run techniques were all well and good. They weren't perfect, though. They were oh so easy to fall into a rhythm with. Knuckles could float like a butterfly and sting like a bee, but Kokoro's massive tail was like a flyswatter. The force of it sent Knuckles skidding back towards the edge of the gym, barely stopping herself from ringing out by planting a single, spiky fist in the ground.[break][break]

In her current position, she had no means of avoiding Jalapeno's Flamethrower. The Fuecoco was small, but his fire was mighty. For a second, Knuckles seemed to vanish amidst the towering inferno.[break][break]

She wiped the lingering blaze away with a swipe of her arm. Breathing heavily, clutching one arm, her fur disheveled beyond belief, it was clear that Knuckles was being pushed to her limits. Both she and Kokoro had been throwing out everything and the kitchen sink at each other, but both refused to be the first to fall. An agitated snarl spread across her face.[break][break]

And then, from the corner of her eye, she noticed her trainer. His smile was radiant as he watched the action, shouting words of encouragement for both her and Andrea alike. The stress and frustration he harbored on a day to day basis had ebbed out of his aura. Similar joyful auras rose from all of the Pokemon present. Their worries, their doubts, their grudges . . . it had all been left behind, replaced by the love of simple battle.[break][break]

This was the hardest she'd been tested in her Mega state. And she didn't even need to be put through a life or death ordeal for it.[break][break]

Frustration gave way to confusion, then to barks of joyous laughter. She understood! She finally understood! This wasn't an undergroubd cage where she fought for the highest bidder. This wasn't some shady lab where she was just another number. This wasn't a warzone where any mistake could be her last. This was freedom, self-improvement, the simple bliss of fighting alongside both with and against one's friends.[break][break]

"You're both on the ropes now . . . so hit 'em with something they can't avoid!"[break][break]

Knuckles leaped into the air, as if floating on the sheer currents of joy rippling through her aura. The sphere that formed between her hands wasn't tinged with blue sorrow, red rage, or pitch black malice. Instead, it was like a golden orb of sunshine, growing bigger and bigger with every smiling face she beheld in the crowd.[break][break]

Infinity Energy flowed from her body to the Aura Sphere, bringing it to a towering size and giving it a shimmering rainbow hifhlight. Her tail smoothed down to its usual shape. Her dreadlocks smoothed back down. All of her remaining Adaptability would be going into this move, and she'd be feeling the effects of a post-Mega crash after using it. But this was her last hurrah, and she was taking it with gusto.[break][break]

Her grand display was enough to even make Watson stir. He opened his mouth to say something, but Isaac held up a finger and motioned for him to hush. He glanced first towards Watson, then towards Kokoro, and grinned. Watson nodded in response, holding a claw to his snout. Still lying down, as if asleep, Watson started crawling along the arena perimeter.[break][break]

Knuckles flung her Aura Sphere towards Kokoro, the two warriors' souls now fated to meet. All the while, Watson lied on ambush, prepared to rush Kokoro with an Ice Fang if she still stood tall.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
awards
1,680 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 10:25:54 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar
The young PokéManiac's eyes widened, and so did her smile. She could tell that the Mega Lucario was preparing a big move, building up power like an anime protagonist about to defeat the final boss. "Get ready, Kokoro!" The dragon-hooded girl cried out, her own companion following suit.

By the time Knuckles was finally ready to fire her gigantic Aura Sphere, Kokoro was ready too, thrusting her scaly arm forward to throw a Focus Punch so powerful, it broke the sound barrier. The devastating shockwave was combined with Jalapeño's Fire Blast, creating a massive, flaming fist that engulfed the Lucario. Last hurrah, indeed.

When the dust had settled, Kokoro stood with her shoulders hunched, battered beyond belief. The golden dragonness let out a pained grunt, before collapsing on the ground with swirly eyes. "You did great, Kokoro. You deserve to get some rest." Andrea said with a warm smile, returning her fainted Pokémon into its ball.

With one combatant down, Jalapeño stared at the opposing team with his beady eyes. Though the Fuecoco's dopey expression remained unchanged, a cartoony sweatdrop hovered over his head. He was in danger.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,322 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Jan 11, 2023 14:25:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Hang on tight and roll with it, Knux!" Isaac warned. She was far too spent to dodge, and trying to outmuscle the move Jalapeno and Kokoro were cooking up would've only made it hurt worse. The best thing Knuckles could do, once the blast was fired, was to take her chances and roll with the attack.[break][break]

The two shows of fighting spirit did nothing to slow or soften each other as they collided. In facf, as the soul-powered shockwave and concentrated orb of aura intertwined, Isaac could've sworn they both grew bigger. It was as if, even on opposite sides of the battlefield, they were only building each other up. The shockwave went on to overwhelm Knuckles, the Lucario obscured by a mixture of Kokoro's shimmering soul, Jalapeno's flame, and her own blissful aura.[break][break]

When the dusted settled, Knuckles was left lying on the ground. She propped herself up with a single hand, trying her hardest to pool a ball of pink energy in the other. However, before she could finish gathering the Heal Pulse, her pain caught up to her. The technique dispersed in her hand as she fell back onto the ground, a proud smile on her face.[break][break]

"Finally got no choice but to rest, huh?" Isaac teased, returning her to her ball. "I'm so proud of you." With that, he turned to Andrea, his own grin radiant. "Those two really are something, huh? You sure know how to raise a powerhouse!"[break][break]

That left the next generation of powerhouse to fill their shoes. Noting the sweat gathering on his fellow croc's forehead, Watson let out a few encouraging rasps. There was no need to be nervous. This was their chance to show up the big guys and make a splash on their own! He pointed towards Jalapeno, then turned to the crowd, motioning with his claw for the audience to get hyped for their main event.[break][break]

Maybe if life ever returned to normal, Isaac and his crew would have a future on the Alolan-style wrestling circuits.[break][break]

Once his encouragement was given, Watson settled into a fighting stance. He pulled his head back, gathering as much energy as he could before unleashing his Hydro Pump. It was time to see just what his fellow croc was capable of.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]