Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
I might not feel pain, but I can still bleed.
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
Bats in the Bakery [O][M]
POSTED ON Apr 6, 2023 2:24:23 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]No wonder business died down. Biscotti thought to himself as he peered into the eaves of the shop. Half a dozen creatures peered back. Or they would have if they had eyes. That lack of sight was kind of the defining feature of a Zubat. Looking at the broom in his hand, Scotti sat it against the building. While they were annoying—echolocating customers and swooping at their heads—they were kind of cute. It wasn’t like they read the property documents.

Besides, hurting stuff wasn’t something he’d gotten into. Pain or no pain, he could empathize.

Leaning on the broom, he debated his options. Some part of him was tempted to duck back inside and let someone else handle it. He could eat one of the leftover breakfast bagels and chip away at his homework. Maybe tell Sis she should have checked this place a bit closer. But her temper was as bad as mom’s. All he’d get for smart mouthing would be a flip-flop to the forehead.

While he could get a ladder, Scotti wasn’t confident he’d be able to stand on it. One confusion to the face and he’d be hobbling around on a broken leg. By afternoon, half the neighborhood would think he was a zombie. Something that sucked bad enough when kids at school did it. “All right.” He sighed, running fingers through his caramel and chocolate fluff. “You guys have to come down one way or another.” He waved his arms at the blue balls of fuzz and membrane. “Shoo! Go!” They didn’t even move. A drifting shadow at his side drew his attention.

“Hey! Bubbe!” The Runerigus tilted its ‘head’ to one side. “Can you help—” She shook her head, waving him off like an annoying grandkid after their hundredth cookie. “It won’t even take you—!” Pretending not to hear him, the ghost type phased through the brick and into the building beyond. With a deep breath, Biscotti tossed out a Pokeball. A Hawlucha blinked up at him.

“Can you try talking to them? I don’t want to hurt them.” He sighed, crossing his arms. “Heck! I don’t mind if they go to the backdoor—-they just can’t stay here!” With a shrug, the Hawlucha jumped up to the roof. They started muttering to each other,

And, then, came the laughter. A bat pointed a wing at him. The snickering grew louder.

[attr="class","bisc"]

[newclass=.bisc b] color: #DF4F52; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.bisc i] color: #DF4F52; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]

[/quote]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON May 25, 2023 16:50:19 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
As Biscotti struggled with a Zubat swarm that continued to ruin his life, a moan would be heard approaching the bakery shop. Was it another Zubat? Or worse, a Golbat? No! Nobody's luck could be that bad, right? Yet the cry seemed to be oddly human. In fact, it seemed to be saying something!

'Fooooooood...' The voice groaned as Howard crawled his way towards the bakery. It looked like he had lost a fight with a landslide. Much of his clothing was covered in dirt, and his hat was largely askew. A Baltoy danced on his hat, spinning in a circle around the brim like a top. He looked positively pitiful. "Foooooooood..." He cried out again, stronger than before.

While Biscotti struggled with Zubats, Howard had, in a rookie mistake, stepped on a Geodude while trekking about north of Slateport. For him, it was the most embarrassing moment in his career. The Geodude, in a rage, had kicked Howard in the shins, and sent him stumbling back down the hillside. After resting there in agony for a moment or ten, Howard elected to crawl back to Slateport.

"Have... money..." At least, he thought he did. Hopefully his wallet wasn't lost during his roll. He would never admit that he had been mugged by a Geodude if that were the case. "Will... work?" The snickering Zubats grew louder, and Howard felt his anger build up.

"There is nothing wrong with getting beat up by a Geodude!" He snapped up at them. "I bet you wouldn't like it, you stupid bats! Grrr...!" He clenched his fist and pointed up at them.

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 19:50:15 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]Biscotti’s anger at the bats and his punch-happy bird evaporated as another sound took center stage. Even the squeaks of the peanut gallery faded as the bird and bats turned to face the weird noises.

The ghoulish moans made Biscotti shiver. ”Fooooooood….” The disembodied voice said as it grew closer. As he whirled around, the kid felt his heart speed up. Sure his grandma was a ghost, but that stuff still creeped him out. With a swallow, the college student turned to face the specter. And, immediately, he winced.

Startled by the newcomer, the Zubat chattered nervously between themselves. Apparently, this made the guy irritated. Even if they couldn’t see it, the bats could feel the apprehension in the air. The Hawlucha, meanwhile, rose to his feet on the roof beam. His wings pointed outward, claws ready to rake up some ghost flesh. “Guys, relax,” Biscotti muttered to the gathered pests. “And, no, people typically don’t like getting beat up.”

Biscotti always thought it’d be interesting to get punched in the face. His CPIA would totally creep a combatant out. But, right now wasn’t the time for that.

The guy looked like he’d been chewed on by a Coalossal. The Baltoy looked adorable but probably wasn’t helping the dude feel better. The broom in his hand was angled slightly forward, like a spear. “Hey—uh—” Even as he asked it, the question felt stupid. “You all right?” A scarred hand was offered to Howard.

The kid recalled his original words. “You want a cupcake or something?” In the window, a number of fake treats were on display. But the smell of the real deal wafted in from behind them.

[attr="class","bisc"]

[newclass=.bisc b] color: #DF4F52; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.bisc i] color: #DF4F52; font-size: 10px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2023 4:24:07 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Grrr, you Zubats! I'll make sure to pack you up and ship you off to the zoo, bats!" Howard was still growling at the accumulated bats with annoyance on his face. He didn't like being angry—it took a lot of work—but Howard's pride had been sent through the dumpster and shredded. Now, he found himself at a bakery.

Howard blinked. Bakery?

He took note of the scarred hand, and tears welled up in Howard's eyes. He shamelessly rubbed them with his dirty sleeve. It made his eyes itch and hurt, but that was perfectly fine. His heart was healed. Kindness was in such sort supply these days. Howard firmly grabbed the scarred and calloused hand. "Yes, please! You're my hero! Thank youuuuuuu!" Howard crushed Biscotti in a bear hug. Despite his prior weakness, he was strong.

Then, Howard stopped. He turned pale and nervously turned towards Biscotti.

"Actually... I don't have any money, sorry. I think I'm just gonna go die in a dumpster now. Sorry to bother youuuu...." Howard slowly slid away, face getting paler and paler as he slowly stepped back. He didn't make it very far, as Howard collapsed before he could make it off Biscotti's porch.

"Take care of Shirley for me!" He croaked. Was it really good for business to leave someone like this in front of the bakery?

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 20:23:35 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]The bats just squeaked down at the roadkill looking guys. But the earlier happier tones were tinted with confusion. They didn’t know what a zoo was. It wasn’t like they were some rare, endangered gemstone. They were a Pokedime a dozen. Honestly, they weren’t even sure that was a bad thing. The Hawlucha’s attempts to explain only ended in happy chittering. Free food forever!? Awesome!

Ooof! The crushing hug made it feel like his lungs had deflated. A wave of red covered Biscotti’s cheeks. The awkward teen could feel his embarrassment growing—the blush only deepening. “I’m—uh—not sure it’s heroic, really. It’s no skin off my back, man.” Sure, he helped make the stuff, but he also didn’t pay for the supplies. Besides, with the bats diving at everyone who stopped by, they had plenty of stock to giveaway. Hopefully, this guy liked raisins.

“Take care of—who’s Shirley?” Was this guy talking in the third person? A Pokemon? Some long-lost child? Either way, he really shouldn’t be taking care of it. He couldn’t take care of himself. Or anything else for that matter.

“I didn’t—” With a shout of alarm, Scotti moved to catch him. But he didn’t make much of a difference. It wasn’t like he was the first racer off the starting line. “I wasn’t going to charge you.” Shaking his head, he offered the guy a hand. “Come on in, okay?” He grinned. “

[attr="class","bisc"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Aug 9, 2023 2:39:19 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Guh..." Howard collapsed onto the ground, dodging Biscotti's heroic attempt to grab him. The man hid the ground with a depressing thud. He didn't seem very interested in moving. Maybe he really had died, and bequeathed Biscotti with all of his mortal possessions. A terrible decision, given most of Howard's items were useless to a bakery, and he had essentially nothing of worth on him.

A pokeball rolled out from Howard's belt, and began to shake violently with a sort of growling noise emanating from it. It shook more and more, before an absolutely massive Aerodactyl erupted from the ball with a roar. Did the fossil hear its name, or had it been called by Biscotti's question?

"Grrr....." Shirley growled at Biscotti, before sniffing the air. It nudged at Howard's coat pocket, and a crumpled plastic wrapper fell out. "Guh....." Howard let out a quiet groan as Shirley searched his figure for more snacks. Finding none, she turned to Biscotti and growled, preparing to lunge. Before she did, Shirley took a sniff to gain the baker's scent.

"Sniff sniff..." Shirley growled, looking at Biscotti, and lunged! Instead of mauling the poor baker, she gave Biscotti a sloppy lick across the face. The baker tasted like delicious baked goods, raisins included!

"Guh......." In the meantime, Howard had crawled to his feet. He turned to face Biscotti and Shirley, and an expression of horror turned into relief. "Splendid! She likes you, mate." He whistled, and Shirley crawled off Biscotti. Howard still looked like he had been ran over by a Carkol, but he seemed to have a pulse. That was good, given that customers dropping dead was rarely a good thing. Howard returned Biscotti's grin.

"I would love to come in!" The strange man beamed. "Shirley likes you, and that's good enough for me. I'm Howard Slayte, archaeologist, paleontologist, and historian." 

The rate at which this man recovered was absolutely strange. He jumped from the edge of death to bear hugs to the edge of death to introductions.

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 22:46:49 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]As the guy dropped like a sack of potatoes, Biscotti’s eyebrows went up. Honey eyes glanced up the street—half expecting a prank show. “Uhh, you still with us, bud?” Sure, the guy was breathing, but so did coma patients. “I really have no idea what I’d do with a dead body.” He’d never seen anyone die before. What did you do after you called the cops? Would he have to pay for burying the guy?

When the Pokeball escaped, Biscotti unconsciously reached for it. He had to snap his hand away to avoid getting impaled by the thing’s horns. Though he’d deny it until his dying day, Scotti screamed at the pterodactyl’s sudden appearance. The baker stumbled over Howard’s prone form to crash butt-first onto the bakery’s little porch. Scarred hands lifted in a show of peace. “Easy there, uh, girl.”

With silent steps, the Hawlucha dropped onto the ground behind the unsightly bird. Its muscles bunched as he prepared a Brick Break. As he jumped, the Aerodactyl lunged for his trainer’s face. Noticing the tongue, the bird used his wings to clumsily redirect himself. He collided with the awning with a solid CLANG.

The link received a shudder in response. All of those teeth had been an inch or two from turning him into a comic book villain. Awkwardly, he petted the reptile’s neck. “I’ve uh—does that count as first base?” Not wanting to be rude, he waited for the bird to turn before wiping spittle from his face. As Howard sprang to his feet, Biscotti couldn’t help but feel he’d been duped. Guy’s a drama queen.

Pushing himself to his feet, Biscotti tugged the door open. He listened to the vagabond’s introduction. It sounded like he’d met someone fancy. “I’m, uh, Biscotti—” He spared a glance for the chattering Zubat outside. To his surprise, they’d flown off at the Aerodactyl’s appearance. Maybe it’d be worth the free food after all. “--baker.”

He walked toward the deli case. A little sign on the counter showed ‘Be Back in 15 Minutes’. “Anything catch your eye?” With all the bat trouble, a lot of the stuff would either be donated or tossed out at the day’s end. He doubted Cannoli would mind him feeding a stray. As long as he didn’t make a habit out of it or anything.

[attr="class","bisc"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Sept 3, 2023 18:38:04 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Labeling Howard as a stray was the seventh nicest description he had ever received. Right behind 'homeless man' and 'minimum wage'.

"Yay! Thank you, Biscotti!" Howard beamed at him. Nobody could ever claim that a baker was a villain. Bakers were the nicest people in the universe, unless it was during a famine. Then they, like everyone, turned sour. Food made the world go round, and a full belly was the fastest way to a mutual understanding. After all, who didn't like food?

Howard definitely did.

"Wow~ Everything looks incredible! This bakery is yours?" Howard followed Biscotti inside, and quickly began looking around. Chairs! Tables! Even a deli! If this place had Wi-Fi, it would've been perfect for when Howard was back in grad school. He could spend an eternity here, smelling bakers bake fresh bread while nursing a coffee and a cold cut sandwich!

Perfect.

Shirley growled, and Howard turned to her. "Don't ruin this for me." Howard hissed, before giving her a saltine cracker. He was not going to tear up the kind baker's source of living. Shirley had a tendency to just do, as smart as she was. Hopefully the crackers would keep her content.

"Oh, wow. I don't know what to choose!" In a surprising about of restraint, Howard didn't touch the case. Smudges were annoying, and he was positively filthy after his hiking incident. It all looked so good. "Ah, that one!" Howard gestured towards a fluffy croissant sandwich with ham and cheese. "I'll share it with Shirley! But... is this okay? If you're just a part-timer they hired, I don't want to put you out."

Howard threatened to wilt for the third time in a few minutes. This guy was either an excellent actor, or had the constitution of Cookies au Fromage. Or, maybe Biscotti was right, and he was just a drama queen.

Yeah, that was probably it.

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2023 4:04:00 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]The young man couldn’t help but grin back. Throw this dog a bone (or a compliment), and he’ll do almost anything for you. This is proven by all the burn marks and jab marks on his skin. Most of them are the result of parlor tricks. Dangerous bouts of self-harm motivated by cheers from fake friends and real bullies. “No problem, my guy!” Biscotti replied. “We were gonna throw most of this stuff out anyway.” He shook his head. “Those bats are bad for business.” Even if they were cute as buttons. People were scared of them. Some BS about them carrying Pokerus or something.

The compliments drew a grin. Cannoli loved people enjoying the place. That was why she put so much work into it. “Thanks!” At the question of ownership, Biscotti’s cheeks flushed. He looked down at himself in disbelief. Do I look like I run a business to you? Hadn’t he just seen him trying to spook Zubat away with a broom? “Uh, no, it’s not mine.” Though, he supposed it kind of was in a tangential way. His last name was on the sign, after all. “My sister owns it.” Watching the archaeologist browse, Scotti took up a position behind the counter.

Then, after what felt like an eternity, the stray made a selection. Biscotti grinned as he pulled on his gloves.Snap! “Two ham and cheese croissants coming up!” At the question, the boy in the deli cabinet shook his head. “Sis won’t fire me.” He grins as he stands back up. “Cannoli’s a softie.”

[attr="class","bisc"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 10:12:17 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Biscotti... Cannoli...? Howard's head was spinning. There was a naming convention going on here. Was this a prank? Arceus's great prank on Howard was to name his saviors after delicious foodstuffs? Howard wasn't sure whether to laugh at the irony of the situation or break down into tears.

Given that he wasn't starving to death, Howard elected to go with the flow. You didn't bite the hand that fed you, after all. Even if that hand had just lost a fight with several Zubats while wielding a broom.

"Praise Cannoli! Praise Biscotti! You both are my saviors! I don't know your sister, but she just helped save my life. I'm in her debt, forevermore. If you ever need an archaeologist or geologist, let me know!" Howard slumped his head slightly. What sort of baker wonder duo needed geologists? He could teach them about ancient stone ovens, but who needed useless information like that?

"Wow... these look incredible." Howard said as he and his Aerodactyl slowly grew closer to the counter, to the ham and cheese croissants. Maybe there was hope for Hoenn, after all. The region would be a lot better if every citizen was a generous baker. "You're a wizard! A wheat and flour wizard and sugar wizard!"

Shirley growled in agreement.

"If you ever need my help, you gotta let me know! I'm serious!" Howard's eye flitted over the burns and scars. "I've got a lot of vaguely useful skills. I swear!"

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2024 2:09:42 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]This guy’s cracked. Maybe the heat got to him?Sure, he expected a bit of gratitude. But this was too much. Even if the fact that the guy seemed to be worshipping baked goods drew a chuckle. “Saved your life? I wouldn't go that far, man.” His cheeks reddened as the weirdo pledged undying fealty. “We donate the leftovers anyway.” He busied himself at the counter in an attempt to stop the gratitude from getting to him. “And, yeah, I’ll call you up if I ever need either of those.” Even if he doubted the favor would be useful, Scotti didn’t want to offend the guy.

It was probably hard enough having a useless degree. All that learning about ancient stuff, and you couldn’t even find food in a desert. If this encounter helped him do one thing, it was narrowing down his majors. At the talk of incredible, Biscotti’s eyes dropped to the counter. They looked like normal croissants to him. But he’d never eaten one out of a can. “Really?” Pre-made baked goods in their house? His mother would rather die. “The croissants are pretty easy to make.”

At this point, his cheeks were just going to stay red. When he tried replying the first time, a few words of embarrassed Paldean spilled out. He paused to reset. “I, uh, appreciate the compliment?” But he’d never been a wizard guy. He preferred sorcerors. “But there’s no sugar in these.” Pulling on a pair of gloves, Biscotti pulled out two croissants. He laid both on the counter in front of Howard, each wrapped in a store-branded napkin.

The insistence made Scotti nod. “I totally will! Promise!” He turns toward the window. A cookie appeared in his mouth. He nibbled on it as he tried to find some way to make this guy feel less useless. As a terminally ill kid, he totally knew what that felt like. “You up for scaring away some Zubat?” Judging by the fact that his Hawlucha hadn’t come down, his attempts had been a grade-A failure.

Typical Scotti. Always the dorky groomsman, never the bride—er, groom.

[attr="class","bisc"]

close tab

played by

Magnetic

The Galarian
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,713 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
POSTED ON Mar 17, 2024 0:38:31 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
At the prospect of actually paying for his meal with deeds instead of words, Howard's eye grew as massive as the croissants in his hand. Words were wind, and actions were what mattered. If he could both help Biscotti and avoid feeling guilt for not paying, that was fine by him.

"Yes. Of course!" Howard nodded once then twice as he slid the wrapped foodstuffs into his pocket and took a deep breath. He was a warrior steeling himself for the battlefield. "You've got it, Biscotti. You'll be Zubatless when I'm done here."

He seemed oddly confident despite being on the brink of physical collapse mere minutes ago.

The door to the shop opened as Howard marched outside with Shirley on his heels. Despite the archaeologist's odd demeanor, his Aerodactyl was an ancient, primal beast. Her teeth were serrated, her jaw powerful, her eyes bright and alert. It was a strong Pokémon, no doubt about it.

"Zubats, for the sake of my croissant, you must be excised." Howard peered up at the rafters outside the shop where the Zubats had been originally. He didn't see Biscotti's Hawlucha, though. After a moment of contemplation, Howard coughed into his fist.

"Shirley?"

The Aerodactyl looked at him with a questioning growl.

"Give 'em a scare, would you?"

The Aerodactyl flew upwards with a glint in her eye. As she grew close to the Zubats, her face gleamed with a ferocious, terrifying glare as she roared directly into the Zubats' faces. Even if the Zubats couldn't see her Scary Face, they could certainly hear it.

close tab

played by

Dyfalu

Scotti
He/Him
January 23
Wyndon
Bisexual
Cake Decorator
Cadet
awards
272 posts
part of
TAG WITH @biscotti
Biscotti Kingsley
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2024 2:11:56 GMT
Biscotti Kingsley Avatar

[attr="class","blbqimg"]
[attr="class","bisc"]Score! The teenager grinned. “Awesome! Thanks a mill!” The bats knew his Pokemon were wimps at this point. They’d watched Jangle carry donuts to old people’s cars and knew the Hawlucha liked napping in the front window. Or, uh, they could probably guess that. He didn’t really know how echolocation worked.

Labrador eyes blinked in surprise as the rock guy stuffed a sandwich in his pocket. Then, as suddenly as he came in, he was racing outside. “Uh, Howard, I didn’t mean you had to go—” But, by the time he finished his sentence, it was drowned out by the jingling of the bell. This noise was punctuated by a second door opening as his Hawlucha came in by way of a garden path.

With a smirk, the lazy bird ran to watch the fight. Realizing he was still behind the counter, Biscotti turned to do the same. Luckily, no one saw him hit the deck as he stumbled over a bar stool. By the time he got there, it was almost over. Turns out it was kind of one-sided.

Even inside, the roar was deafening. Some part of him almost felt bad as the first Zubat fluttered frantically past the window. Soon enough, its other brethren took off in a flurry of violet wing flaps. A few Supersonics were half-heartedly thrown the Aerodactyl's way as the pests sought out alternate roosts.

[attr="class","bisc"]

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights