awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Apr 30, 2023 8:18:45 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“See, this is why I warned everyone at the last meeting to not come out here to the lower levels alone.”

The ice had gotten much thicker than the last two times that he’d made the trip down here—the first time with , the second with .

Maybe he would be the trick to actually get the Iceborne Mirage to talk…?

“The ice here keeps growing out of control, it’s scared off the Glastrier that runs free around these parts—and before you ask, yes, that Glastrier is mine, I can’t contain them either because you know. Tropical region and all that shit. They melt.”

In a manner of speaking.

“Also, violence didn’t work either…” he trailed off, unable to resist the brief snort that escaped him for a few moments. Clearly the ladies he’d asked to accompany him down here so far took a heavy-handed stance when it came to dealing with the rogue Mirage…

“So maybe just you and me, and trying to talk or at the very least reach out to them would work?!”

Hell, he didn’t even want to know if bringing down here would be a good idea because. Well.

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
everyone's a sucker for a taste of glory
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON May 4, 2023 8:17:13 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliestag"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] Ice crunches underfoot as he joins his best friend at shoal cave. He's wearing one of old uniforms (his own was still dirty from a mission that he'd recently gone on), as an sage-green scarf that had been lovingly gifted to him by once.

[break][break] Ollie nods along to his friends words, even though he - as per usual - only understands some of what the other says. Despite being around for months, Hoenn still proved to be an enigma for him.

[break][break] "Have you tried calling it out? I've got a Tropius with Sweet Scent. An Ursaring too."

[break][break] He holds up a pokeball to be sure, though doesn't call the pokemon out. After all, with these frosty temperatures, there's a good chance that his Tropius would have frozen alongside everything else.

[break][break] "What if you just like. Think really hard. Maybe it'll sense you're... talking to it?" His brow furrows. "When Eva and I were kids, and she locked herself in her room, I would be really annoying until she had no choice but to get out."

[attr="class","olliespoke"]

[newclass=.ollies]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.olliesmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:80px 45px 45px 45px;text-align:justify;font-size:11.5px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass][newclass=.olliestag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323; border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35); border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass][newclass=.ollies b] color: #D49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies i] color: #808080; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #808080; font-size: 12px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 13px Poppins!important; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.olliespoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON May 21, 2023 18:39:26 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You know, the last time I was here the entire cavern before their chamber was flooded. That’s all about I can say,” he began quietly.

Normally, this portion of the cavern never flooded because of their presence, but well…

He felt his throat go dry at the thought.

“I’ve been trying that ever since. Well, ever since I’ve ran into this problem. Unfortunately they’re not answering—no matter how long, or how hard I try.”

He sighed.

“You think I should lure them out? But then again… what the hell do we use to lure out a legendary Pokémon? Pretty sure Sweet Scent isn’t going to cut it at all. Not even close.”

He wondered if the way to lure out the snarky one was with… no, no, he couldn’t think of that.

“Here.”

And just like the last time he went down here with , he put an extra overcoat around the other man’s shoulders.

“Don’t want you dying or getting frostbite. And… whatever happens the moment we enter there? Stay behind me.”

The thick wall of glistening ice loomed ahead of them.

“That’s their cavern right behind that wall of ice.”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2023 7:28:50 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] 'Flooded?'

[break][break] "Damn."

[break][break] Lars' bird-friend really wanted to keep him out, huh? Not that he didn't think that Lars could handle it. After all, rangers like the two of them were built for the hard-stuff.

[break][break] "Well, have you tried? You don't know until you try."

[break][break] The Head Ranger was a courageous person, Ollie knew that, but sometimes he could be such a scaredy-cat.

[break][break] He blinks as the other procures a coat out of seemingly nowhere and drapes the coat over his shoulders. He lets out a laugh. "What - are you saying you'll protect me, Lars? Cute." He smirks. There is something but a spark of warmth as the other's touch leaves him, cheeks lightly flushed due to the cold, angling his head as he watches Lars stare at the ice sheet wall with all the seriousness of a Ursaring and it's honey.

[break][break] "Alright - out with it. Tell me everything you've tried so we can know where to start."

[break][break] "Big Brother Ollie's here to save the day."

[break]

[newclass=.ollies]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.olliesmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:80px 45px 45px 45px;text-align:justify;font-size:11.5px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass][newclass=.olliestag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323; border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35); border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass][newclass=.ollies b] color: #D49736; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies i] color: #808080; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #808080; font-size: 12px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass][newclass=.ollies a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 13px Poppins!important; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.olliespoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2023 18:47:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Please, when I brought my cousin down here to help me she almost got frostbite had I not lent her my overcoat,” he retorted back, resisting the urge to roll his eyes skyward because goodness me, what the fresh fucking hell?

Either way.

“They’re a Legendary Pokémon, idiota, I’m more than certain their temperament is way different as compared to a normal Pokémon,” he hummed a few moments afterward.

He knew that fire didn’t work (thanks cousin ) and then threats of flooding the place (whoops, hi ) didn’t work, so who knew if the snarky one was being either a little shit, or just making things way harder for him than normal?!

“Alright, so…” he continued as he looked over at the perpetually-thickening ice wall before swallowing the nerves down, “…when I came down here with my cousin, she tried to incinerate the ice away but fat load of good that shit did, she almost got frostbite,” he recalled with a shudder.

“And then the other instance? Well, let’s just say my other companion wanted to flood the entire place with sea water…” he trailed off with nervous laughter.

Once the nerves were gone, he settled down—somewhat.

“So you think good ol’ diplomacy might be the solution here?”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2023 21:59:23 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] "You mean Elinor?" He raises a brow, even as he tucks his hands into Lars' overcoat. "Come on. You comparing me to her? She looks like she'd blow over if a Pidgeotto knocked her down."

[break][break] No offense to , but the councilwoman didn't exactly look like the kind of person that could put up in a storm.

[break][break] As fun as teasing was, Ollie knew that this was serious stuff. He was right. Legendary pokemon were no joke compared to a regular pokemon... or so he assumed. In all actuality, Ollie knew very little about legendaries.

[break][break] "What'd she try to incinerate the ice with? Just a regular fire attack?"

[break][break] His brow worried into a frown as he considered their options. It didn't really bode well for them if fire-type moves didn't work, considering that had initially been Ollie's plan of action. Frostbite didn't sound so fun either.

[break][break] His eyes widen at the mention of 's attempt, before breaking out into a laugh.

[break][break] "Flooding it? Well, even I know that's not a good idea."

[break][break] "Can't imagine Mr. McFreezy takes kindly to threats."

[break][break] Looking away from the ice walls, he glances at .

[break][break] "Well. Doesn't hurt to try, right? You got a psychic pokemon handy? Maybe you could bridge a connection — aren't you avatars supposed to have a super secret special one?"

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2023 9:10:18 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You haven’t seen her fight yet, have you?”

The beginnings of a bemused smirk flashed across his face.

“Let’s just say she’s got Pokémon that are as fiery as her temperament. She’s a nut for battling, like, she’s also collecting badges like me! I’onno if she’s going to challenge the Elite Four though…”

He frowned for a few moments. Sure, he had more than enough badges to actually attempt a challenge, however fact of the matter was he felt that getting the badges alone would be enough for him.

(Just his completionist tendencies kicking in.)

“She brought out the whole squad. That was… four, five, I think six Fire-types, plus she also smashed the ice wall with a Z-move, from the look of things.”

He remembered seeing her Aggron there, literally throwing a full-body tackle against the wall the previous time he’d been here.

The moment he mentioned the connection, though, he couldn’t help but let out a snort.

“You know. Out of all the known Legendary Pokémon that are on the side of the League, mine’s the chattiest. However, it’s like… after the meteor incident? That connection just. It’s snapped. It’s gone.”

And that was where he had to fight down the urge to panic.

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 7:11:06 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] 's battling prowess was no secret, especially not in the Rangers. Even when she'd taken her Council Seat, there had been some who'd wondered why she hadn't just tried for Elite Four instead.

[break][break] "I have! She's amazing," Ollie said, giving a short laugh. "You sound like her Dad, Lars." Proud.

[break][break] "But what's her fighting have to do with anything?" He reaches over, pushing a finger into third rib. " She still looked like she could fall over." Like she needed to be protected. It was how he felt about at least. Even with a mighty patreon to follow after her, there would never be a part of him that didn't always want to protect her. Fight for her.

[break][break] 'Hurt someone else for her.'

[break][break] Something burned in his gut at the thought of , but he pushed it down.

[break][break] "Chattiest, huh?" His lips pursed in disbelief. As long as he'd known his friend, Lars had never really been the type of person that he thought would've enjoyed someone so chatty — then again, Lars put up with him all this time. Maybe Articuno was really throwing a temper tantrum?

[break][break] "Stop freaking out!"

[break][break] He pushed his fingers again against Lars' ribs, this time pinching him into wakefulness.

[break][break] "You can't know until you try, right? So try."

[break][break] For the first time in a long while, Ollie's expression was serious.

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2023 17:48:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Not even her fighting spirit burned hot enough in the face of that frigid wind when the ice wall was smashed down. We basically got a screaming screech to the face, and I had to get her out of there because the way the wind washed over the both of us. Well, you know how I’m normally not affected by the cold, but she is?”

He paused for a few moments.

“…we were both affected, though mine was to a lesser extent. My… my cold immunity isn’t exactly fully there unlike most times, if you catch my drift.”

And of course he was proud of his cousin dearest. Blood was definitely thicker than ice water, after all.

He had to swallow down a gulp of air because holy shit on a stick, this was bad! He was about to crack open like an egg when he realized that Ollie had gone right prodded him in the chest.

“R-right…” he continued nervously, approaching the wall of ice and tentatively touching his right hand against it.

For the first time in a long time…

He felt cold.

“…shit.”

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2023 22:10:56 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] her fighting spirit huh?

[break][break] ollie wasn't sure if he'd ever seen that way, but maybe it was because he'd never been in battle against her before.

[break][break] his lips turn into a frown as continues his terrible tale.

[break][break] "well, a little cold never hurt anyone. you'll be fine, lars."

[break][break] right? right?

[break][break] a hand reaches out behind his friend, chest pressing against the other's back, to touch the wall beside him.

[break][break] "... that's pretty cold." he clears his throat, stepping away from lars again and looking deeper into the tunnel.

[break][break] "anyways! lars, come on. let's get on with it." a frigid blast fluttered through his fluffy coat that had given him. "call out your psychic connection, or whatever."

[break][break] "maybe if you shout loud enough, it'll hear you...?"

[break]

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 1, 2023 9:04:54 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“They’re not… exactly a fan of extremely loud noise. We found that out the hard way.”

See: the time when cousin dearest tried to incinerate down the frigid wall with enough heat it was almost like being caught in hellfire.

He squinted through the wall of ice, trying to pick out something through the gloom. The ice was thick, so how the shit was he going to see through it all?!

“Alright, let me try something else.”

He then stepped back and began knocking on the frigid surface. Softly, at first, before becoming more and more incessant and louder the longer they waited.

“Stand back!” he warned the other just in case the wall exploded outward and caught them both in a nasty ‘trap’.

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2023 17:48:54 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] "tried that out already, huh?"

[break][break] a wrinkle furrowed itself into ollie's forehead.

[break][break] ollie wasn't exactly sure why lars had chosen him out of all people to come here. after all, it wasn't like he had much experience with working with legendary pokemon. he thought back to the very first time that he had seen one. with and .

[break][break] "well - " before he could even get the words back to the drawing board out, lars had stepped forward. he watched in apprehension as his cousin knocked on the thickened ice wall. knock, knock.

[break][break] nothing.

[break][break] his arms wrapped around the jacket, burrowing deeper. it was colder now, wasn't it?

[break][break] "maybe try singing."

[break][break] "or something to trigger some other memory the two of you must have together. if it's as stubborn as you, i bet you'll have to dig real deep in order to find something to connect you both."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2023 18:10:52 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Since the knocking didn’t work, it was pretty much…

The moment la idiota mentioned singing, he came to a stop before he whirled around and blinked at him.

“I… I did that, but for a different Pokémon… my Lapras,” he mused quietly. “Who I found just a few caverns away from here.”

The notion of him singing to the Mirage, though? That was…

“…sadly they don’t speak Italian Alto Marean, so that’s out of the picture… however…”

The other point of having a shared memory did strike a chord… the problem was most of the best memories he could immediately recall were either in dire, extreme situations or…

“…shit. I think. I think I just realized something,” he spoke up after what felt like five minutes’ of silence had lapsed between them.

close tab

played by

milky

ollie, oliver
he/him
august 5
pallet town, kanto
bi (complicated)
evergrande
head ranger
awards
2,321 posts
part of
TAG WITH @ollie
ollie morales
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2023 19:24:40 GMT
ollie morales Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ollies"]
[attr="class","olliesmain"] it was said as a half-joke, but perhaps the context of the scenario made it different. ollie's surprised when lars takes his suggestions seriously, and even moreso at the silence that lapses between them.

[break][break] he finds that he has nothing to say.

[break][break] the ranger thinks about his own memories with his pokemon. what would he have done if he had lost tofu like this? or pistachio? what kind of memories would he have thought to bring up with them?

[break][break] none of ollie's pokemon had ever run away from him. at least, not since he was a kid, with and their brothers at the farm.

[break][break] he blinks, when the silence is broken.

[break][break] "what'd you realize?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,792 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
another try [s][c]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 15:23:09 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You mentioned something about a shared memory. See, the thing is…”

He then sat down on a nearby rock because even he couldn’t believe the words that he was going to say next.

“The last time I heard their voice in my head… was before everyone who was deployed to handle the Meteno situation returned back here. Like… when we did get back to Hoenn, crash-landed near Oldale, the thing is…”

He then reached into his pocket to pull a cigarette out and light it.

“After that thing… came out of the rift, it blasted both me, and th-them, and blasted us in the face, w-with ice. Ice… far colder than. Than what we’re used to. It… we a-almost… died, th-that day.”

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights