Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 11:19:52 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

He’s never made a big deal out of liking this place. New establishments are hit or miss. More often than not, they’re misses. Ever since Howling at the Moon opened its doors, Navy has been a quiet regular. Drinking, eating, not paying any mind to the dark dealings behind the scenes. Not his business. Not his lane. Before throwing his hat into the ring with the League, he couldn’t care less.[break][break]

It’s not like he’s really going anywhere. Not permanently. Just moving out of the city. Down to Dewford. On to bigger and better things, where his star will continue to rise – or so he hopes. A world of troubles, and he feels like he’s going away forever ‘cause he won’t have easy access to his favorite burger.[break][break]

Hey, boss.” He says as he sits down at the bar stool. Every bartender in the world’s ‘boss’ to him. They run the show. He is but a simple sailor along for the ride. Smiling at the bartender behind the counter, he orders what he always orders.[break][break]

Gimme a burger. Kill an extra spoink if you gotta, I want that bad boy loaded up with bacon. Moving out of the city, want this burg to be somethin’ to remember. Throw in a beer, too.” He swore off drinking alone, but one last beer for the road won’t kill him.[break][break]

Gonna miss this place.” He smiles, but the tone is melancholy. Endings are always hard, and moving away is as much an ending as it is a new beginning.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 15:03:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Funny. You might be the first guy I've seen come to a place like this to remember." Bars weren't exactly places where one made memories. At least, not the kind people wanted to remember. The Howling was no musty hole in the wall, but a bar was still a bar. At least, it was when it wasn't a front for Rocket dealings.[break][break]

It occurred to Isaac that, if he went through with what he'd told , it wouldn't just be the regulars saying goodbye. This was no place for a traitor, and Rocket had no headsman better than . It was a shame. This place had become a home for him after all this time. Losing it would hurt almost as much as the inevitable attempts on his life.[break][break]

"Well, lets make this the best damn burger we've got," Isaac said. The Howling put the gastro in gastropub. It was renowned for its delicious food. Nevertheless, Isaac knew when push came to shove, he'd be able to kick it up another notch. "Just going for that meat on meat? Or do you want it rigged up with all the extras?" Soon as the order was specified, he'd send it off to the kitchen, then get Navy a nice, heavy pour of his favorite beer.[break][break]

"Hey, think of it this way. 'Least you found a place missing all this for," he said, shooting Navy a sympathetic smile. "Where're you headed?"

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 15:11:52 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Oh, load ‘er up. House sauce. Some mayo. Just hold the pickles.” No Navidson man worth the last name likes pickles. If his options were boxing an Urshifu with one hand tied behind his back or eating a pickle, he’d pick the Urshifu every time.[break][break]
Too right though, boss. Sad to say it’s a job pulling me away. You’ll never believe this. They’re ‘bout to make me the gym leader down in Dewford.” Navy’s walked both sides of the law in his time. He doesn’t know the full extent of what goes on here, or who owns the joint. Best not to ask those kinds of questions or mix business with pleasure. It’s kept him from getting jumped here, at the very least. All the same, he knows enough to know that might mean something more to someone who works here.[break][break]
Dewford was a triumph for the criminal elements of the region. A rallying point. A flag they can hold high over the League and say we won with smug satisfaction. The silver lining there seems to be the fire it lit under the ass of the League.[break][break]
Think I remember something ‘bout you saying you do the gym challenge. You oughtta hop on down when you’re not too busy listening to drunks talk about the one who got away.” He pulls the poured draft close and drinks deep. One last night here. One last chance to drink it up, live good. Enjoy civilian life. Battle lines are being drawn. A man can’t stay neutral in times like these forever.[break][break]
Between you n’ me, it’s gonna be a bit mean, but someone’s gotta scare these kids straight if they think they’re gonna go off and play heroes.

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2023 18:09:39 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"No pickles, plenty of sauce, all the other highlights. You got it, man," Isaac said, flashing Navy a winning smile. He brought the order over to the kitchen, tucking some cash behind it when nobody else was looking. What better way to ensure a burger of renown than to grease the wheels? Money talks, and kitchen crews listen.[break][break]

Dewford was what Isaac had hoped Rocket could be. Painted in shades of grey by the shadows it was cast in, it was where the outlaws and renegades put enough pressure on the League to spur them into action. On the surface, there was a time where Rocket seemed to be doing the same. They tried to present themselves as something new, something better than the old days and the League alike. Their efforts even forced the League to take on new endeavors to stop looking so bad by comparison.[break][break]

Then war came to Mt. Pyre and Littleroot and Rocket's mask came right off.[break][break]

Even now, Isaac could see the little shifts in the room as Navy mentioned his new position. Their conversation had caught a few eyes, and Isaac could feel people looking at Navy from the corner of their eyes. He wondered if any of them planned on trying something when Navy left the bar.[break][break]

"Hold that thought," Isaac said, seeing he was being flagged down on the other end of the bar. Of course, someone wanted to buy Navy a drink. Of course, they picked a Long Island, which was basically alcohol on top of alcohol. Subtle. Real subtle. And he was a wise guy, too, asking for the same drink for himself so Isaac couldn't make any cheeky substitutions. He made the drink to order, because as a bartender that was his job.[break][break]

He headed over to Navy, sliding him the drink. "Looks like someone wanted to say congrats," he said, his jovial smile hiding the slight tone of warning to his voice. "Guess they're as excited for the new stomping ground as you are."[break][break]

"But between you and me, might be best to keep your plans quiet for a bit," Isaac suggested. "Wouldn't wanna spoil the fun for everyone, eh?"[break][break]

The burger would come out just in the nick of time. It'd at least help keep Navy occupied. The last thing Isaac wanted was for loose lips to sink his ships.[break][break]

Besides, he had an idea.

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 21:25:28 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

He hates his voice. There’s nothing wrong with its pitch, tone, or cadence necessarily. Navy’s never pinned down exactly why, but his voice carries. Even when there’s loud music playing, or other conversations. In another lifetime, were he some leader rallying troops, it would help make him a great leader. In this tasty little gastropub, it just might get him shanked.[break][break]

Even a second-rate detective can pick up on the mood swing in the room. Men are whispering to each other. Rockets? Maybe just people with connections. No, not necessarily. There’s plenty of people who hate the League who aren’t Rockets. Plenty of desperate folk who’d probably want to collect the prize money someone would surely pay for his head, if he’s truly going to be a gym leader.[break][break]

When the iced tea is slid his way, Navy’s expression sours. He tries to hide it, turning away from the man who bought him the drink. If he wasn’t on the wrong side of the tracks, he’d think it was a congratulatory drink. Here, it’s bait.[break][break]

I don’t go in for the hard stuff anymore.” That’s the line he decides to go with after momentary consideration. “Just this one beer’s all I’m having tonight.” He sips on it to make the point.[break][break]

Get your meaning though, boss.” And he chows down into the burger, savoring the flavor. While he eats, savoring every last bite despite the predicament he’s found himself in, he thanks Arceus he brings his team with him everywhere. Nothing serves as a deterrent for trouble quite like having a full team of six on your hip.[break][break]

He makes an active attempt to be quiet this time. Lowering his voice as he swallows the last bite, so that only the bartender can hear.[break][break]

…man, didn’t think the reaction would be that poor.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 21:57:44 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]With a bemused shrug, Isaac headed back to offer the very subtle man his rejected drink. He took it in a huff, slamming it down perhaps a little too fast. Not surprising. Anyone who was willing to make such a bold statement in a public establishment was probably way less of a threat than they thought they were. But what bar didn't attract wannabe toughs?[break][break]

No. It wasn't that lot that Isaac was worried about. They were more a danger to themselves than anyone else. It was the more subtle types, the ones who could say the right words, pull the right strings, and figure out how to get ahead of a new threat to Team Rocket before it could take root. The deeper battle lines got drawn, the more Isaac wondered if the preemptive strikes would begin.[break][break]

He wondered when this war would truly return to Hoenn's shores.[break][break]

Isaac shot Navy a sad, sympathetic smile. "Slateport's a town that's been a lot," he responded, voice similarly soft and subtle. "Lotta haves, lotta have-nots. Things can get a bit frayed when someone goes around showing off." Like hell was he going to share the secrets of the Howling's back rooms. If he had to fall back on the old class warfare card to put a subtle end to this situation, he would.[break][break]

Besides, it wasn't exactly wrong. Whether scarred by Rocket's past actions in Slateport, or resentful of the League leaving them behind, there were a lot of dissatisfied people under the surface of Hoenn's biggest city. Sometimes Isaac wondered, when the war reignited in earnest, where their allegiances would fall.[break][break]

"Don't let 'em get ya down, though," Isaac said. For every group of men whispering to one another, there were others doing private toasts at their tables or just peacefully minding their own business. It wasn't like this place would just melt into a barroom blitz. "Can't worry about what every guy three beers deep has to say about your big win, yeah?"[break][break]

He took a glance over his shoulder, noting the time. "Y'know, my shift's over in fifteen," he said, a sly smile on his face. "Walk and talk after?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2023 0:30:38 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Maybe he is just bugging out. Maybe he just wants a fight. There’s truth that lives and truth that dies. The truth that maybe, maybe he said the wrong thing at the wrong place is a truth he’s happy to let die. If there’s consequences, they won’t be so overt. He’ll quietly slip out after his meal, walk quick, have Vortigern ready to come out and then Shuwen ready to subdue him.[break][break]

If someone wants to step up to him, they’ll get to meet the black dragon. Having learned the rules of this concrete jungle long ago, he knows he can’t play around. Don’t let them think you’re weak. Don’t make yourself out to be a mark. Never, ever humor a dumb request.[break][break]

Never poke your head up when you’re at war. That’s the lesson he learned in April, spelled out plain as day: they’re at war. It’s harder to pretend that they’re not every day. People go missing. Certain criminal elements grow bolder. Dissent is spreading. Even government leaders aren’t safe. Someone kidnapped Anderson and Henderson. They can make a fledgling gym leader disappear easy…[break][break]

So, when the bartender, a man Navy realizes only now he knows as ‘boss’ rather than any concrete name even after eating here for so long, offers to walk with him after his shift ends, he readily agrees. Navy doesn’t try and hide his gratitude when he nods. Maybe it’s his imagination, but his gut tells him this is man is kind. Two heads are better than one.[break][break]

Hell yeah, sounds good. Nothin’ like a cool Slateport night to help cool off after work, huh?” By the time he’s done with his burger, there’s only five minutes left on the clock. Slipping his money down, Navy smiles up at his bartender. “I’ll be hangin’ out on the corner.”[break][break]

As he stands, he finally thinks to ask a question that would earn him a stern look from any seasoned detective. This is a question that should have been asked months ago.[break][break]

Don’t think I’ve ever asked your name. Mine’s Navy.” The card says Michael Navidson.[break][break]

Either way, he’s true to his word. Hanging out under a streetlamp. The one trace of his paranoia left had Hattori slip out of his ball when no one was looking. The Greninja isn’t to do anything sneaky or underhanded. Navy just prefers having a guardian angel looking out for him from the rooftops. That’s what Greninjas are good for, after all – among a thousand other things.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2023 17:22:01 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Name's Isaac," he answered, flashing Navy a winning smile. "Good to finally meet ya." It was a bit of a shame it was in the last moments of Navy's stay in Slateport. It was another shame that it was to be a chaperone, just in case any particularly fervent patients had any bright ideas. But at least now he could kill two birds with one stone; find out more about the gym challenge and get to know a pretty cool guy along the way.[break][break]

Luckily for Navy, Slateport's lower district was one of the most lively places in the city at this hour. Whereas the Upper District went to sleep for the night, and the Outskirts remained in a state of neglect and discontentment, the Lower Districts were practically nocturnal. Bars, night markets, clubs, and battling rings lit up all along the city. Navy would find himself not a single point of light in the darkness, but a man surrounded by a city that had just woken up.[break][break]

Isaac grinned as he joined him. Lower Slateport was always one of his favorite corners of Hoenn, and he'd only grown to appreciate it more since he started working at the Howling. Much like Navy, he was going to miss it when he was gone. But at least he could always visit, so long as he kept an eye out for any former colleagues that took issue with his choices.[break][break]

"Good to see ya, boss," he teased, offering the patron-turned-gym-leader a fistbump. "Gotta say? You picked the perfect time for a farewell tour. Peak Slateport hours right here." He nodded over towards the city as it seemed to light up before their eyes, the world asleep but its people more awake than ever.[break][break]

"Now. Where were we?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2023 13:20:28 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Isaac speaks no lies. This city never sleeps. Its soul comes alive with the dying of the light. It bathes itself in neon. All the cares and responsibilities of the day are forgotten in favor of the dance. It’s a dance whose moves trace back to the founding of the human race. Man at its roots knows that play is a far nobler pursuit than work, a fact made self-evident when you see men at play.[break]
This place is a feast for the senses. Were it not for the good burger now digesting in the gym leader’s gut, the many street vendors hawking hot dogs would make his mouth water. They carry the most exquisite smell, bacon grease mingling with butter and soft grilling onions. Women dressed in just enough to send fireworks off in the mind’s eye line the streets, waiting to get into clubs guarded by men that make Snorlax look small.[break][break]
Music of every make and mean is played. Music accentuates the dance. Old music that recalls better days stands in direct opposition to new hits that insist upon their right to be there. People move their bodies in these moments soon lost to time, glistening with sweat in the neon.
This is what he gives up to go far away, committing himself to a thankless task. He will dive day in and day out into a midnight sea where horrors these people would never consider dwell. It will be a thankless task, with credit doled out to the council who sponsored the task force rather than the man spearheading their offensive.[break][break]
Hey, always treat the people who serve your food right.” The wayward son returns the fistbump with an easy smile and a confident timbre. “We were at the part where I was sayin’ I’m gonna be a gym leader.” No one can hear them now, not unless they’re upon the two like a Pyroar about to strike its prey.[break][break]
Guess there’ll still be college kids. Whole town’s overrun with something viler than Giratina.” He’s solemn, deadly serious. “Hipsters.”[break][break]
They’re of an age, Isaac and Navy. The latter wonders how much this near stranger has explored the restless city. There’s little places the tourists would never think to look. Walking down a stairway beside an unassuming pharmacy, they enter one such spot.[break][break]
Velvet blue walls lend an air of old dignity to the place. On the stage is a lone singer with hair the color of a calico cat, wearing a troubadour’s hat. He picks the blues. Each pluck of the strings is a magic spell that pulls them back to another age, a story just for the lucky few that know to walk the steps down or are lucky enough to stumble in out of the cold.[break][break]
Crazy how this city hasn’t changed much in fifteen years.” He reflects as he listens to the music. If any predator within this jungle has decided to slink into the oasis, Hattori has given Navy no signal regarding them.[break][break]
Not since I was old enough to figure out how to sneak out my window.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 12, 2023 17:13:20 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Good man." Treating food service well was a twofold test. On one habd, it was a test of common decency. This person was paid to be subservient to you. You could either relish in the rush of power placed in your otherwise-powerless lap and lord it over them, or you could resist power's lure and choose kindness. It was also a test of pragmatism. Would you really be so petty and so cruel as to bite the hand that feeds you?[break][break]

Ruefully, Isaac knew Rocket would. Worryingly, he knew it was working. He wondered how much of the region they'd pick clean to sate their gluttony.[break][break]

At the mention of his gym challenge, Isaac raised an eyebrow. "You mentioned it's to whip people into shape, yeah?" he asked. It had been one of the reasons he hushed Navy. Some gym leaders still focused on general trainer education and battle strategy. But Navy? Navy came in saying he'd turn the tide of the war.[break][break]

Maybe he had a reason to. Town was half smuggler's cove, half college town full of hipsters. Not surprising. Even in Hoenn, the town had a unique appeal. An island getaway within an island getaway. Navy had his work cut out for him if that was who he aimed to turn into a proper fighting force.[break][break]

They'd need it. Rocket's wars didn't discriminate.[break][break]

"Changed so much, but barely changed at all," Isaac mused. The blues wasn't normally his scene, but the dusky night, velvety atmosphere, and thoughts running through his head elevated it into something far more. Maybe there was something more to music than whatever sounds grabbed the ear first.[break][break]

"I'm from a small town, myself," Isaac admitted. Lavaridge. The name died on his tongue. Whether he was a runaway, a vagrant, or a special operative, he'd never set a single foot back in that town. Maybe this year'd be the year, but it was already halfway over. Time was running out. "Always had a weakness for thi place. It was everything home wasn't." Loud. Colorful. Ever-changing.[break][break]

Free.[break][break]

"So. What's your plan, man?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2023 3:28:42 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Plan?” He chews the word like it’s a steak. Turning it over, examining the individual words and syllables. The music fades as he remembers being bloodied beneath Dewford. Afraid, pulled through the rift. Only his fists and the hard lessons he learned kept him safe. He remembers the futures and pasts he saw there with – worlds whose only virtue is strength.[break][break]
Nights like these, under a sky polluted by manmade light, are luxuries born of an illusion. Navy knows well the hearts of man and what many will do when they don’t have to pretend to be things they aren’t. That’s the world Rocket would make, even if they don’t think so. It’s the sort of world Kanto has become, to hear tell what stories she will.[break][break]
I just want kids to know what they’re getting into.” The old push children out to fight. Their heads get filled with fantasies. They want to be the very best. All their journey leads them to is an early grave at the hands of monsters who fight dirty.[break][break]
Mum’s the word, obviously. Hoenn’s not like everywhere else, man. It’s hell to work for the League here. The League wants these kids to jump into the meat grinder. They ask for volunteers and then people end up way, way over their heads. They don’t know what they’re dealing with.” His eyes, darker in this velvet light, scan the smiling faces of the other patrons. There’s a pause. Consideration.[break][break]
I don’t want nights like tonight to stop, Isaac. I want the people who want to defend their home to know what they’re getting into. That way, it’s an informed decision. They’ll be ready.” He doesn’t know this man, but he prays he understands.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 13, 2023 18:56:41 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac had to admit, when he heard a gym leader sauntering in saying he'd whip the region into shape, his mind hopped to drill sergeants. It was a total about face from the chill vibe that Navy radiated, but if Isaac had learned anything about Hoenn, it was that people could surprise him.[break][break]

Imagine his surprise when the lack thereof proved to be the real shocker. Navy was every bit as genuine as he seemed. His goal wasn't to churn out a bunch of League sycophants. If anything, it was the opposite. He wanted to take the eager young recruits the League would toss into the war machine and ensure they knew what they were getting into.[break][break]

"Shoulda known it'd take a rebel to run Dewford," Isaac said, raising a glass Navy's way. Despite the mirth of the gesture, his eye was similarly distant and contemplative. It was hard not to think of the mantra he told , that war should be for soldiers.[break][break]

It was hard not to think of .[break][break]

"You're right, y'know," he admitted. "Sometimes, it feels like we're not allowed to have these days. Know too much. Seen too much. But . . . living so far away from it all, in a trench or on a hill, just means we lose touch of what we're really here for, doesn't it?" Music and booze and bright lights and dusky cities . . . None of ot mattered a bit on the battlefield, but there was nothing else that mattered more.[break][break]

"At least if people know what it takes, they'll be ready." He wasn't. And where he came from played for keeps way harder than Rocket ever could. "And they'll know how important it is to hold onto these days. Forgetting them's the worst thing you could ever do."[break][break]

As the singer's voice dropped to a particularly mournful croon, he remembered an idea he once had. A training program for Rocket, an option to test themselves in ways that weren't life or death missions or sneaking into gyms that weren't theirs. A way of seeing what each grunt was good at; their highs, their lows, their quirks, their lines. A way of making the Rocket experience easier and less dangerous for the little guys carrying the load.[break][break]

Turned out, Rocket wasn't about the little guy. And the danger was the point.[break][break]

"Are you?" he asked, realizing just how many things that question could even begin to mean. "Ready, that is."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2023 16:52:15 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Was he?[break][break]
He looks sad at that question. Not wounded by the words. Words are but a spade that digs into the flesh to uncover the truth of the soul. The truth of his soul is that he is ready. That he was always ready. That he has been running, bounding, loping from that truth since he was sixteen years old. Putting his life on hold so a boy could keep smiling in a world determined to take that smile from him.[break][break]
And in spite of that sacrifice, the world snuffed that smile forever. Gabriel Navidson’s troubles are over, and Navy is left questioning all the decisions made along the way like only a man with the privilege of hindsight can.[break][break]
I thought I wasn’t.” His admission is quick, these thoughts like lightning across the electric neurons of his brain. “Not ‘til Rocket grabbed the Seal Stone. I was just some dumb guy, caught in the middle of it all. Transported from place to place by the rift. Scared for my life. But somewhere along the way I just forgot to be scared.”[break][break]
and all the pain they inflicted upon one another helped. In pain there is clarity. Strife brings one’s mind into focus. A man can see his real character, who he is, what he is and is not capable of. Navy learned the terrible truth that he can stomach those battles.[break][break]
If he had just realized that sooner, if he had been at Sootopolis instead of Gabe…[break][break]
There is no use dwelling on what might have been. He tells himself that every time his mind strays from the path. Velvet light dances across his vision. On stage, a man talks about the crying wind and the real folk blues and how men Carry That Weight. They carry that weight for a long time.[break][break]
Can’t stand the League. Can’t stand Rocket. Just two more gangs that wanna be on top. But…best kid I ever met saw something worth fighting for in the League. Got him killed. The next kid’s not gonna die while I’ve got something to say about it.”[break][break]
If he was worried in the bar about being jumped, that fear faded as the trace amount of alcohol was filtered out of his bloodstream. What is left behind is focus. Intent. Anger at the world honed into a drive for action.[break][break]
Lost too many people sitting on the sidelines. Nights like this’ll keep comin’ ‘round if I have anything to say about it.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,325 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 2:31:34 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]For a man who took a role of gym leader to brazenly say he hated the League was like a rush of cold water to the face.[break][break]

Isaac knew not everyone who worked with the League was a die-hard loyalist. Despite that, he figured there were certain needs inherent to the role of gym leader. The League selected for those who served its needs, not the needs of the Hoenn region. It was a nepotistic council, the twelve strongest meat shields they could get their hands on, and an army of conscripts who thought they were serving something great. It was a failing system built atop the bodies of acceptable losses.[break][break]

That was Isaac had been told. Yet here was Navy, and here was Dewford. Despite their open disdain, they had a seat at the table.[break][break]

Isaac imagined what would happen if he walked up to , told him he couldn't stand Rocket, and that he better make him a Beast so he could set things right. The answer settled somewhere on "strung up in the sub to serve as an example." The League might not have liked what Navy had to say. It might not have listened to all of his ideas. But when push came to shove, they gave him the power and stage to share that disdain, even when it was aimed at them.[break][break]

So many people liked to say Rocket and the League were two sides of the same shitty coin. But they were shitty in two vastly different ways, and Isaac was feeling that difference like never before.[break][break]

How many good people did Isaac know who saw something worth fighting for in the League? , who despite their differences knew that there was a good buried within him. , who despite the immense risk it posed to her just wanted to protect the home and people she loved. , the big brother Isaac never had and the inspiration he wished he'd found before it was too late.[break][break]

Navy had lost people sitting on the sidelines. Isaac had lost people walking the line. Both of them, were they to follow their current paths, were heading towards sure obliteration. So, too, was the Hoenn region if it failed to prepare for Rocket. So, too, was the Hoenn region if it followed the League's word blind and thoughtlessly.[break][break]

Maybe if they both had their say, they could fight that future.[break][break]

"Y'know, half the reason I took the gym challenge is to see what it means to people," Isaac admitted. Every gym told a story. Every leader had a cause. Every fight taught a lesson. The purpose of the gym challenge wasn't just to be strong. It was to learn what strength truly meant. "Not like someone just runs a gym for shits and giggles, y'know?"[break][break]

"Almost feels to me like ours already started. And, hell. Can't think of a better gym for the people right now."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,258 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
One For The Road [M]
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 2:52:45 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

What, expecting my Garchomp to burst through the wall and force ya to rip one of your mons free?” He jests. Navy’s happy he’s comfortable enough with Vortigern’s existence to make jokes about him with people. Jokes imply comfort. Comfort implies familiarity.[break][break]
Don’t worry, we’re not on the clock yet. I doubt anyone’s gonna ask, but don’t tell anyone anything ‘bout the gym. I’m trying to make it ambiguous on paper. It defeats the whole point of the exercise for most people if they know what they’re walking into.” There are, of course, exceptions. Exceptions like Isaac, whose eyes betray that he already knows the stakes. He’s sat here listening to Navy talk without calling him a madman or threatening him. That takes a certain understanding.[break][break]
Arceus knows if their roles were reversed a few months ago, he wouldn’t want to hear any of it. He’d just drink himself into a stupor. Forget. Trust Kyle and the kids to take care of everything. You can’t sit on the sidelines forever. The world will just pass you by, and all the good you could have done will remain undone.[break][break]
That’s why you took the challenge, huh? Don’t wanna be a champ? How many badges are you rocking? For that matter…what’s your story? Can’t believe I haven’t asked you before now.” He turns his attention fully upon Isaac, reading him. Wondering what he’ll say. Ready to take in every droplet of information like it’s the last drop of water in the world. A habit picked up from years of scrutinizing others, doled out in friendship to those he considers interesting.

[break][break]