part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2023 21:11:33 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

THE RECENT INCIDENT AT DEVON CORP. is as good an excuse as any. it provides an open challenge to see who within the free market is capable of operating at this skill level. to subdue the leakage and provide a postmortem adequate to silph level expectations.

ultimately, it is only a hook to gather talent at the door. after all, DEVON CORP. is no longer the herald of hoenn. it is a glorified shell company, propped up on the gracious sentiments of its biggest competition: SILPH CO.

a fate, fernando argues, is being better than devoured by GREATER MAUVILLE HOLDINGS outright.

the door to the conference room props open at the end of the interview. it is , and not , who awaits.

good afternoon,” he acknowledges with a slim smile. “congratulations on making it through the first interview.

[attr="class","spiralpee"]

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
i can’t take this place, no i can’t take this place. i just wanna go where i can get some space.
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2023 19:28:46 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","petalbase"]
[attr="class","star1"]
[attr="class","circleoutline1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]This is, admittedly, a turn he can’t say he anticipated.[break][break]

The unexpected opportunity isn’t one to pass on–even someone as reclusive as Emerson knows that. The initial interview is something he navigates as carefully as possible. But he must have done something correctly despite feeling as if he’s hanging on by the skin of his teeth.[break][break]

Surely he would’ve been dismissed rather than left to briefly wait, after all.[break][break]

When the door opens a few minutes later, though, his eyebrows shoot up. Silph, himself? Is the need to tighten up around the premises enough that he’s chosen to step in on all interviews? Is he meeting every candidate? Despite his neat attire and presence, Emerson still feels keenly underdressed next to the CEO’s crisp appearance.[break][break]

“Oh! Hello..?” He curses himself internally for turning the greeting into a surprised question. His dangling jaw clicks closed. This is why he does better behind computer screens. Shame this isn’t a web conference call.[break][break]

Unconsciously, his posture straightens, chin tilting up. He resists the urge to fidget in front of , because he feels akin to a tiny minccino next to the councilman. Abruptly, the programmer stands, head nodding in acknowledgement. “Thank you, I greatly appreciate the opportunity.” He’s speaking, but Em feels outside of himself. The cogs of his mind whirring to catch up so that he’s not so profoundly meek from there on out.

[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]
[attr="class","petalpoke"]
[attr="class","rouxcredit"]

[newclass=.petalbase]font:11px roboto;--accent:#ad6c83;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalbase]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/zsBjQYG.png), #000; background-blend-mode: screen; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimg]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimg img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoke]text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoke img]margin-top:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star2 b]font-weight: bold; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2 i]text-decoration:italic; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star3] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/zsBjQYG.png), #000; background-blend-mode: screen; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredit]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2023 22:06:25 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

HIS VOICE MAY FADE OUT but the smile does not. he stands, looking emerson over once before taking a seat.

you can relax,” is the first thing he follows up with.

while everyone has their quicks–developers and scientist especially–not everyone reacts the same way. what might be a nervous tick in one person may be just a force of habit for another. he presumes nothing and reaches out with a generic blanket statement.

we judge candidates on specific skill sets, not necessarily on how eloquent they appear during interviews.

both hands sweep outward, opening up as they lay flat against the table.

but before we begin, mister whitlock, tell me a bit about yourself.

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
i can’t take this place, no i can’t take this place. i just wanna go where i can get some space.
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2023 18:17:24 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]It’s still surreal that he’s meeting with , himself. But it’d do him no favors if he deteriorated into a nervous wreck now, so Em tries to stuff down his awkward demeanor. Let the clang of his nerves fade to the back of his mind as best as he can manage.[break][break]
He wants to be impressive.[break][break]
Not that he’s too sure what will impress someone like the CEO. The offer for an interview in the first place is still a surprise that lingers in mind.[break][break]
Emerson sits back in his chair, forcing the tension out of his shoulders. A short wheeze of a laugh rattles out of his lungs. “Well that’s a relief,” he remarks wryly, before heat prickles the back of his neck. A sudden flush of nerves. Does he have a sense of humor about these things? Hell if Em knows.[break][break]
His head tilts, fingers linking together as he considers the suggestion.[break][break]
“Well, I can parrot back my credentials to you, but is that what you’re really looking for?” They’re all right there on paper, after all.

[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[newclass=.petalbase]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/zsBjQYG.png), #000; background-blend-mode: screen; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimg]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star3] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/zsBjQYG.png), #000; background-blend-mode: screen; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: cover; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredit]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2023 19:07:56 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

EMERSON LAUGHS. fernando smiles. far from forced, it is a more amicable expression than many of the league will know. how surprised were they to find his AMIGO account, rife with pictures that betray their conceived notion of him? after all, this is a man who has a good enough image to the general public.

to those who don’t know better.

hardly,” he chuckles. “resumes let me know if you can do the job but they tell me little about you. we set high goals here, at DEVON CORP, so those who qualify are almost assured their position.

so i want to know about whitlock, the person. why this career path? because you are proficient? because it pays well? what motivates you in these turbulent times?

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2023 14:53:18 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]The smile is one that Emerson doesn’t expect. It’s almost strange to see on Silph, given what he’s researched of the man, and really, it doesn’t seem all that disingenuous. Interesting.[break][break]
“Is it really an adequate goal if it isn’t set high from the start?”[break][break]
His head tilts, following the line of thought and the string of questions posed. It falls out of his mouth before he can present himself more modestly. “Well, of course I’m proficient.” Emerson, no matter how socially shy he might’ve been, was far more egotistical than most might assume. He knew what he could do in front of a computer. He knew he understood technology in a unique way.[break][break]
Perhaps it is because of who he is seated in front of that he can’t manage to stifle that side of him. The side of him that had made him successful as a hacker, beyond his normal day to day work in freelance IT. Em wanted to succeed in this. His stilted meekness faded, as it so often did when his occupation was involved.[break][break]
“I’m in this career because I enjoy it. I enjoy measuring myself against what I can improve upon, how I can go further. Technology and science develop at a rapid pace.” He taps at one temple. “I like to keep up. I like to be in front, if I can help it.”[break][break]
And this was the sort of company that would provide him the opportunity, no?
[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 23:23:26 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

HM.

fernando mulls his words, eyes rolling like a teetering scale. judgement weighs somewhere in the middle but is that what he needs?

if you want to be at the front of emerging technologies, then SILPH CO. is the ideal place to do it. however—"

he pauses.

you will find that the top can be very lonely, mister whitlock. opportunities granted to those willing to pioneer uncharted waters may find themselves pigeonholed when they return to land. what you work may be too far ahead from the rest of the world. it may be decades before they catch up.

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2023 14:49:07 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]Emerson’s brows knit together as the warning (at least that’s what it seems like— a warning) rolls across the table like a ball firmly being placed in his court. What does wish to hear?

Platitudes about how he maintains a healthy-work life balance? The reminder of ’s remarks this past winter about working less and interacting more float to the front of his mind, but they ease out like a retreating tide.[break][break]

“I don’t find that to be a particular sticking point for me, sir,” he says instead. Carefully, he reaches to tuck a strand of bright red behind one ear. “I’ve never really been the sort to keep a wide social calendar, nor share in my endeavors outside of necessary parties.”[break][break]

He’s somewhat of a recluse, he doesn’t add aloud.[break][break]

“Being on my own has never really bothered me, and I find that progress and discovery are often worth the calculated risks when it comes to the reward in satisfaction.”[break][break]

Is that believable? From a tiny guy who hasn’t really made it all that far yet? Probably not, but it’s earnestly spoken. Mild as Emerson is, that intensity and curiosity exists.[break][break]

A basculin lurking under the surface of still waters.
[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Sept 14, 2023 5:20:05 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

THEN YOU FIND YOURSELF IN GOOD COMPANY,” he nods with approval. “for SILPH CO. values that self satisfaction above all else.

he pauses, giving him a look over once more.

but talk is cheap and sentiments that come from the heart rarely measure up to the skills needed.

he smiles, briefly, before standing.

i have high hopes for you, whitlock. shall we begin?

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Sept 17, 2023 22:10:15 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]If there is one thing about himself that Emerson is confident in, it’s what he can do with tech. Maybe he’s shy, and awkward, and all sorts of different socially inept qualities, but he knows what he can do if the right tools are in his hands.[break][break]

So the remark is met with a smile of his own, brows lifting as he looks at with much more confidence than any other point in their interview. “Well, then it’s a good thing my skills are much more proficient than my talk.”[break][break]

Emerson stands as soon as Silph does, pushing out of his seat quickly as his hand shoots out toward his new employer’s in offering.[break][break]

“That’s no small thing– I’ll rise to the challenge.” His smile errs toward genuine now, bright and enthusiastic. “Let’s!”

[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Oct 6, 2023 11:18:08 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

A FIRM HANDSHAKE IS AN UNSPOKEN AGREEMENT. more than just a greeting, it carries the weight of one’s image as they exchange one last courtesy. everything from here on out is strictly business.

fernando leads him into another room. one more fitting for their examination, filled with humming servers and periodic consoles. eventually, he stops before a terminal.

routing networks or pen testing. pick your poison.

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Oct 17, 2023 16:49:57 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"]The handshake is a firm, decisive thing—as to be expected from the likes of , Emerson supposes. But he rises to the challenge of it. Of the weight it carries. Though he should probably work on his grip strength.[break][break]
Without question, he follows the other’s lead as they move from the meeting room and down the hall to the other. He inspects the servers and miscellaneous tech with mute curiosity. Though he supposes there’s time enough for more thorough examinations of what the company is working with.[break][break]
He expects he won’t be disappointed, anyway.[break][break]
“Pen testing, then,” he answers simply with a loose shrug. “Unless I’m needed somewhere specific to start.”[break][break]
He adds the last bit hastily, just to insure himself for being so forthright in his choice. He doesn’t want to seem too greedy right from the jump.

[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2023 23:54:12 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

WHITLOCK

MISSION

“NO,” he answers with a wry grin, “whatever you feel best.

fernando logs into a default account. an image on the desktop reveals a preliminary network diagram of SILPH CO.’s infrastructure. there’s no other prompts or quotas. just a free form map of what he has to work with. or rather, infiltrate.

you may use any tools at your disposal to break in,” he announces. “i look forward to your work.

for emerson is not the only one being tested. while no system is perfect, there can always be improvements. SILPH CO. being the creator and perpetrator of PORYGONs comes with certain perks. there is always intention beyond design.

OOC NOTE: you may decide how successful your character is. as for what information they can find, that will be DMed.
close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
awards
232 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
WHITLOCK
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2024 22:58:30 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","star1"]

[attr="class","starimg"]

[attr="class","star2"] Emerson only nods at the response. He’ll stick with the test, then. Breaking into difficult systems is what he’s good at, after all. Not that he expects this to be an easy peasy job.[break][break]
He enjoys being presented with a good challenge.[break][break]
Amber eyes study the screen Silph opens up. Acutely examining the diagram, already looking for any holes that he might be able to exploit.[break][break]
“Perfect. Let’s see if I can be impressive.” An amused smile hooks at the corner of his mouth. The meeker side of his nature dissipates when he works. In front of a screen is where he thrives.[break][break]
As expected, though, the system isn’t easy to crack into. His fingers float over the keys at a rapid pace, smooth as he tries different key combinations and methods. Streaming code cascades down the screen. Rather than use any provided tools, Em patches in his own porygon-z, and Glitch duplicates the virus he builds.[break][break]
Soon enough, or maybe it took a while– he loses track of time when he’s in a zone– he sits back and looks toward the CEO. The mouse hovers over an encrypted folder, one that opens with no issue when he gives the mouse a click.[break][break]
“There ya have it,” Emerson remarks, rolling his neck side to side so that it cracks and releases pent up tension. Phew.

[break][break]

[attr="class","star3"]

[/newclass]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights