March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Ruinous Recovery [M][C/Lars]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2023 22:51:23 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
TO: Shalin Nariya (shalin.nariya@hoennrangers.gov)
CC: (laurence.anderson@hoennrangers.gov)
MISSION: "Ruinous Recovery"
PROTOCOL: Search-and-Rescue
DANGER: ★★★★☆

Ranger reports on the so-called Ruinous Anomaly at Petalburg Plateau have been coming in. A snail-like Pokémon is believed to be the cause of the localized plague, replacing lush vegetation with envenomed plants and Pokémon. Swaths of the forest's natural denizens, particularly grass-type Pokémon, have become seriously ill, and the presence of Poison-type Pokémon predators is at an all time high. Your mission is to assist with the restoration of the plateau.

Your mission objectives are as follows:

A) Assist with relocating the invading poison-type Pokémon away from Petalburg Plateau.
B) Treat or gather for transport as many sick Pokémon as possible.

It is suspected that a high ranking official within Team Rocket is behind the blight. If you run into a snail-like Pokémon during your mission, you are to abandon the mission and flee. We have also supplied you with a crate of Poké Balls for use in relocating the Pokémon. Please see attachment for the coordinates of the remaining blighted areas.

Head Ranger will be accompanying you for this mission. If he is satisfied with your work, he may consider you for a promotion from Rookie to Cadet.

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

Shalin had taken on many assignments of this nature at her Romping Grounds, which was the back yard of her Secret Base. While her personal sanctuary had been cleaned out, the blight had spread beyond its borders, to the other side of the plateau. Due to its remote location within the woods, she had to give specific directions how to get there.

Provided he followed those directions, the Head Ranger would find Shalin, dressed in a red-and-green, Flygon-scaled SYGNA SUIT. Next to her was Queen Zing, a rather large Shiny Beedrill. He would be able to get a good look at the truly bizarre image of the sapphire-eyed wasp spreading her giant wings, using one of them to lift the explorer off the ground. Somehow, the insect's translucent wing was strong enough to hold her weight. The green-armored bee's azure eyes glowing, Shalin wrapped her fingers around the appendage the best she could and braced herself for the worst.

{WC: 385}
{PC: 1}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Queen Zing     Beedrill**      Good
Sandy          Flygon          Good
Lathiel        Type: Null      Good
Reynir         G!Rapidash      Good
Letheia        A!Ninetales     Good
Kiku           Skuntank        Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2023 16:17:11 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Despite being the native of the region, he hadn’t dared set foot into the deeper regions of the Petalburg Forest.

And of course, what was it with June, and poison appearing all at the same time?

(What was up with that?!)

Lars idly wondered if this was just déjà vu or just the universe’s way of screaming at everyone who lived in Hoenn that ‘June is never a good month to leave your defenses alone!’ and then…

Looking at the coordinates that were sent to him, he wondered where all the poison was fucking coming from. Either way…

Sooner or later, something flying in the skies that would eventually come down for a landing amongst the undergrowth would reveal Lars, riding atop his Metagross, Ro.

“How long has this blight been causing a disturbance around here?” he began as he disembarked, while the shining silver beast remained on watch.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2023 4:59:47 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Unlike her Yanmega and her Flygon, the green wasp's wings were physically incapable of showing mercy to Shalin. The only warning she got was the translucent, blue-tinted wings spreading wide. In an instant, they started roaring with a piercing buzz that forced the rider's eyes shut. If Lars was listening carefully, he might be able to hear a scream over the droning, though it was difficult to tell whether it was of distress or bliss. Time itself felt like it was slowing, an intense tingling sensation shooting up her legs and arms. A second shriek followed as the pitch of the droning peaked, the Beedrill's eyes flashing varying shades of blue.

Just as the Shiny Metagross landed with in tow, the buzzing noise began to decrease in intensity, the blurred wings slowing down with them. When they came to a stop, he would be able to see a SYGNA SUITED Shalin swaying back and forth, somehow sitting on one of Queen Zing's enormous, still wings. "Yeeee-haaaa!! What a ride!" she exhaled, doing her best to keep her balance. While the suit protected her body from being turned into pudding, it did not protect her from the extreme disorientation the vibration subject her to. The green bee raised both her stings in triumph, slowly lowering her wings to the ground so her trainer could hop off when she was ready.

{WC: 230}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 17:10:24 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He wondered if his question had been heard over the shouting—screeching would be more like it—before he watched as the person of the hour came to a disembarkation from the wings of a—

Mamma mia she was just as crazy, if not worse, than .

“First off, was that you screaming,” he began, his eyebrows going up so high they almost disappeared into his hairline out of sheer incredulity; before following up with, “I don’t know if you’ve heard my earlier question—but yes, how long has this blight been a problem around here?”

(Now, he wasn’t like a certain friend of his who screamed so high only Zubat could hear that noise at that point, however…)

He was more than certain that the only other human in the clearing that was wearing a Sygna Suit was herself, in the flesh.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 18:55:07 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin's skin was still tingling from the furious buzzing Queen Zing subject her to. Even by her standards, that was wild. The tingling sensation grew and shot up her legs as the Shiny Beedrill gently set her down. Not wanting to go anywhere just yet, she did her best to lift her feet off the ground, her Pokémon getting the message. "That was!" she sheepishly answered, still bewildered and dizzy from being flicked up and down faster than the eye could see. Her suit was the only reason she wasn't a pile of mush.

Shalin paused at Lars' repeat question, still catching her breath from a ride of which she may have been the only person on the planet capable of withstanding. "Around two weeks," she answered. "I wasn't here when it happened." At last, the tingling feeling wore off to the point where she could slide off the giant wasp's wing and not immediately ragdoll. "If I had my way, whoever was responsible for this... well, I'd make their ears explode." She wasn't kidding, either.

{WC: 177}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 21:57:17 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Fourteen days…

He idly wondered what the rest of the Rangers who were stationed close by up to—had they missed the note about the strange ‘blight’ in the area?

He then pulled up the mail message once more before realizing…

“…they didn’t send over any antidote?” he continued, brows furrowing together in concern. As it was, Ro the Metagross was standing guard for them—if in case whatever… snail-like Pokémon suddenly appeared and caused havoc.

What a mess.

“Do you have any healing moves on you?” he asked her a few moments later. “Just in case we run into heavily-poisoned Pokémon that have to be treated on-site as soon as possible before their condition deteriorates further.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2023 19:41:45 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin, of course, was blissfully unaware of exactly what had caused the blight; if she knew it was the legendary Pokémon Wo-Chien that had caused the blight, it would have sounded a five alarm fire that could have forced her to abandon her off-grid home and actually move to Petalburg proper. Or Verdanturf. She would eventually have to move to Verdanturf if she wanted to be that city's Ranger Captain, which she had her eyes on. Her prowess in exploration was among the greatest in Hoenn; what would have thought of her?

"Not exactly," Shalin answered as she withdrew the Beedrill for a much less noisy steed: a Skuntank more adept at dealing with the blight. She also sent out a Type: Null. "I want to try to save Reynir, my Galarian Rapidash, for when absolutely needed. Being a Fairy-type, he is especially susceptible to the blight. He doesn't exactly know any healing moves, but he can heal somewhat with his horn."

With a deep breath, Shalin took a seat on her Skuntank's back, leaving his reins where they were and holding the end of the Pokémon's tail to help him aim his musk if needed. "These two are Kiku and Lathiel. They'll be helping today." While Kiku looked ready to get to work, the Type: Null was less than enthusiastic, but would play along for now.

o_vZm87J Lathiel obedience

{WC: 230}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2023 15:22:22 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At the sight of—

He had to come to a stop. Because his eyebrows had literally raised so far up they were threatening to disappear into his hairline at that point in time.

“Where. Where did you find them?” he began quietly, gaze never leaving the Type:Null’s visage.

He was also tempted to add ‘best not to lie to me, for all the documentation that I can remember from back then had been destroyed’ but chose not to, for the moment. Maybe she had a logical explanation for all that.

“I… I would also advise to branch out with other Pokémon, asides from ones that you can ride on,” he advised her as they prepared to start looking for wild Pokémon that were affected by the blight. “It would be extremely easy for anyone else to counter you if you only have one particular theme to focus on and they know your gimmick.”

With that, he hopped onto his Metagross’s back, who then promptly folded in his legs and used Magnet Rise to levitate above and somewhat behind her—as the rearguard.

“Lead the way.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 3:08:46 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Lars seemed... quite distressed in Lathiel's presence. Had she known what he had been through, she wouldn't have sent out the chimeric creature. "It's... quite a long story. Some League higher-ups roped me into operations in the Ultra Wilds. Have you or any other Rangers you know spend much time there?" Regardless, she would tell the story of hos the Type: Null came to be. Lathiel watched Lars warily but kept her distance. "Ever since Littleroot, I've felt... helpless. Every time the League's forced me onto a battleground, I've felt like dead weight. I felt like I needed something that can go toe-to-toe with Rocket's best. And that's where...she comes in."

She described some of her trips to the Ultra Wilds, particularly her exploration of the derelict Quaestor Lucis, where she found most of the synthesis manuals needed to create Lathiel. "I'm still working to understand her. She's... different from all my other Pokémon. Almost like the door to her heart is closed." The Ranger sniffed, traumatic memories of and operating on eighteen of her finest partners coming to mind. "...And opening her heart up won't bring Pharika and Ellie back," she whined, referring to the Pharika and Dragalge that gave their lives during the synthesis process.

Shaking her head, she led the way around her Romping Grounds, sighting a group of Victreebel gorging themselves on the blight. Shalin's SYGNA SUIT would afford her limited protection from the living resentment, and Kiku's poison typing would protect him from the blight, as well. Sandy, still present from needing to be out of her Poké Ball for Shalin to withstand the dizzying vibration, leaped into action. She soared above the Victreebel and loosed a fierce BUG BUZZ in front of the grass-types, but not on top of them. She had hoped the noise would scare the feasting Pokémon away from the blighted land, on the other side of which Lathiel awaited to chase them off the Romping Grounds completely.

n2aHpVs2 Lathiel obedience

{WC: 332}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 6:45:43 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He was thankful that Ro was part-Steel type, and if he got his typing tables right Steel was unaffected by Poison—unless it was in the presence of a Salandit-line.

(We don’t talk about that one time.)

“I’ll look over on the other side, see if there’s anything else around over there,” he called out to her—and with that he made for the opposite side of the glade, summoning his own Salazzle, Mirana in the process.

Never mind if the reptilian Pokémon cackled with glee at the sight of all the noxious puddles of goo, he had to bite back a sigh and an eyeroll.

“Not now, please,” he directed the dual-type. “We’re here for work. Can you search for other Pokémon that shouldn’t belong here and chase them away?”

With a begrudging sigh, the Salazzle agreed to do what he’d asked.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 19:40:48 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The potent vibration caused the wilds' skin to ripple. Even Shalin and her team, much more well-prepared for the sonic assauit, still felt their skin ripple in the wake of the surrounding air. If those attacks weren't enough to get them to flee, those who remained out of grit and stubbornness would find themself full of Lathiel's CRUSH CLAW. Though it had scared the Victreebel away, they had left another serious problem. Several small Pokémon remained in their wake, covered both in the blight and in Victreebel slobber after being regurgitated.

Lathiel wasn't done, though; after slicing and dicing the Victreebel, she wanted more. In a sharp maneuver to protect his rider, Kiku bucked Shalin hard. Hard enough that even she was sent flying, and not a moment too soon, either. Without so much as a command, the poison-type and Beast Killer started sparring.

UNE6VnKO Lathiel obedience

{WC: 145}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 18, 2023 21:24:30 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment the Salazzle had gone off to check out the opposite side of the clearing, Lars had turned around just in time to see—

“Whoa!”

With a singular knock, the Metagross then split his attention from the Magnet Rise and then threw a Telekinetic burst of energy to hopefully catch Shalin in mid-air before she was sent tumbling into the dirt.

Thankfully, said Salazzle didn’t find any Victreebel—although she did find a couple of nearly-withered Sunkern covered in the noxious goo. Calling her human companion’s attention, she hissed.

Loudly.

“Ro, can you help her and—” he trailed off before the sibilant, disturbing hissing caught his notice.

“Mirana, what—” he began, before spotting the nearly-drowned Sunkerns in the glop.

“Whoa. Nice catch there,” he hummed as he leapt off from the Metagross’s back, chucking a couple of the Pokéballs that they were given towards the Sunkern who were… looking absolutely terrible.

“That… should keep them safe for now. Can you keep looking for me?” he continued in the Salazzle’s direction, who nodded and slithered off into the undergrowth while he retrieved the Sunkern-occupied Pokéballs.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 20, 2023 5:51:52 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The telekinetic surge caused Shalin to land squarely on her feet. Used to what psychic power felt like from riding her Espeon, she knew who was responsible. "Thanks for the save, Lars!" she cried back just as Kiku and Lathiel finished their round of sparring. Both of them had suffered minor cuts, but got back on task at their trainer's request.

Once Lathiel had chased the aggressive wilds away, more of them witnessed the scary and powerful chimeric Pokémon, backing away from the blight and leaving their victims be. Only fighting on the mind, she pursued the fleeing Pokémon, squishing an Arbok's tail underneath her. Shaking her head, Shalin let the moody Type: Null be. If all she wanted to do was brawl, then she would let her. Raising the Beast Killer was the greatest challenge she had yet to overcome... and yet, when it was all over, she would be able to go toe to toe with even Lars' Articuno. Perhaps a sparring match with the Iceborne Mirage would be warranted as a test of the Type: Null's power when the time was right.

The Skuntank found more victims. Several sickly-looking Treecko were half-hidden by black foliage, Shalin quick to capture them and add them to the stash of Pokémon to be taken to Petalburg and Rustboro for treatment. Once she had the section of the plateau for the most part cleaned up, she and her poison-type mount would return to the Head Ranger's side. "How are things going? I've done a pretty good sweep of the north side and think I got it taken care of."

PLf8DC8m Lathiel obedience

{WC: 271}
{PC: 7}

Kiku           Skuntank        Fair
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jul 24, 2023 19:25:21 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

After he’d managed to cart the almost-withered bunch of baby Sunkern (who knew how long they’d been languishing on the poisoned ground) his Salazzle continued to search, sibilant hissing noise coming from her when she unearthed a nest of Wurmple that were ready to pretty much fall over.

“Found some Wurmple over on this side,” he called out her way, quickly tapping some more empty Pokéballs on the poor Bug-types. Who knew how traumatized they were now because of the blight…?

Much as he also wanted to tell her that he also had a Silvally, he chose not to—at least not yet.

Which then gave him an idea for something down the road…

“South side turned up some sickly Sunkern and a nest of Wurmple. Who knows how long they’ve been languishing with this mess of a blight around.”

Hell, he had no idea when the place would eventually regain its lush greenery. Hopefully in his lifetime.

But maybe that was a tall order, all things considered.

“Did you find any more over there where you are?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,394 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2023 0:54:09 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"On the north side, I caught half a dozen Treecko that looked sickly," Shalin reported, releasing them from their Poké Balls, alongside Reynir, a Shiny Galarian Rapidash. He was quick to rest the flat of his horn against each of the sweating, heavily-breathing grass-types in succession. While the first aid would make them more comfortable, it would only be temporary relief. A Pokémon Center would have to take a closer look at them.

She had another problem, though: the bloodthirsty Lathiel was growing impatient. Just as the Ranger withdrew the small Pokémon for transport, the Type: Null charged Kiku from his blind side, raising a CRUSH CLAW and raking Shalin and the Skuntank. Seeing the carnage, Reynir dashed to his trainer's side and lowered his healing horn toward his trainer, stemming the bleeding and imparting within her enough strength to withdraw Lathiel and the now-collapsed Kiku. "I really don't get what her problem is," Shalin groaned. "All she wants to do is fight, fight, fight. And she's particular about who she wants to fight."

{WC: 176}
{PC: 8}

Lathiel        Type: Null      Fair
Kiku           Skuntank        KO