Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 17:39:49 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]The ruins of the Fiorelli Floristry, even more putrid and decaying than Isaac had left them. By now, what was once wood had now become a pulpy sludge. The secrets beneath the floristry had long been confiscated as evidence, leaving it home to little more than ravenous fungi and broken dreams.[break][break]

No signs of her anywhere, though.[break][break]

Nor was there a sign of her in the Ultra Deep Sea. Isaac panted heavily as he flung himself through the rift, hitting the deck just in time to avoid a slimy tentacle coiling around his neck. As the silhouette of a Nihilego faded back into the distance, he made a mental note to keep his search to safer corners of the globe.[break][break]

. . . Okay. Maybe if he was out of options, he'd check Motostoke. But being away from the region for too long would be way too risky, plane tickets were pricy this season, and a cross-region flight would get even his most loyal birds glaring daggers at him. Better to steer clear.[break][break]

"I just don't get it, Kiryu," Isaac said, sitting by the shining plate that served as her grave marker. "I've been looking everywhere, checked every place where she could be mourning, but I haven't seen a sign of her. Called every hour, too, but I don't know if her phone's dead, she's just ignoring me, or-"[break][break]

He refused to say it.[break][break]

"Maybe I just need to go back. Check places where we've been before. Like the art museum. Or the desert. Or Route 101. Maybe if I'm lucky, I can lure her out by falling flat on my face again. Arceus, I miss when everything was that simple . . ."[break][break]

Maybe he wasn't the only one who wished it was that simple.[break][break]

Maybe he just needed to go back to the beginning.[break][break]

"I got it! Thanks, Kiryu!" Beaming triumphantly, Isaac set Echo free from his Pokeball, the Ralts teleporting him away from Mt. Pyre's peak.[break][break]

Fortree City. Her home. Knowing where to look next was the easy part. Knowing where to go after that was going to be the challenge. Isaac watched the heavily wooded city, knowing that the aroma of nature in full bloom would make any tracking efforts all the harder.[break][break]

Luckily, Isaac had an ace in the hole.[break][break]

As a Pignite and Poochyena emerged from their Pokeballs, Isaac drew a pajama shirt from his backpack. It wasn't his shirt; or, at least, it wasn't always. It was a size too big for Isaac, after all. Its black and red fabric had gotten noticably worn over time, especially in the front. No, this had been Cygne's before he'd borrowed it for the winter months, and as he noted in her painful absence, it still smelled like her.[break][break]

Would it be enough?[break][break]

Isaac's heart sank as Baconator and Midnight sniffed it, seemingly uncomprehending. If they couldn't find her there, where could they find her? He prepared himself for a long week . . . month . . . maybe even longer, leaving no stone unturned in the search dor his beloved.[break][break]

Then Baconator hopped up to her feet, letting out a triumphant squeal. "That's what I'm talking about! Lead the way, girl!" Isaac cheered, only to be confused as Baconator charged through the treeline. Isaac looked towards Midnight, but the Poochyena tilted its head slightly before following on Baconator's heels.[break][break]

This whole situation gave Isaac a foreboding feeling. But where they led, he followed.

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 18:48:49 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknox2"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Built by her maternal grandfather in the mid-1900s, the homestead is not in Fortree proper, but instead down Route 119 a ways, nestled in the thick forest. A winding dirt road leads to an even windier dirt drive-- nigh impossible to find, now, as her grandparents have been dead and gone for almost ten years, and the woods have reclaimed all their hard work.

Crabapple trees and berry bushes sit amongst overgrown grass; Combee buzz and flit between blooming flowers and clusters of clover. A dilapidated wooden swingset has gone to rot and tumbled apart in the yard, next to an equally as crumbling picnic table, and an old, rusted-out Farmall. The remnants of clotheslines dangle like broken spiderwebs, gossamer tendrils flickering in the breeze. Overturned planters in the shapes of Mudbrays and Swanna, their ceramic necks broken, have been punched out by plant roots and scattered across the drive.

The house itself-- once a sturdy, picturesque one-story surrounded by twelve acres of woodland, fields, and ponds-- has seen better days. A fracturing cement step leads to a copper-green front door; the large picture window has long been grimed over with dirt and nicotine. The terracotta segments of a garage door creak ominously in the wild-scented wind.

Around the back, it’s not much better. Remnants of a garden-- overgrown corn, wild sprawling patches of tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, all trodden by Sawsbuck and picked through by Zigzagoon-- rest next to a broken-up patio and off-kilter, nature-stained outdoor furniture. Lounge chairs with motheaten fabric are tilted over. Beyond, a pole barn and small shed, long claimed by the trees and weeds, mark the backyard line, leading to the woods beyond.

The house is done in a stone facade and dark green siding. The roof is crumbling in places; a sliding glass door, stuck in its track, leads off the patio. All of the windows are shut tight and locked, sealed with nicotine, and age, and wear. There are no lights on within... but curious noses will find a small gap in the garage door, leading to the space within.

Dust chokes every surface, save for a set of footprints on the concrete. Massive spider's webs gather in every corner and between the rafters, covering plastic sleds, children's wagons, and a red RadioFlyer gocart, the color still apparent despite the age. Cans of paint, oil, old carpenters tools, and garden tools litter the ground. An old, defunct freezer sits rusting at the back.

A door to the house proper lies just ajar, as though someone, recently, this way came...
[attr="class","samknoxt"]
[attr="class","samknoxc"]

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 19:07:44 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]An ace in the hole didn't mean the game was over. And Fortree's forest had no intention of making things easy for him.[break][break]

The path that once lead to the Bothwell homestead had been reclaimed by nature. Loose dirt had been spread out through decades of footprints, sliced by desire trails, and swallowed up by grasses and weeds. The smell of wild flowers and mildew interrupted Baconator's search time and time again. At one point, Isaac had passed through the same tree with a pocketknife embedded in it at least four times, having been lead around the path in winding circles.[break][break]

Thorns pricked at his ankles and palms. The sun struck down through the canopy, leaving him hotter and more tired than he expected. At one point he had to send out Sectonia to assert dominance over the swarms of hungering insect Pokemon that had picked hp on the fresh blood in their forest. The journey was exhausting, and Isaac was starting to wonder if he'd ever find who he was looking for.[break][break]

Then he saw it. The ruins of rural gothic poked through the treeline.[break][break]

Just one look called to mind the stories Cygne told of her upbringing, give or take the merciless march of time. Where she once mentioned a migraine-inducing amount of relatives, now there was only dead silence. Where they once kept the wilderness at a fond distance, now it had staked its claim.[break][break]

There were enough remnants of man's domain that Isaac wondered whether they moved or fled.[break][break]

Perhaps he'd find out the old fashioned way. The homestead's door creaked ajar, and Isaac knew he had no choice but to accept its invitation.

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 19:31:31 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]The house smells like dust and mildew and old smoke. Despite how closed up it is, there’s a dampness to the air, like it would always come just shy of being dry in here.

A short entry hallway branches off into a decrepit powder room, a heavy latched door, and forward to the kitchen, a small, rectangular nook of wooden cupboards, scratched pressboard countertops, three ovens, and an inert gas stove. Pressed tile flooring cuts off halfway into drab gray carpet patterned in thin blue fleur de lis; a grand dining table with six ornate-backed chairs rests beneath a dangling (fake) crystal chandelier, their fabric seats worn and moth eaten.

A massive curio cabinet remains sealed to time along the right wall, with patterned dishware, ceramic statuettes, crystal glasses, and photographs faded only by time. Beyond that, a crux of halls leads to what was once the living room-- blue carpeting long trodden flat, a stone bench along half the room. An ancient couch and matching loveseat-- yellow with purple velvet filigree, covered in dust, sit around a built in fireplace. A sealed, glass-front bookshelf sits next to a rocking chair in front of the grim-sealed picture window.

Motion down the carpeted hallway brings forth Kanaya, who looks as frazzled as she’s ever been, surrounded on all sides by mildew and the decaying touch of time. She’s carrying an armful of linens that smell more fresh than anything else in the house, and she looks at Isaac with the briefest of exasperated glances, before sliding into the first room off the hall-- the master bathroom.

Cracked tile reveals a robin’s egg blue tub ensconced in a corner. Seashell motifs cover the room, and the large counter is done in that old, polished riverrock style. A shiny Mudkip is pumping clean water into the tub, where a Medicham and a Gallade are busy scrubbing sheets, pillowcases, and towels against old washboards. Flower petals and sprigs of lavender float in the water, replacing soap, in an attempt to beat the dust and mildew and smell of old cigarettes out of the fabric.

A doorway on the back of the bathroom leads to an empty master bedroom, the king bed stripped bare and resting in a set of built-in cabinets that flow into the bedframe and hook around three out of four walls of the room. Lines of string have been hung from the ceiling, every coatrack and closet structure in the house stolen to hang drying linens from. An Infernape squeezes the water out of the fabrics in her strong, warm grip, before passing it to a Zoroark to hang with clothespins.

The two lesser bedrooms have been occupied, as well; the first is a garishly 80’s themed room patterned with brown and gold wallpaper bearing lion’s heads and matching brown shag carpeting. The fake iron frame bed has been tilted up against the wall. A shiny Treecko and Combusken sort through canned items, trying to decipher if anything has kept or expired; boxes of things surely found under the sink or in the basement, soaps and cleaning sprays and old rotten sponges, are sitting off to the side to be sorted.

The final room is more subdued. A small bed sits nestled in a pale lavender painted room, large windows peeking out in two directions, though so weathered and smoke-claimed you can’t see through them, any longer. Bags of yarn, knitting needles, quilt patches, and various other crafts are strewn everywhere, as though whomever was working on them left many projects half completed.

Cyg is bundled in layers of handmade quilts in the center of the bed, fetal-position lump completely obscured by fabric squares and soft gray sheets.

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 19:53:36 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Poor Kanaya looked absolutely frazzled. Who could blame her? It seemed she'd stepped up to serve as the household leader, but even she and an army of dutiful Pokemon could only do so much against the ravages of age and depression.[break][break]

"You guys help out, okay?" Isaac asked, turning to his Pokemon and softly smiling. "Work hard, and give her something to smile about when she wakes up, okay?"[break][break]

Echo saluted, toddling after Kanaya and mirroring her actions to the letter. Baconator joined the laundry crew, her blue flames helping dry an ever growing pile of linens. Even Midnight put their sharp nose to use in helping the younger Pokemon with sorting out cans.[break][break]

Cygne's team would have an easier time. And now Isaac could face what came next alone.[break][break]

Motionless, dead silent, curled up, and barely visible through fabric, Cygne looked more like the aftermath of a crime scene than a living person. The air hung around her eerily as Isaac inched forward, step by agonizing step.[break][break]

What did he even do? Gently touch her to get her attention? Maybe if he liked getting his arm broken. Ask her to vent to him? Not when she already felt so awful. Be a goof and break the tension? Neither the time or place. Tell her it was okay, and he was here? When she already fled from him . . .[break][break]

Finally, inspiration struck. Isaac retreated into the kitxhen, combing the area to see what he could use to make some breakfast in bed. Each minute he spent away from his beloved was agony, but if he was going to coax her out, he knew he needed to make it as perfect for her as he could. It was the least she deserved.[break][break,]

The world had already wrenched her away from the most.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 20:07:39 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Some last minute payments to the power company meant the place had electricity, and, it seemed, the inside of the fridges and ovens were the first places touched by Kanaya’s need for clean. Cupboard doors hung askew, but it was dust free. The big farm sink shone like silver, and the plates were polished to a gleam.

That being said, he would find blessed little in the kitchen. They hadn’t, it seemed, gone grocery shopping. It seemed highly likely that Cyg hadn’t really eaten since her return from Galar, which was the truth.

A Roserade stood between the cabinets putting tomatoes on the windowsill, baskets on her arms full of a bounty of things from the overgrown garden: more tomatoes, zucchini, spring onion, bushels of herbs, potatoes.

He had running water, gas to the stove, and ten years worth of wild green things to choose from.

Like a princess under a spell, Cyg sat catatonic to it all.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 20:42:34 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]This princess may not have had a knight, but being a second-place steel chef gave Isaac some shine nonetheless. Maybe it'd prove enough.[break][break]

All vegetables wasn't ideal. Cygne liked her meats and she liked her sweets. However, Isaac wasn't about to abandon the love of his life in her moment of need so he could go fucking grocery shopping. He was just going to have to turn to the bounty of Mother Earth and do the best he could.[break][break]

Potatoes and corn were as good a start as any. One added savory. The other added sweet. Both added structure and stability. It was hard to go wrong with them as a base, especially for the beginnings of a breakfast-y hash. Hyacinth the Lurantis would be his sous chef for the day. He dutifully chopped the potatoes to bits with precise, split second movements as Isaac began shaving the corn.[break][break]

Spring onion would serve a critical dual role here. The whites would be his main aromatic, while the greens would be a nice, herbaceous garnish. He chopped these into their respective piles as Hyacinth carefully diced up the tomatoes and bell peppers. These ingredients, sauteed up nice and punched up with some herbs, would add much needed zing to the stable base ingredients.[break][break]

"Thanks for the ingredients," Isaac said as he started to get to work. "I'm really hoping this does the trick. Poor Cyg's gotta be starving . . ." It was the least of her problems, surely. But it had a way of making the others unbearable.[break][break]

From there, it was just step by step assembly. Roast the potatoes. Make the onion transluscent. Sear the peppers and corn with that little bit of char. Get the tomatoes to that midpoint between raw and mush. Let the herbs mingle enough to share their flavor. In an ideal world, he'd have some beans for a southwest flair and an egg to crack over it to really make it feel like breakfast, but he was playing with the hand he was dealt here.[break][break]

Besides, it smelled delicious. It was no , , or meal, but he was proud of himself for what he could whip up on zero notice. With a heaping bowl of colors and aromas in his hand, Isaac made his way over to his sleeping beauty's tower. Gently, he set the bowl on her nightstand, then pressed ever so slightly on the bed to give the first sign of his presence.[break][break]

"Guess who," he whispered to the pile of blankets formerly known as Cygne. "You hungry?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 21:19:19 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Shay, Cyg’s Roserade, nodded at the thanks, though the subject of Cyg made her bright eyes turn a little sad. She left her baskets of goodies and headed for the sliding back door-- it took both bouquet hands and several clinging vines to wrench it open on its rusted, dust-clogged, nicotine-sticky tracks.

The fresh air rolled in carrying pollen and sunshine. Shay pulled the bug-eaten screen shut in the big glass door’s place.

On the concrete outside, a Brelom and two Croconaws stepped up to the side of the house, and barrages of hydro pump coupled with harsh scrubbing began to powerwash the age and grime from the windows, rattling them in their panes.

The whole fam was here, beginning to carve away at the wilderness and wear that time had cast upon this place like a spell gone wrong.

---

She’d been in shock since arriving back ‘home’, the colors of her faraway kingdom rubbing off like patina in a developing picture. She’d looked into the mirror at a strange, walked around in a stranger’s clothes, and conversed with a stranger’s Pokemon. It was an odd sort of displacing blow, to remember and to feel how she had been, and now to suddenly not have it.

Like missing a limb. Or an eye.

She’d floated around, wistful, silent, like a ghost, for a while, barely having the wherewithal to close up the apothecary beforehand. Eventually, her drifting had brought her here-- and it was fitting, in a way, to come back to this place which had been such a large part of her childhood, once, until it wasn’t. A place she went to until it was something she only remembered in her dreams.

She felt stiff and cold in her own body; she hadn’t eaten, hadn’t really slept, either. Just sort of… existed, flitting between memories, closing her eyes and reliving them as dreams, like she did with so much else she’d lost. Childhood memories and people who no longer existed, but had... they had.

It was a strange kind of emptiness, one she didn’t really have words for. And maybe… maybe she was being dramatic. Maybe she was being foolish, having heaped so much into a life that was never meant to be. One that wasn’t even that much better than this one, if she was being completely honest… but…

… but it had been hers. She had been there. It had been. That was the important part. The part that was missing.

The smell and sound of life outside that little bedroom sounded dim and far away, drowning under her heartbeat and the slow, comatose pace of her breathing.

Someone spoke. The bed shifted.

Her mouth parted to answer, but no sound came out; her stomach, flagrant betrayer that it was, rumbled loudly. But she couldn’t eat when her mouth was full of ash and her grief was a meal in and of itself.

She felt bad. He’d gone through all this work, and she just sat there like an ungrateful lump.

“...sorry.”

Her voice was crackly from disuse and words felt foreign on her lips. The concept of language another cognitive dissonance, scattered to the wind and taken far away. A mire of depression so deep and consuming that everything felt separated, fragmented; like this whole thing was some horrible out-of-body experience, a nightmare where, no matter how she focused, she could never go fast or far enough.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 21:35:29 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"You've got nothing to be sorry for. I promise."[break][break]

If anything, Isaac felt he should be sorry for taking so long to find her. In a perfect world, Cygne would have been nestled safely into his arms instead of being forced to go it alone.[break][break]

"Mind if I join you under there?" The idea was almost silly, two grown adults huddled under a towering pile of blankets like scared kids in a thunderstorm. But Isaac didn't want to tear Cygne away from what little shelter she'd found for herself in the confusion post-Galar. If anything, he wanted an invitation to her world. He wanted to meet her on her terms and be anything and everything she needed, because in that moment in time he knew nothing mattered more.[break][break]

He wouldn't begrudge her if she said no. At his own lowest point, he knew he needed to be by himself. Back then family was a dirty word for him. He'd spent two decades by himself, first figuratively, then literally, and felt mortal terror at the idea of showing anyone his back.[break][break]

Two decades being loved changed that. and , the big sibling figures he never knew he needed so badly. , who he could now proudly and confidently say was his little sib that meant the world to him. and , the missing holes in Motostoke's royal family that not even twenty years could keep off of his mind.[break][break]

Cygne. His queen. His greatest treasure. The woman he wanted to move heaven and earth for, just to see her smile again.[break][break]

"I can wait out here if you want, too," he clarified. "But . . . here or there, I'm yours, okay? And I'm not going anywhere. Not without you."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 21:53:13 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]There’s a moment where she feels her arm moving but doesn’t realize it. Like thinking a thought so loud you mistakenly believe you’ve said it. After a beat she realizes she isn’t moving and, with a ponderous sort of creaking feeling, she rolls over, and slowly extends one arm; a quilt of many colors lifts up, inviting him into the darkness and warmth and safety beneath.

It was a small concession to make to invite him into this labyrinthine fortress of solitude she’d built for herself. Her skin was pale, cheeks and eyes red from tears, hair tangled and askew. She had, at some point, showered and changed into comfy clothes, and the sheets and quilt were clean and smelled like lavender.

“Come on in.”

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 22:01:39 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Cygne looked like a wreck. Half of her looked like she'd given up, while the other half turned to anger and tears just to keep the fight going. She'd cleaned herself, at least, but after that point she crawled into her cocoon and prepared for whatever came next.[break][break]

Isaac didn't mind. Just the sight of her face, even like this, was enough to get him smiling.[break][break]

He slipped under the covers with her, his hand ever so slightly brushing against hers as he took the burden of the opened "door" from her. It was dark, and it was hot, and it was small, and having both of their bodies piled under there probably didn't help with that fact. Despite it all, or perhaps because of it, he felt safe and comfortable.[break][break]

It took all of his strength not to kiss her the moment they were alone together. Instead, taking one baby step at a time, he gave Cygne a soft, loving smile.[break][break]

"Hey, you."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 22:16:00 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]She looked at him with a steady, unfocused gaze, slightly downcast; once the ‘door’ was shut, she receded back into herself, hands coming to rest in a mockery of prayer beneath her head on the age-crushed pillows.

“Hi.”

Empty. Hollow. Tired beyond belief.

“I take it the world hasn’t ended yet?”

No mirth in her tone. From somewhere else, a windowpane shakes, and there’s a cacophony of raspy blabber as two Pokemon (likely Gremlin and his mother) get into an argument. A series of steady bonks sets them right again.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2023 0:54:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Against all odds," Isaac said, a light smile on his face. "The sun set and rose on the Hoenn region without something blowing up. Can you believe it?" The two were no strangers to the general unpredictability of the Hoenn Region, which could charitably be called a "powder keg" had all the powder inside of it not already exploded several times over.[break][break]

Maybe they could all use a break from the apocalypse. They just lived through one.[break][break]

"Though, I gotta admit," Isaac said, his smile fading some. "If I didn't find you, mine might as well've ended."[break][break]

Cheesy? Yes. True? Without a doubt in his mind. He'd just spent the better part of 20 years with Cygne. He'd seen how brilliant and driven she could be without Rocket, the League, and their damned war holding her back. He'd gotten to use a king's budget to lavish her on all the dates and gifts he'd promised her, even if they were but shadows of what they could have been. They'd started a family, and for the first time in his life Isaac wasn't scared of being vulnerable around the people he loved.[break][break]

He'd realized that there was nobody he'd rather spend his life with.[break][break]

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2023 11:14:00 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]This funk has gripping fingers that drag her down into exhaustion. The promise of future Hoenn cataclysms just adds to the weight of it.

She’s so unbelievably tired. Tired of fighting. Done with knocking on Arceus’ door and staving off Ruinous Beasts and defending themselves against whatever Legendary has a bone to pick with them next.

It can all crumble and fade.

“...I didn’t want to be found.”

She was still unsure of the providence of it. She was never unhappy to see Isaac, of course. But for all she loved him, he was another reminder of What Had Been Lost.

"Sorry."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2023 13:13:16 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac had fingers, too. His gently curled around Cygne's hand, caressing the curve of her thumb and the space between her knuckles. In a region that was all too hard, within a team that demanded even more hardness, his touch was a stark contrast of softness.[break][break]

"I know," he admitted. "But if anyone was gonna find you, I figured I'd be the least worst option." The fact that Cygne had even let him in was a sign of that. Had she slammed the metaphorical door on him, he'd-[break][break]

Okay. So he wouldn't have just left her to fester in her own pain. But he would've at least kept quiet and out of the way.[break][break]

"Don't think the Pokefam got the memo, though," Isaac admitted. "They've been making it look more like a home and less like the ghost of one. Which is good! But might make it a wee bit harder to hide out." Without all the overgrowth and urban decay, this homestead would be a shining star on Fortree's outskirts. It wouldn't be too inconspicuous for long.[break][break]

"I'd love to hear about this place." Perhaps focusing on what was found and reclaimed could help get Cygne's mind off of what had been lost.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights