Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 22:41:40 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknox2"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Her skin is cool to the touch, despite the lingering press of stale air in the house.

“Yeah,” she says, though her voice has no intonation of mirth. She’s trying so hard to find it, find any positive emotion that could be dredged up in the recesses of her, and is coming up empty. It’s less like it isn’t there and more like she’s been excised and shunted so far out into the deep recesses of space she can no longer reach back and touch anything.

He mentions the house around them. Cyg’s eyes flutter shut.

“It was my mom’s parents’,”
she says, remembering. Back before… before. A childhood they both shared-- her, and the person she had been. Shield!Cygne. Safe ground, common ground. But even then, it was bittersweet. She hadn’t come to appreciate this place-- the solitude, the closeness-- until she was older. The long driveway, the sprawling wilderness, the nearest neighbors miles away.

Growing up, it had always been too full of relatives, smelling of poor ventilation, cigarettes, spilled beer, dust. It had been too hot, too itchy, too buggy. She dreaded the hours spent her, surrounded by drunk family, all of them kindling in a desert, just a spark away from flying off the handle.

But she had been different then. How had her grandmother felt, raising two girls who would grow up to loathe each other?

Would that have happened to them?

And who cared? Who cared, who cared, who cared?

It didn’t matter now. And the thought of it cleaved her anew. Her eyes drifted back open, the same monotonous, blue stare. She didn’t understand how people were just going back to… back to normal. Like nothing had happened.

“And this weak and idle them, no more yielding but a dream.”

[attr="class","samknoxt"]
[attr="class","samknoxc"]

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 5:17:59 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac was no Shakespearean scholar. Despite that, between the utter lack of detail Cygne said and the melancholy tone in her voice, he picked up what she was putting down. It didn't matter what she said about her old home. It was a distant, hazy memory, worth nothing more than any old dream.[break][break]

Just like Galar had been.[break][break]

He could understand where she was coming from as clearly as day. It wasn't just that twenty years of their life had been stripped away. It was that twenty years of their life were rendered nonexistent, as if nothing about them even mattered. Team Rocket and the League went right back to their bullshit. The people of Hoenn tried, in uncomfortable, dreamlike hazes, to settle back into their normal lives. Some went as far as to outright forget, the names and faces of those they once held dear becoming little more than a blur.[break][break]

Isaac couldn't let go, either. That first sleepless night had proven that well enough. Had he not used his therapy Musharna's dream smoke to capture as much of the memory as he could in a little glass bottle . . .[break][break]

He didn't know where he'd be, and that fact scared him.[break][break]

Maybe both the past and their stolen futures alike were little more than a dream. But so long as he could honor and learn from them, could they ever truly die? Even if he needed to stare into the misty vapors of a world that could have been to remember his strength, he refused to let it break him.[break][break]

If it did, he may never be able to fix himself back up.[break][break]

There was no sense debating philosophy now, though. Cygne wasn't remotely in the state. Frankly, Isaac wasn't either. Instead, he simply pressed Cygne's hand to his chest, hoping the steady rhythm of his heart and the soft pressure of his hand could help ease her the slightest bit. "If its important to you, its important to me."[break][break]

Right now, that was the only thing that mattered.

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 19:04:56 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Her forearm hisses across the sheets as Isaac pulls her to him, flattening the numbness of her palm against his warm chest, his beating heart, hand splaying overtop.

It’s a reminder of the things that are real and present and here and made out of flesh and blood. Things that still exist and are worth fighting for.

She’s not debating that. It’s not a case of everything is gone. If only it would be that easy. The problem is the pinch and shove and stretch and scratch of trying to carve a new, normal path through the ghosts of what had been and now was not. There’s a stranger in her bones, her body that had gone through so much-- she’d given birth, for Arceus’ sake-- and now it just. Was not. Had not.

“Do you think I’m being dramatic?” she asks, voice the dry scratch of a small brown rock on cement-- how amazing it had been when you found you could write with it. Skinned knuckles and skinned knees and the stretch of rasped skin.

And because he was Isaac, and certainly would not ever want to hurt her feelings, even on accident, she adds, “You can say yes.”

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 21:58:08 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"You are," Isaac said, the soft kiss he planted on the back of her hand a stark contrast to the sandpapery world that had met them from all angles. "And Arceus, Cyg. Its never been more warranted."[break][break]

"Like, come on. We literally stared down the end of the world how many times? And just when we think we've seen it all, 'cause a meteor came this close to wiping us off the face of the planet, life goes and pulls this shit on us. Because I guess now that it can't break our bodies, its gotta fuck with our heads instead."[break][break]

"You're dramatic. But, fuck. Everything about this is dramatic."[break][break]

He couldn't understand how some people just returned to normalcy. He couldn't understand how some people were able to just forget all of this happened. He couldn't understand how some people could just pick up a gun and shoot the people they'd spent 20 years building a better world with right in the face. Maybe they were the sane ones. Or maybe they were crazier than Isaac thought.[break][break]

"You're not alone, if it helps," Isaac admitted. "I couldn't sleep last night. You were gone. was gone. Everyone hurt. Everything hurt. I hurt. Part of me just wanted to say it wasn't real for the sake of my own sanity. Another part of me just wanted to go back, no matter what it took."[break][break]

"My Musharna. Her dream smoke. She took a peek in my head, and I bottled up as much of it as I could save. I know that's just a figment of a figment, but . . . giving it a shake, seeing the bottles swirl, remembering what we had . . ."[break][break]

"If I couldn't do that, I don't know where I'd be right now."[break][break]

He'd promised himself, after Maldacena had broken his mind, stolen his fight, and goaded him into throwing his life away, that he'd never be broken again. He'd promised himself, when he returned from Galar's shores with the memories of kingship and a broken world at his fingertips, that he'd become worthy of his title and mend it back together. But even as those promises gave him the strength to march onwards, each step had been agony. How could it not be? How could anyone get over twenty years of grief in one fell swoop?[break][break]

Nevertheless, hope burned eternal in his heart. If he could share even a fragment of it with Cygne, then he'd at least served his purpose.

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2023 10:42:07 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]A brief moment of regret-- regretting asking him-- makes a ledge within her when he says yes, a ledge perfect for diving off of, deeper into this mire of emptiness, but he quickly recovers and tells her the dramatics are warranted.

Are they, though? It’s a lot to take in, sure. But she’s not mourning a life truly lost-- she’s mourning a life that never got to exist in the first place. It wasn’t real. A figment. A dream. And, if she’s doing that, why doesn’t she just mourn every squandered opportunity, while she was at it?

Not going to Mt. Pyre. Not leaving the Ultra Sea when she had the fucking chance. Not going to explore the weird Cyberspace place. Not being there when Necrozma attacked, the second-first time.

All the nots, knots in her throat.

The entire time she’s thinking, her face is still that expressionless mask, like she barely has the energy to blink.

“But it wasn’t real, was it.” It isn’t a question. “It never happened.”

But the idea of the dream smoke… that’s a new one. It piques her interest, in the way that nothing in the last 24 to 72 hours has. She imagines herself Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Minding it-- having a Pokemon pull it all out of her brain-- out of her body-- and bottle it up. So she doesn’t remember.

The temptation of it makes her swallow. The first sign of automatic functioning in long minutes.

How could she get it exact? Excise the memories like a cancerous cell. It would have to be specific, targeted, or else she would risk forgetting a lot more than just forty years that didn’t really happen.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2023 13:10:29 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"Do you want me to tell you the truth? Or do you want me to make you feel better?"[break][break]

In another world, he could have just assured Cygne that this was just some mass delusion. Everyone blanked out in a pile of slush for twenty minutes and it felt like twenty years. They'd feel the phantom pains of a shared dream until one day they didn't, the only proof of their losses a handful of gifts from the world's most dickish Santa Claus.[break][break]

But they didn't live in that world. They lived in a world where existed.[break][break]

He wondered how she found out the truth. Did she wake up from her nightmare, hoping against all hope that as her life returned to normal her Pokemon's did as well? Was she lucky enough to find the Pokeballs of her fallen simply missing? Or did she open them up, hoping they could shake her our of her torment, only to find their corpses waiting for her?[break][break]

In some ways, it was the worst of both worlds. For every success and gain they found, it was fantasy. For every loss and agony suffered, it was cold, hard reality. The gift they'd been given as a token of gratitude felt almost like an insulting consolation prize by comparison.[break][break]

But Isaac couldn't just tell Cygne that. Not if she wasn't prepared for it. Not if it would only hurt her instead of help her move past.[break][break]

How could anyone just move past this?

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 0:50:34 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]For a moment after he asks the question, the both of them are lost in thought. Cyg’s brain has latched onto this concept of memory smoke, dream fog, like meathooks in a haunch, tugging and pulling it around the icebox of her mind.

“The truth.”

How to make it sharp, exact? Like trimming a fractal segment of DNA. Amnesia? Probably not, since it only affected the user. Disable? Disable makes the Pokemon unable to use moves shared between sets. Briefly, she entertains the idea of pulling from her and Isaac’s shared recollections… but that was too risky. She might lose all of their shared everything, and there was no pain severe enough to be worth that.

She closes her eyes. She hasn’t decided, yet, if she wants to go back or forget. She imagines a paring knife slicing through skin, lifting it to bare the soft fruit underneath. Snip snip, says the vet in Babe, standing over the muzzled Boltund, we can do it Tuesday. Or had it been Thursday? And why was her life always boiled down to movie references?

When she realizes she’s been quiet for maybe too long, she slowly opens her eyes.

“The truth. Always.”

For a moment she imagines herself sitting up and walking out into the backyard. The light is pale; there’s laundry on the line. For a moment, she’s that scene in The Conjuring where the sheet flies off in the wind and there’s a human shape in it. The ghost of someone, tortured.

That’s what she feels like. It’s pathetic. She hates it. But everywhere she touches is too raw to really dig in and pick herself up. The edges of this dissociative divide are too steep to climb; its depths too vast to risk jumping.

Her mind circles back to forgetting. A dog chasing its tail.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 13:33:36 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Cygne's eyes were far off and distant. Her voice was quick and quiet. She said she wanted the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, but it was clear her head was elsewhere. Both everything and nothing were on her mind, caught between their twin pressures.[break][break]

As Isaac waited for her reverie to end, she reiterated her choice. The truth.[break][break]

"Was hoping you'd pick the other one," Isaac admitted, a tired smile on his face. " 'Cause my head hurts trying to figure all this out." The truth was a paradox, an impossible contradiction. How could something be both a shared delusion and realer than reality itself?[break][break]

"Truth is? Its both. And neither." Even saying it felt ridiculous. Nonetheless, Isaac's fingers traced across the locket he hid beneath his shirt. "Far as the rest of thr region's concerned, nothing happened. We went onto a route, tweaked out for an hour, and came back talking about nonsense. We're not a minute older than we were when we left, let alone twenty years."[break][break]

"But that doesn't explain this."[break][break]

He fished out the locket, though he knew better than to dare open it. "It also doesn't explain the fact that some Pokemon, even some people, went to sleep and never woke up. If they died in the dream, they weren't able to follow."[break][break]

His voice turned hard and bitter in the face of the injustice. "So everything we gained was a dream, and everything we lost was cold, hard reality. And all we have to show for it are a couple of party favors. Isn't good king Calyrex so generous?"[break][break]

It was a heinous injustice. Yet, in the face of it, Isaac's expression began to soften. "All we have left's what's in our hearts. But that doesn't mean the pain's all we have to remember, right?" Hurt lingered. Joy was fleeting. This was true even when the source of one didn't evaporate into misty vapors. "We didn't just get to peek twenty years into the future. We got to live it. Share it with each other. Feel just how much we can do."[break][break]

"It was the best twenty years of my life. Leaving it behind hurts more than anything else. But that's all the more reason to make it a reality."[break][break]

Grief and hope bled into his voice, swirling together into the bittersweet, heavy weight on his heart. Each move he made chasing this hope stretched his tired, agonized muscles to their limit, but the idea of it flying past his reach was unthinkable. He'd tasted surrender once before, and refused to do so ever again.[break][break]

The joy and pride he had from those 20 years was all he had left. To let them die would make his sacrifice all for nothing.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 16:59:02 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]
"Sorry."

A thousand sorries. What's one more.

Her eyes went to the little piece of jewelry on the end of the chain, a spark of life where there had been none. She thinks of the fragment of metal she'd come back with, the way she'd thrown it away; it was nothing but a band-aid, a painful reminder, a paltry prize.

She wishes she hadn't.

"If..."

She swallows, because humor is now so foreign to her it's like a different language.

"...if I ever meet Calyrex IRL, it's on sight."

And then he got to the root of it. The crux of it all. It had happened. Unhappened. It could happen again. Not the same, maybe.

But it could.

The years stretching in front of them now all seemed daunting. Full of laborious, hard work. Exhausting. Aching. Miserable.

But that other life hadn't been perfect, either. There were many nights she'd cried herself to sleep. The switching point had been when she'd stopped feeling trapped, stopping feeling stuck.

Started living again.

And it hurt. It hurt so, so bad. There were phantom pains in her stomach and in her shoulders and in her mind. Ghosts of a sweet dream that melted away at waking; the kind that left you sad and spent, like you'd cried all night.

But he was right. The hurt was real but it wasn't all for nothing. They hadn't lost their years, really, just a preview of them. A beta version, an example.

Ever so slowly, Cyg's hand moves up from his heart to the span of his shoulder, palm over the warmth of his neck, thumb brushing across the pulsepoint in his throat.

Warm. Alive. Real.

"Would you want to do it over again?" she asked, almost afraid to hope; like the brightness of it might blind her. "With... with me?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 17:44:50 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"A god fights another god, and we get tasked by a third god to get their mess off of his lawn. All while we had to try not to get killed by two other gods fight-fucking all over the place. Then we shrug our shoulders and get back to war because a bunch of god-powered lunatics tell us to."[break][break]

"Forget Calyrex. I'm sick of the whole lot."[break][break]

The Ruinous Quartet running wild with reckless abandon. Necrozma and Eternatus warring so hard they birthed an entire army of nightmares. Matias Silph destroying sacred relics and attacking his own allies like a lunatic. Walsh letting everyone throw themselves into a meat grinder for him so he could reign over the crater. Fuck, by this point, Isaac wouldn't be surprised if Dahlia Goode tore her shirt open like Superman to reveal she was Arceus all along.[break][break]

What have these gods and kings done for any of them besides make their lives miserable? Except for Rayquaza destroying the meteor, that is. Ray-Ray was cool in Isaac's books. The rest of the bunch could fuck off.[break][break]

But this wasn't about the capricious whims of those powerhouses, monster and man alike. This was about all the little people trying to get by in the wake. This was about the ones who, in escape from and defiance of their machinations, had turned a 20 year exile into the best years of life. This was about life in Hoenn, because time passed and the world turned no matter how many tragedies and madmen tried to change that fact.[break][break]

This was about them.[break][break]

As Cygne's touch softly glided across his body, Isaac nestled that slightest bit closer to her. There was still so much left unsaid. There were still lingering wounds to heal, fears to face, and questions to resolve. But for a single, precious moment, they were back on Galar, where none of that mattered. And when it did? They'd face it together.[break][break]

"I'd love nothing more."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 15:13:28 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
She swallows, and she’s crying without realizing it, crying without a sound.

“I’m sick of it,” she says, like she’s that little kid in the story she used to love to read here, probably still in the living room-- the little kid with their finger in the dam and holding the flood of water back, but suddenly she’s decided she has to move and, boom, down goes all the water. “I’m sick of all the bullshit. I’m tired of fighting gods and-- traveling through time and stopping meteors and. I used to think that was what I wanted, right? Power? To matter? But it sucks. It just sucks. I’m fucking tired. I don’t care about being a badass anymore. I don’t care about being a Beast or being noticed by or Felix or Oscar or Elisa or-- fucking, anyone, anymore.”

She was fucking thirty years old and, Arceus above, was she ready to back to being no one? Being another nameless busybody in the nameless workforce? Don her GMH jumpsuit and fade back into obscurity?

A shaking breath breezes through her like a hurricane wind. This feels like bearing her deepest, darkest secrets. Like something she’s been running from, been hiding. Because she has! She has. She and Isaac have talked about this before, the building up of people in her mind; she just didn’t realize until this very moment she’d been doing it with herself, too.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 16:44:54 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]As Cygne cried, Isaac eased his way closer to her. His arms wrapped softly but securely around her shoulders, nestling her as closely and protectively against him as she would allow.[break][break]

Everything Cygne had done had been a desperate cry for help. It had been a desperate attempt at mattering in the grand scheme of the universe. People five years younger than her were climbing up the League and Rocket ladders. People her age were striking up contracts with godbeasts. Every month in Hoenn seemed to be another earth-shattering revelation, another multiverse-threatening crisis, another blow dealt in this forever war. And every time, Cygne was on the fringes. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.[break][break]

But what "mattering" was that, in the grand scheme of things? Being the pawn of some fickle god? Committing atrocities so a bigger monster would give a token nod of approval? Sacrificing your own wellbeing, happiness, and maybe even life in the hopes of racking up some points on a big, cosmic scoreboard?[break][break]

"That's okay." Isaac's voice was soft and gentle. His hand traced gentle paths through Cygne's hair, a desperate attempt at grounding her as she ranted her heart out. He couldn't blame her for any of it. How long had it been since they had a single month of peace in Hoenn? Rising action. Climax. Falling action. Rinse, wash, repeat. If there wasn't a globe-spanning tragedy, there was another scheme or endeavor being spun up by Rocket. And Rocket expected attendance. They expected servitude.[break][break]

That was the rub here, wasn't it? Rocket didn't care who you were, no matter how hard it pretended to. Rocket didn't care what you wanted, bar concessions here and there to string you along. Rocket only cared about what you could do for them. And if you decided to stop playing ball, well . . .[break][break]

He'd find . He had to.[break][break]

"You do matter, though." It was still there. That hateful binary. That lingering tendril of Rocket's indoctrination. That endless pressure from the League's warfront. The association of mattering with being a badass or a powerhouse. The idea that you only mattered if you could inflict that mattering on someone else, for better or for far, far worse.[break][break]

"You know what doesn't matter? All of this bullshit." Passion and frustration seared itself into Isaac's voice. "Playing whack a mole with the apocalypse. Going to war with people we know and love. Groveling at the feet of a bunch of psychopaths."[break][break]

"You're right. I'm sick of it too. This isn't what life's about. This isn't why we're here."[break][break]

He sighed, pressing a gentle kiss onto Cygne's forehead. "You don't need to be Cygne the Rocket or Cygne the badass or Cygne the Beast to matter," he murmured, his indignation simmering down into a wet, heavy sorrow. "None of that matters."[break][break]

"What matters is that, when a comic author does something stupid, you call me up and rant about how much better of a job you'd do for hours. Or that when we're on the last pastry, you always cut it in half to try and stretch it out for just one more day. Or that when I told you how hot your back muscles are, you spent a week trying to sneak flexes past me to drive me crazy. Or that when you laugh, you laugh big, and for a moment you're just so perfectly, shamelessly you."[break][break]

"You matter because you're Cygne."

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 15, 2023 19:03:45 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
At some point, she thinks, the pathetic feeling of feeling pathetic should just wash out, right? At some point there has to be a tip-over, a house of pathetic cards, falling and scattering across a veritable sea of patheticness.

This was okay, is what she was saying, because she was already feeling pathetic.

She buries her face in the crook of his neck and cries into his chest-- not sobs, not really, just tears; like she’s still holding back and they’re just managing to sneak through. She listens to him rattle off her accolades-- her Just Cygne things, not her work, not her inventions, not what she might be to the future or to Rocket or to anyone, else, really except them-- and the warm gooeyness of it makes her temples throb.

“I think I have to be done,” she says, voice warped with tears, the gaspy, sort of echoing rasp of a wrung-out voice on crying. “I don’t know.”

She shakes with a breath, pulls back to rub at her eyes. Feeling more human than porcelain, for a moment.

“I don’t know,” she repeats, sounding more solid, more present. “If it were for something, maybe, I could keep doing it. But it isn’t. I think if… if that future proved anything, it’s blindly throwing our bodies under the wheel doesn’t accomplish anything except make the people already in power stronger. That’s not what I signed up for.” A weak laugh. “Actually, I’m sure it is. A useless, endless war. That’s exactly what I signed up for.”

But at what point does joining Rocket to escape the useless tedium of normal life defeat the purpose if now she’s stuck in the useless, painful tedium of normal Rocket life?

“I like the store,” she says, sort of coming out of left field, like she’s just arrived and taking stock. “I like the-- the apothecary. I like making stuff and selling it and doing inventory and choosing stock and arranging flowers and stealing ideas off of Pinterest.” It’s so blasé, so lame. So very much not the red jumpsuit katana wielding Fall Out Boy’s Folie a Deux era she anticipated for herself. “I miss the flower shop.”

She rolls away from him, staring at the ceiling, the dust having spiderwebbed off from the popcorn texture and hangs still in the dead air.

“I don’t know. I don’t think I’d… be thinking this if we hadn’t… if the Shield… that’s okay, right?” she lets her head fall to the side to look at him, cheeks ruddy from crying. “I’m allowed to, like. Change. Because of-- because of one thing. I’m not flaking.”

I'm allowed to want to be happy without endless sacrifice.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 16, 2023 4:43:00 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]They had to be done. Everyone had to be done at some point. The idea of never being done terrified Isaac to his core. In a sense, it was one of the most worrying concerns he had about Rocket. When they were done with Hoenn, they'd move on to the next region. And the next one. And the next one. Even if someone genuinely thought Rocket rule would improve Hoenn, they could never sit back and savor what had been done. They'd be forced to march in a forever war until their bodies broke for the cause.[break][break]

The idea of doing that for a cause he'd long stopped believing in made Isaac want to vomit.[break][break]

Cygne took the words right out of his mouth. "It was. But they did a hell of a job hiding the fine print." He groaned at the thought, wondering how he'd ever been so fooled. "I picked a hell of a time to join, y'know? Rocket was under new management. They were putting out all that junk about new, better ways. Shit, the League had to play catchup so Rocket would stop making them look so bad."[break][break]

"Felt like something big was happening. And we threw it all away for what? So a bunch of the higher ups could feel like tough guys while sacking Hoenn's smallest town? So Walsh could get his grubby hands all over some space rocks?" It was insane.[break][break]

It was his life.[break][break]

It couldn't keep going on like this.[break][break]

"There's a lot of stuff you like," Isaac said. "You like inventions! You like scripts and screenplays! And, yes. You even like organizing things til they're just the way you pictured 'em. And y'know what? All that's stuff only you can do. It stands out more than being yet another faceless grunt in black spandex, if you ask me."[break][break]

Was he letting things slip while venting? Was he trying to encourage Cygne to leave Rocket? Or was he picking up on the doubts that she was finally letting rise to the surface? At times like this, Isaac didn't even know, and it seemed like Cygne didn't either. Isaac couldn't help but laugh, less at her question but more at the enormity of the question it presented.[break][break]

"One thing? Cyg, c'mon. Do you know how long of a time 20 years is?" Isaac asked. "I couldn't even use a fork 20 years ago! We're talking a whole lifetime here. If you can't change your mind after all that, when can you?" Yet her mind had to be changed from something. With a sigh, Isaac looked towards Cygne, a hint of pain in his eye.[break][break]

"Why'd you do it?"

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 26, 2023 22:37:38 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
There were only two directions to go, in Rocket: up, and out. Both were dangerous, long journies, with a wide and varied expectation of reasonable payoffs, losses, and end routes.

“Yes,” she says, and it’s empirically hissed, because he hit it right on the head of the issue, and she grabbed it with both hands. “Yes, exactly. New. Different. Quieter. Calmer. Genuinely making a change. Not… not blood and mud power grabs using the rank and file as meat shields for this fucking ceaseless organ grinder of bullshit.”

Isaac’s acknowledgment of the issues at hand was a balm. She’d been worried he would disagree with her… because for all her suffering, she was also pulling into this gravitational well of misery the idea that Isaac was killing himself being a part of Rocket. Being another tooth in the cavernous, carnivorous, senseless maw that sought nothing but carnage and death, both things he was, decidedly, not cut out for.

So to have him sit here and agree with her… agree that it couldn’t go on, agree that, maybe, getting off the ride was the best course of action…

…that was more relieving than she would dare admit. But it also raised the problem of what would happen if he did get out. Because he had to. It was painful for Cyg, but it was killing Isaac, slowly and with a tortuous melody that would grind him to bonedust if it went on for too much longer. So if-- when-- he got out… well, everyone pretty much knew about the two of them, if they’d been paying attention at all over the last few months. Isaac would become wanted man #1, and all wrapped up into one, and Cygne…

…Cygne would die before she betrayed him. She knew that for a fact. She would happily keep sticking her arm into this fucking woodchipper if it meant Isaac got to be the slightest bit safe and happy.

She’s shaken out of her thoughts by his question.

“Do what? Join Rocket?”
She gave a mirthless laugh. “Because I was depressed, broke, suicidal, lonely, and desperate for something, anything, to change, running up shit creek with no goddamn boat, let alone a paddle, and fighting against a system that would never give a nobody like me a chance.”

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights