Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2023 19:14:48 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac wrapped a protective, gentle hand around Cygne's as she shared her side of the story. He'd gotten there too, but in reverse. First came a push, a chance encounter throwing him headfirst into the mess. Then came the realization that, for once, his basic needs would be met. All that higher minded stuff about failing Leagues and missed chances and making a difference came later.[break][break]

It was ironic. Rocket made him care in the first place. It made him care to the point that he outgrew it.[break][break]

"I'm not giving up on that part, you know," Isaac said, his hand finding resolve in the gaps between her fingers. "There's gonna be a change. There's gonna be a chance. And if I can't make it happen the first time, I'm gonna find a way."[break][break]

He was the undeserving king of Motostoke. It was time to stand tall and earn that title.[break][break]

His promise wasn't all he had to say. He lingered at the precipice of one last question, just as he had for the last few months and the last twenty years. It was the question he'd started but couldn't bring himself to finish. It was the question he'd surrendered in Galar to avoid dredging up the scars of a lost world. It was the question had seared into her mind, bacldropped by a putrefied wasteland.[break][break]

"Why'd you help her destroy the floristry? And why'd you follow her after?"

[break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2023 23:54:03 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknox2"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Isaac is a warm, solid presence at her side, and she tilts her chin and nestles into him. They float there, suspended in that bed smelling of flower petals, in a chilly room of stale air and lavender. The noise from outside as her team sets apart to bring the house back to life seems to fade in and out-- like birdsong, Cyg thinks, when you get so used to hearing it.

“I don’t know,” she whispers, quiet and hoarse, like she doesn’t want to say it. “I don’t… it’s just like not being in Rocket. Staring down the barrel of my own mortality, in a system that will break us before it bends.” She tilts her head to look at him. “I don’t know if we can change it. I don't know if I really want to try, Isaac. I certainly don't want you to throw your life away trying to lead all the rats out of the maze when they don't fucking want to listen.”

His question knocks her still, like all the air has gone out of the room. She goes cold.

“I didn’t… help, necessarily,”
she says, after a long bit. “I didn’t think… she’d said she was closing down. Moving. Publicly outing herself, eventually. I thought I was just shifting stock. Maybe she’d sell? It would get bulldozed? I didn’t think she was going to torch the place.” A harsh laugh bursts from her. “If she’d come up to me and said ‘Cygne, I’m going to burn down fucking Petalburg Woods, I’d have tried to change her mind. I didn’t want to lose the Floristry but Elisa had… has moved on.”

She stops as the emotion bubbles to the surface again, tears filling her eyes. When she speaks, her words are once again warped.

“And I followed her… well, because, it’s Elisa. Because she’s my best friend, my mentor. She gave me a chance to become something more than even Rocket did… so she said, take what I’ve taught you, move to Sootopolis. She bought the shop and gave me the funds to start it. Because she saw what I’ve been… what I’m…” her voice breaks. She doesn’t really know what she’s going to say here, so she takes a deep, shaky breath, and tries again.

“I’ve been staring into a pretty noxious, awful fucking void for the last few months. The amount of heinous shit I was planning on doing-- maybe for a good reason, in the end-- was just fucking astronomical. Because Elisa is off on this villain arc, right, and she’s getting her retribution and-- you saw. You saw how she was in Galar. You saw that fucking snail.” There’s an undeniable venom that comes into her words, then. “She said we deserved this. She said we deserved to do what we wanted and not be hindered by-- by the laws of men, essentially. And I wanted that. At least, I thought I did. To hell with the morals, to hell with people, I never cared about them anyway.” And she’s monologing a bit, now, but. “And, to be honest, I still don’t. My moral compass is all sorts of fucked up. I’m still not a good person and I have done some horrible things that would make normal people-- would make you-- absolutely loathe me. But I don’t know if I want that to be my forever. I don’t know if it’s all worth the cost in the end. Especially if-- if what we had in Galar-- is that what I’m trading? For this… this fucked up power grab, this snatch at-- at whatever the fuck I’m trying to do? Power? Fame? What the fuck ever?”

Her voice had been steadily rising in volume until she was almost shouting. The silence afterward was deafening.

“I don’t think it is,”
she finished, quiet, lame, “anymore.”

She scrubs a hand down her face and tries to catch her breath.

“And, anyway, she doesn’t need me anymore. I’ve been replaced by Barnaby fucking Finch.” There’s real hate, there, the kind of sinister petulance that comes from watching a dear, dear friend slip through your fingers into the arms of another.

[attr="class","samknoxt"]
[attr="class","samknoxc"]

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2023 0:52:55 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]"I wish I had more of a choice about it," Isaac admitted. "But I kinda signed my life away when I hopped on that sub in the first place. So now its up to me to clean up after my own mess, one way or another."[break][break]

"Two ways it goes. Either I let it break me. Or I don't."[break][break]

His words were a mix of cynicism and optimism that bled together in an almost indescribable fashion. From one corner of his mouth, his words were as bitter as ice, practically laughing in the face of the impossible hand he'd been dealt. From the other corner, they were warm and inspiring, carrying a wisdom paradoxical in its simplicity.[break][break]

It was the truth, wasn't it? No matter what everyone else did, no matter what society did, no matter what choices his friends made, Isaac had to make a choice for himself. And that choice was either to break or to not.[break][break]

"Like hell am I letting any of this take my life, though," Isaac said. "I'm doing this so I can start living. So we can start living. Can't do that if I just throw it all away, can I? I'm just . . . gonna have to finally start playing this smarter, that's all."[break][break]

He reached halfway to Cygne. Now it was her turn to reach halfway to him. And, boy, did she have a lot of reaching tucked away in her heart today. The more she spoke, the closer Isaac held her, one hand slung around her waist and entwined with her hand as the other softly, gently played with her hair.[break][break]

It turned out, while she followed 's lead, she wasn't prepared for how they got there in the slightest. She didn't expect the inferno. She didn't expect the blight. She sure as hell didn't expect the woman she idolized above all else to get high off of her own supply and regress into some kind of bridge troll.[break][break]

Yet it hadn't just been Elisa. Cygne, too, had been teetering at the edge of the abyss. She'd pondered horrible things. She's done horrible things. To a degree, she wanted to do so for great reasons. To another degree, she wanted to chase that same power high. It was a complicated road that she walked, pushed by that same need for greatness and power that had haunted her since Isaac had lost his eye.[break][break]

Twenty years of perspective showed her where those roads ended. Elisa spent twenty years spinning her wheels in the same place, while Cygne unshackled herself from the whole rat race to become a master engineer and beloved queen. The Cygne she feared she'd become felt all too easy to throw away. The Cygne she now saw in her future was so much harder to give up on.[break][break]

"We've all done horrible things," Isaac said, voice soft and weak. "I wish I could tell you, when called me to his room and told me to sink or swim, that I told him to fuck off. But . . ."[break][break]

He couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence. But he forced himself to. "It was my life or his. And, knowing Cil, it would've been his life or both of ours. The guy was dead the second Rocket had him. But that didn't make it any easier."[break][break]

Isaac found himself laughing and crying, because what the fuck else could he do? "You were right, Cyg. I was so bad at it," he admitted. "But I carried it with me for those twenty years. I wanted to make a world where nobody'd even have to think about the choice I needed to make."[break][break]

"We've all done horrible things, yeah? But . . . no amount of whipping ourselves over it is going to change the past. The future's all we have left. And that's up to us to forge. Together. Just like we did in Galar."[break][break]

He tried to bring the hope in his voice back. He really did. However, it was clear that he had done his fair share of whipping. He still was. But he refused to dwell on it. Not when Cygne needed him.[break][break]

Not when she wasn't the only one.[break][break]

"He took ." The words came out of Isaac's mouth before he even knew he was saying them. "I saw him. Tried to stop him, shout him down, do anything, but. By the time I saw him, they were already gone." Useless. Just as he'd been when Cygne fled. Just as he'd been when Cil forced him to kill. Disgust flooded through his stomach.[break][break]

Nevertheless, he tried to force a weak smile. "Guess we've both got some bones to pick, huh?"

[break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2023 1:11:51 GMT
ana fell Avatar
[attr="class","samknox"]
[attr="class","samknox2"]
[attr="class","samknoxw"]Cygne listened to him for a moment, but he got to a point and she rolled over and placed a hand gently over his cheek, eyes blazing with the first sign of life in a long time.

“You are not cleaning up your 'mess'.” She said, like it was a biblical fact, no room for argument. “The amount of 'mess' you have caused would fill a thimble. You are trying to save the world, because you are Isaac and that is what you do.” Her fingers softened, and her gaze did, too. “I’m-- the stuff you have to atone for is so-- I just don’t want you to die, Isaac. And I don’t mean stop breathing. I mean I don’t want you to throw your life away into this endless indentured servitude for wrongs you have the impression you’ve committed. Not to be a fucking nerd about this, but I don’t want you to be Bruce Wayne, endlessly trying to save the world the way you couldn’t save your parents, or what the fuck ever.”

Somehow through all this soul-baring and monologuing their legs had gotten intertangled; one of his arms was thrown over her and one of her arms was snaked under him.

“You didn’t have a choice,”
she said, brushing stray locks of blonde behind his ear. “You said it yourself. If you’d have refused , he’d have killed you, at minimum, and probably me, too, or at least hurt me badly. The choice to save not only your life but the lives of the people around you at the expense of your sense of morality is not a choice. It’s an illusion of choice.”

She shook her head, just the barest twitch of it, as though to get them back on track. What she was trying to illustrate is she was a horrible person that killed and mutilated people for ‘funsies’, or, at least, for scientific gain. Isaac had been a pawn, a soldier, taking a life to save his own skin. The crimes were not comparable.

“I’m not trying to blame Elisa for everything. It’s not her fault I’ve done what I’ve done. And I’m not trying to… to self-flagellate myself into an early grave. I just have to decide if it’s worth… if it’s worth everything, honestly.”

The mention of Caleb got an eyebrow raise, but little else.

“They had a-- a thing, didn’t they? In Galar?” she gave a halfhearted shrug. “Maybe he’s not in as much danger as you think. He’s a pretty capable guy, Caleb.”

[attr="class","samknoxt"]
[attr="class","samknoxc"]

[newclass=.samknox]margin:0 auto;width:420px;box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox blockquote]margin-left: 0;margin-right: 0;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px!important;font-family:poppins, sans-serif!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknox2]border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px;background-color:#272727;height:80px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;margin-bottom: -30px;border:solid 1px #232323;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw]font-size:11.5px;letter-spacing:.5px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw u]text-decoration: none; border-bottom:none!important; font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 3px; color: #666666; text-transform: uppercase;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxw i]color: #888;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt]text-align:center;padding:20px 40px 20px 40px;border-top:1px solid #232323;margin-top:30px;margin-bottom:-45px;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxt a]text-transform:uppercase!important;font: bold 12px Quattrocento Sans!important; letter-spacing: 1.5px!important;[/newclass][newclass=.samknoxc]float:right;margin-top:25px;margin-right:-40px;height:12px;width:12px;border-radius:5px;font-size:8px;line-height:12px;text-align:center;padding:1px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,311 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Boyfriend Shirt [S]
POSTED ON Jul 31, 2023 1:54:06 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]"The amount of mess I've caused myself could fill a lifetime, Cyg. My lifetime." This, too, was a biblical fact. It didn't matter if it was always someone else's "fault." He'd caused himself more pain and grief than he deserved. He'd only cause himself more the longer he lingered in Rocket. "That's what I need to fix."[break][break]

Would some of that fixing involve playing hero? Sure. He was Isaac. It was what he did. But some of it would involve tending to those who meant the world to him. Some of it would entail taking the opportunities life had once denied to it. And some of it, believe it or not, would involve actually giving himself some selfcare.[break][break]

"Endless servitude's following Rocket as they war through Hoenn, then through Sinnoh, through Unova, Kalos, Alola, Galar-" Isaac couldn't even handle that idea in abstract. He visibly shook the thought away. "I'm tired of serving. I'm taking back my life and living it on my terms. If I have to fight for that right? Then so be it. But I'll take one last battle over an endless war."[break][break]

It may have been the only way to escape this hell.[break][break]

That said, he could understand Cygne's hesitation. Was making that last stand worth it? Was knowing that Rocket would always have it out for them worth it? Was knowing that the League had leverage on them worth it? As much as Isaac wanted to believe he could make a last, desperate push towards a normal life, he knew it simply didn't work that way.[break][break]

But he could let it break him, or he could refuse.[break][break]

"Your life and your happiness are worth everything," Isaac assured her, softly pressing his forehead against Cygne's. "Both to me, and more importantly, to you."[break][break]

Their conversation wandered a little. She tried to ease Isaac's mind about , but how could she? How could anyone? Isaac knew all too well what would happen the second he fell into the wrong man's hands.[break][break]

"If he wants Caleb, he can ask for his number like anyone else," Isaac said, voice bitter. " 'Sides, I've been trying to reach him, and I haven't gotten a response. Not even a "read." Either they're having one hell of a honeymoon slash social media detox, or he's been kidnapped."[break][break]

"And we both know what happens if he's kidnapped."[break][break]

Isaac didn't need to say a word. If anything, he was amazed 's name hadn't come up earlier in this whole chat of obligations and mentors and sacrifices. He was Isaac's , except instead of besties they covered every remaining part of the spectrum. He was also someone with some serious rank to pull and a huge chip in his shoulder named Caleb Harcourt.[break][break]

Isaac was not letting Caleb getting served to his brother on a boytoy shaped platter.

[break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights