March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
Float Like a Beedrill, Sting Like a...? [GYM][C/Alex]
POSTED ON Sept 4, 2023 17:29:27 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin was in a great mood. Though she didn't partake of the Gym Challenge, having no desire to become a Champion, there were certain Gyms she loved the premise of. One was the Gym of Fortree Leader . It was a playground for flying Pokémon of all kinds. One day, after serving a Ranger ticket in the Fortree area, she had grabbed signup forms for the Aerial Obstacle Course challenge. With her Pokémon, flying blindfolded was not a great idea, given one's reliance on the sense of touch, which her flying Pokémon severely dulled. Jousting from the back of a Beedrill also felt like it would be an accident waiting to happen. That left the third, and to her, most fun challenge option.

The Captain-in-Training slid down from her Shiny Beedrill's saddle, having no need to withdraw the Pokémon as she entered the spacious lobby. She had a sly smile on her face, wondering what kind of reaction she'd get out of the aviary's staff as she turned in her application for a challenge. Safety wouldn't be an issue, as Shalin had placed foam spheres over her partner's foreleg and rear stings.

Once she had been processed, Shalin followed the directions to the site of the challenge. She climbed back aboard her Beedrill and buzzed and bumbled her way about the aviary, searching for the Leader or the designated site of the challenge.

{WC: 237}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS
Queen Zing      Beedrill**        Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 5, 2023 18:07:53 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

What was it with his receptionists always bearing witness to some kind of insanity when the challengers rolled in?

Luckily, Claire had left to run a few errands through the city delivering prescription medicines and stuff, so it was the nicer of the two that she would meet—Ethan with the mousy brown hair who’d taken a few moments to take in the sight of a shiny Beedrill floating along the premises—at least the stingers had foam over them, that was a relief—and showed her the way to take to the back.

(Right door behind the front desk, as always.)

For Alexei himself was already waiting outside, arms crossed and equally-cheeky grin on his face as he saw that she’d arrived—hoo boy, why did he know that she was going to bring her favored mount along?

“The moment I heard Ethan exclaim at the sight of the Beedrill, I knew it was you,” he greeted her while a Flygon looped around him before coming to a hover near him.

“For the record, he was the first to get a score of zero out of this entire course. Hopefully you won’t fall by the wayside, eh?” he cackled.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Sept 7, 2023 6:21:36 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Knowing what kind of challenge she had signed up for, Shalin left the foam spheres covering Queen Zing's three stings even as she met with the Gym Leader directly. While it wasn't exactly a phobia, she was aware that giant insects were among the Birdfather's least-favorite flying Pokémon. She shot Alex a grin at his greeting mentioning Ethan's disbelief. "Who else in Hoenn would be crazy enough to hop on a Beedrill, right?" Besides Josh, whose Beedrill was still in League custody for another six months, the only other that came to mind was .

"Nice Flygon!" she complimented the Birdfather on his choice of Pokémon. "Had I known you would bring a Flygon to the challenge, I would have brought my own!" It may have been for the best; it had been a long since since she had been astride the Flygon without her Sygna Suit. It would be a big adjustment to get used to vibration that fast and powerful again. "This should be a blast. I've wanted to try racing at Josh's Gym, but his Pokémon scare me. One thing before we get started, though," she asked, pointing to the BEEDRILLITE embedded at the end of her mount's saddle. "Is Mega Evolution on the table?"

{WC: 211}
{PC: 2}

Queen Zing      Beedrill**        Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2023 19:47:38 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“Only the two of you if I’m being honest,” he cracked at her mention of the Beedrill-riding shenanigans. To be fair, though, there was a perfectly legitimate reason as to why he only rode on avians and on larger insectoid Pokémon like Flygon—it was due to their size in general.

(How in the seven hells did manage riding a Yanmega he will never understand, but then again he was lankier and taller than most.)

“I mean, it’s not too late if you want to swap out to your Flygon so we can go head-to-head,” he suggested once they were outside at the open-air arena out back. “Oh, and…”

He couldn’t help but cackle again.

“Surprise.”

With a ‘grandiose’ gesture, he then flung out his arms to the… insanity that was the aerial course they were going to fly. Unlike ’s which put emphasis on speed, his was literally, and quite literally a hodgepodge of obstacles: truly a lesson in aerial navigation.

“Don’t get me started on the time I had a rubber match with a Golurk out here! Everyone had to scramble to blow up all the obstacles because the original size configuration was for either my Salamence or Braviary—moment came out here with a Golurk things got really crazy!”

(He cackled again.)

“Oh, and one other thing—it’s all natural flying out here, no speed boosts or anything.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Sept 23, 2023 8:03:09 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
"You would?" Shalin asked, a smile on her face as she looked surprised that the Gym Leader would entertain her challenging with a Pokémon she didn't register. "Let me switch, then!" The girl slid off her Beedrill's back then recalled the giant insect, sending out an insectile dragon, her Sygna Flygon. Clambering aboard and hastily taking her seat, her hair stood on end from a blast of vibration fueled by her almost invisibly fast wings. It wasn't anywhere close to as loud as her Beedrill's buzzing, but it still drowned out plenty of noise around her. It was the only buzzing Pokémon she had whose wings were quiet enough for her to not need ear protection.

It was a good thing she switched, too; the aerial course Shalin was subject to looked absolutely insane. It was almost as though the course was designed for the tremendous agility her Flygon could display. The green dragon's wings chirped, Shalin's hair standing on end from the vibration fueling them. She laughed when Alex mentioned Isaac's challenge with a Golurk. It was definitely unusual, but riding a Golurk seemed... boring. No gallop to feel. No sliding around corners. No recoil to keep her sharp. They were reasonably common ride Pokémon -- just not for her.

Shalin spit at the mention of boost moves being forbidden. "Who do you think I am, the Master of Faster?" she retorted, Sandy's wings vibrating with a low pitch. She wanted in the air. What was taking him so long to start?

{WC: 255}
{PC: 3}

Sandy           Flygon            Good

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2023 17:47:50 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

He cackled the moment she took the offer, quickly switching out the Beedrill for a Flygon—his own Flygon’s wings began to vibrate excitedly because he would be flying against another one of his own kind!

(The last time he’d flown in a match was against Nike, but see how that turned out, lol.)

“I mean, the both of you have a thing for riding Pokémon, are you sure you’re not like, related or something?” he cracked once he got on his own Flygon and zipped up to the ‘starting point’ where surprisingly it was Ethan who had the whistle—riding his Pidgeot, Idun.

(He still didn’t have a ridable Flying-type, plus Idun was one of the more amiable ones who would allow someone else on her back, so there was that.)

“Alright, you two—welcome to this insanity,” the brown-haired receptionist cracked as he gestured to the insanity ahead of them. “There’s only like, one thing you have to do,” he continued in Shalin’s direction.

“Get out in one piece.”

And no, that was not a joke, either.

“Fair bit of luck involved here, too,” he chipped in, considering that aforementioned ‘Master of Faster’ legitimately struggled through this entire course. “Oh, and another thing—don’t fly above the obstacles, you’re going to get disqualified if you do that!”

“Anyway, at the ready!” Ethan called the two to attention.

He then snapped his goggles down on his face, before the starting whistle blew—

And off they go!

The first obstacle of the day, he had to call in a favor from some of his friends because it was a literal… battering ram of circling Charizards, all breathing fire at completely random intervals!

The only way through was literally, through a trial by aerial hellfire.

IXEhVDf2

Part 1: trial by hellfire: roll higher than the total of Alex’s rolls to pass! Should you get lower, do you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Oct 17, 2023 8:27:43 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin giggled at Alex questioning whether they were related. "The closest thing we are to related is we both came from Johto," she snickered. "We're not even from the same town. Ecruteak's where I grew up!"

The receptionist described the course as "insanity". Shalin guffawed, nearly choking on her own saliva. "Can't be worse than any of my so-called insanity, can it! Let's see Mausika try to throw me off their wing!" she continued bragging, proud of her Sygna Suit's unique abilities to help her withstand vibration that would shred others who attempted the maddening feat.

At the starting line, Shalin snapped her own borrowed goggles into place. She approached the first obstacle with glee: many Charizard spewing FLAMETHROWER in erratic patterns. "Alright, Sandy, I know how we're getting through this!" The Flygon churned her wings at close to top speed, not to attack, but to make the already nimble insectile dragon even more agile. As a cone of flames approached, Sandy swerved away from it in an instant, flinging Shalin to one side of the saddle. She was responsive as a Ribombee, reacting to the challenger's commands in an instant.

NJHPVBhf

{WC: 192}
{PC: 4}

·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 19:26:41 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

To nobody’s surprise, he watched as the Flygon that flew on ahead curved and danced through the flaming arcs of fire through the air with speed and grace—she’d actually managed to get ahead of him!

Heh, beginner’s luck, he thought with a grin on his face as he urged his own Flygon on to tail her; very nearly getting his hair singed off by a Charizard’s whip of flame that flew too close to him!

“Whoa, Mau, let’s try not to get me bald before I’m forty,” he chuckled as the Flygon had to bank suddenly in mid-air to save him from getting burned while in mid-air.

The next stretch involved even bigger bursts of aerial flames being shot out at increasing intervals, with little room to dodge but to face the flames head-on…

XReXVq|v

Part 1: trial by hellfire: roll lower than the total of Alex’s rolls to pass! Should you get higher, do you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Oct 23, 2023 18:44:05 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin would have laughed if she could have heard Alex's comments about his hair, but she could not. Such was the price of riding on the back of a Pokémon as noisy as a Flygon. She was glad she decided to switch Pokémon last minute: her Beedrill would not have liked all this fire being spewed above the Aviary. At least it was normal fire and not dragonfire.

As much as she wanted to push her Flygon to higher speeds, there was no catching up to the Birdfather, the master of the skies. He won the season opener at Fortree Gym for a reason. Shalin wasn't into racing to begin with. As much as the Master of Faster goaded her into trying, raw high speed made her dizzy, and that was something her Sygna Suit wouldn't protect her against. Its design was oddly specific, letting her withstand vibration and other micro-bursts of speed, as she had found out with Saria.

It seemed the warm-up was over; rather than streams of fire covering the course, the course itself seemed like fire, with narrow, safe bands to pass through. Her eyes shifting toward the source of the FLAMETHROWER attacks, she waited for a large enough gap in them before squeezing Sandy's sides abruptly, the dragon darting forward with insectile acceleration.

P6yDhEFE

{WC: 220}
{PC: 5}

·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 29, 2023 17:03:04 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Just like the other who had come through this obstacle very recently (hello Miss ) this would also prove to be a very interesting opening test as his Flygon zipped and slid through the flames with relative ease.

Over where she would be, though, the flames coming from multiple directions would prove to be a challenge in and on itself! Flames would come very close to singeing her hair if she wasn’t careful enough to avoid the flames!

A sudden whiplash of flame would come soaring up from underneath, and should the Flygon not avoid it in time things could get out of hand as they proceeded through the latter half of the first obstacle…!

In the back of his mind, he would ask her later about her Sygna Suit and how it worked once they were done with the entire course… mostly in the infinity energy aspect of it all.

QOW5UBTf

Part 1: trial by hellfire: roll higher than the total of Alex’s rolls to pass! Should you get lower, do you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Nov 2, 2023 5:43:15 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin was glad she switched to using her Sygna Pokémon last minute. If those flames touched her Beedrill even once, they would have grounded the queen wasp; the stress of their flight would have turned any hole burned through them into an uncontrollable disaster. Sandy was also more agile than the bug-type, and she wasn't sure of the legality of Mega Evolution during her challenge. It may have been buried in the fine print she missed.

As she weaved around several more cones of flame from Alex's dragons, another stream of hot stuff came at her head on. "Yeek!" Shalin cried, flinging her Flygon's reins to one side. Sandy responded almost instantly, stopping only one of her wings in a hurry. The differential thrust flung Shalin to one side of the saddle, her body contorting in a way that was uncomfortable even for her.

As it turned out, Flygon were just as capable of making whippy turns as a Venusaur's vine was!

m1R7K44O

{WC: 163}
{PC: 6}

·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 4, 2023 18:24:03 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Thankfully the greenette would get a pass, since she’d reached the end of the first obstacle (clearly the words ‘trial by fire’ became too much of a reality, all things considered) while he very nearly got singed again, by a low-flying Charizard that tried to toast his hair.

“…yeah that is damned dangerous…” he hissed; but once he’d caught up to Shalin, there was another smirk on his face.

If earlier was a trial by fire, this time it was a trial by—

The shiny beak of his Toucannon, Sam, led the charge… for this obstacle now involved barrage, upon barrage, upon fucking barrage of consecutive Bullet Seed attacks!

“…yeah, apparently all of my Toucannon have Skill Link as their ability so that’s going to always throw out five attacks… next up, I present to you… the Mortar Rounds.”

Not only was it raining Bullet Seeds from multiple directions; what made this worse was that there was even more harsh sunlight streaming down from the localized area which threw up a heat haze through the next section of the aerial course.

“Try not to get your vision blotted out or anything like that, because that heat haze is going to play tricks with your mind, too.”

Just to add even more of an insult, did the heat haze look like it was… sparkling?!

pjZlaI5P

Part 2: blinding Mortar Rounds featuring the Toucannon Armada: land either one of the two numbers of Alex’s rolls to pass! Should you miss, do you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 1:00:32 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Alex was an astute observer; without her Sygna Suit on, she was fully susceptible to the effects of whiplash. The punishment she routinely exposed her body to while in her suit helped, but it could only do so much. As the Gym Leader flew alongside Shalin, he may have been able to see some unsteadiness in her: a sign that perhaps she overdid it with that last wild maneuver.

The rounds of BULLET SEED sounded like a firing squad holding the triggers of automatic weapons, the added heat not doing the rodeo girl any favors. She let Alex fly ahead, giving her the opportunity to catch her breath. When she felt she was ready, she leaned in the best she could before making a pulse with the reins and squeezing her dragon's sides tightly. Sandy's wings chirped loudly, the green duo shooting after Alex and leaving the steering mostly to the insectile Pokémon. Given the species' habitat was the desert, they had to be used to flying around in heat mirages, right?

0CASRZiU

{WC: 173}
{PC: 7}

·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,045 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 22:18:59 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Sometimes, relying on one thing too much would end up biting you back in the ass…

As was about to happen to the greenette that had surprisingly decided to lag behind somewhat. While he had barrel-rolled several times to avoid getting sniped out of the air by the other Toucannon that were going full-tilt like the aerial rocket launchers that they were—

A surprise squawking noise from behind would eventually catch Shalin off-guard, slamming the Flygon with enough force to knock them off-course; and should they not fix their trajectory, would end up on the receiving end of more than just Skill Linked Bullet Seeds being fired her way!

Up ahead, even he’d almost gotten beaned in the shoulder by wayward ‘bullets’, had his own Flygon not pulled off several tight aerial maneuvers he was capable of while under duress.

The latter half of ‘Mortar Rounds’ would only increase in intensity—as the rest of the Toucannon flying to disrupt their aerial progress with Bullet Seeds being fired off like watermelon seeds continued to be a relentless force.

J0i2R__o

Part 2: blinding Mortar Rounds featuring the Toucannon Armada: land either one of the two numbers of Alex’s rolls to pass! Should you miss, do you want to know what happens?

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,400 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 23:16:14 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The impact from behind Shalin knocked her forward, the girl glad she had cocoons on most of her flying Pokémon for safety. The sudden imbalance left Sandy spiraling out of control for a precious second, her buzzing wings working against her in the moment. She had to utilize differential thrust to stabilize her flight. With how close she wound up to the ground, she needed to do something drastic to avoid a crash. Once she was level again, she start to vibrate her wings at full speed, Shalin's eyes seeing nothing but stars as she was in a daze.

Without her Sygna Suit on, that vibration hurt.

Stunned even after she got back into the air and within more normal flight parameters, the challenger was entirely reliant on her mount's maneuverability to evade the swaths of Bullet Seed fire. Little did she know that this would server her well when she went to Dewford...

vlWzm8VK

{PC: 8}

·