Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2023 21:33:42 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Burger Kingler was Arceus's gift to mankind, and to the healthcare sector of Hoenn.

After all, how many people had gone to Burger Kingler a thousand times, only to end up with heart trouble? Hoenn must've made so much money from that demographic of people, and Fernando's pockets had never been heavier. Allegedly. What Burger Kingler did have was a good kid's meal, and a toy that came with their Krabby Kid Meal.

When Howard Slayte, Rocket Admin, learned that the toy was a small Aerodactyl, his disdain for the chain collapsed.

Sure, as Rocket Admin he held control over many of Rocket's supply chains. Everything from illegal substances to materials to artifacts fell under his jurisdiction, so he could've probably said the word and gotten a full box of cheaply made plastic Aerodactyl toys, but where was the fun in that?

Besides, Howard was hungry.

"Why is this line so long?" Howard said as he tapped his foot. He had been inside the restaurant for twenty minutes, and he still wasn't at the front of the line. "Isn't fast food supposed to be fast? This line is moving slower than a tectonic plate!"

In his rush, Howard bumped into the man in front of him. They seemed vaguely familiar.

"Oops, sorry..." Howard smiled in apology, which quickly morphed as he saw who it was. "...?"

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2023 4:50:18 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","topimage"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Hey, don't sweat i-"[break][break]

"Wait. I know you." Isaac's amiable smile faded when he saw who had bumped into him. Clearly, this was it. Howard's carefully-crafted civilian persona was about to come crashing down, all because he had the misfortune of bumping into someone he'd encountered on the battlefield. And a former traitor, to boot, someone surely in the know. Was this truly the life of a Rocket? Fearing the moment you were plucked from the shadows?[break][break]

Or, perhaps, it was just a false alarm, because Isaac's smile was back and brighter than ever. "You were the guy with the pennies! Y'know, back on horrible zombie bear island." Oh, thank goodness. Howard's other moment of embarrassing himself took priority over anything potentially sus.[break][break]

"Man. That was wild." It was a weird reaction to nearly dying at the hands of the zombified legions of the Blue Man Group, but clearly Isaac was no stranger to being a weirdo. He had Suicune's attendance, after all. "Talk about a hell of a day. And, hey. Good to see you survived trying to smoke all that Mystica afterwards."[break][break]

Well, at least Howard wasn't going to get his ass kicked today. Probably.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] --color:#c4c067; [/newclass]
[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
The future will tempt you, the present will indulge you, but the past will shackle you.
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2023 5:53:28 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
Man. Howard had never been more thankful that he wore a mask and jumpsuit north of Dewford.

Admittedly, that didn't mean anything when Howard had willingly let himself be knocked out by Isaac in order to avoid a dressing down from his superiors. Isaac could've done a dozen things while Howard was unconscious: take off his mask, take a selfie, steal his wallet. As a matter of fact, Howard was missing four PD by the end of that battle. Maybe Isaac had taken it?

Either that, or had stolen it from him to buy ice cream or something. Or had stolen it and simply pocketed the cash.

Howard blinked. Shred would totally do that! That son of a bitch.

If Isaac had taken off his mask, then... Man, it was over. Super over. Forget the Aerodactyl toy and the kids meal. Howard would have to skip town, change his name, get a new identity. He'd have to-

As the ex-Rocket spoke, Howard silently sighed in relief. He was safe! He was just the coin guy! A victory for Howard Slayte, a defeat for Isaac Merlo! Howard felt like dancing in the middle of the Burger Kingler.

"Haha... Don't remind me about the pennies. Or the herbs. I don't think my reputation will ever recover." Howard deflated, before perking up again. This was a chance to start anew! "Howard Slayte. You were pretty cool while fighting the blue people. You were like... 'whipow! Shazam!' Super cool!"

Realizing that he was embarrassing himself, Howard scratched his cheek awkwardly.

"Why're you here at Burger Kingler? Here for the Aerodactyl toy?"

As the words left his mouth, Howard felt like throwing himself off a cliff. What sort of adult willingly said they were here for a limited-run kid's toy! Only a sad, dejected one. Howard's coolness stocks were crashing by the second.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 2, 2023 2:41:31 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"I dunno. Keep pulling stunts like that, and it stops being stupid. Then it just becomes your thing." That was the knowing smile of a man whose signature tricks involved hauling around a giant anchor while doing sick motorcycle tricks. " 'Sides, somebody's gotta keep things interesting. But, like, good-interesting. This region's got too much bad-interesting already."[break][break]

Seriously. Why couldn't Hoenn have all the cool legendaries, interstellar adventures, and feats of daring-do, without always bringing the threat of extinction into the picture? Now that the latest battle against Team Rocket had drawn to a close, Isaac just knew the Dark Triad would be lurking in the shadows with a steel chair to take their turn.[break][break]

Howard introduced himself, and Isaac returned it with a smile and a shake. "Isaac Merlo. Good to meet ya." Yes, even after the whipows and shazams. "Can't say I was on top form back there. But, Arceus. Who could be? That place made me skin crawl."[break][break]

"Ah well. Maybe you'll get a chance to see what I can really do another time."[break][break]

Uh oh. Was that a threat? Did he know something? Or was it just an innocent boast from a guy that had just gotten undeserving praise? Before his words could be unpacked, Howard's got his attention. "Wait. It's Aerodactyl? Shit, hold on." He flicked out his phone, punching out a quick message. "Ah, hell, hope the kid's not gonna be bummed . . ." he grumbled.[break][break]

After a second, he sighed in relief. With a smile, he put the phone away. "Well, I thought it was gonna be a hyper-bouncy Wooper," he admitted. "But, I guess I am now! Though even if I wasn't on a toy hunt, I can't ignore those chicken fries for too long."[break][break]

"How about you? Looking to add some wooshes to those whipows and shazams?" The craziest part was that, even with his teasing, there wasn't a shred of malice to Isaac's voice. If anything, he sounded genuinely curious.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

[newclass=".isaac2"] margin: 0px auto; background-color: #111; min-height: 500px; width: 450px; margin: 0px auto; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom:20px; } .isaac2 .textbox a, .isaac2 .textbox i { color:var(--color); } .isaac2 .textbox b { font:bold 13px/10px 'Poppins'; color:var(--color); } .topimage { background-image: url(https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1058305315642286080/1155427871351906335/image.png); height: 250px; width: 400px; background-size: cover; background-position:50% 20%; margin: 0px auto; } .isaac2 .textbox { line-height: 15px; letter-spacing: .5px; font-size: 12px; font-family: roboto; color: #d6d6d6; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align: justify; padding-bottom: 20px; background:#1E1E1E; padding:30px 50px; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; } .isaac2 .oocbox { border-top: 3px solid #333; padding-top: 10px; width: 260px; margin: 20px auto 0px; text-align:left; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2023 22:23:19 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
A threat? Did he know? Oh fuck wait did Isaac Merlo actually know who Howard was?

No, no. He was just spending too much time around smart people in Rocket, like Lulu, Head Scientists Rose and Sato, and Admin Bee. That was it! When he was talking to them, it was like Howard was dancing around a political intrigue novel. Yeah, that was it! Isaac didn't know anything! Howard's helmet during their battle had been super secure, and it hadn't been removed.

But what if that was what Isaac wanted him to think? The man had been in Rocket for a while. Wait, was it actually four PD missing from his wallet, or was it more? Shred knew that Howard was poor, and had no money on him. If that was the case, then-

While this was going on, Howard was smiling politely and chatting with his assailant. "Was anyone in top form? I spent most of the time cowering. That Toxic Chain, man. It really messed some people up."

Ah, but wait! What if Isaac was a triple agent, and this was simply a deception or loyalty check by one of the Rocket Beasts to ensure that Howard was loyal? Maybe was ensuring that Howard was solid. The archaeologist looked over Isaac's shoulder, as if expecting to see the Underboss sitting at a booth.

"Nah, the hyper-bouncy Wooper is at MilcreyDonalds, actually. You gotta get the Sandshrew SandChew Combo Meal." Howard nodded sagely to Isaac. Clearly Howard's vaguely useful and tangentially related knowledge store made him a whiz when it came to consuming over processed garbage.

"I might get some wooshes, I'm not sure. You're buying for a kid? The fries here are pretty good, but I'm not too sure about the kid meals."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 0:32:26 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"You could say Hoenn's top form is when they're messed up and backed into a corner."[break][break]

If the Hoenn region was capable of fixing itself, it was handling it like your average former child actor or aging hair metal band. It aggressively didn't want to, and would promptly double down out of spite. At times, it inspired and amazed Isaac. At other times, it made him wonder why he was even trying to help.[break][break]

"Way back on Mt. Pyre, when Meteno was about to come crashing down, the Dark Triad showed up to try and finish the job. Father Winter - yes, that one, so think twice what you ask for this Christmas - brought a Palkia that killed half the people there." There was no sarcastic edge or teasing mirth to his hushed voice. Capital-K, Killed, and it was the gospel truth. "They proceeded to get back up and damn near tear the guy in half. Took his Palkia and his life."[break][break]

Was that the kind of thing that should be classified? Fuck it. Civilians and Rocket already saw what happened, and the people of Hoenn deserved to know there was a god of space nursing a killer hangover for the past year or so. Especially when this guy had already seen the Megalopians, so he was more in the know than most.[break][break]

"So, yeah. We were at our worst back there, and that means we're at our best. Ain't that wacky?"[break][break]

It was just as wacky as the realization he'd gone to the wrong fast food joint for the wrong toy. "Well, I know where I'm heading next, then," he said, flashing Howard a grateful grin. "Thanks for the heads up, buddy."[break][break]

At the mention of whether he was buying for a kid, Isaac nodded. "Sister of mine," he admitted, not bothering to add "surrogate" to ' title anymore. Fuck it. Family was stronger than blood. "She pretty much eats whatever, long as there aren't too many vegetables on it. Bonus points if the nuggets come in shapes."[break][break]

"How about you? You some kind of family guy?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG — @howard [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 6:23:28 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"You're right, of course." Howard said drily. "Yet I suspect people will still vainly wish for something grand this Wintertide. History repeats itself, and we keep making blunders."

The line kept moving. Time kept moving. The past only grew, the future only shrank, the present remained the same. If Howard was surprised by Isaac's statement, he didn't seem to be. The League could cover up as much as they want, but citizens talked. Covering up the actions of a primordial god was more than they could do with the current taxpayer's budget.

"I hope that we will triumph." Howard said this with confidence. Humanity had won before, and they would win again. History was humanity's song of victory, and the future was the part not yet sung. "Hope is a dangerous thing."

Yet they would triumph.

It was simply unfortunate that this could have been avoided... somehow. Howard didn't know when or where, but there was some series of events that had ensured that Hoenn would've been safe from an infinite march of apocalypses. If humanity had archived better, chronicled better, knew more...

If Howard had known more...

Yet time couldn't be changed. Modifying history was a crime against the world.

"That's why I love people!" Howard said, suddenly beaming again. "Sometimes. My landlord is prick. I think she might be a member of the Dark Triad."

"My family? Family guy?" Howard allowed himself a wry smile as he pondered the question. His gaze went far away, and he even forgot about the missing four PD. He remembered a beach, far away, on an island that had sunk. A young girl and a man sat on that beach, talking.

Howard felt like a different man from when he had then. Eris had told him that he had a family, but sometimes that didn't feel true. It felt like another lie—another stain on history.

"It's complicated. I just really like Aerodactyls. The one I have? She's been my family for a very long time."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 4, 2023 15:13:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Hey, nothing wrong with wishes. Sometimes, they're all we've got to hold onto." Not that Isaac was much the wishing type. He'd rather fight for his future with his own two hands. However, for a lot of people, they were their first and finest hope. "Just, fuck that creep. He doesn't deserve them."[break][break]

With 's spice mix, some of Reiner's cat food, and gluten free flour, Isaac hoped Father Winter choked on those damn cookies.[break][break]

Speaking of hope. "You got that right," Isaac said, raising an invisible toast to Howard's assessment. "Most dangerous and incredible thing we've got. There's a reason the most dangerous men in history always go after it first. Funniest thing, too. No matter what they want us to think, they can never quite finish the job."[break][break]

Maybe Isaac was just always like this, whether he knew he was talking to a Rocket or not. Howard may have been couched in masl after mask, yet Isaac was almost brazenly open about who he was and what he was about. Then again, was it a surprise? At least half of Rocket had likely met after the battle for the resurfaced island to report he was an avatar. Subtle, Isaac was not.[break][break]

Isaac couldn't help but snicker at the mention of Howard's landlord. "Buddy, I wish it was that easy." Sadly, the people who did the most harm were rarely monsters in disguise. The biggest threat to people, by and large, was more people.[break][break]

At the mention of a family of Pokemon, Isaac let himself smile some. "Good man. If people were more like Pokemon, pretty sure this region'd be way better off." Everyone had at least one Pokemon that was Their Pokemon, their beloved one who stood by their side through thick and thin. Maybe the world needed that more than ever. "I've got a few like that. Only had most of 'em for a year, but, shit."[break][break]

"Feels like I've squeezed a lifetime into that year."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2023 19:45:02 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"I dunno about that. Garchomp do have a tendency to eat their young."

Suddenly, he turned green. Not a good idea to talk about cannibalism when in line at Burger Kingler. Was it even cannibalisms? Did it count if an evolved Pokémon ate an unevolved one? Were they even the same species? How far down did it go? If that were the case, then...

He stopped himself before he could vomit all over Isaac.

"Time is insignificant, anyway. A year, two, ten, thirty? They're all blips on the great canvas of history. It's a fart in the wind for a geological era, you know? You think the last Ice Age gave a figy about a year, when it lasted for hundreds of them? Thousands?"

"No." Howard shook his head. "No."

Events were moving too quickly now, anyway. Hoenn had undergone several disasters in a handful of years that only one in a hundred generations had to deal with. History was unraveling, even as Howard tried desperately to keep it together. Time was unwinding, even as Isaac tried to experience each moment.

It was all slipping away.

"So you decide the value of that one year you spent. If it's a lifetime or a hundred, that's up to you." Howard scratched his chin. "But you know what I can't abide? The one passage of time that you and I should never, ever forgive?"

Silence. Howard's voice was a raspy whisper as he leaned it.

"How long it's taking to get our food. It feels like it's been fuckin' hours."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2023 0:40:09 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Well, yeah. But nobody's perfect." Besides, how else could you describe the indoctrination at birth went through? "But, nah. You're right. There's no easy cheat sheet for living a good life. We just gotta figure it out ourselves, yeah?"[break][break]

As he spoke, Isaac coiled more soothing mist around his fingers. When he was done, they wafted towards Howard to help ease his nausea.[break][break]

To Howard, the past was this unstoppable monolith, the struggles of their lives but a blip on its radar. The world had existed for hundreds of thousands of years. Human prehistory was barely a cosmic blink. To Isaac, it was the future he feared. It picked up speed at levels never thought possible, collapsing in on itself as it hurtled inexorably towards the origin point.[break][break]

Yet to both of them, both this cosmic blink and this collapsing supernova stretched on forever. How was their food still not ready?[break][break]

"I know, right?" he said, noting the ever-increasing line behind them. "And here I thought it was fast food. But, ah well. Been forever since I've had a dang chicken fry, so its worth it." The span of time where those had been discontinued may well have been the darkest years of human history.[break][break]

"Ah well. While we're waiting; history nerd, huh?" Might as well squeeze out a bit more chatter while they could. Silence wouldn't make the time pass any faster. "It's funny. Back in school, I was awful at it. Couldn't remember a thing to save my life. Bet now that we're all living in it, you've got the last laugh."

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 19, 2023 23:13:19 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Fast food stopped being fast when our society decided that it needed to be luxurious."

The words were spoken with the confidence that could only be attained from watching the One PD Bargain Menu disappear over the course of several years of university in exchange for slightly better flavor. Hell, Howard wasn't even sure if the food tasted better, or if he was tricking himself into thinking it did, given he was spending an extra fistful of PD on it.

The war didn't help much, either. With the several disasters occurring in Hoenn, the war with Rocket, and certain goods being embargoed, stuff was more expensive. Forget the war with Rocket, the economy would kill Hoenn first.

"Sometimes. How does hitting the books help with a fucking meteor? Or a giant interdimensional dragon. Or an interdimensional police force. Buddy, we're living history. All I do is hope that our failures don't repeat."

And that our ancestors left us with a way to fight back. Howard thought silently. Luckily, that seemed to be the case. There were hints of something greater, left behind from a bygone era of heroes and monsters. Now that such an era was returning, it was time for ancient powers to rouse themselves from forgotten ruins and buried charnel pits.

"The biggest issue? All these Legendary Pokémon are coming back, and I still haven't gotten a reliable account of Ecruteak's tax code from the 1600s. It's not fair." Howard slumped his head. "I've been trying to get a proper evaluation of one for ages. Oh, but that's not particularly relevant in our current situation, is it? Hm..."

Howard snapped a finger.

"I study history to find weapons for better people to use. If they can use the knowledge I find to save the region, I'm happy."

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2023 2:02:51 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]Frankly, as someone who had spent most of his life scrabbling for nothing, Isaac didn't mind the luxuries he let himself indulge in. However, a solid chunk of that had come from a mix of crimes, d-list celebrity, and the excellent tip sharing at 's old bar. Now that he didn't have those safeguards, he'd need to establish himself and fast.[break][break]

"Eh. S'not the fancy life that's the issue, if you ask me." If he'd had half of the security he had after joining Rocket, would he have needed to join in the first place? "It's the fact that none of it gets kicked down. There shouldn't be people dying in the streets in a world that's got the Silphs in it."[break][break]

Even with his change in allegiance, that belief wasn't going anywhere. Maybe once the multiverse was safe he could fight that fight.[break][break]

After all, Howard was right. They were in the middle of history, and no amount of books could give them the cheat sheet on what to do. "Good news! We are. Good thing we've got all those new and exciting failures to take our minds off of it, eh?" They could say "we have bigger things to worry about" 'til the Miltank come home. Hell, it was true. But could they hide behind that fact forever?[break][break]

He shook his head, offering Howard a weary smile. "Man, we could die at any moment." Judging by the smile on his face, that was supposed to be reassuring somehow. "Whole world could end in a snap. That just means you gotta chase your joy where you can find it, right? So go ahead. Chase that tax code. Whatever gets you putting one foot in front of another."[break][break]

"Shit, maybe I'll ask Suicune for a tip. I bet they'll know."[break][break]

The tax code was just one part of what Howard was looking for, though. He wanted weapons to fend off the problems of the present, high and mighty and low and weary alike. "Big goals. Best of luck on making 'em." If it worked, Howard better get more than just happy meals in his future. "Me? I've always been more of a shield guy, myself. No use fighting for a region if you can't protect it, too, yeah?"

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2023 8:23:56 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"You can bash someone over the head with a shield, anyways." Howard pointed out. "And you can parry a blow with a sword. We can give someone a tool, but that doesn't make the person. The wielder makes the weapon, not the other way around."

"If you become the shield, be careful of who wields you."

Who wielded Isaac Merlo? Was it Suicune? Was it his ideals? His bond with and his shattered bonds from his colleagues from Rocket? What about his new ones, born from the League? Perhaps he was simply a piece, moved around on a board by a greater force. Did it truly matter if he was a tool or not, as long as he did was he set out to do?

Who wielded Howard Slayte?

Howard would never answer that question. It was too painful. Besides, he already knew the answer. His missing eye twitched. Blasted nerves. Howard resisted the urge to scratch at it.

"Would you really ask Suicune for me?" Howard's eye sparkled as intruded on Isaac's personal space. The archaeologist blinked once, realizing that he had no reason to know that Isaac Merlo had been chosen by Suicune. Sure, his Rocket persona did, but Howard Slayte? Clueless.

"Wait a minute..." Howard turned his head away in a huff. "You're yanking my chain! If you could ask Suicune, you would've asked it for help against the blue people! Yet you didn't! It's not nice to spread misinformation like that!"

Howard pointed a finger at Isaac's chest.

"Shame on you!"

It was a remarkably impressive acting job. Howard would've given himself a Gholdengo Globe in acting if he could've at this precise moment. It was hard being this talented. It was also hard for the people behind Isaac and Howard, given the two were now at the front of the line.

close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,330 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 28, 2023 14:51:25 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","isaac2"]

[attr="class","textbox"]"Nobody's wielding me but me." If there was a touch of pride to such a bold statement, it was quickly undercut by a note of bitterness. For a second, there was a weight to Isaac's features, underlines of a shadow long past. "I've done my time being someone else's tool. It's no way to live."[break][break]

It was no way to die, either, as he'd quickly found out.[break][break]

Howard asked about Suicune as if he'd been expecting to hear it. Then, with almost exaggerated fervor, he changed the topic to a question Isaac had wondered about himself. Why hadn't he intervened on that mysterious isle? Sure, Suicune themselves was a rather indirect mentor, coming and going as they pleased. But why hadn't Isaac done more?[break][break]

He thought of the way his blood turned to ice, and for the briefest moment he shivered.[break][break]

"Guy's hard to reach sometimes. Likes to see me puzzle stuff out myself," Isaac said. "Left me some gifts, but at the time I could barely figure 'em out. Hard enough to wrap your head around that stuff in the best of times, let alone Bad Vibes Island."[break][break]

Now? Now it was almost like second nature. That was something Isaac was all too happy to demonstrate as he put in his order. Who the hell got a soda without ice? The guy who, with just a hand wrapped around his cup, could leave it covered in a nice, frosty sheen. "All the cold, none of the watering down," Isaac said, grinning ear to ear.

[attr="class","oocbox"]
TAG [break]
NOTES — notes go here

close tab

played by

Magnetic

Admin Fox
He/Him
May 9th
Rustboro City
Bisexual
Archaeologist
Rocket Admin
awards
1,869 posts
part of
TAG WITH @magnetic
howard slayte
Number 15... [S]
POSTED ON Dec 29, 2023 9:37:58 GMT
howard slayte Avatar
"Woah!"

Jokes on Isaac, Howard didn't get ice in his drinks either. Doing so would mean spending the same amount of money on less drink. Any broke college student knew that ice was a scam. That included bars, as well. Nonetheless, Isaac's blatant display of power made Howard shiver. Ice. It reminded him of the golem that sat in the depths of the island.

The same island where he and Isaac had fought.

"Not too shabby. Cuts on your cooling bill." Howard's eye grew as wide as a coin as he peered at the cup. "Maybe you're serious..."

Oh, he was serious. 'Beat you and your coworker to the point of unconscious' serious. Howard had seen the man dance across the ocean on Suicune's back. He believed in Isaac's power. If Rocket knew he was hanging out with Isaac, his head would be on a spike.

"Fuck..." Howard shamelessly began counting out coins as he bought the elusive Aerodactyl toy order. Counting out 0.01 PD at a time was the same as social suicide in the eyes of the average food service representative. Yet Howard had been able to bear the shame of being in Rocket, so this was nothing in comparison.

"We're all tools to something. Pride. Faith. Love. Crystals." Howard said as he picked up his fast food bag. He inspected it for the Aerodactyl toy, and brightened as he saw it. Admittedly, it wasn't a Hyper Bouncy Wooper, but it was a pretty sweet toy. "Something else moves us, Suicune Boy. Sometimes it makes us. Becomes us. Consumes us."

Black crystals. Howard stopped as his eye widened. Blast. He didn't mean to ramble. Isaac's attitude was too relaxed. Don't think about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

"I ramble." Howard said quickly. "I'm a tool to my own mouth. It runs away, sometimes. Excuse me."

Howard attempted to squeeze past Isaac.

"I have somewhere to be."