Koi

Wren, Win
He/Him
Twenty-Six
Moved Often
Demi/Ace
Mechanic/Odd Jobs
Civilian
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
15 posts
WREN WINTER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @koi
WREN WINTER
The Rules of Customer Service [emerson]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2024 16:10:43 GMT
WREN WINTER Avatar

Rule number one for self employment (if you wanted to have money for food): the customer was always right.

Rule number two: Yes, even THOSE customers. The ones with their heads so far up their own asses that they didn’t know the difference between a flat and starhead screwdriver.

Rule number three: You like food. You need money for food. No bash the customer in the face with a wrench. No matter how tempted.

Rule number four: Take a deep breath and repeat the above rules, relax that grip on the wrench!!

“As I explained,” Wren said, with the strained politeness of customer service, “there is no way to verify that the hardware has been fixed until the software has been reinstalled.”

All of this rich man’s high tech, multi-part, routers had been busted - one infested on the inside with loads of joltik that left static hairs everywhere, another filled with a weird purple goop that suggested berry juice had been spilled on it, ect. Every one seemed to have a different problem. And every one needed to be reestablished to the system to test the repairs - but did Wren look like the IT guy they were waiting for?

“But can’t YOU just fix it while we wait?” The middle age man whined, rubbing his mustache. He narrowed his eyes. “Is it because I’m paying you by the hour? I’m pausing the clock while we wait.”

Wren closed his eyes and repeated the rules in his head. When the other man turned away with a huff to look impatiently at the front door, Wren couldn’t resist raising his wrench and miming that he was going to bash the client’s head in. Just a little. As a treat.

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
i can’t take this place, no i can’t take this place. i just wanna go where i can get some space.
awards
233 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
POSTED ON Jan 19, 2024 20:03:55 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","mango emerson"]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]
Sometimes remote troubleshooting just wouldn't do the trick. It would've been nice in this case, considering he'd had to book it from Slateport to get to this gig at a reasonable time - the man's impatient voice ringing in his ears.[break][break]

"I can't do it, you're going to have to come look at it. This guy here doesn't know what he's doing." As if hearing something like that would endear Emerson to his plight, and not to the poor mechanic stuck with his hands tied and suffering the man's company.[break][break]

Burrito clamped between his teeth, the redhead pulled the wheel of his IT van hard, peeling into the office lot so that he could scarf down the rest of his lunch before he headed inside.[break][break]

And what a sight he met.[break][break]

Em gawked at the sight of the raised wrench, sucking in his lips to avoid a hoot of sound slipping loose. It would appear he'd arrived at the right moment. "Uh, I'm here about the system reset?" Eyes moving from the older man to the other - who undoubtedly knew more about the problem.[break][break]
Hopefully Em didn't have stray bits of cilantro rice on his shirt.

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".emerson"] --accent:#f06565!important [/newclass]

[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #f06565 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

Koi

Wren, Win
He/Him
Twenty-Six
Moved Often
Demi/Ace
Mechanic/Odd Jobs
Civilian
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
15 posts
WREN WINTER DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @koi
WREN WINTER
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 15:37:26 GMT
WREN WINTER Avatar

Ugh, a witness. There was also probably a rule for customer service about that, something that went like: don’t murder a horrible client (even if they totally deserve it) if anyone is around to see you do it.

Wren shifted from his pose of holding the wrench in the air behind the man’s head, turning the motion into a toottally believable arms wide stretch. Yawwn, yup, no murder happening here, nothing suspicious, just stretching.

“Another fucking kid?” The client grumbled, eying Emerson. “Whatever, as long as you know what you’re doing unlike this idiot.”

Wren’s eye twitched. He was about to yawn himself into a fucking felony. After a deep sigh, he went around the client to the newly arrived software man.

“Welcome.” He said. ‘To hell’ was implied with his long suffering expression. “This man’s estate programs are run by multiple routers - I’ve fixed most of the routers so far, but I can’t verify they are working again until the program is reset. To be honest, I’ve never even heard of the program itself, and the client doesn’t have any of the initial installation details.”

Wren patted the other man’s shoulder, absentmindedly brushing off a tiny bit of cilantro without much thought aside from a shared sympathy.

close tab

played by

lou

em, @lockedown
he/him
twenty-four
july 12th
medali, paldea
bi, babey
it guy / hacker
silph co. civvie
i can’t take this place, no i can’t take this place. i just wanna go where i can get some space.
awards
233 posts
part of
TAG WITH @em
emerson whitlock
POSTED ON Mar 3, 2024 22:56:26 GMT
emerson whitlock Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","mango emerson"]
[attr="class","inner"]
[attr="class","body"]

Honestly, Em wouldn’t have faulted the poor guy if he’d resorted to the baser act of violence. And really, he wouldn’t even snitch! He’d carry that secret to the grave– and probably never set foot in society ever again. But the point was, Emerson could empathize. Two seconds in and he could already tell this client was a piece of work.[break][break]
And well, the worker bees had to stick together, right?[break][break]
Em’s wide eyes darted to the man when he caught the muttered complaint about his age. Of course he was gonna doubt all of Em’s skills now. He resisted the urge to blatantly roll his eyes. “I’m sure between the two of us, we’ll get your systems up and running, lickety split!”[break][break]
Hopefully.[break][break]
His attention swiveled to the other guy. His mouth stretched into a tight smile–silently, to say he understood. But as he explained, Em found himself wincing. “None at all?” He glanced back over his shoulder at the man. “I would recommend keeping backups going forward.”[break][break]
He fished in his pocket for a pokeball. “Oh! But it’s okay. It’ll be a little tricky, but Glitch should be able to help recover some of the original installation programming.” The released porygon-z floated alongside the redhead, waiting for instruction. Em looked back at Wren. “I’m, Emerson, by the way. Which one’s the main server?”

[attr="class","milkycredit"] [attr="class","fas fa-cookie-bite"]

[attr="class","bottom"]

[newclass=".emerson"] --accent:#f06565!important [/newclass]

[newclass=".mango"] --accent: #f06565 } .mango b { color: var(--accent); font: bold 12px/12px 'Poppins'; } .mango { width: 400px; margin: 0px auto; position:relative; } .mango .inner { background-color: #272727; border-radius:4px 4px 0px 0px; font-family: roboto; color: #eee; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align: justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; padding: 30px; background: #272727; } .mango .body { border-radius: 5px; padding: 40px; border: 1px solid var(--accent); background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom { background: var(--accent); min-height:25px; width:400px; margin:0px auto; text-align:center; background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom right; } .mango .bottom img { margin-top:-10px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".mango .milkycredit"]font-size:15px; position:absolute; z-index:99; right: 12px; bottom: 88px; border-radius:100px; color:#ddd; opacity:0.6; } .mango .milkycredit a { transition:0.5s all } .mango .milkycredit a:hover { transition:0.5s all; color:var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights