Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
oceans of angels, oceans of stars, down by the sea is where you drown your scars
awards
990 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2024 3:40:50 GMT
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","petalbasetsu4"]
[attr="class","star1tsu4"]
[attr="class","circleoutline1tsu4"]

[attr="class","starimgtsu4"]

[attr="class","star2tsu4"]Junior detective no more, the woman was at least a junior deputy. The ongoings of this town were as much her responsibility as they were 's, and with his new appointment to Gym Leader, the man's free time was severely lacking to solve any non-urgent issue on the island. [break][break]

That left this little slice of paradise in Tsubaki's hands on weekends, when she wasn't cooped up on Ever Grande with all the people with sticks a mile long up their ass. First order of business on the agenda was... [break][break]

"... Miss Mitsuru, was it?"[break][break]

Baki reads it off a slip of paper, looking up at her first guest.[break][break]

"That's Johtonian, right?"[break][break]

The name's a little more old-fashioned than her given name, but not quite on the level of her surname. Squarely in the middle, a proper Johtonian name. It's odd, how people from all over tend to flock here, but with the chill of the winter taking the humidity out of the air, Dewford was positively pleasant this time of year. Who could blame anyone?[break][break]

"Glad you could make it. [break][break]

"Our sheriff ain't a big fan of the paranormal. Says it's bunk. Clues, evidence. Science. Those are the only things that lead people to the proper conclusion. Superstition muddles everything. Can you believe that? [break][break]

"But he isn't here. What he doesn't know won't hurt him, right?"
[break][break]

Baki folds her hands on the sheriff's desk and gives the woman a large, fake smile. Waiting expectantly, for the protests to the contrary.

[attr="class","star3tsu4"]
[attr="class","petalpoketsu4"]
[attr="class","rouxcredittsu4"]

[newclass=.petalbasetsu4]font:11px roboto;--accent:#d5bed2;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalbasetsu4]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1tsu4]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/ZtFj789.png), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu4]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu4 img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu4]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoketsu4]text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; [/newclass]
[newclass=.petalpoketsu4 img]margin-top:0px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1tsu4]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu4 b]font-weight: bold; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu4 i]text-decoration:italic; color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.star3tsu4] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/ZtFj789.png), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredittsu4]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
53 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Feb 25, 2024 15:06:38 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
"Um, yes, that's me! Mitsuru Kagami of Lady Crane's Mystic Services. It's very nice to meet you!"

She had to admit, when she received an e-mail from Dewford asking for her to consult, this wasn't exactly what she'd envisioned. She thought she'd be meeting with right now, but instead, she's talking to... Erm... Well, that's kind of the problem, to be honest: She's not really sure who's in front of her right now.

"Yes, it is Johtonian. I was originally from Ecruteak, but I moved to Slateport recently."

Is she just a police officer working under the "sheriff"? Maybe, but if that's the case, shouldn't she be in uniform? And if that's the case, then she couldn't be a secretary either, right? She'd almost think this was an elaborate prank, if they weren't sitting in this official-looking office in the Dewford Gym right now. Then, is she a gym trainer? Or maybe some kind of intern?

"Oh, well... He's free to believe whatever he wishes, but I assure you, my methods are tried and true! They might not be scientific, exactly, but they'll still get the jobe done, Miss..."

Mitsuru paused for a moment, before shuffling awkwardly in her seat.

"...Sorry, I, uh, didn't catch you name?"

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
oceans of angels, oceans of stars, down by the sea is where you drown your scars
awards
990 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Feb 27, 2024 4:40:18 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu4"]"Hyakkaryōran. Officer Hyakkaryōran."[break][break]

She says it with a wide smile. [break][break]

She's cruel. In the depths of her heart, of all the things she did as a rocket recruit way back when, bullying some old maid like this has gotta be up there. And she's done some fucked up shit. But this... this might just take the cake. [break][break]

All the same, she doesn't bother to give this Miss Mitsuru any more explanation than that. No first name. No nickname. Let's just keep it professional, shall we? [break][break]

"Called you 'bout an issue on the sea. A missing persons case. And when I say persons... I mean that. Plural. A whole ship's gone missing, and nobody can locate a wreck. Not even signs of a wreck."[break][break]

She slides a small file across the deck and opens it up. Inside are several pictures of the passengers, and the boat in question. A sizeable fishing vessel, a crew of fifteen. She lets the woman look it over if she likes.[break][break]

"All traditional means of locating the ship have failed. But our government, and our police, overlooked one. [break][break]

"And that's your specialty, isn't it?"
[break][break]

[newclass=.petalbasetsu4]max-width: 450px; height: auto;border: 1px solid #1a1a1a; border-radius: 10px; overflow: hidden; background: #252525;
[/newclass]
[newclass=.star1tsu4]border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 220px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/ZtFj789.png), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; justify-content: center; align-items: center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu4]width: 100px; height: 100px; position: relative; border-radius: 100%; object-fit: cover;[/newclass]
[newclass=.starimgtsu4 img]height:100px;width:100px;border-radius:100%;[/newclass]
[newclass=.star2tsu4]width: 350px; padding: 20px; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify; color: #eee; margin: 20px 0px 20px 0px; border-radius: 5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.circleoutline1tsu4]border-radius: 100%; width: 120px; height: 120px; background: var(--accent); opacity: 0.3; position: absolute; [/newclass]
[newclass=.star3tsu4] border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0; max-width: 460px; height: 50px; background: url(https://i.imgur.com/ZtFj789.png), rgb(160, 132, 155, 0.65); background-blend-mode: luminosity; background-attachment: fixed; background-size: contain; display: flex; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rouxcredittsu4]align:right; color:#AB4646; font-size:10px; text-align:right; padding:10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
53 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2024 1:47:19 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
Officer Hyakkaryōran? That was surprising. It was so surprising that Mitsuru even blinked upon hearing it. She's really a policewoman? Really really? Huh. Not that it didn't make sense, mind! It certainly answered all of her lingering questions. Still, wasn't she a little young to be working in such a dangerous profession?

No, no, that wasn't fair. She shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Miss Hyakkaryōran was probably a very good and very competent police officer! If she wasn't, she wouldn't be trusted with such an important case. The same case she was trusting to Mitsuru. The fate of those fifteen missing people all depended on the two of them...

A single bead of sweat trickled down the occultist's forehead.

"A-Ah... Well, uh... I... I..."

If she'd understood just how severe this case was beforehand, then she never would've answered that e-mail. Collaboration between law enforcement and practitioners of the supernatural was frowned upon at the best of times, and this was far, far, FAR from the best of times. If they screwed this up? Forget her career, her life would be over. Everyone from Rustboro to Evergrande would know her as the fraud who not only swindled the Dewford government, but who made a mockery of those poor, poor people who disappeared. How could she ever show her face in public after that? How could she live with herself after that?

But... If they were really out of leads, and she was really their last chance, then how could she live with herself if didn't at least try?

"...I'll do it. I'll help you find your missing ship, Officer. And I won't rest until I know those people are safe! I promise!"

close tab

played by

Nagato

Baki
She/Her
December 21
Saffron City
Bi
administrative assistant
Officer
dead flowers
pressed against my lips
156 cm // 5'1" height
156 cm // 5'1" height
awards
990 posts
part of
TAG WITH @2baki
Hyakkaryōran Tsubaki
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2024 2:13:25 GMT
[nospaces]

[attr="class","star2tsu4"]The way the woman stutters makes her almost second-guess herself. It's that pathetic. [break][break]

Was she really the cruelest person alive? [break][break]

Having the gall to ask herself that now, after what she'd done back in Kanto... she really was without a heart. [break][break]

Still, even without that heart, that hallmark of being human, this woman was able to inspire the one thing Tsubaki rarely if ever felt for another human being: pity. Surely even the harshest, cruelest person in the world would be cowed to admit they were sorry by this display. This woman nearly welling to tears within seconds, and all for what?[break][break]

Asking her to pronounce her nearly unpronounceable last name?[break][break]

"Uuuh... well, if you can't pronounce it..."[break][break]

Wait, Tsubaki! Hold![break][break]

Wasn't this woman a medium? A total scam artist? And isn't it common in such professions to engender sympathy, to elicit involuntary reactions meant to read another person and feed them exactly what they want to hear? If that's so... then this woman was truly a master of her craft. A crybaby worth her weight in gold - and damn, with that chest she must be heavy. [break][break]

She'd had her crack in almost no time flat, sussing out her guilt, nearly making her admit she felt bad asking her to pronounce that name. And if you were to admit that, Tsubaki, then what else would she have you admit? What else would she have you say, all in the name of comforting this poor old maid? [break][break]

No. No, Tsubaki. Stay strong! Commit to the path you've chosen! Don't let her get one up on you! [break][break]

This is a battle of wills![break][break]

"Repeat after me. [break][break]

"Hyakkaryōran.[break][break]

"No, that ain't right. Try again. 'Hyakkaryōran.'[break][break]

"No, no, you're missing the gap between the k's. The sokuon. Try again.[break][break]

"Hee-ya-k-ka-ryou-ran."
[break][break]

She says it slowly, finally. A show a weakness, perhaps, but not giving in on the premise that she MUST call her by her last name. After all, however hard it is to say Hyakkaryōran, admitting defeat by going by your first name is how scam artists like this get their foot in the door! [break][break]

Stay strong, Tsubaki!![break][break]

[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Raptor

Tsuru
She/Her
April 8
Ecruteak City
Straight(?)
"Occultist"
Civillian
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
53 posts
part of
TAG WITH @tsuru
Mitsuru Kagami
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY [M]
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2024 4:35:51 GMT
Mitsuru Kagami Avatar
It seemed like a strange thing to get hung up on, to be honest. Were the police really so insistent on using their last names? But, well... Mitsuru was hardly going to kick up a fuss about it. So, instead, she simply bowed her head in apology for any perceived impoliteness.

"Oh. Um, sorry, Miss Hyakkaryōran."

Hyakkaryōran. It was Hyakkaryōran, right? She was hardly an expert in pronunciation or anything, but she knew a few Hyakkaryōrans back in Johto, and none of them ever corrected her. And yet, the girl in front of her seemed insistent that she was somehow getting it wrong. Stifling a nervous laugh, she once again bowed her head, and once again apologised.

"Sorry! Sorry, it's Hyakkaryōran, right? I just--"

Nope. Wrong again, apparently.

"Uh... Hyakkaryōran?"

Wrong again again.

"H-Hyakkaryōran?"

Wrong again again again.

"Hee-ya-k-ka-ryou-ran??"

Wrong again again again again.

"...Officer Hee-ya-k-ka-ryou-ran???"

Wrong, wrong, wrong again. This was mortifying. If her face went any redder, then she'd look more like a Magikarp than a human. But as the cycle of "Hyakkaryōran" and "Try Again" repeated once more, she decided for a change in tactics.

"Okay, Officer Ryō!" The mystic stood up and clapped her hands together, all too eager to move on past these embarrassing minutes of her life. "Let's get to work! Where was the last sighting of the missing ship?"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights