6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 22, 2019 17:39:08 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"...and mateo says you have to get a blue shell, get in first place, and then use the blue shell."

kyle reads the text message out loud while bryony plays on the console he brought to the dorm.

a computer monitor instead of an actual television acts as the output device since it was smaller and easier to bring with him to the canary hall. a stack of games lay beside it, most of them games that bryony isn't actually willing to play. kyle just got lucky that mario kart is the most casual competitive game he has.

"so, how are you doing with... are you at 100 cc or something?"

she was going at a slower pace than what kyle is actually used to.

@bryony
close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2019 0:40:14 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","league test2"]
[attr="class","test2-wrapper"]

Bryony is, to nobody's surprise, very good at any sort of game that involves trying to win against anything else, whether it be the computer itself or another human being. The controller is awkward in her hands but she's trying for Kyle's sake. It's not so much that it's not fun as it is Bryony has no idea what she's doing.

[break][break]

"Um. Okay?" she says, eyes glued to the screen as she slowly turns a corner to avoid hitting it. Another car hits her instead and Bryony mumbles that's not very nice under her breath.

[break][break]

"100 cc? Um, what is that again?" she murmurs. In an act of boldness, she dares begin to speed her little car up. Go Toad, go.

[attr="class","test2-tagged"]

[attr="class","test2-lyrics"]
Deer die with their eyes wide open eyes wide open eyes wide open

[newclass=.test2] width: 350px; margin: 0 auto; background: #2e2e2e; background-image:url(https://i.postimg.cc/ZqPNs5HT/stardust.png); padding:30px; border: 1px solid #1b1b1b; padding-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-wrapper] background: #343434; padding: 30px; font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; color: #aaa; text-align: justify; border: 1px solid #222; padding-bottom: 10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-lyrics] background: rgba(34,34,34,.8); margin: 0px -30px; margin-top: -1px; padding: 15px; border-top: 1px solid #1b1b1b; text-align: center; font-size: 7px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1.5px; color: #777; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-tagged] text-align: right; margin-right: -10px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a] color: #aaa; text-decoration: none; font-size: 8px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: 5px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a:before] content:"("; color: #999; margin-right: 3px; font-size: 9px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a:after] content:")"; color: #999; margin-left: 3px; font-size: 9px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-lyrics b] color: var(--color); opacity: .8; [/newclass] [newclass=.league] --color: #dea02c; [/newclass] [newclass=.rocket] --color: #716075; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 23, 2019 18:03:38 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"its..."

he starts to word the following explanation on his head. upon realizing that it would take too much effort for him to properly describe it as opposed to just letting it go, he gives up the following second.

"it's just a game setting. nothing important."

his face brightens up considerably when bryony begins to pick up the speed. toad is a light character and is prone to being pushed aside. letting her go to the fastest speed on a course like rainbow road where people are often pushed away to the edge of the track was something he can appreciate for a beginner.

"oh hey, you're not falling off!"

@bryony
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2019 0:23:17 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

The very second Kyle says it, Bryony watches her car hit the edge of the road and take a dive into an unknown abyss. She stares, brows knitting. Pink washes over her cheeks, lips pressed thin together as her hands tighten against the controller. Bryony draws a deep breath in, as subtle as she can, and forces herself to relax.

[break][break]

When Kyle finally lets her play on an easy track, Bryony manages to avoid last place for the first time since they've started playing.

[break][break]

"What does this star do?"

[newclass=.test2] width: 350px; margin: 0 auto; background: #2e2e2e; background-image:url(https://i.postimg.cc/ZqPNs5HT/stardust.png); padding:30px; border: 1px solid #1b1b1b; padding-bottom: 0; padding-bottom: 0; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-wrapper] background: #343434; padding: 30px; font-size: 11px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; color: #aaa; text-align: justify; border: 1px solid #222; padding-bottom: 10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-lyrics] background: rgba(34,34,34,.8); margin: 0px -30px; margin-top: -1px; padding: 15px; border-top: 1px solid #1b1b1b; text-align: center; font-size: 7px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1.5px; color: #777; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-tagged] text-align: right; margin-right: -10px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a] color: #aaa; text-decoration: none; font-size: 8px; font-weight: bold; margin-left: 5px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a:before] content:"("; color: #999; margin-right: 3px; font-size: 9px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2 a:after] content:")"; color: #999; margin-left: 3px; font-size: 9px; [/newclass] [newclass=.test2-lyrics b] color: var(--color); opacity: .8; [/newclass] [newclass=.league] --color: #dea02c; [/newclass] [newclass=.rocket] --color: #716075; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 24, 2019 14:16:40 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
watching her play on rainbow road was just for entertainment's sake. it was now time for the real training montage by actually having bryony try each stage on a reasonable difficulty curve until she gets the hang of it.

"you use it and then you get a few seconds of invincibility. if you hit other people while it's active, they fly away from the screen."

he'd rather have red shells than stars to be honest even if stars was the rarer item of the two. he uses it to cross the other terrains without slowing his speed down more than the intended effect though.

she'll still probably place last on the next dragon clan game night unless she continues to practice throughout the entire aqua festival thing.

he leans down the screen, a finger pointed onto the edge of the screen. "you see that small huge curve right there? ignore it and use the star to go through the sandy parts. you'll save a few seconds cutting through there."

he hasn't done that for so long though since he always placed near the top and does not get the better items.

@bryony
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 25, 2019 2:47:57 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Bryony hits the wall, backs her car up, and manages to go through the sand field after using the star. "Is it really faster?" she mumbles, more to herself than Kyle as she breaks out onto the track, ahead of only one other racer. She has gotten better at avoiding falling off things or missing jumps, at least.
[break][break]
"Isn't it kind of bothersome to have to teach me how to play?" she asks, a cheerful note to her words. Bryony keeps her eyes on the screen.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 25, 2019 10:38:55 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"it's kinda like trigonometry where you go through the hypotenuse instead of going through the other two sides. the star makes it so you don't get slowed down by the sand."

talking about it made him miss high school, if only a bit. he is then reminded about the tests and other activities that force him to interact with other people, and then he erases the thought from his head.

"oh. you'd rather learn the game yourself? that's perfectly fine."

kyle preferred it that way on his games, especially whenever he goes on his first playthrough. it adds to the experience and the charm of the game, and he wouldn't want to rob bryony that same experience.

@bryony
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2019 11:20:44 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Bryony's face lights up at this use of math in his explanation. It makes enough sense that she nods.

"Um - well - I don't want to be a pain," she explains, watching as she finishes in sixth place. "I'm sure you have better things to do, right?"

She rests the controller in her lap and toys with the joystick.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,416 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2019 18:16:35 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
i've nothing much better to do, to be honest.

that would have been the answer he would give, but he wasn't sure if this was just bryony's subtle way of telling him she isn't enjoying this. mateo's words of him being too much for her starts to linger in his thoughts.

he should really find a better hobby than forcing bryony on things he enjoys doing.

"oh, right. i guess i'll take a nap."

he walks to his bed, falls, and then positions himself comfortably, his back facing against where bryony is situated. he closes his eyes, inviting slumber to him. the sounds of the waves from the nearby shore and the smell of salt helps him get drowsy.

@bryony

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
mario kart [c]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2019 23:53:07 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"What?"

Bryony turns to watch Kyle, eyes wide. The bed shifts under his weight and she edges slightly away. Her eyes stay fixated on him, waiting for him to move, get up, do something. He doesn't.

Frozen in place, Bryony turns back to the screen and stares at it. If she plays, will it wake him? If she moves, will it wake him? If she breathes, will it wake him?

When she's certain Kyle is asleep and isn't going to wake up, she shifts. Bryony swallows and slips off the bed. She searches for something, finds it, and then drapes the thin blanket over Kyle's form. She slides to the floor and draws her knees up and waits in fear that leaving will just be another thing to startle him.

In the end, she falls asleep, too.