1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
Heart's Target [mission/open]
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2020 14:16:29 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

Selena Desmarais
Selena thought the role-playing was too much, in a good way though, but she was glad at least no one tried to replicate the burning-at-the-stake incidents in Kalos and Galar for today's fair.

Overhearing a group of trainers who just left from Fortree, the Kalosian was intrigued by how Hoennians depicted foreign cultures, especially the one she connects very well to. She could say that, despite her refusal to wear ball gowns to represent a typical Kalosian aristocrat, that she's really proud of where she came from (and also she's not aware she needed such dress for an event she did not even anticipate). Kalos is such a beautiful region whose heritage and treasures were nurtured by generations upon generations.

Circe the Fennekin

Selena sent out Circe so the fennekin could also enjoy the scenery that welcomed them as she strolled through the grove city. It has been a long time since they left for Kanto, leaving behind her sisters and her parents in her home country. As much as they disapprove of her career choice, Selena did not for a second doubt her love for them.

Jumping out of her ball, Circe started running around from one attraction to another, as if excited to once again feel like home. Selena followed the vixen into a large tent that led her upstairs into a treehouse.

Turns out, the place was an archery station where you could get nice vistas of the city. Targets were set around the periphery and there were bows resting on the counter. There were a lot of locals hanging by the treehouse, but most of the visitors were tourists trying out Fortree archery and couples sitting by the tables outside the main building.

Selena did not enjoy a lot of Kalosian's customs dwelling on violence, but archery is an exception. Among all the other things she was trained to do as a child, archery was the one she would consider extreme and yet satisfactory for her taste. Selena almost won a regional competition back in the day if only she did not get sick during the semi-finals, forfeiting her slot.

Now, she have the moment to relive her fondest memories as a toddler.

The pink hair maiden approached the man on the counter and paid the necessary amount to try out for archery. She walked towards the other side where the bows and arrows were resting and tried to reach for one, but she unexpectedly bumped with someone who was seemingly interested with the ancient art of archery as well.

"Oh, take this." Selena chuckled. "It's fine, I'll just get another one. I'm sorry. My name's Selena. And you are?"

@open

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2020 17:52:13 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

■ Here we gooo!

in the world

It had been a while since Jason had last been in Fortree. Nocta, Cerberus and the little Imp of an Eevee had not been there before and Nocta had constantly pestered him about seeing his home town. If it really was his hometown. He had grew up in Fortree but where were his parents from he did not know. Nobody knew. However, they had arrived just in time for the ren fair and his pokemon had all been ecstatic about it.[break][break]

And so had been the organizers of the fair. Jason was a known swordsman in Fortree but it had been a while since he had come back, so his return had been considered a boon for the organizers and they hired him as the swordmaster of the fair. He didn't refuse them. It was a chance for him to make some cash and have a good time while at it. He had been dressed in a crisp leather vest, loose shirt, pants and boots all in matching black to fit with the Dark Type of his pokemon. The organizers had even agreed that his Absol could participate for a demonstration of how one could have a sword fight with a pokemon without stirring uneasiness to the general public by having the "Disaster Pokemon" make an appearance in the city.[break][break]

So Jason had spend the better portion of his day teaching kids how to sword fight and taking on 'challengers' from the older audience, all the while having his real sword resting at its sheath. He would only use that for when demonstration time came. He couldn't really duel with the dummy swords. Hades' scythe would have cut those and Jason's shoulders to pieces in one strike. [break][break]

In the meantime, the youngest of his pokemons had been off, exploring the festival, eating food and getting into good natured trouble. Eventually, it was time for Jason's break and he had been challenged by Nocta to try his hand at archery. Her reasoning was that he had chosen swords over bows because his aim was hopelessly off. He had defended himself by saying that he had just never had the time or money to get into it, but the Zorua was not listening at all and so he had groaned and made his way to the archery tent, thoughts of snack time forced aside.[break][break]

One of the perks of being part of the fair was the fact you could do everything for free during your non-performing time. So it had not been hard to get to the bows much faster than most people did. But it seemed that there was someone there after the same thing he was. A pink haired woman, who chuckled at the whole ordeal as Jason apologized for bumping onto her. "I'm Jason. Nice to meet you."[break][break]

"See? I told you, you are a hopeless klutz around bows. You haven't even touched one yet and you are bumping onto people." A mischievous, young female voice echoed between the two and Jason groaned rolling his eyes. "I am not a klutz Nocta, I just never tried it before!" Jason protested as the Zorua jumped off from the hood of his cloak and laughed in his face."Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night Jay."

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
THIS REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE A DINNER PARTY
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2020 20:04:24 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar

Selena took a moment and appreciated Jason's dark and gloomy features, his chiseled face, and his lean built embraced by the blackness of his costume, or so to say, a nobility ensemble that reminded her of home. She actually find it amusing as he tried to put on a conversation with his zorua who deliberately ignores his antics. There's only one thing off about him that Selena was trying to figure out.

He's not an archer.

The Kalosian had seen dozens of athletes herself and teachers of the ancient art of bow and arrow. She knew how to distinguish a muscle that was hardened by years of training archery. The built intended for archers required precision and steadiness she would not quite notice from his arms—if she would bet a dollar or two, she would say the man was actually a lancer or a swordsman—something to do with weapons heavier than bows.

Out of curiosity, Selena butted in on Jason's longstanding parley with his pokémon.

"Are you an archer?" She propped herself to reach for another pair as she eyed Jason. "I have a wild guess that this would be actually your first time holding archery equipment. Am I right?"

@day

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2020 21:44:41 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

■ To be or not to be (a klutz)?

in the world

Selena's question caught Nocta's attention and the female Zorua seemed to get really peppy all of a sudden. "Geez genious, what gave it away?" She commented, her voice clearly heard by Selena and Jason. "Nocta that's enough out of you. Being rude to me is one thing, being rude to a stranger is another." He said sternly and while the Zorua seemed to have more things to say, a brief glare from Jason caused her to just huff and start grooming herself, seemingly uninterested in this whole exchange.[break][break]

"Sorry about that. She tends to react like that sometimes. I don't know why." Jason apologized to Selena and fumbled with his bow, trying to find a comfortable grip by feel. "You are right, this is the first time trying. I never had the chance to do archery before. Swords were easier to make as a kid rather than bows. That's what I practise most. I came here after Nocta's dare. My original plan was to grab lunch before it was time to get back to demonstrations." He admitted with a wishful sigh as he thought of all the food waiting for him back on the ground.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 7, 2020 13:18:11 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
The attitude of the zorua was quite perplexing for Selena’s taste, and yet she still thought it was interesting to have such kind of bonding with one's partner pokémon.

“It’s fine.” Reassuring Jason. “If I’d be totally honest, my umbreon was as sassy and tactless as she is. We'll get used to it.”

Well, it’s true. Selena and Lucifer had gone a long way to figure things out and to work as partners. Although she believed it would be extremely difficult on her part if the moonlight pokémon learned how to speak human.

On the other hand, Circe the fennekin is as gentle and as meek as ever. Groomed and nurtured under the care of the Desmarais household, the vixen was one of those pedigree fennekins raised by Selena's family. It is customary for them to own one that would serve as their guide through adulthood. In fact, every one of the Desmarais sisters have their own fennekins.

Why wouldn't they, if it was their family's emblem? A face of a fennekin whirled with comfey flowers and crisscrossed arrows protruding below.

It figures, she would say, that her father wanted her to learn archery rather than swordplay. It was in their blood, afterall. A noble tradition, she would her from her father. But Selena wondered what it would be if she took swordsmanship lessons instead of archery. She wondered what would might happen if she rebelled earlier than when she started refusing her parent's "wishes".

“Tell you what: let me teach you a thing or two about archery and...”

Selena grabbed the bow and launched an arrow from inside the building, hitting a target about 20 feet from where she was standing, upsetting both the man from the counter and the guy she almost hit but knew she wouldn't. She just felt the need to impress Jason. Not that she thought he was not interested or something.

“Maybe you can teach me swordsplay. Then lunch?”

@day

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 8, 2020 15:53:38 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

■ Show off XD

in the world

As the arrow's dull thud made Nocta's ears twitch, the Zorua placed the now groomed paw down and looked at the pink haired woman with an unreadable expression. If it was attention Selena wanted, she had gotten in from not just Jason,currently gaping at the arrow, and the poor soul she had almost hit, but from some bystanders as well. "Hey! Just what do you think you're doing? You're not allowed to shoot if you're not on a platform!" The man behind the counter called out in alarm. Clearing his throat to get a grip from the shock of what he had just witnessed, Jason assured the man on the counter that everything was fine and turned to guide Selena to one of the shooting platforms away from the disgruntled audience.[break][break]

"I wouldn't mind that idea, but maybe it would be best to not have any people within shooting range alright?" He said as he settled himself in a platform big enough for the two of them and with plenty of targets within sight. "Besides, teaching people swordplay is what I am here for today. The organizers thought it would be fun to have an official swordsmaster this year and the money is not bad." He explained as he reached in the satchel that contained his pokeballs and other important stuff like his staff pass for the event. Pulling Cerberus' pokeball from it, he released the Houndour and gave it the pass. "Could you go over to the canteen and grab a bag of jerky snacks for me? I might need them before the demonstration." He instructed his pokemon and Cerberus seemed more than happy to comply with his request, swiftly disappearing from view.[break][break]

"Now, how are we going to do this?" He asked Selena, fully focused again.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2020 3:41:32 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
Smiling sheepishly while raising both her hands was Selena's best retaliation after the disgruntled crowd, her mouth forming the words "I'm sorry" without making a slight sound. Jason rushed her into the platform just before the man from the counter could still say something.

“In my defense, it's not like I would hit someone.” Selena defended smugly. “Besides, I was trying to make a point here.”

Jason went on telling Selena about the invitation he got from the organizers saying they wanted a swordmaster this year to teach the swordplay for fair attendees, to which Selena poked with much interest. “A swordmaster, you say. It seems like I was not the only one showing off here.” Selena teased.

The girl released Lucifer as well, her umbreon, to accompany Jason's Cerberus while it get him his jerky, who only gave her a scoff before tailing the already vanished houndoom.

“So, you start with the right footing.”

Selena maneuvered her feet into a position just as she was expecting Jason to follow her lead.

“Balance is important in drawing enough force to launch an arrow and you don't want losing your steadiness when releasing it.” She warned him. “Or else you could be really hitting that guy just now.” Referencing the man she almost hit who was now nowhere in sight, which made Selena bust a gut.
@day

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 9, 2020 20:07:47 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

in the world

Jason shrugged at the mention of him showing off in response to her own showoff attitude. He didn't feel like he was, but before any words could form in his mouth, his mind and eyes wondered curiously and with keen interest after the newly released and apparently disinterested Umbreon. It would have been hard for Selena to miss his obvious interest and perhaps wonderlust for the Umbreon, but he was quickly brought back to reality. She was showing him how to stand.[break][break]

Taking a quick look at her stance, he eased himself into a similar position. Balance. He knew about the importance of balance, but while in fencing balance was achieved through a low stance that limited your target area, he was pretty sure in archery that might be detrimental. "If that guy had moved it wouldn't matter if you were balanced or not. That's the problem with living things within hit range." He commented and his tone indicated he was speaking from experience. It had been one too many times that his Eevee had decided it also wanted to play swords while Jason and Hades were sparring. Jason had balance, but that didn't stop his blade from shaving the tip of the Imp's tale that day.[break][break]

"So, low stance or just shoulder-length steady?" He asked to be sure he had this right.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 10, 2020 10:19:38 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
Selena decided not to poke fun anymore on the-guy-she-almost-it, seeing how it made Jason stern. In all fairness, she totally agree with him. She was a bit showoff.

“A straight-on stance. You need to train your arms and your eyes to be aligned first.” The girl suggested, she now left her position to move towards the man's rear. “Here, let me help you.”

Selena went on Jason's waist and motioned for him to twist, one foot forward. “Feet apart. So you can control the action and the reaction.”

She moved her hands to his for forearmand made him raise it horizontally. “You need to match your hand into your line of sight. The aim should be where your outlook is. Hold the bow vertically and keep it steady.”

Selena then moved to the other side and led his upper arm, pulling the arrow by its tail backward then keeping it still. “The projection is much stronger and farther if it is drawn at its full capacity. You just have to give it all in...”

While still holding his arms, she gave Jason a beam of reassurance.

“And just let it go.”
@day

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2020 20:41:17 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

in the world

Jason was quick to follow her instructions and Selena would find no resistance from his body as she made sure to fix his posture and aim for him. He was focused on getting it all in and figuring out how this thing worked. While she instructed him to let go, he held for a few more seconds, making sure he had realized how the arrow head was lined up with the center of the target. With a soft exhale, he let go, his fingers not so nimble as to not mess up with arrow's pathway.[break][break]

Despite that, his shot was pretty decent for a first timer and he couldn't contain an excited smile as he turned to look at Nocta first and then at Selena. "Not bad, but try and aim yourself next shot." Nocta teased but she remained relatively neutral and disinterested. Jason rolled his eyes at her comment. What was up with her? He knew that she didn't really get along with strangers, but she never was that cold with people before.Her behavior was puzzling to him, but he would have to chat with her later about it.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 16, 2020 17:35:36 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
“Not bad for your first attempt.” Selena might have spoken what Jason's zorua would say, but only in a manner of pure delight and amusement. “Now it will take years of practice to professionally be expert at bow and arrow, but that's a start!”

The girl did not expect she would revisit her archery skills in the future. The only difference now is that she's the teacher. Selena hoped she thought him enough to actually feel something for the sports that she loved—to actually attempt at continuing it.

The fennekin purred at the sight of Lucifer, whose attitude now more than ever peaked the Fortreee's canopies. He did not bring any lunch. “Well, I think I'll just get it myself later." She chuckled.

Selena put her bow and arrow down the counter and grabbed Circe by her arms, the umbreon cleaning its mane from her side. “Shall we go eat our lunch now? Or do you still have time to teach me swordsplay?”

The Kalosian could only hope he choose the latter.
@day

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2020 12:54:21 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

■ hehe time for the date to go on uwu

in the world

"Maybe this will be a future project." Jason agreed with Selena's assessment of the sport of archery and grabbed another arrow as Cerberus and Lucifer showed up. One was baring gifts of food, the other not. "Thanks buddy." Jason kneeled down to give the Houndour a nice scratch in reward and to place his staff card back in his pouch.[break][break]

"One more shot and then I can teach you some fencing before it's time for the demonstration. Then, if you're still up for it we can go for lunch." He said as he got up and assumed shooting position again. He fumbled a little with positioning the arrow properly on the string but he was soon focused as he took aim. This time his releasing was smoother, but his aim was more off than when Selena had guided him. "Huh, I see..." He mused to himself and placed his bow back as well.[break][break]

"Where did you learn how to shoot like that?" Jason asked curiously as they had thanked the man on the counter and were on their way down to the ground again. Having already gotten some jerky himself and given a piece to Cerberus and Nocta, he offered the packet to Selena as well.[break][break]

Casually they would make their way to the fencing area, a cleared opening bordered with thick rope and a rack of various swords, some out of wood, some out of metal with no edge. A bench made out of a felled log and a tent nearby were also part of the same. His fencing ring was near the knights' tent and fighting ring which currently had a lot of people due to duels taking place.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2020 15:32:40 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
Jason earned a few more points on Selena's charm meter trying to aim another target after the Kalosian taught him the basics, even though he missed a few centimeters from the center ring. Selena grabbed him by his shoulders and consoled the migth-be downhearted man as she walked him down the treehous. “Now, now. I told you, it will take years to beat me in my own game. Teehee.

Circe propped herself to Selena, hopping to her shoulders then squeezing itself on her arms. The umbreon was minding its own business but followed them nonetheless.

When Jason scrutinized the source of her archery genius, the fennekin howled. "The Desmarais children are trained in the various arts especially archery. It's like a brand in our own name." Selena produced from her pocket her pokénav, a keychained attached to it bearing an emblem of fennekin and arrows figures. "Oh, and fennekins as well. They're one of our trademarks. And I'm telling you if she evolved into a braixen already, she may even be better at archery than me."

Selena casually declined the jerky but asked if she could give her pokémons some. Both of her umbreon and fennekin love dried foods, and she hoped it would be enough to tame the sassy Lucifer.

Reaching the fencing area, she saw how crowded the nearby tents can get. First of all, you would not get the same quantity of people from archery. It just cannot attract an audience.

And this environment was settng Selena on edge, but a burst of confidence was still blazing despite the size of an ember. Selena grabbed a blade, an instrument Jason could say too much for her own swordsplay expertise, and waved it in circles, as if trying to practice a slash.

“So, sensei. Where do I start?”
@day
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Mar 18, 2020 22:29:02 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[nospaces]

Finding my place

■ I tried to keep this brief so she has time to react and you dont have to read a wall.

in the world

"Oh, and fennekins as well. They're one of our trademarks. And I'm telling you if she evolved into a braixen already, she may even be better at archery than me." Jason gawked at the emblem for a moment. "Cool." He said in genuine amazement and gave her the green light to take some for her pokemon with the comment of 'jerky is for everybody'. [break][break]

Selena was quick to pick up one of the swords from the rack and a faint smirk appeared on Jason's face. She was acting as if this was a movie, much like every other guest had with wild arcs and slashes of their weapon. "So, sensei. Where do I start?" Se questioned and Jason picked up one of the training swords as well before moving them towards the center of the little arena. "Everything starts with the correct stance. Unlike archery, in fencing you need a steady, low stance. Something to keep you light on your feet but will not affect your balance during a harsher blow." He began explaining as he slowly moved to a proper position.[break][break]

"First you want to allign your heels. Sword arm and foot forward, left foot to form a T. sword arm held close to your side, elbow bent inwardsand wrist inwards as well to keep the blade facing your opponent at all times." Making sure that Selena was following his moves, he would then motion her to stay still and he moved to correct her posture.[break][break]

"Unlike the movies, fencing is about subtlety, fast and precise movements. Can you lower yourself more? The less area you expose to your opponent the better it is for you." He explained and used his wooden sword to correct the distance of her feet slightly.

deltra of gangnam style
[googlefont=Raleway]
close tab

played by

lancelot

Eye of Staraptor
she/her
october 19
camphrier town, kalos
bisexual
pr strategist
ace
unavailable
single
437 height
437 height
awards
1,218 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lancelot
Selena Desmarais
POSTED ON Mar 19, 2020 19:35:49 GMT
Selena Desmarais Avatar
Jason would have missed it but there was a frown budding in the Kalosian's face. There was a lot of instructions Selena deemed to hard to follow and understand that when she started slouching a little lower after the sworddsman's instruction, she could feel a bone or two popping from its places. “I can't help my knees from shaking.

Yet, Selena understood what Jason meant. It was just she thought she may be lacking too much from the brain-body coordination department. At least in archery, she does things one step at a time. In fencing, every action is critical.

In between Lucifer's cackle, Circe's mooning, and Jason's assurance, Selena manage o get the right position. Feet apart, here right foot forward. Arms tucked but separated enough to move freely. Her torso's about slouching but was careful in a sense to cover her exposed abdomen. Her sparring weapon clutched tigtly around her fingers.

It took her about twenty minutes. But it was a perfect stance. At least for her and the fennekin.

"So, is this good? Can we now spar?"
@day