awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 18:37:09 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]So Anderson has old money. Interesting. Fernando recognizes that he knows very little about the Head Ranger and makes a mental note to investigate. The more he knows the better he can deal with — collaborate with his colleague.

"To put it bluntly, our failures. I think they're being unreasonable but they're citing the fact that we couldn't capture the Ultra Beast from Slateport, Balder's commendation of the League, the public reputation we've tarnished, and now this incident."

Fernando sighs, breaking his posture to incline into his seat.

"They want results and they want it now."

There's no delicate way to put it so Fernando confronts the awkward situation head-on.

"They want to divide the region up and appoint another Head Ranger for Western Hoenn. They think downsizing the chain of command will allow leading figures to work more closely with developing talent to help increase performance."

Fernando gives Lars a moment to react before inserting his own opinion.

"Personally, I'm against it. We already have enough Head Rangers as it is. Although I don't fault the actions of Adachi on you, they do want to iron out procedures and training to make sure such behavior doesn't happen again."

He doesn't mention the alternative just yet though.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 18:52:31 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The moment the Councilman had said ‘failure’, he sighed. He couldn’t help but agree with what had happened—the Night Market, and then the latest incident over at Littleroot… were there other incidents that had happened before he had risen to his position asides from the failed rescue of the Commissioner where they had unknowingly (yeah, right) ‘killed civilians’.

He could only groan as he rubbed the sides of his head at the mention of everything that had piled up and led to this moment. Chewing once again on the caramel square in his mouth, he let himself think for a few moments.

His eyebrows raised themselves at the mention of appointing another Head Ranger—was that even possible? While they were staffed on the shorter side of things, he was loathe to admit that, they more than made up for it with their enthusiasm towards their work. Even if they were paid little in the process.

“If they hired another Head Ranger, wouldn’t that be shooting themselves in the foot by stretching the budget out even further than it already has been,” he remarked.

“People who want to become Rangers are more than willing to do so as early as eighteen years of age, although they would not be fully recognized until they complete the training, which would take up to three, four—maybe five years if they start really early. There’s a lot of things that go into Ranger training than what you think,” he added a few moments later.

There’s also another question on the edge of his lips but he decided not to ask it—at least not yet anyway.

:thinking:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 18:57:55 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"The new Head Ranger won't be paid. At least the candidate that they're considering."

There's nothing to refute so Fernando doesn't mention anything else. Instead, he prepares the next files he has on hands and thumbs through the accordingly. They're already stacked in order of relevance but he likes to double check before presenting them. He doesn't show them off just yet, waiting to read Lars' reaction.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 19:04:01 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“What? What do you mean, ‘they’ve already considered someone’?” he said, keeping his calm as much as he could.

On the inside, though, he was… furious. They’ve already gone and chosen one without even considering to talk… it’s the same thing all over again like with the previous meeting! Swirled in the back of his mind.

He wanted to lash out about this, but he figured—lashing out all the time wasn’t always a good thing. It had almost gotten him in trouble the last time he did that in front of everyone else who had a position higher than he did.

Sometimes he wondered how he was lucky to keep his position after what he’d done in the last meeting with the other people in power.

not this again, oh boy

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 19:09:07 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"The idea of appointing another Head Ranger would be baseless without someone in mind. It was an empty, baseless suggestion given when discussing Littleroot among the policy makers. Unfortunately, some have already rallied behind it."

Fernando closes his eyes and sighs.

"Again, I'm against it, but I don't have another candidate in mind. I don't believe any of the other council members have been told this since it stemmed from feedback from the Littleroot investigation, but I'll inform them about this as well. I've offered alternatives, so we'll see how that pans out."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 19:17:46 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Much as he wanted to suggest Orion to be his counterpart, he knew that the Council would be one man down—and he needed someone he could trust on the inside of the Pyroar’s den so to speak.

“Why do they want to do the impossible…” he trailed off as he downed the rest of the sweet treat in his mouth. Giving himself time to think, he nodded his head curtly in the other man’s direction.

“What other alternatives do you have in mind?” he inquired. “I’m curious.”

Truly, what was the man in front of him thinking? Unless he was a telepath then he could peek in easily, but alas he was not.

:OGeyes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 19:24:03 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "We already have enough Head Rangers as is. We don't need another."

Fernando pushes his next report. It's his testimony of what transpired in Littleroot. A few lines are highlighted, including the fact that and disregarded security and were apart of the chaos. Fernando goes in-depth with the notion that the League was not authorized to move without a warrant and that pushing the matter with so many different variables should be considered a lapse of judgement and protocol.

"So the alternative is to circumvent that and put together a team. Hand drafted members from all branches of the League. Nothing large but diverse enough to experiment with. It'll be composed of low ranking and otherwise non-consequential members. They'll be under my direct supervision."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 19:36:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You would be the one picking the members of the team out, then?” he inquired after the other was done speaking. “How small would this ‘special task force’ be?”

And of course, nobody from high-ranking positions. But I kind of see what he’s trying to point out… he thought as he picked up a pen and began to idly spin it.

“And what would this group of people be doing, exactly? What would they be called, if ever?

:OGeyes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 20:09:49 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Ideally. I refuse to be responsible for someone I don't approve of."

Surprisingly, Lars asks a very good question. It's something that Fernando isn't sure about. How much is too much? Everything is still being planned out but even Silph has no idea how big the unit should be. "I want it as small as possible," is the most honest answer he can provide, "but they want it to be diverse."

The most important question makes him frown.

"I'm not big on names, Lars. What matters is their purpose — to make sure we stop losing."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 20:19:21 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“You’ve told the others about this, or are you planning on dropping this on them in another meeting?”

By ‘others’, he meant the other Council members. Surely he would understand the implication there.

There was still another question that was begging to be answered, however he wasn’t sure how to exactly phrase it. Lars really needed to work on his subtlety…

“Whatever that is—and if it involves a Ranger or two, do let me know at least? So I can keep an eye on whoever you choose as well in case shit goes south,” he replied before falling into silence.

Was he walking into a trap? He didn’t know. While he couldn’t read the signs until they were too late, he was trying to get around that little problem. It would be slow going, though.

:thinking:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 20:27:29 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"I find it despicable that they involve everyone except the person most affected by it. So I came to you first. You're the only one I've told about the situation, as a whole."

He shrugs. "But all of this is just idle brainstorm. None of it has been put into action yet. Nothing might happen — you know politics."

And then his eyes narrow in and he searches Lars for approval.

"But I wanted to be make sure. I'm sure you get slighted enough as is."

He takes out another sheet and pass it to Lars.

"Here is one of the members they want me to take in." It's a profile of @iris. "Nothing outstanding about her aside from her background but I found it odd that she has handlers. I think it's counter-intuitive."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 20:55:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

At the mention of ‘politics’, he shuddered for a few brief moments.

Red tape. One of the reasons why politics is such a mine field,” he supplied. Knowing that they were both in a position of power, and how politics higher up on the chain of command was—it was inevitable that there would be red tape anywhere one looked.

He observed quietly as another sheet of paper is produced and slid across the table. The name atop it catches his attention—it’s one of the newer Rangers employed.

The interesting thing that drew his eye was the word ‘handlers’, even if he’d already seen the word a few times before while reviewing her personnel file. Why she had them, he had no idea. But he had his suspicions…

“Handlers. You think ‘they’ would take lightly to this if and when they find out she’s being employed elsewhere?”

handlers, eh

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 20:58:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Doesn't matter."

Fernando is confident because who besides Dahlia Goode could go against him. It would take Kim Cole and someone else to override him. And that's not even factoring in those already on his side. Some irrelevant babysitters are meaningless before his authority.

"Littleroot was the last straw. The League is mobilizing."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 21:04:07 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

There was some irony in that last statement, there.

“Shouldn’t the Night Market incident have been the last straw for the higher-ups?” he asked with an ironic smile on his face. “That, and what Balder did by condemning the League overall.”

The odd question is, why now? Did it really have to be three strikes before they finally realized what the hell is going on? He pondered to himself in the back of the mind.

“Actually, scratch that—Slateport being taken should have been the first and last time.

He had to play his cards carefully. Revealing too much would do him in.

well well

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 19, 2020 21:29:20 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Maybe."

In hindsight, Fernando should've pushed for more changes back then. Unfortunately, there's only so much he can do alone. At the risk of his own health, he tried to make as much a difference as he could. It didn't help that assistance was minimal and opposition was fierce.

"Balder is irrelevant. I took care of him."

Maybe that's what allowed Fernando to give a good amount of push back.

The mention about Slateport shows how little Lars happens to know about League politics.

"And do you remember what happened after Slateport?"