awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 22:07:59 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"] "Ah. Well, if you ever need to blow off some steam, you always have someone who shares your burden."

Fernando gives and airy laugh, as if they're companions, because only a few will understand the implications placed on people in their line of work. The diversion to Iris snaps Fernando back into the conversation and he shifts in his seat. "Not really. Her name was handed to me and I didn't know until they mentioned it. I don't particularly care but I'm more than adequate to handle anyone Rocket affiliated. I'm sure they won't give me as trouble as Silas did."

He pauses.

"But now that they've suggested her, I'm a bit interested, yes. Not many of our members are given handlers. How about you? Would you rather me take a different ranger? I can let them know if you're interested in this one."

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 22:14:08 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Your guess is as good as mine. If she has any valuable information we can use, then by all means, use it as you see fit,” he went on as he re-read the copy in front of him.

While he hadn’t gone in-depth in their previous meeting, he was sure that he was going to miss something if he wasn’t careful.

“You would certainly have much more use of the information she may know about Rocket, considering if it would fit with what you’re planning for this small group. Just—let me know if and when you’re done. Well, I wouldn’t mind her sharing time between what you’re planning and working with the Rangers—or do you want her full-time with you on the group you’re putting together?

Was there even another alternative? He scoured his mind, but he didn’t know if there would be anyone else who had the necessary… ‘qualifications’.

:OGeyes:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 22:20:28 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"I'm not sure what they had in mind but if they're going to be my responsibility then I preferred her to be full-time. Naturally, she'll have to agree to it as well but if you're willing the share the blame, then I won't be opposed to splitting. It'll be a nice controlled variable."

Fernando adjusts his tone to make the second hand portion of his comment an obvious joke. While he doubts it's hard to miss it doesn't hurt to iron out their communication. Less of a chance of a misunderstanding.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 22:25:25 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Yes, it’s best to ask her about this directly. No cutting around the corners. Besides, you wouldn’t want to be in charge of someone who doesn’t want to cooperate full-time with you, I take?”

Two could play that game, but honestly, it felt better to know that there would less mix-ups on their parts if the change would become official.

“Curious to know, but what exactly is your ‘criteria’ for choosing people for this group you’re putting together? In case you may need another one of my personnel to assist you with whatever it is you’re planning,” he asked casually.

It didn’t hurt to know a little more about this, correct?

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 22:42:57 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"Indeed. I'll reach out to her when — if it becomes official. Who knows? They might just elect the Ranger Head instead and all of this will be for naught."

Lars question is an interesting one and also one that Fernando will never answer in its entirety. There's no need to lay out something that the other man will never understand.

"My criteria? Hm," he pauses to give the impression that he's his question some thought. "I look for people who have common sense, will listen to me, and won't have a negative impact by leaving the branch they're already in. Oh, and they have to follow standard League rules and procedure. We already have enough bad press as it is."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 23:03:37 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The mention of ‘bad press’ makes his eyebrows knit together in concern for a few moments before he remembered what had gone down as of late.

The contest was a nice attempt, but… this happened… he thought with a sigh as he took quick mental notes down. He would have to write all of that down later for his own reference.

“Are you sure you need only one Ranger for the moment?” he inquired, a coy look on his face. “Who knows, we might be meeting like this again and then you would be asking to borrow another one of my personnel,” he added a few moments later.

muda.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 23:07:17 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]He can kind of see where Lars' is trying to steer the conversation but it's hard to tell. So, for now, Fernando goes with the flow.

"Oh? Are you offering one, then?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 23:12:25 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“I’d let you know if and when I do find another one. Considering we’re in the middle of rebuilding since we lost one entire squad of Elite Rangers for reasons yet to be verified, it’s a scramble through the ranks to find another squad to take their place.”

Oh, fuck, how he hated going through those files. Seven of them, with their leader—for a total of eight. Eight less capable people decimated by an unknown individual or a group, and they were nowhere close to getting answers to this. Hell, even their families were upset at the investigation.

Sighing, he rubbed his head.

“Anything else you have in mind? I’m sure I wouldn’t want to take up so much of your time today.”

:thinking:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 23:16:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"No, actually. That was my primary purpose in visiting you today."

However, Fernando can't help but inquire about the mysterious Elite Rangers. There have been reports of missing people and recent suspected homicides but not at this level. "Did you need any assistance with your squads? It sounds quite troubling for a bunch of them to sudden be taken out. Sounds like you have no real leads either."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 20, 2020 23:24:52 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“If you have any information—any at all, honestly—I’m all ears. The investigation into their deaths is slow going. We haven’t even figured out a perpetrator—or perpetrators, if there’s more than one individual behind all this—is involved.”

Sighing, he rubbed the back of his neck. After digging through some other folders, he pulled out a particularly thick one and slid it across the table.

“That’s it. The entire report so far. Seven—eight bodies all found incinerated. Even their Pokémon were taken down along with them. Identifying them took a while because of the way they were… disposed of.”

:thinking:

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 21, 2020 9:31:26 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"I'll keep that in mind, Anderson. Unfortunately, I know little to nothing about the matter."

Fernando accepts the dossier and thumbs through it quickly. First, he merely skims, trying to grab a general idea of what happened, before turning back to start all over again from the beginning. His second pass through is more thorough and takes his time rereading several lines to make sure it commits to memory.

"If that's the case, I would recommend your Rangers to keep a portable water Pokemon on their person. Nothing too intrusive. A Wingull or Poliwag would do wonders for preemptive measures."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 3:14:15 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“They would know that, of course. At least a Water-type or a Water-type move on-hand, in case of fires,” he quipped. He wasn’t that dumb. Always be ready to handle fire, or floods, or anything under the sun. It was also basic common sense.

“They were just taken by surprise, is all. Or ambushed. But you know, no conclusive evidence points to that yet.”

He was still upset over that. As of now, he had few Elite Rangers to pull from and form another organized squad just like the one that had been wiped away from the map altogether.

“Makes me wish we had more people around. We have to work double-time to make sure the entire region is safe.”

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 7:47:48 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"When I say on their person, I don't mean in a Pokeball, Anderson."

There's a message in between the lines but Fernando doesn't dare say it aloud. His own perception on Pokemon battling isn't one that matches modern standards. His ideology is one that thrived during Slateport, outfitted for war, but finds no place once peacetime settles. Most would deem it overkill, paranoid, and perhaps even barbaric, but at least it proves effective. Better to be overly vigilant than to end up like the rangers before them.

"It seems being a ranger isn't the most appealing occupation these days. Even with the added pay to their missions most trainers seek to become champion or challenge the Elite Four. Maybe if the rangers had someone with that type of appeal recruitment would be more fruitful."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,790 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 19:33:21 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Well, do you have anyone you can suggest who falls under that criteria you mentioned?”

There it was, the question he had been dreading to ask. He always wondered why so few people had been wanting to sign up for his line of work, and it doesn’t take too long for him to let out a sigh and to prevent his disappointment from becoming visible on his face for the briefest of moments.

There’s a name in his mind, but he’s not sure if the other man is going to mention it anyway, so he waits with bated breath to find out.

I wonder

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,735 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
reparation [c]
POSTED ON Jun 22, 2020 23:03:23 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]"No. That's your field of expertise, Anderson."

If there was such a Ranger, Fernando would've long poached them for himself. That being said, he only knows so many of the Rangers as it is. Even Lars, the most popular one, if only due to his title, is mostly an enigma. However, despite his ignorance, Fernando attributes their lack of presence to their lack of relevance. His time is too pressed to analyze people who are inconsequential.

"And if none exist, I would recommend becoming that person."