snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
oh, drunken gods of slaughter, you know i've always been your favorite daughter.
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
The dead walk [TOS/C]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 0:09:02 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]dragons fade from the recesses of her mind as if to clear the path for the tale kaida murmurs, for the picture painted in vivid colors and distinct strokes. a story of a girl who didn't meet her kind until a later age, of a girl who believes herself to be more beast than man. and yet, illeana gives her companion her full attention. she hangs from each word, dark eyes shifting between understanding and curiosity.

she wants to ask questions, to pick it apart until there's only a logical analysis left behind for her to base hypotheses off. and yet, she doesn't. instead, she stays silent until the story ends and kaida's taking a leap of faith to ask a question of her own. is that scary? does the story she just heard leave her with senses of terror? no, she decides with a hum, it doesn't. if anything, it makes her a little sad, a little empathetic, a little protective.

"no," she murmurs. "it's not scary. it's reasonable, understandable even, to not relate to others when you never knew how they could be." and she's reminded too often that the line between man and beast is always blurred, always barely there until it's all one can focus on. perhaps kaida focuses too much on that line, on what separates her from the rest of them. and maybe that line drawn into dirt is exactly what makes her presence calming. there's no scheming, no lies or manipulation. only truths and an acute understanding of what it means to be ferocious. and somewhere along the lines, she'll understand that she's gravitating toward that presence, toward the concrete example of how to be a good kind of beast.

she'll need that example in the long run.

"it could be," her eyes shift away from her thoughts and back into focus on the conversation. "working together provides more advantages, especially when species are varied. it's like piling up the strengths of each one until you're an unstoppable force." there's a reason why mythologies have chimeras. hybrid beasts with the best attributes of multiple species combined into one lethal creature. and if someone could become one, she wonders if the power is worth the effort. if it is, could someone as meek as her hope to come close to such a thing?

her gaze follows kaida's toward the charizards, still contently flying through the skies. "stilio," she offers the name of her charizard before falling silent. the explanation given makes sense but is it enough to start small? how small does she need to start in order to achieve her goals? in order to protect those she holds close? somehow, she imagines it'll take more than just small acts but that's another problem for another time. "will starting small work, though? how does one know when they're ready for more?" she has too many questions than kaida probably has time for but she starts off with only a few. her gaze shifts to her feet, to shoes dusted with dirt. "littleroot was nothing more than a series of mistakes complied into a failure of a file." it's hard to believe the events of littleroot to be anything less than what others have told her now. mistake upon mistake until it's all she can see, all she can recognize. she did nothing but get injured, nearly die, and ruin a sap sample.

the dark shift in her doesn't settle. instead, it lingers for longer than perhaps anyone would like. and it's always a bit uncomfortable to see good intentions fade into something unrecognizable but loss and failure have plagued her for too long and she's tired of the lack of control. kaida's abrupt words catch her off guard, jarring her out of her thoughts and leaving her almost stunned into silence. she didn't expect the force from which the sentence came but it still provides her with something to think about. there's a pause before she's offering an answer. "it does, yes," she murmurs. "something to protect makes us aggressive in some aspects." almost like the reaction a lioness has when protecting her cub, the sentiment is the same. kaida gives an example of her own and while illeana understands it, she doesn't quite get the meaning of family. in kaida's case, she does, but in her own? no, she couldn't understand it. family is something she no longer has ties to. it's nothing more than a surname signed on a document. "those lives, the people i love, my pokemon," she rattles them off like bullet points on a list, almost mechanical as if it's been repeated like a mantra to cement her cause. darkness creeps a little further into already dark eyes until charcoal looks more inky than steel. "i've lost some of them because i couldn't protect them. never again." it's half spoken to herself, half to kaida. and when her chin raises a little higher, a little prouder, it's almost like the softness she holds so dear is evaporating into nothing. "if someone wants to hurt them again, they'll pay for it dearly."

the temperature drops a little as if a spirit is at their backs, as if the dark promise of revenge is a beacon.

[attr="class","illietag"]
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
You're the pulse in my veins, you're the war that I wage, can you change me?
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
The dead walk [TOS/C]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2020 22:40:47 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

[attr="class","mthread"][attr="class","league"]

While her story held no privacy to her, Kaida does tilt her head with some surprise as it goes completely uninterrupted, absolutely listened to and unscathed. It even ended with Illeana with no fear! [break][break]

Then again, I'd never know if she's lying. Nonetheless, she chose to believe. [break][break]

"I'm...glad you're reasonable." She scratched the surface of her own separation to others, she mentioned not her own initial fleeing, not an orphanage, not clawing towards Rangerhood. She still felt the other woman knew her better, a little at least, "I usually get people asking lots of difficult questions," Questions she couldn't remember the answers to, "Thanks. It's a lot." How sad, to thank someone for something so simple, but it was something. She couldn't remember a time where that story got told and listened to. A simple beast. She didn't want it to be denied or questioned. It was the reason for herself, and it couldn't be refuted. So yes, she needed to thank her for recognizing that line in the sand. It didn't mean they couldn't be allies, or even family. Creatures different from each other worked together, after all. Would they become an unstoppable force? Charming thought, that one. [break][break]

"Stilio..." Kaida smiles, already catching differences between her own Charizard and him. She wouldn't forget him anytime soon. She waited for Illeana's next words, they had to think alot, didn't they? "I don't know." Her honest opinions came out in force, "I don't know how strong you are, or your Pokemon." A small smirk crossed her face, "If we raced, or fought, I'd probably beat you...and I got that way just being me, so I guess we challenged things that were harder and harder, not even realizing it." When did a predator graduate from Rattata to Stantler? When it decided it was ready. "You just...decide. Don't be stupid, but it's not like you're weak, you can probably do harder things already." [break][break]

"It won't be next time...there has to be a next time." Kaida assured Illeana, leaning forward before abruptly jerking back, as if rethinking her actions, "Not even heroes win all the time." Perhaps it was a childish thought, but it was foolish to think you could win all the time, especially against an unknown enemy, "I sound...hah, simple, but whining how everything went wrong doesn't help us. Just...you, I can't very well control you, or anybody else...hopefully everyone makes less mistakes, I'm just trying to make few mistakes." Win or lose, it was determined by how well both sides did. Predator caught prey when prey made too many mistakes, prey got away when predator made too many mistakes, and neither side would ever make no mistakes. She could only determine how to lessen the mistakes she made, no more, no less. [break][break]

Kaida could only look upon Illeana in the corner of her eyes, "Huh, you're not like me, you have lots of people." She didn't ask any names, deciding Illeana could specify if she wanted, "Lots of people have lots of people." She could only imagine it was a confusing tangle of connections...perhaps that's why she was worried, she didn't want to see a connection severed, and the resulting retaliation, "Please...protect them, then. Just...just be careful." She couldn't just say it outright, so direct, and fearing that she might harm more than help if she spoke it: [break][break]

Don't kill them unless you mean to eat or until they will kill you and your loved ones...and I'm pretty sure you don't kill to eat.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: Rocky Steps mission!

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheader]width:350px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.mthread]width:299px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 25px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
always an
angel, never a god.
5’8” height
5’8” height
oh, drunken gods of slaughter, you know i've always been your favorite daughter.
awards
4,094 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
The dead walk [TOS/C]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2020 0:28:09 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i]she flushes slightly beneath the relief of her companion. reasonable. it's something she tries to be, nestled between considerate and kind. and yet, she's still unaccustomed to someone else recognizing it. maybe it's the moments after that have her wondering if she's really reasonable, the mentions of questions bringing a little bit of shame about.

she had wanted to ask, wanted to pick it all apart until everything makes complete sense. and out of consideration, out of possibly one-sided friendship, she didn't. is that reasonable or people-pleasing?

"oh, there's no need to thank me," she tries to brush it off but a soft sigh escapes anyway and she's finding the horizon with her eyes, dragons darting in and out of focus as they whisk their bodies through the clouds. "i'm not going to lie... i did have a lot of questions but i imagine that it's uncomfortable to have to answer any," her gaze darts back if only to gauge the reaction, to offer a small smile in the face of it. "besides, you trusted me to share that information and i'd be a damn fool to ruin that." she likes to think that there's a bond between them, one that isn't quite touched upon by either party but recognized for its full worth.

a fond smile rises as kaida repeats her charizard's name. he'd like her, that much she's very certain of. and while she wants to dwell on that for a moment longer, they're already shifting into more of the conversation and she's letting out a laugh before she can focus on anything else. "you'd definitely hand my ass to me in any sort of competition!" it's both amusing and completely accurate. she's not much of a competitor or even a battler, really, but kaida? she has no doubt in her mind that her friend could probably bring the world to its knees if she really wanted to. laughter settles into silence, into contemplation and racing thoughts for a moment. can she really get stronger by just being herself? no, that might not be productive. she's too soft and maybe that's the problem. can one be strong and soft all at once? or is that a foolish concept? "you think i could get on the same level as you and everyone else if i start small?" she's still so full of questions, so full of hesitation. even with the words of fernando in her mind or the weight of consequences shattering the bones of her shoulders, there's so much uncertainty it's getting hard to breathe through. another sigh escapes, ushering self-deprecation into the space between them. "i -- i'm definitely not strong enough to do most things. if i'm being honest, littleroot was the first time i've ever been in a situation like that," she pauses to collect her thoughts and her eyes flutter back to trees. "i was never raised to battle or get involved in things that aren't held in the four walls of a lab. it's always been science and research, no time for training or growing stronger." and it should feel easy to admit these things but it only feels a little sad.

a flush fights its way to her cheeks and she's caught between agreeing and being adamant about her stance. heroes can't win all the time but... how many losses can they handle? how many is too much? and at what point does it become more about winning than protecting? there's so many thoughts, it's difficult to keep up. the smile she wears stays regardless, even going so far as to widen a little when kaida leans forward. "that's true, but the losses keep piling up," she tries to keep her face from twisting into a frown when she considers the weight each loss holds. "and those losses mean lives lost, bodies that should have been protected either injured or placed six feet under." while she hadn't been involved in the heavy losses, littleroot had left its own mark on her. even without the severity behind it of the slateport invasion or the new year's events... it still feels too heavy of a burden to accept. "it won't help but perhaps it will lead to acceptance and change." at least, she hopes. there has to be change, has to be better choices made after this. a shrug follows if only because she's uncertain of what to say. there's no right way to make fewer mistakes or to even accept the blame but both of them are slowly stepping into those roles. "that's a good attitude to have, kaida. i believe that if everyone looks at it in the same manner then fewer mistakes will be the result." or protocol will be changed and reinstalled into their minds until they have no other option but to perform with little to no errors.

a hum of consideration escapes. she does have a lot of people in her little corner of the world but that makes protecting all of them that much harder. and normally, they end up protecting her... "i suppose i do," she murmurs. "but that makes it even more crucial that i become stronger. i need to protect them as they have for me." she can't continue to be this helpless little girl. not anymore, not after this. and that thought lends itself to the darkness already growing, already spreading with the creeping sensation of dread. another loss could prove to be fatal. and while she's lucky that she hasn't lost a human yet, there's this notion that it's on the horizon and that, alone, fills her with both terror and anger. "i'll be careful," she promises and it only half tastes like a lie. she'll be more careful this time around but... there will be no promises made to determine the lengths she will or won't go to for her loved ones. "but they better be careful too." whoever she's hinting to is lost on her. maybe it's those behind the attack in littleroot, behind the tree dying and lives crumbling. or maybe it's directed at those who try to hurt the family she's gathered. either way, she's willing to do whatever it takes and perhaps the line between retribution and revenge is a delicate one but she's blissfully unaware of just how easily it can break.

wind howls around them and maybe it's the comforting presence she feels at her back, one that almost reminds her of the automaton lost in debris, that prompts her to sigh and look to the graves around them. it almost feels supportive as if custos is here, letting her know that it's alright to come for blood, to take an eye for an eye with no remorse.

[attr="class","illietag"]
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Drakka

Bestial
She/Her
November 6
Slateport (Technically)
Demisexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
You're the pulse in my veins, you're the war that I wage, can you change me?
awards
818 posts
Kaida Adachi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kaida
Kaida Adachi
The dead walk [TOS/C]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2020 20:50:49 GMT
Kaida Adachi Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","kcontain"]
[attr="class","kheader"]
[attr="class","team2"]

[attr="class","mthread"][attr="class","league"]

"Not uncomfortable...just irritating." Kaida admitted, trying not to let her face drop in the face of Illeana's smile, "They always ask things I can't remember, like where I lived or my parents." Her face curled into a sort of smile, "And yes, you'd be a fool to ruin this kind of thing." She could understand the importance of telling someone something, and was glad Illeana respected that sort of tell. Their strange relationship relied upon it. [break][break]

Now her smile changes into a smirk, pride peaking through as she held herself a little higher, "I am smaller than you," Very much so, she considered, "But I would destroy you." Her voice was swamped in amusement, no harm meant as she spoke, and yet Illeana still seemed to think of herself as weak. She held back a snort, wanting to keep her own credibility in this conversation unharmed, "It was my first time experiencing things there too." Especially at the end, a monster, explosion, then death. It was a time of seeing new things. "Raised?" Now she looked upon Illeana with clouded confusion, "Uh...how do you raise a person to something?" Was that...just a thing? Did she miss out on a parent raising her to be something? "Even if you were, er, raised to something, starting small changes lots of things. You'll be fine. If people don't get better, you'll get better than them fast." That had to be true, people didn't just not get better. It was impossible. [break][break]

Illeana's words rung painfully in Kaida's chest. She wondered how it would affect her to learn just what kind of losses had happened in the moment. "I wonder if you could have changed what happened there." Her tongue was loose, stop it, certainly nobody needed to know what did happen in there. She nodded stiffly at Illeana's kind response, trying to hold back more dim words, "Thanks. Didn't think that was a complicated thought to have." She might have had more to say, but she was trying to avoid a slip, and as a result clammed up. [break][break]

She feels like she can hear something beginning to creak, on the verge of some kind of shattering, or break. She's chilly, and she hates the sensation, the vulnerability of coldness. It feels like she understands and yet..."I understand...I think. They didn't think about me when they struck, I think it's fair to strike the same way." She didn't mean to say too much, didn't even notice how damning it sounded. She simply burned. [break][break]

It was more comfortable than the cold, she thought.

[break][break]
[attr="class","divide"]
[break]

[attr="class","notes"]notes: Rocky Steps mission!

[attr="class","tag"]

template by kay

[newclass=.kcontain]width:350px;height:auto;border:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.kheader]width:350px;height:160px;overflow-x:hidden;overflow-y:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.team2]width:auto;height:auto;padding:5px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.9;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.mthread]width:299px;float:top;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 25px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.faction b]font-weight:bold;color:#4d72a0;[/newclass]
[newclass=.rocket b]font-weight:bold;color:#716075;[/newclass]
[newclass=.league b]font-weight:bold;color:#dea02c;[/newclass]
[newclass=.tag]padding:4px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:5pt;color:#999999;text-transform:lowercase;[/newclass]
[newclass=.divide]width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
[newclass=.notes]font-size:8px;[/newclass]