snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 2, 2020 19:19:49 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illiepost"]
[attr="class","illieicon"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]sootopolis feels a little overwhelming, especially with the destination in mind. her nerves are already getting the best of her, already causing palms to sweat and limbs to tremble. this is fine. everything's okay. except, she's definitely about to get her ass handed to her by alex and that's definitely not fine. she can picture it now, can practically taste defeat without even stepping foot in the gym. yikes. save her now.

deep breaths. it'll be okay... right?

the door is gingerly pushed open and she's already squeaking when all eyes turn to her. they look expectant, like they're waiting for her to give some excuse as to why the head scientist is lingering in their lobby. "um, hi," she fidgets in place, running a hand through loose hair. "i have a challenge scheduled today?" blood pools in her cheeks like rubies and she looks extremely out of her element. how is she supposed to survive training with a silph when she can't even confidently wander into her boyfriend's gym?

"right! follow me, miss reyes." hesitation clings for a moment before she's nodding and trailing after the receptionist. each step brings with it more anxiety than the last until she's standing on her side of the battlefield and there's no turning back.

[attr="class","illietag"]
y i k e s
[attr="class","illiepoke"]

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color:#E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illiepoke] width:300px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2020 5:13:33 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]alexander sits in his office. the screen in front of him flickers as the video rewinds. and rewinds. and rewinds. he watches the same portion almost in a loop because he has to. repetition is the key to mastery. mistakes can no longer be afforded. the vibration of his phone pulls him away–ah, he's been looking forward to this for a while.

"miss reyes."

the two stand on opposite ends of the battlefield and it almost feels surreal. unnatural. he calls out his two pokemon and it cements the feeling. 

"you look lovely today. i hope you're ready for your gym challenge?" 

tentacruel floats calmly in the water with pyukumuku suctioned to her. a slight sheen of a BARRIER appears.

"if you are, you may have the first move."

[newclass=.devonpost]font:10px calibri;[/newclass]
[newclass=.devonpost b]color:#6c9975;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 1:58:40 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]the ever present flush of her cheeks deepens with the compliment, a hand rising to run through her hair. nervous ticks upon nervous ticks, never quite leaving for long enough. it's obvious she's not confident about this decision, this match, but it feels like a rite of passage. she has to do this, even if it results in failure.

"i am," comes out quietly, hesitant and unsure. as if she's questioning her very presence on this battlefield. does she deserve to be here? does she deserve to challenge him and hope to win? the answer lies somewhere within the actions to follow, she supposes.

a brief nod follows before she's inhaling, eyes shutting for a moment. and as the breath is released slowly, her eyes flutter back open. a shift of features follows as she calls out her own pokemon. a toxapex and a grotle settle before her and the expression she wears is different, more collected and composed than before. and like a mantra, the words of her mother echo in her head as she readies herself for the first move. contain yourself, daughter. you are a reyes and you better act like it.

while a good defense is the best offense, she doesn't have such a luxury right now. both his tentacruel and pyu-pyu are within the water where they'll have the advantage. does she bring them out? or see how much she can do from the position she's in now? options are laid out like cards spread across a table and she glosses over each hand, plucking a decision from the deck. "toxic," she murmurs. the toxapex has been waiting for this opportunity, waiting to seep poison into the waters. and she does so with a ferocity illeana has come to appreciate. TOXIC seeps and spreads from the sea urchin, solely intended for pyu-pyu.

"razor leaf," she whispers to the grotle, who has been merely observing his counterpart's actions. the bushes at his back rustle a moment later, leaves shifting until they're rising and leaving his body. RAZOR LEAF comes rapidly, quick and almost intended to cut skin into ribbons. where toxapex aims carefully, grotle doesn't and it's more like a barrage of sharp leaves raining down on both opponents.

toxapex uses TOXIC
grotle uses RAZOR LEAF

[newclass=.illiepost] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; padding-left:10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illieicon] height:100px; width: 100px; float:left; padding-right:5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illietag] width:300px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 10:43:39 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]illeana reyes deserves to be here--everything she's worked for, everything she's accomplished, they all lead to this moment. perhaps he'll help her realize it.

as soon as she gives the first order, his pokemon begin their approach. tentacruel sifts through the water, sinking deeper to avoid the resistance from the air. the TOXIC will find its mark as it seeps into pyu-pyu's skin, badly poisoning her. the same, however, will afflict the grotle, as an ooze of TOXIC leaks out of the ground beneath its feet.

the sharp RAZOR LEAVES cut through the air and even water, damaging both of them. the water does what it can to lessen the impact but the sharpness still finds its way through. they both grimace in pain, but tentacruel never slows down.

both her choices are immobile and so they'll take advantage of that. tentacruel starts circling the small patch of land the grotle stands on. two of her tentacles will emerge from the water but only one will whip forward for a POISON JAB.

[newclass=.devonpost b]color:#6c9975;font:bold 11px calibri;line-height:12px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 17:17:00 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]a frown settles onto her lips as scenes unfold like action sequences in a movie. there comes a time where speed and mobility is necessary for survival and perhaps this is one of those times. there's nothing to be done about the TOXIC that seeps into her grotle's bloodstream. but... if she stops to think about it, perhaps she had considered that downfall already when making her selections.

and maybe her grotle is nothing more than a sacrifice for a god. or, perhaps, she's counting on the specialty of grass types: health restoration.

grotle takes the blow, wincing at the increased pain that spreads from one little jab. he stands his ground but his legs falter beneath pressure brought on by poison. it'll be inevitable to fall, to crumble, but not yet. not now.

"get it back," she murmurs. and the grotle understands more than just the words. retaliation, restoration, all of the above. he stomps forward and forward until the leaves on his back are beginning to shimmer with the telltale sign of offense. GIGA DRAIN happens a moment later, a rough blow aimed for a half submerged enemy. and perhaps it's a mistake to drift so far into the lion's den but there's more than one member of this team and he's providing enough distraction for the other to do her part.

while grotle handles the tentacruel, toxapex begins to slink forward. with pyu-pyu now poisoned, the match up is slowly shifting into the sea urchin's favor. she had always known going into this with her toxapex that it was necessary to poison the enemy within the first few rounds. if not, the ability MERCILESS would never come into play. and instead of a sitting duck, alex now has to handle a cruel tank. her frown shifts into indifference as she watches the dual type move, shifting closer and closer to where pyu-pyu is. "give them hell," she supplies. her arms cross over her chest as nimh goes on the offensive.

VENOSHOCK launches and spreads to drench pyu-pyu in purple, coating and covering and burning with the poison it's already so familiar with. and while it normally wouldn't be as effective as it currently is, with both the opponent already poisoned and MERCILESS added into the equation... this is exactly what she hoped for. a critical hit with double damage, a spear sharpened until it's deadly. if only it'll actually work... a girl can hope.

toxapex uses VENOSHOCK. with target poisoned, deals double damage.
MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits
when the target is poisoned.
grotle uses GIGA DRAIN

[newclass=.illietag] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 17:33:08 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]tentacruel takes the hit of the GIGA DRAIN and allows the grotle to heal what little amount of health it does. she continues circling their opponent even as the water-type on her head gets focused down.

purple ooze spills all over pyu-pyu and the damage is excruciating. she lets out a cry that escapes through bubbles and she slides further down tentacruel's head to submerge herself more into the water, hoping to soothe the pain. she hides the attempt to RECOVER as she starts inhaling water through her skin.

tentacruel continues her assault on the grotle. the same two tentacles hover close by before one strikes with a POISON JAB.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 17:51:25 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]guilt flutters over her features briefly as attacks land. it's necessary, she tells herself. the pain they're feeling right now was agreed upon the moment he ushered them into battle. the concept does little to quell whatever emotions stir but she swallows them down in favor of concentration. don't get distracted, achieve your goals. failure isn't an option anymore.

grotle isn't fairing as well as she had hoped. another POISON JAB deals more damage and the grassy beast lets out a grunt of pain. GIGA DRAIN hadn't been enough to restore what has been lost and eventually, poison will take its toll. a frown further cements itself onto her face and she has to take a moment to pause, to gather what intel she has at the moment. calculate the next move, take in all pieces on the board. then, retaliate.

and maybe frustration is slowly beginning to get the better of her because it seeps into her next orders, her next assault.

the toxapex continues to advance toward the water, enough to watch as pyu-pyu sinks further. bubbles follow and the sea urchin is a hungry dog, salivating at the mouth for more. "after it," illeana barks and the poison tank needs nothing else. she launches into the water, poison barbed limbs already rushing to POISON JAB pyu-pyu. perhaps the ability she holds matches her personality as this attack is ruthless, unyielding, aimed for victory.

her eyes shift back toward the grass type as he tries to regain his footing. pain still surges through every inch of his body but they don't have time for recollection. not yet, anyway. "keep going," she urges. it dawns on her as the grotle lumbers forward that she's not so different from the ideals instilled into her as a child. tools, she muses. tools for victory. it's a little sad, a little ironic, and plenty painful when she really stops to dwell on it. unfortunately, she doesn't have the luxury of reflection right now. grotle shifts enough to plant all four feet firmly onto the battlefield. leaves begin to rustle once more and then, they're whipping up into a frenzy. LEAF STORM rushes away from his body and toward the tentacruel. perhaps it will be enough to give them some sort of advantage. if not, this could be the first of many mistakes to come.

toxapex uses POISON JAB. MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits when the target is poisoned.
grotle uses LEAF STORM

[newclass=.illietag] width:350px; text-transform:lowercase; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:right; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 18:07:32 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]it's necessary, sure, but alexander sees the subtle stir of emotions in her expression. pyu-pyu's reaction to the attack had done more than intended and he finds himself curious to illeana's disposition. will she be able to hold on?

the toxapex will find it much more difficult to physically hit a moving target that's as small as a cushion. when the POISON JAB comes flying at them, all tentacruel does is tilt her entire body back so the tentacle hits her head instead of pyu-pyu. her natural resistance to the attack allows her to simply shrug it off.

the LEAF STORM finds connection as grotle summons forth a flurry of razor-sharp leaves. they cut at the blue skin of the water-type, damaging, but she holds on, knowing the battle's about to tilt in their favor.

the grotle's hurt and badly poisoned; no amount of healing will save it. there's no use prolonging its demise either. with a HELPING HAND from pyu-pyu, tentacruel lashes out with a third tentacle for a boosted POISON JAB

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2020 18:28:33 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]a shaky breath escapes her and part of her despises it. the way she allows her emotions to once again get the better of her. instead of being steel, she's putty. instead of being a reyes, she's less. if her parents were here, perhaps they'd even punish her. the thought is chilling but effective in settling something in her. and where alex wonders if she'll hold on, she forces herself into the ideology that she has to.

her eyes narrow as the attack meant for pyu-pyu is absorbed by tentacruel. it won't be easy to knock one out, let alone both. does she even have what it takes to do that?

and then, the opposing POISON JAB is rushing toward her grotle and she knows it won't end well if something doesn't intervene. perhaps that's why she shifts a hand, raising it and forcing it to the side. the toxapex follows the pattern of her hand, rushing in to defend the grass type before this two on two becomes one on two. BANEFUL BUNKER takes the brunt of the blow, just as his tentacruel did. and while she's out of one offensive attack, it's better than the alternative.

"retaliate," she barks out once more. the tone of her voice is harsher now, almost hardened. part of it is painful, part necessary. which is the lesser of two evils? grotle grunts through the poison but doesn't move around his shield. instead, he'll stand his ground and return the assault with another round of LEAF STORM.

and from her point on the battlefield, illeana isn't confident that it'll be enough.

toxapex uses BANEFUL BUNKER. MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits when the target is poisoned.
grotle uses LEAF STORM

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2020 10:21:50 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]the BANEFUL BUNKER just prolongs the inevitable. the grotle is poisoned and alexander has seen what the condition does to pokemon time and time again. he sees it affecting his own pyu-pyu too, but out of the two of them, the grotle has taken far more damage. the BANEFUL BUNKER may have blocked the POISON JAB but the poison from TOXIC persists.

the second LEAF STORM is far less potent than the first. perhaps tentacruel realizes as such and allows herself to take the damage if only to immediately counter with a precise POISON JAB. she braces through the pain, though comes closer to fainting.

pyu-pyu takes the opportunity to RECOVER.

alexander is well-aware of the possible outcomes of the battle. it is likely that even when the grotle drops, she will come out victorious. pyu-pyu can only last so long and with the amount of damage tentacruel has taken, their odds are slim. despite that, he pushes on.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2020 19:48:08 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]delaying the inevitable barely allows her to gain any sort of an upper hand. the baneful bunker persists, sure, but at what cost? her grotle is still poisoned, living on fading time. the fumes of adrenaline are beginning to wear out and with them, the toxic seeps in further. fuck.

there's little she can do to prevent the grass type from tasting defeat. and yet, everything in her wants to fight it. if they're going to go down, they'll go down fighting. unfortunately, however, her grotle's time is all but up.

POISON JAB strikes the final blow, knocking the grass type onto its knees with a pained grunt. a look of irritation crosses her features, then, and the command to keep going is on the tip of her tongue. instead, however, she'll offer nothing more than a set jaw and the flourish of a pokeball. grotle is recalled before more damage can be done.

"you did well," she whispers before tucking the now occupied device away. well but how many mistakes were made on her part? how many of those caused her pokemon pain? she has to cover any hesitation with a counter strike for he will not wait for her to be ready for this. no one will.

toxapex glances between the two opponents. they're worn down compared to her body, damage dealt by both herself and her teammate. would it be easy to finish them off? or more difficult given there's two against one now? illeana's weighing the options while toxapex shifts closer. and while there's a clear advantage, the scientist isn't sure if it's in her favor. perhaps that's what prompts her to narrow her eyes, to raise her chin a little higher in the face of possible defeat. "make it even," she murmurs. toxapex snarls and releases another VENOSHOCK, the poisonous liquid solely intended for pyu-pyu. there's a chance the tentacruel will take the brunt of the blow but it's a chance she'll have to take.

toxapex uses VENOSHOCK. MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits when the target is poisoned.
grotle is DEFEATED & RECALLED.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2020 15:55:16 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]pyu-pyu's role in any battle has always been simple and predetermined. she's the support; she ensures the success of her partner and protects them at all costs. that much has always said the same and this battle is no different. when the grotle finally falls, pyu-pyu takes the opportunity to SPLIT the PAIN. her higher health lowers to level with tentacruel, compensating the difference.

that is what seals her fate. alexander watches as the purple ooze of the VENOSHOCK drenches her and though tentacruel could have taken the attack just like the last time, all of them know that their best shot is with a healthy tentacruel. pyu-pyu falls and floats on the water; the faintest of bubbles escape her, possibly similar to a cry. she is swiftly recalled.

"it's on you, tekala." 

tentacruel abandons circling the patch of land toxapex stands on and instead summons a strong wave of a SURF that looks to envelop the poison-type. it also creates enough of a distraction for tentacruel to dive further into the water and move backwards, creating much needed distance. they'll fight this battle from afar.

alexander turns his attention back to illeana. there is almost an air of intensity around her that's unlike her. different in a way he cannot quite describe. but the more he observes the more it starts to fit her, like she was raised to do this. and that thought worries him.

"you're close, illeana."

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2020 18:26:48 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]the battle shifts away from a clear advantage on his end until it's an even match. one versus one, both pokemon similar in typing. how are they supposed to gain the upper hand when each move does little? her jaw sets in irritation, as if she should have decided on a different path. and yet, there's no redos, no refunds. there's only going forward and trying to emerge on top.

she doesn't give a reaction this time when pyu-pyu finally succumbs to defeat. instead, her face is almost blank, concentration on the next step, the next play overtaking anything else.

and yet, what he says to her as SURF rises like a tidal wave worms its way beneath her skin. you're close. it almost feels like a slap in the face in a way she can't quite place. maybe it's that she feels as though she's still so far from the finish line or that he's surprised she even made it this far. her eyes narrow as toxapex doesn't bother to shift out of the way of SURF. instead, she'll take the hit, tank her way through it. and then, she'll use it against him.

"use their water against them," she barks. there's no hesitation now, no fear, and her toxapex doesn't need anything else. the sea urchin is submerged beneath the water and it provides the perfect cover for the next strike. LIQUIDATION comes quickly with a strong current propelling the toxapex forward. she tries to slam into tentacruel, barbed limbs out for blood. sure, she might be playing into his hand but rushing them might prove to work in her favor. there's only one way to find out, however, and she's falling into silence as the battle continues to play out.

toxapex uses LIQUIDATION. MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits when the target is poisoned.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,830 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2020 15:19:46 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
[attr="class","devonpost"]"do the same," he retorts. the barbed limbs pierce through the BARRIER and dig into skin, causing the water-type to grimace from the pain. but one of her tentacles is already moving to retaliate as it suddenly grows similar looking barbs. tentacruel's MIRROR COAT allows her to inflict twice the amount of damage and perhaps it's this move that will decide the fate of the battle. whatever damage the toxapex inflicts will be reflected twofold.

how will illeana reyes overcome this obstacle?

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,103 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
high hopes
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2020 18:43:09 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]her face shifts into irritation as he murmurs for the same sort of reaction. and while her toxapex pierces through the barrier, it's not enough to cause much damage. annoying. she should have thought this through more carefully...

no sense in mulling over the mistakes she's already made now. there's only pushing forward, pushing through him and coming out on top.

"tank it," she doesn't bother to bark this command out. instead, it's a little softer. the toxapex doesn't care for her tone, however. she shifts into a defensive position and draws barbed limbs around herself. BANEFUL BUNKER is met with barbed tentacles. barbs clash against barbs and if she can't attack due to prioritizing defense, she can at least hope the tentacruel will cut itself on the poisoned barbs instead.

her features continue to display a mixture of irritation and focus, as if she can't allow any other reactions besides the ones she's schooled onto her face. he won't see her falter, not yet. not now.

toxapex uses BANEFUL BUNKER. MERCILESS allows all attacks to become critical hits when the target is poisoned.