orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
i'll wreck this if i have to; tell me, what good would that do?
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 9, 2019 7:21:23 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar
[attr="class","anotheronedark"]

tag
notes
i love route 113, orion hates it

Berry picking. Should be a nice, relaxing mission, right? Should be a cake walk, compared to his usual kind of jobs. It would be fine, they said, take a breather, Orion, you work too hard.

He's starting to wonder if that had been a cruel joke, or if he just had the world's worst luck.

He could believe either.

It's midday and the heat beats down upon the northern section of Route 111. The ash storms from the west occasionally fill the air with choking dust and make it hard to breathe. He'd crossed a damn desert to get here. Now he felt quite literally stuck between a rock and a hard place — or, more literally, a sweltering desert, a sweltering cave, and a miserable trek through the ash storms of Route 113.

There seems to be few people up here, however, and so he's surprised when he hears the approach of footsteps. Berry basket beside him, crouching in the loamy soil, Orion glances up and shields his eyes from the sun.

He's not much of a people person, but—

"Hey, are you in much of a hurry?" He doesn't wait for the reply before explaining, "Supposed to pick some berries for the Rangers but there's more of them than I thought and it's... ugh, really hot out here. We get to keep a portion of them and I'm more than happy to split the reward if it means getting out of the sun a little sooner."

His Weavile has been helping, but he's got to take special care that his claws don't pierce the soft-fleshed fruits, and so it's been slow-going work.

[attr="class","wizzcred"]❤ wizz

[newclass=".charactername"] [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername b"]color:#A490FF; font-weight:lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername i"]color:#A490FF; font-style:italic; [/newclass]
[newclass=".charactername a"]text-transform:uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2019 2:10:34 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[newclass=".adrianblock"]background-color:#1e1e1e; padding:20px; margin:0 auto; width:400px; min-height:200px; display:flex; border:5px solid #292929; } .adrianside { width:100px; height:250px; border-right:2px solid #292929; margin-top:22px; } .adrianside img { width:70px; border-radius:100px; margin-left:0px; border:5px solid #292929; filter: grayscale(100%); margin-top:50px; } .adriantag { background-color:#292929; color:#999; font:10px Playfair Display; letter-spacing:1px; width:80px; padding:5px; text-align:center; margin-left:-5px; margin-top:10px; } .adriantag b { color:#d99a34; } .adriantag a { color:#999 !important; font:10px Playfair Display; letter-spacing:1px; } .adrianpost { color:#999; font:10px Verdana; text-align:justify; padding:20px; width:260px; height:240px; } .adrianscroll { overflow:auto; height:250px; padding-right: 20px; margin-right:-20px; } .adrianscroll::-webkit-scrollbar { width:2px; background:#131313; padding:2px; border:none; } .adrianscroll::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background:#292929; border:none; } .adrianscroll b { color:#d99a34; } .adriancreds { height:8px; width:450px; margin:0 auto; color:#292929; font:10px roboto; text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:900; text-align:right; margin-top:0px;[/newclass]

[nospaces][googlefont=Roboto:400,900]

[attr="class","adrianblock"]

[attr="class","adrianside"]

[attr="class","adriantag"]#

[attr="class","adrianpost"]
[attr="class","adrianscroll"]Reluctant as he was to be trudging through soot caked tall grass, Adrian found himself rather excited to make the venture to Fallarbor Town, if only to see the sights. There was also tell of a Fossil Collector and Contest Hall, among other things. After finding a suitable vista to survey the landscape of Route 113 from however, Adrian had found the unique flora species to be the most intriguing aspect. That, and maybe the spinda aimlessly meandering about with a wobble to their step.[break][break]

As he came to walk along the established path, he soon found himself sharing the company of a few other travelers, whom he tried to give a respectful distance. Yet as they all neared a patch of bushes, a ranger stationed there greeted them with a request: Assist them in the collection of berries, and walk away with a small prize. Adrian hadn't ever seen berries quite like these before, and contemplated volunteering himself.[break][break]

The travelers ahead of him refused politely, making sure to excuse themselves due to the elements, more pressing matters, erc. And while it was true the area was none quite so hospitable as perhaps Verdanturf Town (or literally almost anywhere else,) it held a certain charm of its own. As the others filed away towards their respective destinations, Adrian was able to approach the lone ranger. "I'm in no hurry," he opened with cordially. "I can help a little." Letting out a light chuckle, he added "Think of it as my civic duty. Name's Adrian, by the way."[break][break]

Approaching the brush the ranger was tending to, he rummaged a hand through the dense foliage until his fingers found purchase on a soft, squishy growth. Working his fingers around the bulbous shape until he found the leafy end of a stem, he plucked the berry from the bush before inspecting it curiously. "That's one down." But he could not set it down anywhere, and in that moment decided to brandish one of his poke balls in order to improvise something. A vileplume was unleashed, and Adrian quickly knelt beside it, placing a hand upon one of its massive petals. "Hey, we need to collect some berries. I'll let you have some if you help out."[break][break]

Needless to say his pokemon seemed rather complacent with his request, and after a moment of instruction, Adrian was able to have his vileplume stretch its petals so that it formed a bowl for him to place berries within. There he would drop the lone berry he'd retrieved before turning to the ranger for further direction. "How much needs doin' yet?" Still his fingers deftly searched the bush before them, his vileplume searching the lower half, either of them tossing berries upwards into the makeshift basket that was vileplume's head.[break][break]

He glanced over at the weavile accompanying the stranger, eyeing it cautiously. Its claws unsettled him, but clearly the pokemon wasn't wild.

[attr="class","adriancreds"]coded by pie
close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2019 5:00:46 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes

Most of the passers-by seem disinterested; Orion can't really blame them, given his own distress about working in the ash and heat. He's about ready to wave them off and reluctantly go back to foraging by his lonesome when one of the trainers steps up to volunteer.

Orion doesn't do hugs, especially not with strangers, but to say he almost wanted to hug the man was enough proof of his gratitude. Instead, the ranger quirks his lips into a smile. He chuckles in return. "Will do. I'm Orion."

He's thinking to offer his own basket as a receptacle for the harvest — it'll halve the berries Orion himself is able to collect, and vice versa, but it's better than nothing — when the other man comes up with an ingenious idea. The ranger's eyes light up and the forced smile from earlier becomes a little more genuine as the Vileplume is released from its pokeball. He's busy enough admiring it that he forgets to offer, and that's when the Vileplume stretches its gorgeous petals into a makeshift basket for its trainer to utilize.

Adorable, Orion thinks. What he says: "That's... genius, actually. Nice thinking. As for how much we need to collect..." He surveys the berry bushes, which thrive in spite of the abysmal weather. There's no way they'd be able to collect them all, even with the two of them. Orion shrugs. "As many as we can stand to pick, I imagine. The more we get, the happier they are, the more we get to keep and the better the reward. That's usually how these jobs go, anyway."

He deposits a small handful of berries into his own basket and gives Chei a stern look, noticing the Weavile eyeing the berry its holding with intent. "And you can wait until we're done, buddy. Then I'll let you eat some." Chei grumbles, but drops the berry into the basket nevertheless.

[newclass=".wizzcred"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
[newclass=".wizzcred a"]font: monospace; font-size: 10px; color:#7a7a7a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 10, 2019 20:21:06 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar
[newclass=".adrianblock"]background-color:#1e1e1e; padding:20px; margin:0 auto; width:400px; min-height:200px; display:flex; border:5px solid #292929; } .adrianside { width:100px; height:250px; border-right:2px solid #292929; margin-top:22px; } .adrianside img { width:70px; border-radius:100px; margin-left:0px; border:5px solid #292929; filter: grayscale(100%); margin-top:50px; } .adriantag { background-color:#292929; color:#999; font:10px Playfair Display; letter-spacing:1px; width:80px; padding:5px; text-align:center; margin-left:-5px; margin-top:10px; } .adriantag b { color:#d99a34; } .adriantag a { color:#999 !important; font:10px Playfair Display; letter-spacing:1px; } .adrianpost { color:#999; font:10px Verdana; text-align:justify; padding:20px; width:260px; height:240px; } .adrianscroll { overflow:auto; height:250px; padding-right: 20px; margin-right:-20px; } .adrianscroll::-webkit-scrollbar { width:2px; background:#131313; padding:2px; border:none; } .adrianscroll::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { background:#292929; border:none; } .adrianscroll b { color:#d99a34; } .adriancreds { height:8px; width:450px; margin:0 auto; color:#292929; font:10px roboto; text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:900; text-align:right; margin-top:0px;[/newclass]

[attr="class","adrianscroll"]Adrian failed to suppress a smile as the ranger quipped at his Weavile. Delicately searching the bush for berries, he quickly decided to leave the last few berries go, lest they leave nothing behind for the indigenous population of pokemon. Taking a few short strides to an adjacent bush, him and his vileplume continued to work diligently, while the trainer tried to think of something else to say. Silence didn't suit him.[break][break]

"How long have you been a ranger for?" It seemed like an innocent question, nothing too dodgy about it, he hoped. Mostly it was just small talk, but he supposed his speculations weren't enough to satisfy his curiosity; was berry picking really a ranger's duty? He'd always imagined them deep in the wilderness, completing daring tasks and rescues. Though perhaps he was underestimating the worth of these berries to the association, and to pokemon in general. He turned one over in his hand, inspecting it carefully. It was much harder and salmon colored, hardly like what he expected of a typical berry. But he dropped it into his growing pile nonetheless.[break][break]

"I've only been here in Hoenn for just over a month. I haven't seen most of it yet, but..." he took pause to try and find his words. "I like it here. I'm sure the rangers do their fair share to keep it the way it is." Was he trying to thank the ranger Orion for his public service, however small or insignificant this task seemed? He wasn't so sure, perhaps now he was just rambling...[break][break]

As he absentmindedly rummaged through a bush, something dug across his frisky digits, causing him to inhale sharply through gritted teeth. "I think that was a thorn," he cursed lowly. "I'll just have to be more careful." Rampant paranoia struck him as he clutched at the afflicted finger, bringing it to his mouth to suckle away the blood before it stained his clothes. What if these were poisonous...? He tried to consider it for a moment, but deduced the ranger would probably have afforded them protective gloves if they were handling volatile goods.[break][break]

Vileplume kept dutifully plucking berries after casting a concerned sideways look his way, although it knew better than to try and help, being highly poisonous itself. Thankfully Adrian hadn't bled much, and the cut was mostly superficial, although damn did it itch and prickle. Once his digit stopped flowing with red, he resumed his task in earnest. "Where are you taking the berries to, anyways?" It only just crossed his mind he might have to accompany them the rest of the way if he was to claim his due prize.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 11, 2019 9:48:36 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes

He's grateful for the fact that they're both busy with plucking berries, for Orion stiffens at the other man's question. It's innocent enough, small talk between strangers, but what Adrian doesn't know, can't know, is the history behind it all.

"Couple years," he says, and that's the truth, but what he leaves out is how unusual it is for him to lack any distinction from his fellow rangers. He leaves out the crippling anxiety he'd needed to work through in order to graduate from training, and the fear he'd once possessed at taking on even the simplest job. It's then that it clicks—will this simple job give it away? Perhaps too quickly, he adds, "I do things like this for a break every now and then. It's a nice change of pace."

Yeah, sure. If they didn't have to deal with the ash, and the heat, and the prickling thorns that bit at the skin if one wasn't careful.

Truth he told, he'd thrown himself into his work as of late. He thinks the other rangers are worried about his dramatic shift from the timid new recruit into the cadet that suddenly volunteered for any job that came his way. He's eager to prove himself, and maybe they think he'll crash and burn, but he won't, he can't

He's relieved to listen to Adrian talk, if only because it provides a distraction from the pressure of his own mind. "They work hard," he agrees, rather proudly, on the subject of the rangers. Adrian cuts himself on a thorn, and Orion's sympathetic enough; he's come home from similar tasks with hands covered in tiny marks before. "I've got a first aid kit if they get you too bad," he informs the other. And then keeps talking, because it's easier than stewing in silence with his thoughts going wild. "I've never been outside of Hoenn. Where are you from?"

Weavile's found a favoured berry, holding it up to Orion with what he thinks might be a pleading look. His lip twitches, and he can't resist the Pokemon's pout. It looks silly on such an intimidating creature. He nods.

"We can drop them off at any Center and I'll text the delivery guy. Fallarbor works," he makes a face at the thought, but presses on, "but we'd need to cut through route 113 to get there fastest. There's the Fiery Path to Mauville, as well. But I'm not going back through the desert."

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 5:26:10 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

[attr="class","adrianscroll"]"Sinnoh." Memories of the rugged, mountainous region flood back through his mind. Memories that remind him of his time there as a kid, recklessly challenging Gym Leaders well beyond his caliber, finding fault in his abilities as a trainer. They weren't exactly the fondest of memories, but they were of home, and that brought a sort of happiness with it. Even if it left a bitter taste in his mouth. "It's a nice place. Mt. Coronet makes going anywhere on foot a pain, though."[break][break]

By now they had a modest pile accumulating atop vileplume's head, and Adrian had thinned out the bush he was currently tending to. Orion informed him where they would be taking the berries, and he gave a silent nod of approval. It was well enough for him, not so far out of the way, in fact it mostly kept him on track. "That's fair." He carried himself over to another bush, this time finding a delightfully squishy blue fruit; an Oran Berry.[break][break]

"I'd sooner take the path to Fallarbor as well," he agreed with the ranger. "That's the direction I was headed." The elements finally started to get to him, as a thin sheen of sweat began to make him feel clammy, his clothes sticking to him uncomfortably. If he went further past Fallarbor, then Adrian might even be able to visit the hot springs in Lavaridge Town. The idea tempted him, although he wondered if he could make the trip before nightfall... On foot? Perhaps not, but by arcanine...? He liked his odds.[break][break]

"So, what kinda missions have you been on? Anything daring-do?" Adrian figured most rangers would have an exciting tale or two to tell, of a time where they helped resolve some crisis or disaster. Something that sounded heroic when told properly, and would help to pass their time laboring under the sun. Plus, he'd always kind of held the ranger association in high regard, despite deferring to a different path himself.

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 8:15:27 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes

Orion doesn't know much about the other regions beyond what knowledge was common, but he does know that several favourite Pokemon of his were native to the region. A lot of evolutions had been first discovered there, too. He tilts his head at the mention of Mt. Coronet. Does it cover a lot of the region then? He finds himself looking away from the berry tree he'd been slowly harvesting to the looming shape of Mt. Chimney nearby. It's hard to imagine something he's never seen before. "Worse than Mt. Chimney?" he asks curiously, gesturing. "In your opinion, that is."

A quick glance at the small grove of trees and bushes proves them to be thoroughly searched by the pair. He appreciates that Adrian had, without any prompting or direction, left enough on each of the trees to ensure that the wild Pokemon wouldn't be left without. Orion had done the same, but it hadn't occurred to him that some trainers might not take that into consideration. He feels a sudden appreciation for the near-stranger at that, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"I think we've got enough," he declares, standing up and brushing leaves and loose twigs from his clothes. "Now we just have to get them to Fallarbor and we're done."

As they begin the trek toward the aforementioned town, Orion considers the question. Jobs start to blend together after a while, and he's so used to the sort of danger he'll be facing that they never seem so bad to him. "Well, there was that one time I had to help someone fend off a group of Mareanie with no Water-types of our own." He laughs at the memory, then breaks into a small coughing fit as he accidentally inhales a bit too much of the choking ash. His eyes are watering when he recovers, and he swipes at them with the back of his hand. "That was... interesting. Not exactly scary, but interesting. I've gone on a few ghost hunts. Battled a lot of rogue Pokemon."

It's getting harder and harder to see through the ash clouds, and he's thankful that he knows the route well enough to navigate in spite of this. "What about you?" he inquires, turning to Adrian and canting his head. "You're a trainer, I'm guessing? I imagine you've seen some action."

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 20:08:06 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

[attr="class","adrianscroll"]"It's taller, but it's no volcano." In the way that Mt. Coronet was a treacherous climb, Mt. Chimney was something worse, a trench of magma roiling with destructive power. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't nervous to be walking so close to it, and yet he was assured it posed no immediate danger. But even still...[break][break]

"You think so?" Adrian didn't have any objections, he just wanted to be certain they'd gathered enough. He didn't fancy the idea of coming back here to finish the job. But the ranger seemed resolved, and so he and vileplume filed over to him, that they might make the journey to Fallarbor Pokemon Center. It was at this point they decided to relent on his inquiry, regaling him with a bit of a tale from his ranger days past. They had befallen quite ill circumstances it seemed, but emerged victorious nonetheless, which was admirable.[break][break]

Orion broke into a coughing fit as the ash began to grow heavier in the air. "You alright?" Their face had grown rosy, their eyes dazzling with water as they teared up, his expression strained. Even Adrian could feel a tickle in his throat, despite his shallow breathing. "Is it always like this?" It must've been quite a drag to live here, he supposed. Or maybe the people of Fallarbor were used to it by now. Their path took them along the route for a ways while he followed just past Orion's side, lagging behind with his pokemon.[break][break]

He was slightly surprised when Orion asked him about his adventures as a trainer. "Well, I started in Sinnoh, obviously." He remembers taking up his first Gym Challenge, and failing miserably. In his defense, he was just a child, but then so were some of the great prodigies when they first found their calling in being a pokemon trainer. He decided to tell him of anything but, lest he embarrass himself.[break][break]

"But that was a long time ago. When I was traveling through the desert though, I found a pupitar. Honestly surprised I caught the damned thing; you should see how they move!" He gave an abrupt laugh before dropping the topic. There wasn't much to his story yet, being honest, but there was many a page left unwritten. He still had the time to change that.[break][break]

"How far is Fallarbor, anyway?"

close tab

played by

thorn

orion
he/him
thirty
august 9th
lilycove
homosexual
ranger
elite
awards
1,144 posts
Orion Lykos DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @orion
Orion Lykos
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 21:23:29 GMT
Orion Lykos Avatar

tag
notes
feel free to mod req after your next post! we'll have the 5 posts each then <3

As he recovers from the bought of coughing, Orion manages a quick nod to affirm that he's all right. He doesn't come this way if he doesn't have to, and he should have perhaps remembered to be a little more careful about how much of the ash he inhaled. It coated the back of the throat and created a wholly unpleasant tickling, dry sensation.

"M'fine," he manages, when he thinks he'll be able to talk without breaking into another hacking bout. "Just inhaled too much, I think. And yeah it's — pretty rough on this part of the route." He's no geologist, but Orion's guess would be that this was the area where most of the ash ended up. "It won't be so bad once we get closer to town."

Time passes quicker when there's conversation to fill the miserable trek through the ash, at least, and he's content to listen as Adrian tells him about a particular desert capture he was proud of. And he should be, as far as Orion knew. "They're rare, aren't they? That's a really lucky find. And impressive that you managed to catch it, given the desert." He shakes his head, and it's abundantly clear by his expression what he thinks of deserts. He doesn't like the cold much, but he'd take it over the damnable heat any day.

"We're coming up on it now, actually. Just gotta take this little path here," he scuffs his foot on the hardened dirt, "and we'll be in business. The Pokemon Centre's just on the edge of town. Ah, there is it, see?" He gives Adrian a genuine smile as they enter the building and he hands off the delivery to the courier. "Thanks again for your help. It'd have taken me ages alone."

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
2,406 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2019 21:44:44 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

[attr="class","adrianscroll"]"I guess they are, I've heard they're uncommon even around Mt. Coronet." Hopefully the other trainer didn't think of him the boastful sort, having elected to tell him of the chance encounter purely to offer an insight into some of his feats. But they seemed to think nothing of it beyond congratulating him, which helped steer the conversation somewhere safer. Soon enough they were coming up on Fallarbor Town, Orion pointing a digit to single out the Pokemon Center for Adrian.[break][break]

"I see it!" He nearly shouts it full of enthusiasm, demonstrating just how little he appreciated the downpour of ash. Vileplume gave a shrill cry as well, relieved to know it could unfurl its petals sooner rather than later. As they came up to the center and entered, Orion helped unload the berries and handed them over to their courier.[break][break]

Orion turns to thank him, which has Adrian consciously scratching at the nape of his neck with one hand, having difficulty accepting thanks. Especially when he'd done it under promise of a reward. "Don't sweat it, man." He tried to feign modesty and indifference, although truly he was waiting around for the reward. "It was a pleasure, plus I got something out of it myself." After receiving a small parcel from their courier, he waved goodbye to Orion, departing for Lavaridge Town.[break][break]

"You take are now," he said in parting. "And try not to hack up a lung," he finished with a teasing smile before disappearing through the sliding door, back out into the soot-coated wilderness.

close tab

played by

spiral

SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
HE/HIM
AUGUST 12
DISCORD
SHIV-SAMA-O
SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
SHIV-SAMA-O
IS MY GIRLFRIEND
777 height
777 height
THE GREATER THE DESPAIR THE SWEETER THE VICTORY
awards
5,178 posts
SPIRAL DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @spiral
SPIRAL
haze [m]
POSTED ON Nov 13, 2019 3:45:00 GMT
SPIRAL Avatar
[attr="class","reward"]mission complete!
[attr="class","reward2"]you receive the following: 50 poke, 5 infamy, one two week berry (redeem in site shop)!