Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
over and over and over the rainbow [OPEN; SOCIAL]
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 9:57:08 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
The captain had laughed at him.

"Who wants to go to Hoenn?" Had been spat in his face, a deep laugh following it. It must have been funny enough. Soon, he was on the cargo ship as half nuisance and half cook for the trip. It reminded him vaguely of stowing away as a teenager, young and stupid and full of hurt. Idiot.

But he kept his head down and soon enough he was back on land, left on his own and in the place he thought he would never return to. Chu-e Choi gazed idly over the shipyard and watched a few of the sailors unloading their cargo.

Slow steps took him toward the larger city. Anyone who got a good look at him could tell there had been... sickness. He was pale and frothy, a distinct shake to the palms. A very obvious mark under his left eye, the eye itself a more faded color than the right. His hands were stuffed in his pocket and a small backpack hanging off his arm.

For anyone kind they might see a man in need of a little guidance. Anyone else might see a fine target. But which would he find?
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
slithers of wistful window gazes glint in borrowed light
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 11:53:48 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

https://i.imgur.com/XP1mgIK.jpg
roughly two years ago she had participated in a mission - one of her very first - when the city was overrun and civilians and the league-affiliated were slaughtered in equal measure. she had been naught more than a foot soldier at the start of her career, having only acquired the rank of 'officer'. cait had been injured in the midst of the chaos, the scars faint and barely of note. 

she stood in the midst of the crowd, quiet and contemplative as she took in her immediate surroundings. the scenery was different yet the same, her memories clashing somewhat with what she saw and what she recalled. 

'everything's cleaner now,' she noted.

cait remembered debris in large quantities and the remnants of where bodies had lain.

'in abundance.' 

she resisted the urge to nervously lick her lips, deciding to turn her attention to the number of people who originated from a freshly docked ship. fixating upon it, she'd approach what appeared to be a pale-skinned young man. there was an inquiry at the tip of her tongue, but she paused when she realized he appeared sick. 

"excuse me? can you tell me where you're from?"

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
words drip like honey dear how sweet it is to hear
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 12:25:54 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
It took him a moment to even realize he was being spoken to. A blink, slow, then his eyes dragged up to meet the person who decided to approach. Quiet for a few beats too long before glancing away, licking his own dry lips.

"Kalos." He paused, voice rough from lack of use. "Sinnoh. Kanto." A hum. "Do you know if Arthur... the Mossadeep City Gym Leader is still alive?" Was he the Gym Leader still? His shoulders hunched inwards slightly, more self conscious of that question. He glanced around again, to avoid her eyes.

"It's cleaner than it used to be." The last he had seen this place it was nothing but burning ruins. Chu-e was not aware that thought reflected the one the young woman had been thinking moments before.
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 12:41:51 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she discreetly took the man in - noting his features that led her to believe he possessed asian ancestry. he appeared young, likely somewhere in his mid to early twenties if her guesswork was to be relied upon. his skin was pale, though she wasn't entirely certain if the unhealthy parlor merely betrayed sickness. the angles of his face was sharp, his body slender and his overall coloring a distinct shade.

cait struggled with placing the accent, though she decided against investing too much thought into it; as it was ultimately irrelevant. 

"'arthur of mossdeep," she parroted.

the name wrung a very faint bell - it was one that hadn't been mentioned in over a year - perhaps even longer than that. 

"
i'm afraid they're not in the league's employ at the moment. mossdeep's gym leader is ."

she considered the man before her, her strange gaze narrowing a fraction with suspicion.

"
you've been here before," she said, a hint of a frown tugging at the corners of her lips.  

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 14:42:26 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
"I don't know who that is." His own frown pinched his face, a quick look of something like sorrow in his eyes before it was neatly stored away. "Arthur was, uh..." Took his hands out of his pockets, scarred and rough things, and absently twisted a plain golden band around his finger. She had sharp eyes. He figured she could put two and two together.

"I used to live here before Kalos. When Slateport wasn't so clean." This time he finally met her eyes and they were almost imploring. He had seen those bodies, too. The difference between them was that he had been the cause of a lot of them. Would she know that? From looking over his pathetic state? It had been.. a long time ago. Long still since what he had done in Kanto.

"Do you.... uh... need something? I need to find a hotel." His pause was not from lack of confidence, but as if he needed a moment to remember what word he was searching for. Eyebrows knitted, lips pursed, there was an air of confusion about him before it lifted, only lasting a second or two at most. Yes, clearly some type of unwell.
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 15:08:34 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

cait considers him - and had she been like herself in months past she'd have done naught more than smile apologetically and let him go. but her mind sharpens as she fixates, her eyes having caught briefly on the wedding band. 

"
before i let you go - i'd like to see your identification and ask you a few questions."

she stood straighter, carrying the discipline she had earned as a trained lieutenant of two years and a gym leader and political lead of one.

"it's merely a formality. checks tend to happen at random nowadays, especially for the newly arrived."

her tone is firm, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. but the grin fails to reach her gaze, an apparent lack of sympathy present as she addresses him. 

"kanto, you said?"

cait laughs a little at that, reaching into her pocket to produce her wallet and reveal her identification. her credentials were high, the experience she had accumulated granting her a decent amount of power over the common man. he'd see she held rank - considered a league member who had earned such a privilege. 

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 15:37:18 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
For what it was worth, even when the woman pulled on her strings and tightened her screws, Chu-e did not look the least bit intimidated or even impressed. It was just that same kind of impassiveness as he had had before. Like staring into a doll's or corpse's eyes. He did, vaguely, glance over the ID, eyes catching on the rank. He snorted, lightly, but slowly pulled off his backpack and reached inside.

"You don't have to beat around the bush. I'm damaged, not stupid." And he handed her an ID... followed by a second. Two of them. "I know your type, too. You've been through shit. I get that."

The first ID was in rougher shape, the name 'Chu-e Choi' printed on top. There was a mark there, from Kanto, one she might know given her rank... Rocket. Someone venerated from the invasion. In high standing. His own proof of power for those who wanted to question him.

The second was also an older ID but crisper. Hadn't been used as much, by assumption. Inside was a Ranger ID as well, and a quite high one at that... but with the style and seal from Sinnoh. The name 'Ji-Hoon Ki' printed on this one. Other than a few details like date of birth, the IDs both has pictures of him in there. Younger. Not as clearly sick and beaten down.

"Just remember that people like me have to be the villain to help people like you be the hero." And if she had the means to search, the Ranger ID would come up a match... that somewhere in the Sinnoh system there was a 'Ji-Hoon Ki' with matching credentials. She could find it easily. It was there. "I just... I'm retired. I just want to see if my husband is still alive."

And oh, in that moment, he looked so tired. But, really, what was the truth?
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 16:18:35 GMT
cait alfric Avatar

she holds her tongue, merely staring at the identification that had been offered. his words served as inflammatory background noise, one which threatened to try her patience.

"..."

memories of the invasion returned in full, the sight of bodies torn asunder occupying the foreground of her mind. cait's features became increasingly blank, her mind warping back to those moments. the chaos that had been wrought had been massive - the losses significant. it had taken so much to rebuild and restore the infrastructure economy of slateport in the immediate aftermath.

'and we're still recovering years later.'

she feels sick.

"'people like me have to be the villain to help people like you be the hero.'"

she was suddenly quiet, her gaze downcast. the young woman trembled beneath his gaze as her breath hitched, a rare rage beginning to bubble forth as it threatened to overwhelm her. 

"you made a mistake returning to hoenn. your lot belong in kanto, until you're either imprisoned or purged."

the young woman's gaze snapped onto him and he'd find that her eyes - already strange - had narrowed in an animalistic fashion. there is venom present with her tone of voice, her loathing seeping through. 

"
if your husband is... alive," she said, struggling to maintain her professionalism. "he'll be informed that you've been incarcerated. retired or not, you're rocket-affiliated - and a risk to the general population. is that understood?"

cait shut her eyes and breathed, desperate for a high to better soothe her nerves. but she was out or her pre-rolled supply - which was unfortunate.   so she merely grit her teeth, tentatively reaching out to celebi for aid.

"
but i suppose that husband of yours could be rocket as well."

she appears strangely satisfied by this once an idea comes to mind, her mood lifting by a decent margin. 

"
regardless, he'll be thoroughly interrogated if found and subsequently charged due to his failure to report. for the good of hoenn and its people."

a tiny smile returns to her lips - utterly genuine. 

"
your 'ar-thur.'

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 17:23:43 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
"Ugh." He huffed and rolled his eyes. Just who was this 'Cait' anyway? She was kind of... unnerving in her own way. In a way he hadn't felt since the ballroom over two years ago. "You're really bad at subtext. Are you really one of the best that Hoenn has to offer...?" He said the last part almost to himself. But he leaned in, slowly, lowered his voice. "I might have been with them but that doesn't mean I stopped being with you" He glanced briefly at the Ranger ID badge he had also handed her. "And I failed. Does it make you feel good to make me say it? To know a whole region is gone because-" And now his voice shook, just a little, with some deep pain before he swallowed it down.

Another slow movement. His bag taken off and offered to her. Pockets tipped out to show they were empty. "Feel free to give me a cavity search." Bitten out, quiet. And Chu-e raised to her strange, strange eyes and met them head on with his own. Body weak but his own eyes all flint and steel, drawn into his own reserve of confidence.

And here it was. He had revealed what he had used to be- but also what he claimed he was. He had handed over everything to her- Pokemon, items, anything that could be potentially used to escape. There was no way he could physically fight her or run in his state. He was sure she knew it just as much as he did. She had all the cards in this situation.

"You can arrest me if it makes you feel better. It won't change that I couldn't keep Rocket out of Hoenn. Won't change that I couldn't keep Kanto from falling. If you think I should spend what time I have left in a jail because I couldn't keep this place safe, I'll accept that, Miss Alfric."

So he lifted his hands up in front of him, wrists limp, for if she wanted to cuff him or restrain him right then and there. He would not look away from her as she might assess him, look at him, do what she thought needed to be done. If she chose to arrest him, he would also not resist in that, not have some trick up his sleeve in a last ditch effort.

Because he was tired.

And maybe what he was saying was the truth. Maybe he had been a double agent for the League all this time, had really tried to do better for them and was one of many who couldn't secure them victory. Would a man not more cornered as he was try to run or escape? To beg or plead?

But oh, he was so, so tired.
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2020 18:03:04 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait raised a hand and snapped her fingers, the hulking shape of a gengar appearing at her immediate right. the ghost bore his teeth in a characteristically wicked grin, raising his paws and making grabbing motions in chu-e's direction. once she gestured, the pokemon moved to confiscate the man's personal effects. 

he'd phase through flesh and bone and claim the material items with a practiced ease, soon bouncing three capsules within his palm. the rocket's possessions were surprisingly meager, the woman appearing incredulous as gengar held up each for visual assessment.

'no weapons. aside from his companions. and there's only three here instead of six.' 

"where are the rest of your pokemon?"

she appeared to be feigning deafness in the wake of his bemusing words, focusing on her personal duty as an officer above all else. 

"gen-gengar."

the ghost-type made a game of juggling the minimized pokeballs, seeking to perhaps impress his mistress. he'd always been fond of her in this way, and had transitioned into becoming a constant and steadfast companion in the wake of her past abduction.

"
not now, gengar. focus on our objective."

it irked her that she had to reprimand her companion at this particular moment, but cait's words remained surprisingly light despite her foul mood.

"
you're welcome to be as conspiratorial as you wish," she said, finally commenting on his earlier words. "and if whatever you say is true - and i highly doubt it is - then you need only contact your handlers to release you. or - if you can reach someone above my respective rank to personally vouch for you - i'll let you go and you need not worry about a cozy cell."

she remained in front of him, his personal items remaining within her gengar's grasp.

"
does that sound fair to you, mister choi?"

her voice was patronizing, a fake sweetness dripping from it as she played along. 

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 5:21:11 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
"The rest...? These are all the pokemon I have." Which was not a lie. "Any of my old pokemon are living better lives without me." Which, did make him frown a little. The one shining spot had always been his pokemon. He doted on them more than what most people probably expected for someone like him. Slowly he lowered his arms to his sides again, already growing weary.

"Those three are for therapy." Another pause. "... keep them with you. They'll not like your Gengar. They're soft. Which..." and he glanced at the Gengar and the back to her. "Your pokemon is just trying to cheer you up. No need to scold it." And something like disapproval showed on his face at this.

"If the police are as 'kind' as you have been, there won't be much left by the time Sinnoh gets their heads out of their asses." Yet he still shrugged, moved to step past her. His steps were still shaky. "Come on. Won't get to wherever you're taking me by blowing kisses to one another on the docks all day."
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 5:39:45 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
"
wait."

she raised a hand, commanding him to halt. the young woman's intuition as a healer was very quickly coming into play - and while she had noted his faltering state at the very beginning of their encounter, she had prioritized making sure he was properly secured and no longer a threat.

'he's sick,' she noted. 

it was perhaps the sea that had caused it, but she speculated that there was more to it. 

"
before i surrender you to the local authorities, i need to make sure you're medically treated."

cait had no intention of burdening the police men and women of slateport with a sick prisoner.

"
is it seasickness or something else, mister choi?"

gengar maximized his ralt's pokeball, spinning it upon the tip of his finger with ease.    

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 8:14:21 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
For her merit, he did listen at least. A grunt and a wince at suddenly making himself stop, but he did nonetheless.

"Something elss. Don't worry about it, Miss Alfric." And now there was a bit of reluctance, hands tightening and relaxing from fists. But he sighed, grasped the edge of his shirt in the end and hiked it up the best he could.

Deep scars, puckered and shiny, stretched over his torso. The most prominent, and largest, was one down his side and one on his chest. After letting her get a quick look, he dropped his shirt. The scars had been jagged and ugly, obviously not medicial, but the healing had been clean as if from a hospital.

"They took...." And he paused again, like he had before, that loudly and sort of faraway look on his face before he shook his head, rubbed his face and took another step forward, looking vaguely confused as he glanced around. Then he blinked and was back, frowning. "Nevermind."
close tab

played by

y o y o

cai
she/her
twenty-three
may 15
fortree
bisexual
herbalist
civilian
sénon game
engaged
596 height
596 height
awards
2,558 posts
cait alfric DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cait
cait alfric
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 11:11:51 GMT
cait alfric Avatar
cait peered at the scarring, her disapproval written all over the freckled features of her face. 

'shoddy work,' she thought. 

but she couldn't be surprised, her personal opinion of rocket-affiliated were doctors rather poor. 

'the healing here is mediocre at best. passable - but not to my personal standards. i do my best to minimize scarring when i work.' 

she'd move around him in a tight circle, merely settling before the lithe man and appearing contemplative once his shirt fell back in place. had they been fresh, his present state wouldn't be terribly surprising. yet - 

"
don't start something and expect not to finish it. especially in front of me, mister choi."

taking into consideration where the scars were placed, cait took an educated guess that something of relative importance had been removed, altered or was still on the mend. 

"
whoever worked on you needs to have their license taken or their credentials re-evaluated. i'd never let someone walk out in your state."

close tab

played by

yams

Ji-Hoon Ki
they/he
twenty seven
june fifteenth
solaceon, sinnoh
queer
intel
---
can i
call you tonight?
5'8" height
5'8" height
awards
2,578 posts
Chu-e Choi DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @choi
Chu-e Choi
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2020 12:03:48 GMT
Chu-e Choi Avatar
"I'll let the surgeons from Lumiose National Medical Center know they did a shit job." His voice was dry as he said it. Idly he rubbed his side, the scarred one, though his shirt. There was a story there he wasn't telling, that much was clear.

"Can we go now? I don't mean to rush you, but I'm not going to be able to banter with you much longer at this rate." And, yeah. After that last weird little episode he looked even more exhausted than before, like he could barely stay on his feet. So what if he had left the medical center early? He would be... passable.

"If you want to interrogate me some more, do it while I'm still lucid." He sighed and rubbed his face again, pinching the bridge of his nose like his head was hurting. "Maybe if you even ask real nice, I'll tell you some dastardly secrets. Or maybe I'll make some shit up. Not like you would believe me anyway."

He started walking again, that idle pace, even taking the time to wait up and make sure she followed. "If they release me, I'm tracking you down." And he said it like a threat. Low and dark. "And when I find you, you're taking me to the most expensive restaurant you know. And I'm ordering a steak bigger than my head. I won't be able to finish it, but that doesn't matter, because you'll pay for it." And he didn't smile but there was a bit of mischief there. If she thought he was a villain, what would be the harm in fucking with her a little?