4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 10:38:08 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She might’ve wondered if it was odd for him to take public transport, but a lot of things weren’t occurring to her that should have.

The ride did not contain any further information on the matter. It was something he’d have to see. It did, however, contain some drunken looks of flirtation and banter. She was excited. It could have easily been misconstrued, again—or, perhaps, it was not entirely to be mistaken. Perhaps there was something to it. Her eyes certainly said yes.

They arrived to an apartment complex at 1919 Relic St. It was humble but not bad, at least by Lulu’s standards—which were admittedly quite low, as she had slummed it quite a bit for years.

Upon reaching the stoop, a fairy appeared out of the pocket of her coat. The mute Klefki jingled its keys excitedly at a new face. It was the most friendly of Lulu’s pokemon, by far, and also the most enthusiastic. It continued to rattle with frantic joy as it attempted to compose itself to do its one single job, which it took much pride in, thank you. The proper key fit into the lock and the door swung open for them, to reveal a growling, mean looking Houndoom.

“Tsh.” A quick noise silenced it and it stepped back, impeccably trained.

Sparks danced across metal bodies in another room from a couple of Magneton, which became visible when she flicked on the light and stepped in. “Forgot what a mess it was, sorry.” When he was inside, she’d deadbolt the door behind them. A solid habit, clean through any inebriation.

Lulu had no furniture, really. What was meant to be a living room was a workshop, littered with gadgets in various states of disassembly, chips, boards of all sizes, metal casings of different shapes and materials, cords, wires… a nightmare of technology in progress. A workbench wrapped around the room entirely, but could hardly contain the amount of shit that was strewn everywhere.

Just as eye-catching would be the notes that were hung so crowded on the walls, they were like headache-inducing wallpaper. Long electrical formulas stretching from room corner to corner, scribbled out in strange cubical writing which was clearly not the work of someone functioning normally. Different pages seemed to schizophrenically switch the direction that they leaned in, as though she switched hands as she wrote, perhaps when one got tired. There were no spaces between anything—everything was a string of information without breaks. It looked downright cryptic to the untrained eye.

In a corner were several rifle cases, although closed and perhaps not noticeable amongst all of the other things going on in the room.

Lulu drunkenly kicked a few things out of the way and headed for the kitchen, towards quite possibly one of the most monstrous computers in Slateport. A handful of screens angled down at a comically cheap looking chair. She walked past it and a half-full bottle of tequila on the kitchen counter. Beside it sat a deck of cards and a gleaming pistol, both of which she shoved into a drawer before fishing through the cabinets for a couple of glasses.

“Em.. wanna drink?” As though they needed more.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 11:21:21 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]A night out devolves into a quick pickup—simple.

Good vibes carry the intention to release pent up stress with a consolation of two lonely hearts, all hedged on mutual attraction. At least, that’s the premise Fernando had gauged that their drinking and teasing would inevitably lead onto.

Imagine his surprise at the spontaneous trip through half the region just to make it home by daybreak.

Thankfully, Fernando’s standard for acceptable is as low as his expectations for the League—near non-existent. Her abode, stickily as it is, doesn’t bother him in the slightest. It’s a bit quirky, admittedly, but he keeps an open mind, uncaring as he nurses his temple with a spare hand.

Quite the digs, Lulu.

None of it strikes as offkey as he lumbers past the Houndoom, cautious to the point of readjusting his own Pokeballs. It’s the way everything starts to sink in once he wades past a few steps, drowning in the details, that he surmises that the house owner is short of normal. This isn’t the setup of someone who lives the same life as her neighbors and the complex.

This is someone a cut above, someone who has no right being an unknown, someone he should know about.

Being neck deep in her domain, a territory where she sets the rules, leaves him harrowingly sober. Whatever fatal attraction that convinces Silph to board the Corviknight Taxi is now screaming for him to abort, to toggle all his Pokeballs in tandem, and to hold her accountable for the mechanisms that lay strew about her apartment.

Only if you make up for how little you drank back at ‘Scope.” There’s an edge in having her continue. His judgement lies on that he’s much too inebriated to handle things now. He knows this. But widening the gap between them will only serve him better. The further she falls the easier it is for him to crawl his way out.

Don’t think I didn’t catch you skipping shots.

His voice and acting never betrays him. Fernando’s wit is as sharp as his distrust but the alcohol bleed through his expression. There’s a bitter smile, teasing her with a devious accusation in his tone.

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.spiral b]color: #90c1f9[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 11:46:41 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

In her intoxication, it was true that Lulu had not considered the length of their journey. Oh, well.

At his comment she shrugged. “It’s uh… something I guess.” She scratched her head. “Get me a couch eventually, I think. Or just move, maybe.” She needed more space. It was a month by month, and she was already considering a transition. She was now paid too well to live this poorly.

She found the glasses after a minute. “Yeah, yeah, I’ll catch up.”

While she’d had her back turned, one of her most prized recent creations walked out from behind a microwave, attracted to sound and movement. Its infrared eyes blinked—a purely aesthetic feature—and settled on Fernando, his face reading as unfamiliar. Its six legs moved towards him. A small bug robot.

She turned with the glasses, having put ice in them, and then looked at the metal device that had come to life on the counter.

“This is my child.” She joked, scooping it up in her hand and showing it to him. It stowed the man’s face away into a database. Lulu, however, was not paying attention to its purposes. She seemed almost affectionate over it. She smiled wide, setting it back down and pouring tequila over ice which she then handed to him as though nothing was amiss or abnormal.

The robot, about the size of two almonds stacked longwise, was then put into the same drawer she’d stuffed the last two things into. “Right. Down to business.” Damning words, perhaps. To counter a killjoy sentence, she tipped the bottle up to her lips for several counts, waggling her eyebrows at him pointedly.

She then walked around him and slid into the chair. Upon the computer’s powering on, Fernando would witness an entirely unique operating system which Lulu had created herself. It was dark and sleek, and the process of signing in was extensive.

Everything was already there, as it had been her plan for the evening to pick up where she’d left off the night prior. There were three Porygon on separate screens—a first generation, a Porygon2, and a Porygon-Z. On three more screens were endless lines of code. “I’ve been reading the differences, trying to figure out how to fix it.” In reference to the Porygon-Z. She sipped her drink, not looking back at him, mesmerized as she scrolled slowly through, waiting to see if he would give any input.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 12:04:28 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]Huh?

What?

Fernando stares back at the bug with vexed interest. The red flags just start popping up one by one, this one literally climbing toward him until she scoops it up. “Interesting,” he feigns, masquerading just how weird the whole situation is regressing.

So, you’re an engineer? Inventor?” He comes up with applicable excuses to feed her the narrative himself. For some, being exposed like this is all a bad decision they’re unaware of. When the clarity hits that’s when all hell breaks loose. That’s why he tries to appease her, give her an ‘out’, before it all comes together.

He takes the glass but doesn’t go for it. Not until she does. At this point, Fernando urge to drink, much less partake in anything, comes second to his innate sense of danger. Even the flush, still blossomed into a rosy pink, becomes nothing more than body warmth. He’s almost put together.

His eyes narrow at the computer screen. Some of it, he can make out, most of it nothing more than jumbled letters and syntax he can’t be bothered to remember. could decipher it, perhaps, but his own adequacies never go past anything too advance. His specialty, as stated before, was management. Handling the actual contents eludes him.

Fix what, exactly?

[newclass=.spiral]text-align: justify;font-family:calibri;font-size:14px; margin: 0 auto; width: 300px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 12:23:27 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

She thought for a moment and then shrugged. “I dunno, I guess. Been freelance I.T. for a while. Decided I needed new projects, so I've been tryin' my hand at different things.” Word vomit. Also, utterly ridiculous. Fitting for the occasion.

Having sat the bottle down on the desk beside her drink, Lulu forgot the glass which she’d taken one sip out of and opted for the bottle without realizing. She then lit a cigarette from a pack which sat on the desk.

A finger went up to point at the Porygon-Z. “Watch.” Her fingers were a blur. She was fast, and it was almost as though her fingers themselves were sober. She made no mistakes.

As she worked, some of the glitches in the pokemon would begin to disappear. It twitched about in the screen less. Then, she got to a section of the code which had been giving her great trouble. It switched languages suddenly—one that she had failed over and over to decipher piece by piece. “This.” Too drunk to assess that she had thrown Fernando into uncharted territory, she continued to seek his input. “I’ve been coding for a long time, and I’m stumped on this. It doesn’t match these other two.” She gestured to the previous generations.

She finally looked up at him, blowing smoke out of the side of her lips and blinking to solidify his figure. She hiccupped. “Have you ever tried repairing one?” ‘You’ meaning Silph Co as a whole, but it would be up to his interpretation.

Her Houndoom entered the room, eyeballing the man and then going to lie at the wheels of her chair.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 12:40:10 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Ah. Make sense.

Bullshit. What kind of dogfaced lie is that? Still, it tells him more than it should. The fact she has to lie about this just means whatever she’s up to, whatever all this is, is something she needs to keep under key and lock. Why she would invite him of all people to come here? He has no idea, but his paranoia pricks at his exposed skin like well seasoned goosebumps.

Liquor keeps him still and his face remains as stone-gazed as before—practice makes perfect.

Of course,” he breaths a sigh and fiddles with the Pokeballs on his belt. Third from the left for his standard belt, give or take. That one should be his Porygon.

Should.

Porygons are constructed from code, yes, which means you can alter them to a degree. But they’re still living and breathing Pokemon.

It’s a guess at what she’s trying to do based off his own knowledge. With context, it isn’t hard to piece it together, but his assumption goes solely off context. Watching her fingers blitz across the keyboard is more dizzying than impressive, much too fast for him to keep up with.

If you want to take out the RNG variable from Porygon-Z you’re better off not evolving your Porygon2. If you’re looking to patch it for the latest firmware then you’ll have to find one willing to give you a copy of its SILPH KEY.

He clicks his tongue.

We don’t offer those publicly anymore.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 13:14:52 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Ah. Life. Of course.

Lulu's biggest drawback was its own metaphor for her mechanical disposition. As far as Lulu’s knowledge of technology extended, that of pokemon and their powers was sorely limited. She was a decent trainer. She had two gym badges under her albeit illegitimate belt, but it was not her calling. When it came to experiments in the lab, most business which involved research of an organic nature was delegated to other experts.

This hole in her knowledge was, perhaps, the missing link to Lulu’s becoming a prime weapon for ultimate domination. Unfortunately, an early lack of interest would likely have already costed her--and anyone interested in her--the fruition of her true potential. She was rather shoddy at focusing on things that didn’t didn't align with her specific talents. Technology had fully captivated her. The way her brain worked, there was no shifting from that. A nearly inhuman tunnel vision was both her greatest strength and her gravest weakness.

For this reason, greatness required a large missing puzzle piece. The additional knowledge. Another brain to store it for her, explain it to her. Perhaps she was this missing puzzle piece for so many others. Team Rocket had certainly been utilizing her to the fullest. At twenty-five, she had already scaled to the top of two major crime syndicates, still somehow alive, anonymous, and evolving. To many, there was no price for Lulu, Fiona, Saoirse, whoever she was. And she was like a ghost to nearly all of them.

Lulu listened carefully. No, she didn't require someone else's updates. She wanted to fix this one. Then again, an easy upgrade was perhaps a dumb thing to turn down. What a time for reason to step in. Her eyes flashed at him with a small smile that then read clearly: she wanted something. The bottle came up to her lips again and she tilted her head at him. “Don’t you call the shots, though?”

The look on her face was smiling, devious. Her slur sounded like an attempt at seduction, almost. She watched him with a gaze that drifted in distance and clarity, and this was visible in her face. Her computer chair turned towards him and she took a puff of her cigarette. It was unclear what she expected of Fernando. She was momentarily as cryptic as her scrawl. Maybe an air of mystery. Maybe an air of just piss drunk.

Eventually, she concluded, “I bet I could crack it.” With time. Just watch, her eyes said. Another daring swig. She bit her tongue at him like a snake, cocky. More than he'd seen.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 22:35:05 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“I do.

Whatever hit she tries to put on him misses its mark. Caught in a game of darts, her drunken stupor causes the metal pin to bound off the bar wall, leaving Fernando to step up for his turn. His throw is immaculate, a sober calculation waned from whatever wanton lust he had for venting his drunken wiles.

How many of your friends lend you a couple hundred grand?

Attraction, longing, lust—they all mean nothing to him when the urge isn’t reciprocated. The act of conquest, of satisfying the validation that someone else wants you just as bad as you do them, is the mental check he needs to proceed. Physical standards be damned (near non-existent for a Silph), his own pursuit is killed when he presumes it’s a trade. There’s no point in fucking someone who wants something from him.

His hand can do a better job than most.

Fernando scoffs at her ambitions. While lofty goals aren’t something to be discouraged, she’s setting herself up for failure. “Not like this, not with this type of computing power, not by human hands.” He himself doesn’t understand the complex necessities required for the SILPH KEY but he remembers the high level debrief.

The reason why Lulu will never be able to crack it is the same reason as it’s namesake.

It requires SILPH.

Or, at the very least, something that (at this point in time) only he has.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 23:36:51 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

His response struck a certain chord in her. One of realization. Of foolishness. The first of many waves. This one would, unfortunately, still be ultimately overcome by the storm of her intoxication. However, as it washed over her, the expression on her face faltered and betrayed all. She looked very uncomfortable. Typically impossible to read, Lulu's state, which few ever saw her in, had her fully out in the open. Rather stupidly, she attempted to hide it behind another swig of the bottle.

“Not fun if you just give it to me, anyways. I've always liked a challenge.” She muttered. Needless to say, really. Why else would she be there, joking to the CEO of a company that she could hack into his shit if she really wanted? Ego was so deadly.

Her pace of drinking had seemed to increase. Her problem, if it wasn’t previously apparent, perhaps would be now. She stood out of her chair, utterly off balance and stumbled a bit to the counter, clearing her throat and attempting to collect herself. She breathed low and stood up straighter, setting the bottle down with a light thud. “Not keeping up with me, now. Bit unfair.” she slurred, not looking at him. Despite a joking smile, her tone was beginning to match his edge.

His question had passed without an answer, probably as it was meant to. It was this mention of money that had stopped her descent into blackout bliss, plucking her out, for now, and setting her back into a skewed reality. Everything was about money. This computer, the bug, the formulas. The money in her pocket. Rocket’s money—the thousands they had given her, would continue to give her. Reasons, among many others, she didn’t bring people home. And her promotion had not even been forty-eight hours prior.

She was an international terrorist, not the hobbyist she was acting, even feeling like at that moment. Why the fuck was there a government official standing in her kitchen? Hers was a dangerous mind, unhinged and rendered against herself by something so simple as a bottle of booze. 

Divert, dumbass.

Fingers drummed lightly on the side of the countertop once. “Well,” she started, lowering herself onto her elbows to lean a bit. Feeling that her face was now composed enough, she looked up at him to attempt more humor. “Just thought... might be cool to share with someone who wouldn’t call me a nerd. Hope it’s not too anti-climactic.”

It didn’t have to be, her face said. Perhaps the gravity of the situation was still, somehow, not enough for this woman.

She held the bottle out to him, her eyes challenging again.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2021 23:58:48 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“I mean,” he catches himself when her mood seems to swing in the same direction as the curtness of his response, “if you manage, let me know. Nothing more impressive than seeing the impossible become possible.

Mostly because a human able to perform that level of impossibility is either something he must monopolize or end with his own two hands. What’s to be done with the one person who can ruin the foundation of his empire?

Elimination.

Ah. No, it’s definitely cool. During business hours, this would be a field day.

There’s no lie in that. Everything she’s presented to him definitely hits ‘cool’ on the radar. Too cool, actually.

Dangerously cool.

If not for his own pass of several other glaring issues in Hoenn, Fernando would have half the mind to schedule an official raid of the place. A few officers and rangers here and there to topple her over and seize every asset laid between her Pokemon and machinations. Fortunately for the both of him, experience has taught him that trust in authorities is often squandered by their incompetence.

It’s much better to cut a deal with the source. All he needs is a good playing hand.

Fernando accepts the bottle and swings it to his open mouth. He slows his intake, allowing the liquid to drop noticeably, but his gulps are nothing more than sips. She’s plastered and he’s slowly coming to.

You good?

As nice as it would be for her to black out, he’s not done with her. It’s about time he tapered her off too.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 0:45:02 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Those words passed. No matter. Since those lonely days in her childhood bedroom, under the dark shadow of her brother’s celebrated success, under so many noses, Lulu had been accomplishing the “impossible” rather consistently, thank you.

Lulu never stopped working. She couldn’t turn her brain off from it for long periods of time. She gave a self-deprecating laugh under her breath. “This is why I don’t pick people up from bars.” Eyes flashed him a wry look, despite the crumbling state she was truly in. “My idea of fun doesn’t always match up.”

She looked somewhat startled by his next question. Was it that obvious? Smoothing over, she responded dismissingly, “Yeh, yeh. Fine.” Cleared her throat. “Em.. you play cards?”

Something casual. Easy. Only, they were already playing, weren't they?

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 1:02:26 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“That’s why?

He maintains the facade of witty banter with a teasing prick of his tone. “Couldn’t imagine how many people pass up the enticing pickup line of ‘I’ll show you my Porygon if you show me yours.’” Tiptoeing between light hearted and cutting her loose is as hard to navigate sober as it is inebriated.

Depends what you’re playing.” His eyes shift to her desk, probing for an obvious deck. “If you pull the fifty-two pickup joke I’ll arrest you.

He’s not joking. That trick only works once.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 1:29:36 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

A light snort left her, whisked up by humor. “I’m a woman of niche interests, what can I say.” She felt herself floating in a similar purgatory.

Perfectly straight teeth flashed at him. “Darn.”  Then, her hand went to pull the junk drawer open again, and she fished over the glinting steel of her pistol for the cards which had been pushed behind it. Once they were in her hand, the drawer shut, and the paper fluttered smoothly in her fingers as she shuffled them. She played solitaire every morning while she had her coffee, and it showed.

The deck was squared off between them and she leaned on her elbows again, towards him a bit. “Your choice, then.” She seemed confident she’d know whatever he threw at her. “After all, I tremble in the face of such threats.” Some joke.

Another wave hit her, but what did she have left to do at this point but to try and have a decent time? Sleep would come soon enough. Tomorrow was another goddamned story, and not one she was prepared to look towards.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 1:40:41 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar
[attr="class","spiral"]“Indeed.

His intake of alcohol has long waned off carrying his drunkenness. Only the sheer volume from the bar keeps him flowing, drying up with each mortifying reminder. He only catches a glimpse of her firearm but that’s enough to kick start his own ‘high alert’. He blinks, eyes slanted and cheeks stained with his inability to metabolize copious liquor, but wellfully aware of what kind of company he’s keeping.

Twenty-one, truth or dare.

A simple game with simple stakes. It’s a chance for him to navigate around her without coming off as invasive—just an innocent game of getting to know your drinking partner better.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
porygone [c][s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2021 2:25:44 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

The look that crossed her face was one of amusement, and it hid the way her heart lurched. “Alright, then.” She agreed, beaming like the fake that she was. “S'pose the rich probably don't stay rich by betting their money like normal people.” A quip, before she momentarily left the counter to walk hazardously towards her desk, retrieving another cigarette and the glass she’d left, ice melted. She didn’t seem to care as she took a sip. It also didn’t seem to occur to her that she’d forgotten it at all.

Returning, she lit the cigarette, which hung out of the side of her month as she dealt them two cards a piece, sliding her second hidden beneath a queen of spades. Her red eyes returned to him curiously. He’d been dealt a king of hearts and a ten of diamonds. Her hidden card was merely a six. If he stayed, he would win.