part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2021 6:28:40 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@ any rocket
SOCIAL

The past couple of weeks had been spent assembling a prototype energy generator. Today, they would be testing its stability and resistance.

This was the first test. Things were expected to go wrong. Several other scientists stood by, curious. Others had been too nervous to show up.

Five Klinklangs hovered inside of a massive metal orb, gears turning at all different speeds, bobbing casually and waiting for Lulu’s command. It was her personally assembled team, and they minded her well.

She spoke into a small microphone. Now. The five pokemon interlocked gears, working together.

The gears began turning at a great speed, and the red orbs on their bodies glowing red. “That's it... keep going...” The great orb whirred to life, glowing. After a few moments, sparks began to form around it. A alarm sounded, and one of the panels exploded out of the frame, hitting a grunt in the chest and knocking him airborne. He landed unconscious with a thud.

“Well. Shit.”

Red eyes stared at the limp body for a moment, blinking.

“Back to the drawing board.” She called aloud to the room, while several white-coated scientists scuttled about to assess the damage.

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 9:12:56 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]with arms folded across his chest, jun watches the experiment whir to life. a much short-lived life. his demeanor laxes, shoulders slack, and he exhales a held breath before he approaches the lead scientist.

"do you need a hand?"

no white coat adorns the newly recruited grunt. instead, a simple attire in dark colors, befitting the organization. jun offers a courteous smile before continuing.

"don't know how much help i'll be, though. i'm currently doing my thesis at slateport."

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.jun] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .jun b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .jun u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .jun a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .jun .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .jun .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .jun .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .jun .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 11:06:30 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

The floor was busy. Someone drug off the collapsed body of the grunt to the infirmary, and the large plate of material that had flung itself across the room had been replaced and was already being re-welded.

Lulu had her nose in a clipboard when he piped up. “Hm?”

Uni kid. “Alright.” She blinked at him expectantly, and then shifted her weight. Offered a prod, “What’s your thesis?” This was too vague to give him a proper assignment.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 16:39:43 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]to a question he hears too often, jun responds with a lack-of gusto that makes it seem almost rehearsed. it probably is.

"a study into weather-changing moves and abilities, and the long-term effects it has on the environment," he shrugs, continuing: "again, not sure how much help i'll be, but i understand the basics."

his gaze floats past her to the bright flashes of the material being welded. it forces his eyes to flinch, even from this far away.

"you're trying to build an energy generator, yeah?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
[newclass=.jun] text-align: justify; font-size: 12px; } .jun b { color: #716075; font-size: 13px; } .jun u { color: #b5b5b5; font-style: italic; text-decoration: underline dotted #716075; font-size: 13px; } .jun a { font-family: inherit; font-size: medium; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase; } .jun .noodles { margin: 0; padding: 5px 0; } .jun .noodles img { max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%; border: none; outline: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; display: inline; float: none; } .jun .noodles .pkmn { display: inline; } .jun .noodles .inactive { filter: grayscale(1); -webkit-filter: grayscale(1); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2021 23:18:06 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

A glorified global warming expert? Bleeding hearts unite for evil.

You make do.

Basics of what, exactly? They were still speaking in terms of a broad field of studies. She drummed on the edge of the clipboard with a couple of fingers, lightly. She was a fidgety woman.

“Just testing materials for now. A small-scale experiment.” She looked over to the orb in its room, which was actually rather large as it housed the five gear pokemon, who had slowed to docile speeds. She looked back to where the grunt had been knocked to, since removed. “But yes, essentially.”

“Gone kind of awry today, but… this is just the first round of trials.” She flashed a somewhat wild grin at him. “Watch your head.”

She walked over to a glowing control panel, assessing something on the screen.

“How do you think your specializations might apply in a project like this?” Are you valuable or would you be in the way? Nevermind introductions. His name wasn’t important yet.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2021 4:13:32 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]her question is not an unexpected one and yet it stops jun in his tracks. he stands before the glowing control panel, but his eyes stay fixed on her.

"i'm not too sure." always be honest, but perhaps not in this organization. "the physics is similar in a way. when a pokemon changes the weather, it creates a forced reaction in the environment, sometimes overwhelming in nature, and to force that reaction it needs enough energy. i assume the klinklangs are essentially doing that while the orb acts as a conductor."

his eyes flick over to the five gear pokemon. he remembers how they were spinning earlier.

"i understand the theory of your project, and given some time maybe even the practical side of it, but i just need some guidance."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2021 4:42:28 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

“That’s correct.” she nodded.

“The problem is not so much generating the energy as it is maintaining it at a stable level. It wants to overpower. We’re working on finding where to choke the output.” She looked at it pensively. “I want this thing to be able to take whatever something throws at it. Even something that maybe doesn’t want to be in there.” Again, this was a smaller prototype, and one out of a slew of ideas. Only time would tell if this one wouldn't be scrapped along the way of progress.

While she wasn’t sure how his studies would pertain to this, her interest in his research was piqued. “I’m curious. What have you found during your studies at Slateport? About the weather, and the environment and all of that?”

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2021 17:47:51 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]a curious mind wanders as it had been taught to, and the solution jun comes up with is one that is simple in theory, but vastly complicated in execution. ethics, rights and wrongs, should they be ignored for the sake of advancement? the thought lingers even as his attention is pulled away.

"it's ever-changing. unstable. maybe even dangerous. i imagine the influx of trainers over the past decade or two have skewed the balance of nature. some argue that we've only accelerated it, that it was always meant to be imbalanced." he rolls his shoulders, shrugging. "i personally think it's too far gone to save, at least not without an external factor. it's all about prolonging the inevitable. it has been for quite some time now."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 1:45:37 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

Just as he’d finished speaking, a coated scientist strode up on Lulu’s far shoulder to seek her opinion on something. She excused herself curtly for a brief moment, running her finger over a value on an offered clipboard. Her tone was executive, and the grunt was soon on their way to the next task as she turned back to continue their conversation.

Lulu had never been very concerned about the environment, and it certainly wasn't her area of science. She had previously helped develop bombs, and she’d only recently stopped throwing her cigarette butts in the street.

Her chin tilted to the side with inquisitiveness, but there was a certain attitude in the way the clipboard fell to her hip from a winged-out arm.

“Alright. I’ll bite. What’s the inevitable?”

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 3:58:50 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]"extreme weather conditions." a pause. "floods, droughts, blizzards, all of them amplified to a degree that brings chaos. imagine slateport submerged by the sea, or lavaridge melting in lava. there have already been instances of these extremities, just not to that extent. at least not yet."

such severe words carry with them an air of cool that is almost jarring. jun is not indifferent, no, but perhaps he has accepted the inevitability. his gaze flicks back to the orb, not missing a beat.

"have you tried a different material? or perhaps placing a pokemon inside it?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 8:16:29 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

Lulu felt bewildered. Perhaps his value to Rocket lied in something apart from being a weatherman.

While his face was one of wisely knowing when to bow to the will of nature, hers was one of true indifference and unwillingness to progress with caution. That wasn’t how she operated in her field.

And it wasn’t that she didn’t believe their science. It was that she didn’t care.

“Right.” Moving on.

“I’ll be trying an even higher carbon steel for the frame, probably. Hoping that will help hold the plates in place. They’re more difficult to alter—much more complex technology.” And to his other question “There are five Klinklangs in there already. That’s where the power was coming from.” Perhaps he hadn’t noticed, having only just walked into the lab. Only light silhouettes of the pokemon could be seen as they levitated within the machine.

She shifted her weight again. “What’s your name?”

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 8:34:00 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]jun shakes his head. "i meant another. maybe something with LIGHTNING ROD to draw energy away from the plates. something to control it, channel it, and then for you to siphon from."

he glances down out of instinct for an offered hand, but the lack of one does little to bother him. he offers a courteous nod instead.

"jun."

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 9:02:28 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

“The plates are meant to absorb the energy. They contain hardware similar to voltaic cells.” She paused, gauging him and reaching for something to relate on. “Like in solar panels.”

Now, she would challenge him with the cool steel she was becoming known for dishing out in the lab. What purpose did this man serve? What had been the motivation in hiring him? That’s what she was curious about, now, but asking it outright felt sort of like asking ‘what are you in for?’ in prison. She decided to play it vague.

“Why are you here, Jun? Is this your assigned area or did you just wander in curious?”

Based on the function and design of her invention, his logic was backwards, which he couldn't have known, and that wasn't lost on her. She was testing him. His enthusiasm and quickness to offer an idea to the table was good. This approval did not show in her face, however. She eyed him like a tired wolf waiting for him to stumble.

close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 9:58:36 GMT
Deleted Avatar
[attr="class","jun"]assumptions built upon more assumptions, jun has little to offer in response apart from a curt nod. the goal of the prototype is a known factor, but that's about where it ends for him. still, curiosity fuels him, and it shows in the way he's still eyeing the prototype.

"the latter. i wanted to see what advancements were being made in the organization, and if i could contribute to them."

finally, he returns his gaze to her.

"is there an open position in your team?"

[attr="class","noodles"]
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,371 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
trial and error [o/s]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2021 20:40:50 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
@jun
SOCIAL

Bingo. Good answer. Taking initiative. She liked it.

“Never closed if you fit right.” She gave a tight smile, not giving him a clear answer yet.

“If you’re not already aware, my name is Lulu Flint; I’m a head scientist. I apply my studies to electrical and mechanical engineering, mostly. is my professional counterpart. He specializes in biotechnology.” Which sounded much more like a real scientist, but whatever.

“I could see your research informing a variety of both of our projects—I just don’t see how yet in mine. Suppose that’s something you’ll have to show me.” She raised a couple of thin eyebrows at him before turning and walking towards the orb, leaving a curt command with a crook of her finger. “Follow.” Despite a lack of handshake, she still filled out the shoes.

“How old are you? How long have you been at the university?”