twenty-three
october 17
Castelia City, Unova
n/a
admin/businesswoman
executive
151 height
151 height
It ain’t easy being mean. In effete morality, I maintain a masquerade of earnestness and modesty.
awards
181 posts
marie jules DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marie
marie jules
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2021 23:44:03 GMT
marie jules Avatar

The light thrum that continuously sounded from the machines that littered every corner of the lab was a calming background to the chaos that had taken place within its confines. Test after test, theory after theory, sacrifice after sacrifice, they would all amount to this moment here, the moment in which history would be made.

Marie looked through her notes, proofreading over every single bit of them before looking up to the participants of her experiment.

At the moment, Marie had the siblings: and set into treatment chairs, their vitals shown on a screen to each of their respective lefts.

How are you two doing?

She speaks in an upbeat and excited tone, her face just as bright to match the mood she had decided to bring to the table. Despite the sleepless nights, the cramps in her hands, and the hunger pains that had been all but abated, Marie kept her facade as to lessen the stress such a situation could bring about.

Did you enjoy your training? Must’a been tough on you two, I know because I put it all together.

She chuckles, swiping at her tablet’s face, eyes scanning the screen as she took a breath.

But…. In the end it’ll all be worth it.

There is a slight connotation in the midst of her words that would make one second guess her, Marie’s smile stifling in a slight tell of her exhaustion.

Do you two have any worries that you’d like to get off your chest before we move on any further? Questions maybe? Any words you been holding back to spit at me until now? Tell me whatever’s on your mind.

There was not a moment her eyes left the screen, Marie fully absorbed on the tablet as she spoke. Her eyes only moved when another had entered, the current boss of Hoenn’s rocket branch: Declan; and even then, they only wandered for a moment, quickly settling back on the tablet.

Welcome.” She says in an offhand tone, moving towards the two subjects and giving them a look over.

art credit
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 8, 2021 13:23:52 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Marie's upbeat attitude is contrasted by Gavin's apparent apathy, though those who knew to look for it would spot the gleam of ambition in his amber gaze. He observes his own vital signs with a vague interest, only redirecting his gaze when addressed once more.

"It wasn't too far from my ordinary routine," he says of the training, lifting his shoulders in a shrug. "If anything, optimizing it has done me a favour."

It wasn't the only good thing to come of the process. He had mostly laid off cigarettes during his training; the stress that had made him relapse during the three-day war has all but abated, and he often thinks longingly to the Pokeathalon when he'd been at the peak of his physical prowess thanks to healthier lungs. Aside from a few slip-ups, the underboss had stuck to his new routine in earnest. It's just until the test, he'd tell himself, whenever the urge grew particularly strong.

The test. Ominous, when he thought of it like that.

"Just one thing," Gavin says calmly, shifting his weight to properly look at her. "If this kills me, I will find a way to come back and hunt you down."

He smiles, then, all sharp edges.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,358 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2021 6:47:03 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

By this time, Lulu had taken to traveling via shadow versus walking to her destinations. While she began to present herself publicly in the world of science, recent complications in her personal life had caused her to withdraw from social situations even more. Why risk getting caught in a conversation, or even having to make eye contact with people, when you could simply avoid busy hallways altogether?

She appeared out of the corner of the room wordlessly. She  appeared lethargic and morose, but despite this, she was in peak physical condition.

Her eyes, contactless and matching her brother’s exact hue, looked over at him as she allowed him to speak first; as it had always been. She looked back to Marie Jules, whose enthusiasm was like nearly painful sunshine against two gray ice clouds.

“Suppose I could say the same.” She responded.

Like her brother, Lulu had maintained a strict routine, since a few months into her stay in prison. There was a compulsive need to do it now; same as playing cards with herself each morning.

This project had only pushed her further. The Quinns had become expertly raised athletes, tested, poked and prodded; exercised to the brink like prized competition fighters. Their bodies had been broken down and rebuilt for the purpose of pushing them to their very limits.

Despite improved strength and endurance, her body and mind were tired. Having been ripped through time and time again by Tapu Fini, even before Darkrai had found a home in her heart, she had become nothing more than a remnant of her former self. Nonetheless, here she was, ready to offer the very last scraps of her existence to the cause, and, even more so, for the sake of revenge.

At Gavin’s sentiment, she looked between the two again, her eyes stopping on the woman as though to silently stand behind  the underboss’ words for the second time. However, she deadpanned, cold flatness to compliment Gavin’s vaguely threatening air.

When silence had fallen to give her an easy turn to speak, all the scientist had to say was, “I’m ready.”

close tab

played by

giz

emilee, vivian, brianne
she/her
twenty-three
october 17
Castelia City, Unova
n/a
admin/businesswoman
executive
151 height
151 height
It ain’t easy being mean. In effete morality, I maintain a masquerade of earnestness and modesty.
awards
181 posts
marie jules DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marie
marie jules
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2021 3:41:08 GMT
marie jules Avatar
I implore you to do so.” She speaks to Gavin with a sickeningly sweet tone, eyes remaining on her tablet.

The utterance from Lulu is the only thing that snaps her attention away from the screen, Marie’s lips taut in a smile.

I hope you are, but before we start, let’s go through a few steps.

Marie strides towards the two, sliding the tablet underarm as she undoes the equipment one anchored onto the two of them.

While I’m usually one that is quick to say if you aim to do something then do it, some things take a little more tact. First and foremost, I’d like the two of you to release your pokemon, Gavin: your Lugia, and Lulu: your Darkrai. Adding onto this, bring me up to date on any times you have called upon their resources during the time after our most recent meeting.

Once she finishes, she allows the two of them to stretch their legs if need be.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2021 4:59:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
There was a downside to curbing his addiction: Gavin's temper is quick to flare. Though he keeps it in check, one of the monitors beeps and betrays his spike in blood pressure. He takes a measured breath through his nose. More steps?

Yet Gavin wants this done right, for his own safety, so he complies without argument. He stands up, stretching stiff muscles and palming the beast ball whose weight no longer feels like a burden.

I do not consider Lugia mine, is a thought unspoken, met by something that feels like the legend's amusement.

Lugia emerges airborne, its large wings summoning a fierce breeze as they rhythmically beat. Red eyes once full only of malice now house a cold intelligence as they survey the room. A presence once unsettling now brings Gavin comfort; it settles noticeably into his posture as he turns to answer 's question.

"We've been training together extensively; not as often as I'd like, due to the necessary secrecy, but not infrequent."

As he lifts his arms to stretch, his shirt rides up to reveal a dark bruise along his ribs. Such punishment had been inflicted by Lugia's tail when its avatar had failed to dodge out of the way in time. Pain was a fantastic motivator for success.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,358 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2021 11:16:27 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Darkrai was ever-present with Lulu. It didn’t live in a pokeball. Lulu had never attempted to confine it to one, nor had the idea even occurred to her to do so. Silently, the siblings agreed in regards to their relationships.

As it was summoned, Darkrai hovered some out of the shadows, making its presence known. Lulu stared at a space on the floor. When had she called upon its resources?

When had she not?

“I typically use Darkrai’s power to travel the submarine these days. It allows me extra time during my work day.” Yeah. That was why. “There was also… the glass workshop incident.” She went a bit quiet, the last syllable almost inaudible. She flexed her toes in her shoes awkwardly. Damn. Her eye contact didn’t meet Gavin’s. Surely, would have filled him in by now.

“We had a run-in with Tapu Fini, and Darkrai acted of its own volition. It changed day to night and brought shadows to life. It was… impressive.” She fell silent, disappearing into a tired mind treading dark water.

She stretched and awaited their fate.

close tab

played by

giz

emilee, vivian, brianne
she/her
twenty-three
october 17
Castelia City, Unova
n/a
admin/businesswoman
executive
151 height
151 height
awards
181 posts
marie jules DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marie
marie jules
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2021 18:22:04 GMT
marie jules Avatar
Her eyes veer upwards at the Lugia, eyeing it as she listens to speak, her gaze moving down as she catches a glimpse of the bruise on his abdomen. She lifts his shirt slightly, taking a look at and observing the area of impact.

Interesting.” She muses before releasing her grip and allowing the fabric to fall.

For him to walk off a blow from Lugia was something to marvel at. And on another note, was the pokemon holding back? If it wanted it it could absolutely decimate someone like Gavin without even putting too much force into its actions. Was the process of brainwashing that effective? Was Gavin’s hold over it that powerful? Or was there a bond between them that she just could not fathom?

In any case, it was impressive the constraint the Lugia held to not blow this man to pieces as well as Gavin's own ability to be able take the brunt of an attack from the beast.

Her eyes move to and Darkrai soon after observing Gavin, shaking her head as to dissuade and ill thoughts of the woman's own actions.

I’ve heard about your exploits and can’t say they matter in the long term. But the more you know about Darkrai and its abilities the better. I hope you can get better acquainted with each other.

The two of them haven’t had as much time with each other as Gavin and Lugia so any more than the bare minimum between the two of them would be a surprise to Marie.

One last thing. Give me a roar.

She pauses, taking a few steps back away from the platform, fingers snapping twice as a few scientists move the treatment chairs away.

I don’t want you half assing it either. I want the most guttural roar you can come up with. Let it all out and hold nothing back.

Her lips curl into a deeper smile as she eyes the two of them, releasing a Xatu and Orbeetle to each side of her.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2021 1:55:19 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin tenses as draws close; a life in Rocket has conditioned him to jealously guard his personal space. Consciously, however, he has never felt safer than with the broad wings of Lugia casting their shadow over him. His muscles relax as logic overrides instinct, and he allows her to inspect as she will.

When she lets go, he tugs his shirt back to its proper place.

Having told Marie of the exploits near Fallarbor beforehand, Gavin doesn't reiterate here. He remains bitter about Yveltal's interference forcing his hand in revealing his avatarship, but doesn't regret it.

Gavin offers only a deadpan stare.

"Really?" He doesn't sound impressed, but doesn't outright refuse, instead asking, "And what purpose would that serve beyond your own amusement?"

He eyes the psychic types with suspicion; did their sudden presence have something to do with it, perhaps? Was she going to use their powers on the avatars in some way? Should Marie give a reason he finds adequate, however, Gavin would comply with her request.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,358 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 23, 2021 3:45:22 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Lulu gave an appreciative but silent nod. Moving on.

“Mm.” Lulu was, also, not impressed. “Yeah, I’m not sure about that, either.” had summoned the cool kids in school, after all. She wove her fingers behind her back and glanced at her feet. No, no roaring please.

The sound of the pokeball beams earned back her gaze. Well, this was a development. She pursed her lips, her mind going the same way as ’s. The Xatu in particular unnerved her, although she couldn't quite place why.

close tab

played by

giz

emilee, vivian, brianne
she/her
twenty-three
october 17
Castelia City, Unova
n/a
admin/businesswoman
executive
151 height
151 height
awards
181 posts
marie jules DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marie
marie jules
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 24, 2021 7:34:49 GMT
marie jules Avatar
I just wanted to compare the before and after~

Marie says with a devilish smile in an equally devilish tone; a snap of her fingers setting into motion a series of events.

First came the unveiling of the machine, it’s metal face humming in unison with its kin that stirred in the background.

Next was Xatu, quickly blinking back and forth, engulfing Lulu and Darkrai within its wingspan as it teleported the two of them next to Marie herself.

And finally, a magic coat provided by the Orbeetle to shield their eyes from the piercing light that was about to engulf the dimly lit room.

Soon after Marie gives the go, a quiet “Wicked.” escapes her lips, the beam firing off towards Gavin.

close tab

played by

NPC

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
206 posts
NPC DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @rocketnpc1
NPC
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 25, 2021 23:08:52 GMT
NPC Avatar

we forgot we were human

marie's tests

DECLAN WATCHES QUIETLY. Despite the risk, despite the grandeur, he stirs little. Old eyes stay focused with sharp edges— like 's smile. The beam strikes the Underboss, and for a moment, everything seems okay. The energy in the air calms after a second's crackling.

Then, feels it. As if overwhelmed, overloaded by a sudden surge of energy and blood that rushes through his body all the way to his brain, the Underboss is inundated with INFINITY ENERGY. As he suffers this odd contradiction of pain and revitalization, from 's mouth, a pool of SHADOW spills out: a cloudy residue of his avatar powers.

It stays, hovering, before it begins to fade at the edges of its will-o-wisp like shape.

Walsh watches still. Focused and quiet.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2021 0:53:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
At the snap of 's fingers, Gavin braces himself.

It happens fast — is whisked away as the machine begins to spin up with a familiar, horrific intensity. It drowns out the pounding of Gavin's heart in his ears until there is nothing left in the room but the sound of oncoming doom.

Then it fires.

Gavin's muscles tense at the sound but he does not shy away from the beam's impact. He had trained for this, prepared for it, and he meets it head on with a grim determination. It strikes, and there is a fraction of a second where he is confused. He feels nothing.

Then he doubles over as it all hits at once, energy and adrenaline and pain that escapes him in a choked gasp expelling miasma from his lungs. The scream Marie had hoped for does not come; mouth open, his pain is silent and raw. His frame shudders violently as it struggles to contain newly inundated energy, and the floor shudders too — Lugia lands beside him, enveloping its avatar within its shadow. Its soothing presence radiates in his mind as he focuses on breathing, pain intensifying before it begins to fade like a memory or a bad dream.

"Fuck," he says at last, voice weak. "I'm — all right."

Then he smiles, laughs, a wild energy blazing in his eyes. He had faced the blast and survived; such was the power of an avatar. Lugia's power, his power. Miasma swathes him like a protective shroud, a reassurance that such power remains.
close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,358 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2021 3:21:43 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar

Beneath the Xatu’s feathers flashed utter horror and panic—not for the experiment, but for the Xatu itself. As she was consumed in its shadow, her breath sucked in and hitched. Sensing its avatar’s fear, Darkrai drew its own cloaks of darkness around her, and the three disappeared together for a split second like matryoshka dolls.

There was a flash a few mere feet over, and the alternate perspective brought Walsh into view. Before she had any time to process it, the machine was charging and firing. She felt her heart come up her chest and out her throat: “NO—” Why had Jules done this? Why catch them by such surprise?

Without thinking, she took a large step towards Gavin, but the humbling descent of Lugia’s presence around him made her stop short. She froze, looking back down at the avatar as he coughed up dark miasma which seemed to defy the laws of physics.

Gavin’s face was regarded carefully and she replaced her stray foot back into the close shadow of her own legendary. He was laughing. Disregarding her own outburst and hoping they would too, she eventually looked up.

“Mr. Walsh.” She greeted their boss, a slight breathiness betraying her lingering shock.

Eyes then stole a glance at Marie, wondering when a laser might hit her out of nowhere and possibly strike her dead without warning.

close tab

played by

giz

emilee, vivian, brianne
she/her
twenty-three
october 17
Castelia City, Unova
n/a
admin/businesswoman
executive
151 height
151 height
awards
181 posts
marie jules DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @marie
marie jules
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2021 14:23:04 GMT
marie jules Avatar
There were no screams, but Gavin’s internal anguish was more than enough to satisfy her inner sadist.

His silent howl, the tensing of muscles, an unexpected addition which even she hadn’t expected, and the icing on the cake, ’s triumphant smile. To see something she had built up, fired at yet remain standing was a feat she reveled in; the satiated smile a testament to this truth.

Then carry yourself out of the way.

There was no pity for the man to be heard in her tone, Marie seeing this as yet another feat he would have to manage himself. If he could not move himself he would give him the same treatment as Lulu, save bringing the giant fucking shadow whale along for obvious reasons.

Your turn.

Marie says half turning her head to Lulu, waiting for her to take Gavin’s place as she allowed the Floette a breather before the machine fired a second shot.

She could only hope Lulu’s reaction is as fulfilling as Gavin’s.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,850 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
we forgot we were human
POSTED ON Apr 29, 2021 4:31:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He expects no pity from and is not disappointed; , however, surprises him. Belatedly he registers her outcry, glances up to lock eyes with her in silent reassurance.

The look that passes between siblings could be easily mistaken as one between colleagues, but he trusts she knows.

"Brace yourself; whatever you're expecting, it's worse."

With those encouraging words of advice, Gavin staggers toward Jules and Walsh on unsteady limbs, muscles weak from the agony they'd endured. He is stubborn, however, and makes it over without assistance. Lugia lumbers toward them, tail curling around its avatar in a protective gesture.

Energy thrums beneath the surface of the skin, leaving Gavin dizzy with exhilaration and adrenaline.