thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 10:34:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin has the sense to corner in the foyer, rather than demanding a meeting in his office.

It's not really cornering him, besides; he spots the blue hair from across the space and approaches with all the feigned indifference of any other day. That his mind is racing, thoughts heavy, is a difference only Gavin's aware of.

"Priam, been wondering when I'd run into you. Got a minute?"

He aims for casual, falls a bit short thanks to natural intensity.

A grunt Gavin vaguely recognizes is tending the bar, and Gavin flags him for a glass of whiskey. He was going to need the liquid courage.
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
Embrace the dark you call a home, Gaze upon an empty, white throne
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 17:27:19 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
sitting with both of his legs crossed on top of a bench, his shoulders tensed when he hears his name.

priam is found trying to get dirt off of his ferroseed. dust and other debris hang on its spikes that priam fervently brushes off. he feels sorry for it, but he supposed it's a plant so it's kinda okay with getting left alone since that's what plants do in the wild.

gavin almost manages to get a squeak from him, but priam has conditioned himself to be manly enough not to release any feminine noises. as soon as he composes himself, he turns to gavin with a simple "oh, sure."

as soon as garbage and such were taken off of the ferroseed, priam picks it up carefully and plants it on a flower pot. he puts the pot in between his legs as he turns to the underboss.

"what'cha got for me? anyone annoying you? i can get 'em!"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 13, 2021 18:19:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He notes the way Priam tenses, but doesn't think much of it. He has that effect on people, sometimes; it doesn't occur to him that the reflex might be out of embarrassment for the trash-covered Ferroseed Priam caters to.

He actually manages something resembling a smile at the question.

"Nothing like that," he assures. Squints. "Is that the same Ferroseed that was in the vents?"
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 14, 2021 3:09:56 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
priam sighs of disappointment. he woke up and decided to choose violence that day. it's just sad that he doesn't have a proper outlet for it now. not that it matters since he has better things to take care of.

"y-yeah," he answers nervously, before his voice shoots up. "how come no one reminded me that i left her there?! i've searched my entire pc for a day and all i could find from the search function was ferrothorn! i spent an entire day, gavin, before someone asked if it was the one in the vents!"

the rant ends, and as priam recovers from the rage, he turns back to the underboss with the same cheery smile.

"so, what's up? you're not just here to ask about my ferroseed, right?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 15, 2021 1:21:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin blinks slowly as Priam's voice shifts up in pitch. He seems indifferent to the anger, allows it to roll off him like dew drops from a Sunflora's leaves.

"You are the only one responsible for your own Pokémon."

Though stern, there's no heat behind the words. He softens.

"No, I'm not here about the Ferroseed. I've just got back from checking on Halla." Having been witness to the aftermath of Lugia's assault, however brief the window, Gavin assumes Priam needs no elaboration. "Still not sure how she got there."

There, being the nebulous location of the Route, their mission.

"You grew up in Rocket, didn't you?"
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 16, 2021 4:13:27 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
surely, current rocket wouldn't throw an eleven year old to a top priority mission since the organization has both gotten soft and more structured over the years.

priam has an idea given eris' behavior. it's either she wanted to prove herself capable and went against instructions to show off, or that she actually thinks she's an actual rocket grunt. he's been in her position before after all.

he never voices this though.

"yup, what of it?" he asks gavin.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 17, 2021 22:15:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's harder than he expects to broach the subject. Gavin takes a swig of whiskey as an excuse to gather his thoughts, focuses on the way it burns going down. This would be easier if he was drunk, but he never let himself go that far.

"What was it like?"
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 18, 2021 9:42:30 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
priam doesn't know what got gavin to ask the question, but he answers nonetheless as what his conditioned response to higher ups were. there's no reason not to, after all.

"it's, uh, nice?" he answers, confused.

he wonders if this was a trick question. wondering if he's in trouble, he goes for the ol' reliable suck up maneuver.

"it kept me fed, gave me something to do... i mean, where would i be if it wasn't for rocket?"

as much as he thinks highly of himself, priam finds no answer.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 19, 2021 6:04:35 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Where Priam aims to suck up to a superior, Gavin finds sadness in the answer. It's one he finds he can relate to. Where if not Rocket, indeed? He hadn't known the answer when Blackwell fell.

It's why he'd stayed.

"Wherever you'd like, I suppose." His shoulder lifts in a shrug. "How old were you when you — got involved?"

Joined was not the right word for his situation.
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 9:07:56 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
priam didn't have an answer about a place where he'd like to be outside of rocket, though he's thankful that he gets another question to answer.

"i'unno. it's been like seven years? eight? i don't really count."

it was an uncommon for when a grunt whose familial connections weren't involved in rocket to be in the organization at that age to be fair, but priam never found it a problem before. he tilts his head as he asks a question back.

"is this about eris?" he asks, before catching himself being too blunt. "you mentioned her. you, uh, worried about her or something?"

he hasn't been asked these kinds of questions before by the underboss and wonders if the last excursion was the prompt of it all.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 14:49:57 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"It's been a long time for me, too."

Unlike Priam, Gavin knew exactly when he'd signed his life away to Rocket. It lingered in his thoughts as some twisted anniversary; the first day with Rocket, and the first man whose life he'd taken. There'd been many more of both.

Priam proves perceptive, and Gavin dips his head.

"Sort of, yes. And, yes, I'm worried about her." He polishes off his whiskey. "Your situation seems most similar to hers, and — well, if there were any highs or lows, it'd be good to look out for them, I think."

Translation: How the hell do you raise a child in Rocket? Gavin has no fucking idea.
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 20, 2021 16:12:26 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
priam loosens up his collar and settles the pot of ferroseed on his lap. he looks down on it before he swallows and shares his piece.

"kanto's kinda like killed or be killed situation. hoenn's not like that."

he wasn't willing to say that the organization has gotten much softer over the past, though he won't deny that it's been going on in his mind. it's not like he hates it anyways.

"i was forced to work for rocket. i don't think she has a burden like that. if you're worried, why not take her out of rocket entirely while she's still young and get someone to provide a civilian life for her? i def would've preferred that when i was her age."

the words come out seamlessly from his mouth. his fingers tremble around the pot as he swallows again. lifting up his head, he catches the eye of the same grunt gavin had flagged, and asks for a bottle of beer.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 21, 2021 1:57:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I joined in Kanto as well." His expression pinches with the return of distant memories. "I hope Rocket never goes back to being like it was then, but..."

But if Walsh pointed, Gavin would shoot, and the environment of an organization like Rocket trickled down from the top. Declan wasn't Silas. Gone, Gavin hoped, were the days of Rocket seizing children from homes where they'd slaughtered innocent families. But that didn't make Rocket safe, especially not for one so young.

"I've thought about that," he admits. "But she's not exactly a normal kid; how many eleven-year-olds know how to build bombs?"

His laugh is hollow as he shakes his head.

Gavin squints when he notices the tremble in Priam's fingers.

"Nervous?"
close tab

played by

Aero

conrad
he/him
december 18
vermillion city, kanto
anything goes
errand boy
grunt
lost in thoughts
ALL ALONE
843 height
843 height
awards
2,322 posts
priam conrad DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @priam
priam conrad
pathology
POSTED ON May 24, 2021 13:40:22 GMT
priam conrad Avatar
eyes widen when gavin notices his mannerisms, breaking down into nervous chuckling afterwards.

"well, kinda."

priam can't explain the build up on his throat. his beer arrives, thankful that he has something to wash it down. it helps a bit, even if it's just the illusion of him believing that alcohol makes it easier.

"i-if she can build bombs at that age, then you shouldn't even be worried about her then. who knows what else she can bring to the table years later? she's fine. you're worrying too much!... unless there's something else you're worried?"

he swallows a bitter bile down his system, hoping it never resurfaces again in the conversation.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,843 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
pathology
POSTED ON May 25, 2021 2:57:11 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Because of me?" Gavin probes, curious. He's more intense than he means to be, amber stare unwavering. "Or something else?"

Priam only seems more agitated as the conversation continues, aggravating Gavin's suspicions. He takes a slow sip of the warming liquor in his glass, eyes narrowed.

"I'm worried about you, right now."

Halla is momentarily forgotten.

"Is something wrong?"