Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 8:52:18 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“What the fuck did I get myself into?” His words were slurred but they weren’t directed to anyone in particular, reverberating off the metallic walls of the submarine to only reach himself. “You really fucked up, Rowan.” He took another deep swig of the bottle, attempting to wash away the image of seeing Aoi murdered in front of him with copious amounts of alcohol.

Rowan had broken into the cafeteria pantry after leaving Gavin’s office, knowing there would be liquor with which to numb himself inside. “Galar doesn’t seem so bad now, huh?” A chuckle escaped his lips, sloshing some of the bottle contents onto the floor before him. At least when he was a prisoner he didn’t need to worry about being an accessory to murder, and have the face of the dead visible whenever he closed his eyes. “...fucking idiot…”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 9:31:12 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"You may want to slow down."

Amber eyes scan the scene, taking in the opened cabinet and the liquor bottles.

"I know you've witnessed something traumatic, but that doesn't make you immune to alcohol poisoning. Unless you're trying to die, in which case there are far quicker methods."

He's not the best at dealing with trauma. His own, others, it matters little. But he'd gone searching for after they'd squared away the situation with Ozaki because he knew that his brother would not be handling it well.

Gavin sits on the edge of a table.

"Thought you might need to talk."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 20:47:02 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Another drink of the bottle was taken out of spite for their warning, purposefully turning away from Gavin as they spoke. “Quicker methods, sure. This one is the most entertaining, at least.” Rowan knew he was trapped in this organization now, no way to leave unless he wanted to end up in the same shallow grave with which Aoi Ozaki would likely turn up eventually. “You’ll have to forgive me if I don’t really feel like talking…” At least not to you.

A look crossed his face and Rowan suddenly stood up, rushing over to the sink and unceremoniously hurling his stomach contents into the basin, the retching noises echoing through the empty kitchen. Water washed away the bile as he turned on the faucet of the sink, remaining draped over the metal in case there was a second act to this miserable play. “I don’t know if I can do this…” He spoke finally, body trembling with a combination of nausea and fear. “...I can’t stop seeing...it.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 21:04:34 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Until you're in the med bay getting your stomach pumped, sure."

Speaking of his stomach, Rowan empties its contents into the sink and Gavin politely averts his gaze as his brother retches over the sound of running water. He returns it only when Rowan speaks.

Surprisingly, it's sympathy that shows in his expression.

"This is going to sound awful, but it gets easier." He remembers laying on the bathroom tile of his Saffron apartment with the room spinning overhead. Waking up drenched in sweat, shaking, from nightmares that felt all too real. "Gonna fucking suck until it does, though. Sorry you had to see it."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 21:25:29 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Easier? Rowan didn’t know if he wanted it to become easier, being surrounded by death and murder. Would that make him numb to the other facets of life he enjoyed? Make him indifferent to the lives of others? The pain would ease but he’d lose a portion of his soul in the process, and he wasn’t sure if he wanted to let that piece disappear.

“Sorry for being so weak.” He responded to their apology with his own, running his mouth under the water and spitting into the drain before continuing. “Must be embarrassing for the Underboss to have such a pathetic brother.” A hand reached to turn the faucet off, not expecting anything else to come up anytime soon.

“Shameful, even.” Rowan slumped down to the floor, the weakness in his legs no longer allowing him to stand, resting his head against the cool metal of the counter while propped up against it. "You can say it, i'm used to being a burden on my family. You wouldn't hurt me more than I already have been."

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON May 31, 2021 21:37:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Rowan."

Gavin sighs, steps away from the table to sit down on the floor across from his brother. There's an intensity to his gaze that he does his best to soften as he looks at him.

"You think I was calm the first time this shit happened to me? They made me do it myself." He glances down at his hands, runs a finger over a small scar on the index finger of his left. "Couldn't sleep right for months. Kept picturing his face every time I closed my eyes."

Thirteen years, and he's all but forgotten the finer details. What colour had his eyes been? Had he said anything, or just let it happen?

"We don't cut out the weak links in the chain anymore. We strengthen them. Rocket's your family now. Maybe a bit more literal than intended — but we'll look out for you. Only thing you could do wrong is turning on us like Ozaki did."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 8:27:04 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I don’t doubt that you were once in the same position as me.” No one was born a murderer, there was no such thing as natural evil as far as Rowan was concerned. People became who they were because of the course their life had taken, either for better or for worse. Others were the primary influence of these behaviors, the ones that are learned through cruelty or compassion. “Were you ever worried about becoming a monster?” Amber eyes glanced over to lock onto those of his brother, for the first time since this conversation began.

“That all of this is tearing away pieces of your soul and the only thing that will remain is a husk, driven by base instinct?” Arms curled around his knees as he brought them to his chest, having thought about this a lot recently. “When Briarwood attacked me in that room, I wanted nothing more than to take that pen off your desk and drive it so deep into her throat until she died choking on her own blood.”

A sigh escaped his lips, glancing away once more. “I’ve had...feelings...like that since I was young. I once nearly caved in someone's face with a book because they said something bad about me.” Tears were beginning to well up in his eyes, gently trailing down his cheeks. “I don’t want to lose my soul and become a monster, Gavin.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 1, 2021 12:31:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yeah," he admits, without hesitating. "Still am."

Scooting back a little so as to give Rowan more space, he pulls a pack of cigarettes from his blazer and lights one up. He tilts his head to blow the smoke away from his brother's face, then looks back at him.

"You smoke? It's fine if you don't. Anyway — I've already crossed almost every line I drew in the sand. I'd say Rocket made me a monster but I'm the one who pulled the trigger, so I guess that's on me."

He shrugs. He's uncertain how to deal with the tears and thus chooses to leave them unacknowledged.

"Do I seem like a husk to you? You can be honest."

He takes another puff of his cigarette, tilting his head back.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 17:22:42 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“You smoke?” An unsteady hand extended towards Gavin as the question was posed, expecting the Underboss to share. “On and off since I left Galar.” The rules of rebellious youth dictated the need for cigarettes, and Rowan had willingly given over to them in the interest of easing the stress of his previous life.

Rowan listened to what the Underboss had to say, unable to find comfort in their words. Gavin admitted to making himself into a self-proclaimed monster, even with the opportunity to choose not to be. “Why?” What could make someone darken their soul willingly?

“You don’t seem like a husk.” At least not yet. Cillian Quinn was still clinging on, watching as Gavin Merlino slowly edged them off a cliff overlooking the abyss. “You don’t seem happy either.” Honesty was requested and Rowan wasn’t about to shy away from the truth.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 18:48:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
As expected, Gavin extends the pack of cigarettes toward Rowan. He offers his lighter, as well, and pockets both it and the smokes afterward.

"Because I cared more about my own survival than what it would cost to ensure it."

Blunt, but truthful.

He grimaces at the mention of happiness.

"Is anyone in Hoenn happy?" He scoffs. "I have people I care about and the power to protect them as well as myself. That's good enough for me."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 19:45:07 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Smoke wisped off the end of the cigarette as Rowan held it against the flame, pulling away once he was sure the tobacco was ignited successfully. A deep drag was taken before he blew the smoke upwards towards the only illuminated light, creating a haze around the bulb. “I suppose I understand that.” He’d risked everything to escape from his family and leave Galar, without regard for any consequences that would come.

“Good enough, but you aren’t happy.” Rowan ashed the cigarette into the drain on the floor, taking another drag before continuing his thought. “I don’t blame you though, it’s impossible to be happy when you live in constant fear.” He was vaguely referring to Gavin’s concerns about Declan Walsh, and the greater threat of being killed at any time.

“Did you enjoy killing her?” He had to know, remembering the conversation he’d had with about murder.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 19:53:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
His muscles tense at the mention of his fear.

Fear is a weakness, and weakness gets you killed. Only in Rocket, his father's words would have been the mantra to lead him to his grave. Fear of Rocket, of Beckett and Blackwell and now Declan Walsh, was the only thing that had kept him alive.

He glances away, using an exhale of cigarette smoke as an excuse. His stomach twists uncomfortably. When he looks back, there is no hint of it in his gaze.

Impulse makes him want to protest angrily at the notion that he'd somehow gotten off on Ozaki's suffering, but he forces himself to evaluate Rowan's point of view. How it must've looked to see him mocking a woman before he'd ended her life.

"No, Rowan, I didn't enjoy it. I never do."

He scrubs at his face with a hand.

"No more than I'd enjoy it if you turned traitor, or Oscar, or Alexandra."

Here, in quiet vulnerability, he doesn't use their surnames. Here he's thinking not of his subordinates but of his team.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 20:17:41 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Then how do you live with it?” The implications behind this question weren’t accusatory, instead more curious as to whether they’d become numb to the act entirely. There didn’t seem to be any remorse in the way that Gavin spoke, despite the apparent distaste for the murder itself.

“If I turned 'traitor', would you be able to live with killing me?”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 20:28:37 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"By reminding myself that it was her choice."

There were other murders, other actions not so easily dismissed as the responsibility of others. Those were the ones that haunted him in the small hours of the night, that woke him from sleep with the memory of burning cities.

He lives with those only because he does not want to die.

"Ozaki knew what it would mean for her if she was caught. She still leaked the information. She put your lives in danger as well as her own. If I feel sorry for anything, it's for her Pokemon — but I needed her to break."

close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 20:57:06 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Smoke exhaled from his mouth slowly as Rowan listened to the justification that Gavin had given for the murder of Aoi Ozaki, once again being reminded of the words that he was told by the other Underboss. “Chu-e had a different outlook when I asked the same question. He believes that the choice was ultimately his, no matter the crime of the victim.”

Comparing ideology didn’t help him understand the conflicting feelings that were coming from deep within, simply using the words to fill the silence and keep encroaching thoughts at bay. “I know I'm going to have to kill someone, someday.” Rowan didn’t know who or when, but the inevitability couldn’t only be delayed and not avoided entirely. “I don’t know if I’ll be able to live with it.”