thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 13:24:35 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"If we don't enforce our rules, everyone will break them."

It's clear he believes the words; there's a simmering conviction in the amber of his eyes. Had Rocket not impressed upon him their hardest lessons early, he wouldn't have survived them. He'd have run, and they'd have found him.

"So, yes, it was my choice — I'd make it again."

It was as he'd been taught. This is what's necessary.

He remains stuck on a question from earlier, unanswered. Totally not because the writer forgot to address it. It's not one he wants to answer, for he knows the truth may be upsetting. But...

"Even if it was you. Even if it was Emma, or Theo."

Here, too, he uses their names.

"You will," he agrees, somber. "I hope that you can."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 6:34:45 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Gavin seemed steadfast in his convictions, and Rowan wasn’t about to attempt to convince him otherwise. How could he? He’d never killed anyone before, he didn’t know what that was like. Perhaps there was more to his brother’s outlook than he could understand because his hands remained unstained by blood. “Sometimes I wonder if I should simply get it over with.”

Not an easy thing to admit, but being truthful with Gavin was something he considered doing more often. “Kill someone who deserves it before I'm forced to kill someone innocent.” At least then he could deal with his feelings with the solace of knowing that the person he murdered was a monster of their own.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 8:23:04 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin cants his head, considering.

"I don't know if that would help." His lips press with a frown. "Most of us didn't get a choice beyond — well, them or us. I don't know how much a difference it would make if the choice was less..."

He can't seem to think of a word to describe what he's feeling, trails off with a shake of his head.

"But if you think it would, and you're sure... fuck, it's grim, but the option's there."

Cigarette smoke dances between them as he exhales.

close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 10:09:47 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Wouldn’t help...” The cigarette was brought to his lips, inhaling the smoke before blowing outwards into the surrounding air. “...but could ease the pain should I be forced to kill someone innocent afterwards, or someone I care about.” A sigh escaped his lips as he looked towards Gavin, able to lock eyes with him once more. “I’d rather not, though.”

Weariness was heavy in his voice, obviously having considered this opportune murder at great detail. “Rocket ended up being different than I imagined.” Rowan admitted, though he was nervous to do so.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 9:16:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"How would you define innocence, Rowan?"

How much had Gavin's definition of the word been warped and changed since Rocket had sunk in its claws? He'd killed so many innocent people. Their blood no longer stained his hands but lingered on his conscience.

The admission, though nervous, is met with an understanding nod.

"I should have been more clear of our terms. That's on me."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 9:28:41 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Innocence?” He took an extended moment to consider the question, not sure whether or not there was a correct answer. “Someone free of corruption or sin, I suppose.” A soft chuckle escaped his lips as he took another drag of the cigarette. “Not anyone here in Rocket, that's for sure. Including myself.”

Rowan vehemently shook his head at the apology. “You didn’t do anything wrong and trust me I don’t regret actually joining, not really.” A hand reached up to scratch his head, shrugging his shoulders. “I regret thinking I was prepared to join when I did. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for what I just saw in there.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 6, 2021 9:47:57 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin huffs a laugh — dry, but not mocking.

"Is there anyone like that in the world?"

Even outside of Rocket, corruption was everywhere. The corruption of the League was the reason half of those in Rocket had found their way into the organization's bloodied ranks.

"Would you think of the League as innocent? If one of them had you cornered, could you pull the trigger?"

It's a tough question, and he knows it.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 4:36:09 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I believe there are plenty of people like that.” A soft shrug lifted his shoulders, leaning backwards against the cool surface of the metal. “The people that only want to do good and follow through, the justified and righteous. In a non-religious sense, of course.” Rowan was never one to buy into any sort of theism, finding the notion ridiculous to say the least. “You know what I mean, though. The ones that don’t deserve to be killed.”

Did Gavin know? Was anyone standing in their way nothing more than fodder that was waiting to be shot down? “Depends, to be honest.” Rowan considered the question for a moment, before making his decision. “In that case, I wouldn’t hesitate.” A sigh escaped his lips, taking one last drag before the cigarette was finished. “Selfish as it sounds, I value my own life far more.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:04:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I used to believe that. Now...?"

He's come a long way from the child reading stories of heroes, of righteous justice. Such innocence had been fractured long before Rocket but they'd crushed the last of it beneath their boot.

"Some people are all right."

He thinks of . How he'd healed after their excursion, how friendly the man had seemed. With Chu-e's disdain for the League, the man's trust in one of its members went a long way.

Gavin nods, a grim satisfaction with Rowan's answer settling across his features.

"Self-preservation is a hell of a motivator. I'd know."

He exhales cigarette smoke, extinguishes the filter against the floor, and lights another.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 8:23:25 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

Rowan held an empty hand out towards his brother, already having extinguished his own cigarette into the drain on the floor. “I’ve been living off self-preservation all my life.” The other hand reached up to tuck errant strands of hair behind his ear. “I don’t know, maybe I thought once I was free I could start focusing on others.” A solemn look crossed his face, unsure of his motivations as of late.

“I’m sorry if I've been critical of your methods.” Rowan couldn’t unsee the murder but he could sympathize with the struggle that Gavin went through every day. “I suppose I’ve been projecting my own regrets on you, and that isn’t fair.” He chuckled slightly, glancing towards the floor. “Hell, we’re brothers. We should be going for drinks in a bar and laughing about dumb stories, instead of lamenting in this kitchen.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 7, 2021 13:39:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Wordless, Gavin hands Rowan another cigarette.

He shakes his head in dismissal of the apology, though there's a note of understanding in his gaze.

"You've got a right to be critical. I'd rather these things be said to my face than behind my back." He knows that there are whispers, at times, fears them for what they could become. "I won't pretend I always make the right calls."

He'd thought was a mole, after all.

He does huff a surprised laugh at the last comment.

"Is that what siblings are meant to do? Can't say I had a normal childhood." He smiles, however brief. "We'll get there. I'd offer, but you've probably drank enough, mm?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 21:41:08 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“More than enough.” Amber eyes glanced at the nearly drained bottle on the counter, a dangerous amount to have drank for someone of his smaller stature. “Another time, maybe.” Rowan stuck the unlit cigarette behind his ear and used the surface of the sink to push himself upwards, shaky on his feet but ultimately able to stand.

“I should go get changed...” Flecks of blood stained the clothing he was wearing, already dried from the time between the murder and now. “...and get some sleep, hopefully.” In reality he doubted that he would be sleeping tonight, but there would be an attempt at least.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 8, 2021 22:11:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin grimaces at the mention of sleep.

"... if you're having trouble, pay a visit. He's an apothecary."

It was a dying art, but Gavin respected it for the number of times an herbal remedy or just a good joint had managed to take the edge off his issues.

"Grumpy dude, green hair, resting bitch face." Gavin grins. "Can't miss him."
close tab

played by

spiral

SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
HE/HIM
AUGUST 12
DISCORD
SHIV-SAMA-O
SHIV'S BOYFRIEND
SHIV-SAMA-O
IS MY GIRLFRIEND
777 height
777 height
THE GREATER THE DESPAIR THE SWEETER THE VICTORY
awards
5,178 posts
SPIRAL DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @spiral
SPIRAL
Lament [C]
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 22:19:39 GMT
SPIRAL Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: