6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 2, 2021 13:43:29 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
rotation battles were fun if the intent is to be confused the entire time and not worry about a thing. it's the intent for this match, though he's not certain if his opponent has the same thing on their mind.

"you ever had fun with rotation battles?" he asks, trying to make small talk. "i think they're pretty fun."

he's bad at it, but it's the thought that counts.

three mightyena enter the field from his holster, each of them popping up one by one. most of them just walk around in circles, trying to play with each other for some reason when it's clear that they're here for a battle.

kyle doesn't care though, and focuses his attention on sam.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
alone with all my illusions
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 0:58:08 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
"I suppose we'll find out soon enough."

Sam hadn't ever been in a rotation battle. He'd seen a few, streamed a few, and even made small comments about how a certain strategy would help another. Admittedly, this strategy before him had him frowning. Also, what the fuck was his Arceusdamned luck?!

Dog boy of Hoenn, Champion Kyle Fucking Lopez.

My luck...

"Hopefully I last at least ten seconds." Sam narrowed his eyes and realistically considered the statistics, then frowned. "More like, five? Hopefully five-- five seems hopeful."

If he lasted a minute he'd be impressed and call himself a decent trainer.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
Join my dream it's just the right time, woah
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 1:18:11 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
"come on, don't be like that," he tries cheering up his opponent.

optimism wasn't his strong suit. a natural aura to uplift spirits of those surrounding him manifests, managing to aid him in his endeavor without his knowledge.

"win or lose, it's an experience for both you and your mons. let's do this, yeah?"

he whistles for his pokemon to take their places, each of them scrambling away from being a jumbled mess of fur into one coherent formation for a rotation battle.

"you can take first move," he offers.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 1:32:24 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Something about the way Kyle had cheered him up felt... unnatural? Sam wasn't the type to be easily uplifted. Known to be a bit of a doubting Thomas when he tried, and he always tried. So the very fact that Kyle could make him feel better with just a few words?

And the phrase, 'you and your mons' no less?

"Interesting."

The observation was mumbled beneath his breath, but he squared his shoulders nonetheless and leaned his weight back on his heels.

"Slam."

With a command the dratini lurched forward, serpentine body moving quickly along the battle ground. With a flourish and circular flip, his body went belly first toward the closest mightyena, in an attempt to hit and paralyze.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 1:43:08 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
kyle decides to let his pokemon do their moves this time instead of him dictating it to them.

the dratini's move manages to hit some kind of nerve that leaves the mightyena paralyzed, finding difficulty in moving. fortunately for the dog, instincts kick in, and quick feet gives the pokemon enough adrenaline to push beyond its limits under duress.

it quickly goes for the baby worm dragon and grabs it by its tail. setting its fangs ablaze, fire fangs attempt to pick up the dratini and throw it off further away from him.

the dark-type howls in celebration before paralysis kicks in. his body seizes up for a moment, leaving him unable to move for a while.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 1:56:00 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Sam wasn't about to get cocky. Instead, he simply motioned for his gastly to move forward as the dratini sustained a reasonable burn. The white vulpix stayed on guard, watching the battle intently.

The nearly transparent dual type terror was quick to ghost forward into battle, attempting to hex the mightyena that seemed stuck in place.

This was a common tactic of theirs in double battles as well. One that Sam knew might have been a little unfair, but otherwise, relatively harmless.

If the Hex landed, then gastly could attempt to put the next mightyena to sleep.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 2:20:41 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
a mightyena on the back tries to argue its way to the spotlight. the paralyzed mightyena barks back in response. he's not sure what they were fighting about, but he has an idea of what it was.

the pokemon stays in, wincing when the hex manages to affect its system. it's not about to let its friends know that it's losing after all.

in a last ditch effort to show off, the mightyena releases a hyper beam towards the gastly. whether it hits it or not, kyle's pretty certain it's just going to go through it and hit some random passerby in the background.

"why would you do that?" he asks his pokemon.

a mightyena pushes its brethren aside when it needs to charge up after its attack and after its paralysis takes over its system once again, taking up the spotlight it wants.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 2:31:31 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Although Sam had been a nervous wreck before the rotation battle started, he had to admit he was definitely being entertained by the mightyenas and their champion. It was odd to see this side of somebody who the papers made out to be such a hero.

Sure, he had typically protagonist qualities—being that awkward kind of dense while somehow proving to be champion. Possibly due to sure stubborn affiliation. Or the League just wanted a good face to put out front.

Either way, Kyle made Sam feel a little less intimidated. Less like the battle was about proving himself or battling a champion and more like they were just having fun.

A lot of the times, Sam tended to forget that’s what these battles were all about.

The hyperbeam passed right through the gastly, and he quickly responded with a hypnosis. The goal was to in fact put this mightyena to sleep and then quickly duck out, allowing the alolan vulpix to take the reigns and unleash a blizzard.

Maybe somebody would become frozen?

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 3:49:47 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the first mightyena instantly falls asleep, prompting the second one to step in and take it out of the field by dragging it out by the scruff. the moment the second one steps in, a blizzard from the vulpix covers the entire field, unfortunately encasing the canine pokemon in a block of ice, frozen.

"you guys..."

he'd criticize his pokemon about better switch in timings among other things, but he knows they're just pokemon who wouldn't even listen to these lesson in strategy even if they can understand it.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 3, 2021 12:38:02 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
Sam wasn’t about to claim he was winning. No, he’d dare say it was fair. His dratini was burned and in no shape to continue, he’d returned him just to be sure the little dragon didn’t attempt to push his own limits like he was known for. Gastly wasn’t much of a match up against mightyena, so his hope was in his determined canine.

Ironic, given they were battling the self proclaimed ‘dog boy’ of Hoenn.

”Don’t stop there, you’re — no!”

Too late. The vulpix had already unleashed an extrasensory in an attempt to hit both of the mightyena that she could at the same time, cover most of the field. Though, her blizzard would have been more effect.

The vulpix was clearly mortified at its judgement call, and ended up open for an attack. It could easily flinch, and Sam nodded at his gastly to get ready for a switch.

close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 4:06:59 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
nothing on kyle's side of the field besides maybe the ice slowly melting and his other mightyena rolling in his sleep. blunders were made on both side though, but it seemed like his paralyzed mightyena was ready to make things work.

it rushes at the vulpix once again, quick feet giving it the same burst of energy to quickly bring it to one point to another with the status ailment. it throws itself at the smaller pokemon with its maw open.

flames burst forth from his fire fangs once again. this time, it finds an appropriate target that wasn't as resistant to it as a dragon-type.

"oi!" kyle calls, reminding his pokemon to take it easy.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 12:56:20 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
There it was. At least the mightyena's were ready to come at him full force. Even if Kyle was reminding them to take it easy. Sam wasn't insulted, but he did feel a tension in his shoulders at the way Kyle tried to reel him mightyena in.

That flaming chomp caused the little snow white-ish/blue vulpix to flinch, leaving her open for an attack. Sam even flinched, gritting his teeth. She wouldn't be able to endure another hit and because of that, he commanded the gastly to make his move.

As if summoned from the pits of hell within the vulpix' shadow(flavor, he just moves forward), the gastly seemed to mumble some sort of evil language known only to pokémon, a hex against it as a sort of revenge. Though more than revenge, the gastly just liked to watch other pokémon suffer-- old habits die hard.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 4, 2021 15:36:08 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
the hex affects the mightyena again, shaking its head as it tries to get it off of his system. unfortunately, it brings out the impatience on the pokemon-- and kyle quickly regrets giving his pokemon free reign on the match.

it starts to charge up energy, not needing to move an inch from where it stands. it accumulates in an instant, and its z-move finds their target at the gastly as soon as the mightyena howls.

z-move: midnight mirage

spectral wolves come from the mightyena's shadows and leap at the gastly, exploding upon contact. a smokescreen is left in its wake, which kyle ironically tries to fan out with his hand.

"you alright?" he asks, unable to see anything. he recalls the said mightyena back to its ball for punishment for going overboard in a casual battle.

close tab

played by

wizz

the ferryman
he/him
twenty-eight
october fourteenth
lavender town, kanto
knoxsexual
team rocket
executive
awards
1,306 posts
part of
TAG WITH @sam
samuel carter
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 11:55:42 GMT
samuel carter Avatar
With all three of Sam's pokémon returned, he give the sign for his surrender and ignored the comments of the spectators. Instead, he focuses on the question asked from his opponent and makes his way across the field as he returns his pokémon to his black satchel hanging comfortably across his shoulder, resting the majority of its weight on his rear.

"We're alright." Even if it was a loss for Sam, it was a fun battle. He could say most of the time he had more fun losing than he did winning.

But then again, he liked learning lessons more than teaching them.

"How about your three ever eager mightyenas?"

He had, after all, frozen one and put another to sleep.
close tab

played by

aero

dog boy
he/him
october 24
verdanturf
asexual
league officer
champion
awards
6,460 posts
kyle lopez DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @kyle
kyle lopez
kyle vs sam [H✩T]
POSTED ON Jun 5, 2021 13:04:26 GMT
kyle lopez Avatar
he looks at the three pokemon he has out in the field.

one was lying on its back, clearly having the time of its life in its sleep evidenced by the leg twitching. the other was still in a block of ice. it's only a matter of time before the sun gets it out. the other seizes up in paralysis after its rampage, unable to move an inch from its position besides twitching of its limbs.

he thinks for a moment before answering. "they're fine."

kyle takes out his phone and takes a picture of all three incapacitated dogs so he can upload them to poke-instagram. he can't be sued for pokemon abuse even with these pictures circulating since pokemon battling is legal and this was a result of it.

"wanna take a quick run to the center to heal them up?" he asks as he takes the last few shots.