Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 1:25:38 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","prydeboxbl"]

It was early in the morning and as the new lead of a project, Head Scientist Church had asked him to interview a couple of people for her. There was a trust there and he didn’t plan on betraying it, not if he eventually wanted the position himself someday. It was a tad difficult finding a day his wife could handle both their kids seeing as he was mostly responsible but he didn’t mind. [break][break]

He rubs his eyes having just dealt with Grif and Simmons. The two were like an odd married couple, but their record was impressive, and despite the headaches he feels they’ll cause the lab he’s worked with before and he knows they’ll do good work. [break][break]

Now he waits in the office for one . One of the few names on this list he doesn’t recognize.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.prydeboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#7f1f59;[/newclass]

[newclass=.prydeboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl i]color:#fff;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 2:05:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
He's nervous, terrified, but beneath it, suppressed anger roils. It's held in check by the pain he feels in his ribs when he shifts a certain way or breathes too deep, in his jaw when he opens his mouth.

Reluctantly, bitterly, he learns his place.

He's nervous because he can't afford to fuck this up. If he does, he'll have to resign himself to being nothing more than a grunt, a piece of bait thrown to the wolves. He's more than that, deserves more than that.

We own you. Your time is our time.

He swallows, knocks on the door, enters when given permission.

It's clear he doesn't quite know what to expect, or what to do with his hands. Fingers flex, nails dig against palms. He looks in the eye before catching himself and lowering his gaze. His stomach twists; subservience reminds him of his father. There's evidence of bitterness in subtle nuances he's not yet learned to hide: the press of his lips, the furrow of his brow, the tension in the slope of his shoulders.

"Dr. Pryde, sir."
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 3:10:11 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Pryde studies the younger man, looking none to impressed. Another beaten grunt was the first impression he gives off with how stiff he seems to be. But his documents claimed him to be smart, but he'll be the judge of that. "You're free to sit," he gestures to the chair. [break][break]

"So what makes you think you're qualified to join the team Mr. Merlino," its bait that he wants caught. He wants to see how far this one wants to go. After all there were doctors in Rocket wanting this, so why hire someone still learning?

[break][break][break][break]

[newclass=.prydeboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#a63d6a;[/newclass]

[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 10:21:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin dips his head in acknowledgment of the words before moving to sit across from Pryde. His movements are stiff and he winces as the movement sends a sharp stab of pain through his side, but he does not make a sound.

He doesn't miss the way Pryde stresses the question, catches the bait.

His pride is on the line. His future.

He dares to glance up, to look Pryde in the eye, to test the waters.

"I'm only twenty, sir, but I've completed my masters with distinction. I was top of my class. I was accepted into one of the most prestigious post-graduate programs in the region. The only reason I'm here, and not studying with the brightest minds of my generation, is because someone decided ethics were more important than results."

There's a note of derision in his tone that he seems to catch, late.

"I meant no disrespect, Dr. Pryde." His throat bobs as he swallows, anxious. "I-I know that I belong to Rocket, now."
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 10:40:58 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Hands entangle with each other as he studies the way he moves, seems whoever was his supervisor was a strict one. He’s quite as he listens to the other defend himself, Seemingly interested in showing off, though as soon as that spark was there it had seemed to go away. Conditioning no doubt. ”You’re right, you do,” it’s a matter of fact that even he’s come to learn, ”but there is nothing wrong in having pride in your work Merlino, if you don’t believe in your ability how can I trust it?” [break][break]

He looks back to the paper with the information on the other, ”It says your primary study is in fossils, have you actually restored any before?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 12:43:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Conditioning has him expecting reprimand for the slightest offence. He relaxes slightly at the reassurance, nodding to show he's understood.

"I'm more than confident in my own abilities. I know I can handle this."

His tone is softer, the cold arrogance forced out, but the spark behind his gaze rekindles. Academics had been his outlet when there'd been nothing else driving him forward.

"That was my post-grad," he explains. "I studied biology and evolution in Pokemon; the unique methods of fossil restoration became an interest late into my work, and one of my professors recommended me for the program."

But that hadn't been the question, so he answers, "I've never restored one entirely on my own, but I've assisted in their restoration enough to understand the process."
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 15:27:52 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

The doctor gives the younger man a smile, from their movements it seems they’ve only seen the colder side of Rocket. Pryde wants the other to know there is a better side, and make him crave it, “Thats good, I’m happy to to know you can.” [break][break]

He nods in understanding as he explains his program, ”Alright well that will be the primary focus here, though I must ask,” he leans forward a bit, ”Are you afraid of failure in your work?” he makes sure to add the last bit knowing that failure in the field had another meaning.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 15:41:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Warmth, kindness, validation — things Gavin had craved in his youth, things he'd never received from the ones who mattered most. Things he'd resigned himself to never receiving again, once Rocket closed its jaws around him.

So the smile, however fleeting, catches him off guard.

Was he being mocked? His brow furrows slightly, betraying uncertainty.

Instinct sees him lean back when Pryde leans forward, subconscious. The chair creaks as his spine presses against it.

"I-In my work," Gavin repeats, as if to affirm it to himself. He blinks, forces himself to breathe. Shakes his head. "No, sir. Failure is part of the scientific method. You won't learn what there is to improve if you don't learn from your mistakes."
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 15:56:55 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

”Good,” he almost exclaims, his tone similar to a teacher hearing their student give the right answer and his smile matches it still, “I can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve gotten grunts trying to apply, having become so afraid of failure in the field that they fear failure in their work,” its small talk he wants to show the other it’s okay to relax in his presence. ”Its no way to make progress” [break][break]

“You can relax by the way,” Pryde leans back having taken noticed that when he leaned the other moved back. He wants them comfortable, ”I have no intention of hurting you, have you worked in any of our labs before? Or has it all been field work?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 16:12:32 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin listens intently, the fear present in the wideness of his eyes.

'I have no intention of hurting you.'

He feels almost guilty, then, like a wounded animal that had bitten the hand of its rescuer. But that guilt, too, is part of his conditioning — not from Rocket, but from before. How grateful he'd been to receive any positive attention at all.

He nods, clearly not relaxed, but an effort is made as he draws slower breaths.

"Just fieldwork, so far. Training."

A reminder that to practice science was a privilege, not a right.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 16:35:22 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Pryde knows he never would’ve gotten as far as he has now if he didn’t know how to read the subtle details. Both in his work, and in those around him. But he could see the way he’s handling things and the way Gavin is trying to adjust. It was quick and its how he know he would aim to please if here, especially if he had the passion. He’ll learn to crave it here that Pryde would be assure of. [break][break]

Though he’s already made up his mind for the most part there are still steps to take. ”The early days of Rocket are admittedly rough, I wasn’t that much older than you when I joined near 10 years ago,” is a bit more personal that he wants. But he feels a trust needs to be established so that he could later bleed the loyalty for everything its worth later, ”but you’ll find that here in these labs,” because every head scientist ran things differently based off personality and project, ”as long as you don’t piss off Dr. Church, understand the pecking order, and do your work you’re free[break][break]

Pryde tilts his head as he leans it against his arm on the armrest, “Do you have any passion projects Merlino?”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 16:49:43 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Had they broken Pryde as they sought to break him, or had the older man bent easily to Rocket's iron will?

He wonders but doesn't ask.

Pryde's methods are effective. They humanize him, forcing Gavin to consider him as a person rather than a source of blind fear. The steadiness of breathing grows more natural as he listens to the other speak.

Slowly, carefully, he lowers his guard.

"I can do that, sir."

Free. A word that contradicts those of , yet one Gavin clings to in vain hope. That, with time, this might come to feel like any other job, with the security of a lifetime contract on top of it all.

"Fossils are my passion project," he explains. "Uncovering them, studying them, reviving them. Always wanted to make a living museum."

It's brief, but he manages to smile.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 17:14:23 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

And like a fisherman, Pryde had his hook in, time would only tell how deep it was. [Break][break]

"Then aren't you lucky fate brought you to these labs then," there is a hint of a jest there as he is sure the other has worked hard to even apply, "You'll find here that Dr. Church and I allow you to work on side projects should your work be done and satisfactory," he gives the other a look one of challenge that he wants the other to rise to. [Break][break]

"But can you just give satisfactory or can you bring more?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 17:38:40 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's throat closes around instinctive bitterness.

No, luck had nothing to do with it. It was submission that had led him here, sacrificed dignity. But that's not Pryde's fault.

Pryde knows the words to keep him hooked when he might otherwise slip, tempts him with the bait of his passion before yanking the line with a challenge. Gavin seems to consider his words.

There's no mistaking the gleam of ambition, now.

"I'll bring you whatever you want and more, sir. I don't half-ass my job."

close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
Interview
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 18:13:52 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

His smile widens, he's pleased at the result of everything and how this has all gone. "That's what I love to hear Merlino, and I'm sure I'll look forward to working with it," he's dangling the offer right at the edge. But first... [Break][break]

"Just a few more questions, first how well do you think you can work with others?" he looks down to the file again, "And who do you work under?"