thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 20:14:03 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It isn't the first transfer they've had from Kanto and it won't be their last; Gavin thinks nothing of it when his assistant tells him that he'll be scheduled for another check-in. Orientation was usually short and not-so-sweet, laying down the law as to how things might differ between the two Rocket-occupied regions.

He leaves his office door unlocked, instructs his assistant to send them in.

When the door opens, Gavin glances up from a stack of folders on his desk, the one on top visible as the file for one .

Though significantly more scarred than when he'd seen him last, Gavin would know the face of Dr. Raphael Pryde anywhere.

He blinks, shock registering clear in his expression — then smiles.

"Dr. Pryde, what an unexpected surprise."

He gets up from his desk, crosses the room in a few long strides to offer a hand.
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 20:27:51 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","prydeboxbl"]

After a nice little poker game, and winning nice little prizes from and his terrible bets Pryde was riding a high. Even with having to go under water in a sub all to meet the new heads of this branch of Rocket. As usual he would keep himself professional, there was a pecking order to be obeyed. [break][break]

The feeling of the office is very familiar, but no as much as the man in front of him. Red eyes widen in some shock to see one of his previous lab men here. The the office of an underboss no less. "Dr Merlino, this is indeed a surprise," his smile seems genuine as the other offers his hand. He seems hesitant for a moment but in the end does offer his gloved prosthetic to shake. [break][break]

Despite the glove though the metal could still be felt, the other might find the grip harsher than what Pryde had indented. The prosthetic still new.

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.prydeboxbl]font:11px roboto;--accent:#a63d6a;[/newclass]

[newclass=.prydeboxbl b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl i]color:#fff;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 20:38:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
It's the right hand he offers, habitual, though once he would have offered Pryde his left. Only when a firm metal grip crushes against his own does Gavin register that anything was amiss. To his credit, he doesn't wince.

"Hell of a grip you've got, Pryde."

His smile widens to a brief grin, a flash of his canines before it fades back to his characteristic neutrality.

"Come in, sit. What brings you to Hoenn?"

He sits down in his chair, and a Sylveon that had been sleeping underneath the desk hops into his lap. Gavin strokes his fingers idly through its fur, pink-and-white ribbons curling around his forearm.

close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 20:51:26 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Being the man of science where observation was key, and while there is no wince its the words that give it away as he pulls back twisting his hand some, "Apologies, it's still new for me."[break][break]

Pryde takes the offered chair as the underboss sits, only after the other sits of course. "Finally out of recovery after everything, I was told if I wanted my old possition back though I should help here in Hoenn and so," he shrugs, "Here I am, I had heard you had come here as well, but never thought I'd see you in the chair of Underboss"[break][break]

He can't help but learn forward, curious, "How does it feel?"

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

[newclass=.prydeboxbl a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#db4253;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokesprite]color:#7f1f59; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-top:6px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.prydeboxbl .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:06:24 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin offers a dismissive flick of his wrist, the left, light catching on his scarred palm.

No doubt Pryde would remember the injury, as it had been a long process of recovery during which time he'd been forced to adapt to the use of his right hand, but Pryde's injuries were not similarly familiar to the underboss.

Before he can ask, the subject turns to his position.

Pryde had always encouraged his ambition, so Gavin doesn't shy from the proud curve of his lips. When Pryde leans forward, Gavin doesn't lean back. He leans in, as well, as if they're sharing secrets.

"Liberating." How far he'd come. "I'm still beholden to Walsh, of course, but — to have real agency, after everything in Kanto? Best feeling in the world."

He was afraid, still. He would always be afraid of someone, something above himself. But it was less and less with each rung climbed.

"I'll admit, I've not heard much news out of Kanto. What happened?"

He gestures vaguely, indicating Pryde's injuries.

close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:24:18 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

He can't help but enjoy the way the other leans in as well. A stark contrast from their first interaction so many years ago, and still different from what he used to be. "I can imagine," he knows the power he felt when he was promoted to Head Scientist, how much liberty he was given then. So could imagine it would be the same if not better for the now Underboss. [break][break]

Though as his injuries were brought up, Raphael looks down at his arm before giving a dark chuckle, "What can I say? I raised a soldier, have you heard of my son?" if not much word has gotten out he's curious on what the other knows.

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:41:47 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Asriel had trained with Beckett's group on occasion and Raziel had been a common sight in the labs. But with knowledge of the injuries, there's no doubt as to which son Pryde means.

"I've seen Raziel's name on the list of defectors." A sympathetic grimace. "No word as to where he might be. Asriel's here in Hoenn, though. Came over with Beckett and the others recently."

Suzume, Victoria, Bael. His team, reunited.

"He turned on you, then?"
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:53:02 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

The sympathy is ignored. He's had 3 years now to think on it and while still bitter it didn't give him the same rise of anger like before. [break][break]

"He did, it was.... quite the surprise to say the least," if either of his sons was going to do anything to such an extreme he'd expect it from . Not the docile child that he raised in the labs with him who was always so desperate to please. "Guess there is no helping teenage rebellion on some"

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 21:58:14 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I can only imagine."

When he'd seen Raziel's name among those who'd turned traitor, Gavin had assumed the boy to have crumbled beneath Rocket's harsh treatment and ran. He wouldn't have expected him to inflict the sort of injuries Pryde had suffered.

Gavin's laughter is grim, dark.

"Guess not. Did your wife follow you over?"
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 22:15:49 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Pryde only offers a shrug about his son, wasn't much that could be done about it now. Only prey for his son that he doesn't show is face again. [break][break]

"No, her uses as an enforcer were still needed back in Kanto," he explains simply chuckling lightly, "seems like catching up isn't as fun as I would've like. But what about here? Humor in Kanto is that things are done a little different here, but no one seems clear as to how"

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 9, 2021 22:43:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
From the sounds of it, Pryde wasn't having the best luck.

Gavin could relate to being the fish out of water, scooped away from the comfort of a familiar pond and dumped in some strange ocean.

"Blackwell's approach in Hoenn really fucked us."

It's something he can say, now, with confidence and without glancing nervously about as if the ghost of the former Rocket boss might kick in the door and strangle him. Blackwell's era was over.

"Kanto wasn't ready for us. Hoenn was. Brute force proved ineffective, and those of us that survived the fall had to learn to adapt. Less blackmail, less wanton destruction, no more eating our own."

He leans back in his chair.

"Beckett calls us soft, but I don't think he misses the old ways any more than I do. Our way reminds me of how you'd run the labs, really." A soft huff of amusement as he realizes. "We learn from our mistakes more than we punish them."

It's possible Kanto's changed, too; he's not been back since Hoenn.

"Former Beast Choi is my counterpart, and the Wolfe is an admin. Beckett as well, now. Decker and Calcifet are the others."

He knew Walsh, Gavin's sure. The man had been an admin in Kanto.

"Flint and Sharp run the labs, and — ah." Gavin blinks. "Do you know about Darkrai?"

Perhaps Pryde might feel a strange PRESSURE settling over the room. Not the influence of Darkrai, but of another lurking shadow.

close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 3:48:44 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

The fact the other feels okay with speaking so openly about the way the previous leader speaks volume on how much the other has changed and how different this branch seemed to be. There is a small sneer on his face at the mention of Beckett, but he says nothing about him. He ponders a bit on what he means on being soft but he supposes eventually he'll see it with his own two eyes. [break][break]

"How I used to do things huh? You mean to tell me you've mastered the art of emotional manipulation then?" both tone and body language clearly scream that its a joke as he says this. Even with the way he gives a small chuckle, though he knows its how he personally did things. However he figures Gavin means more the way he supported to make his people loyal and want to thrive. [break][break]

As the other gives names he only recognizes a few, again the sneer is back as he hears Theo is back to being admin. "So you're telling me I've just stolen pokemon from an admin then? Well ain't that a bitch," there is a chuckle there, no he doesn't plan on giving them back, a bet was a bet. He'd explain it more if they other were to ask though. [break][break]

"I'm afraid I only know 3 of the names you've given as for Darkai I do, Walsh gives reports often over to Kanto. About Darkrai, Lugia, Avatars..." he trails off as with the way he's saying them they're clearly just words without any real understanding. Though how do you give understanding to things that were simply creatures of legends until recently. [break][break]

Just like knowing the name wouldn't prepare him from the sudden pressure in the room which causes him to look around. Unsure if something was there or if there was a problem with the ship. "Engineering issues?" he can't help but question?

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 11:59:30 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Perceptive as he is, Gavin doesn't miss the way a sneer curls at the mention of . Immediately, a spark of something fierce and protective kindles in his chest, though he doesn't act upon it with haste.

He does laugh at the joke, a scoff that scrapes his throat.

Pryde's sneer returns with Beckett's name and a flash of anger surges through Gavin.

It's the reason for the Sylveon curled in his lap. Sensing his agitation, the Pokemon sends pulses of soothing energy through the ribbons coiled around Gavin's arm. It takes the edge off, allows him to think clearly.

"I do hope 'stole' is a metaphor."

Though he does not make any move to aggression, there's a firm edge to Gavin's tone that suggests a shift. He spoke now as an underboss. As Beckett's friend, rather than Pryde's. His amber stare burns dark, menacing. Watch it.

He shakes his head at the question.

"No, I'd imagine that's Lugia." He glances over his shoulder to the window behind him, red eyes gleaming. His lip quirks, fond, before he turns back to Pryde. "So you know I'm it's avatar, then?"
close tab

played by

King

Lloyd Kvar
he/him
October 24
Married
Scientist
Ex-Head Scientist
203 height
203 height
awards
569 posts
part of
TAG WITH @pryde
Raphael Pryde
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 16:04:14 GMT
Raphael Pryde Avatar
[nospaces]

Perhaps his time on medical leave has made his expressions too loose as he could pick something was off. It doesn’t take long to wonder what as the only offense that could be taken would be on his thoughts of Theo. He’s a tad surprise its that, but he supposes that in the end all those years with Theo still ran deep with the other. Raphael nods his head respectfully as he could tell an authoritative tone when he heard it, ”Of course, he just lost a bet in Unova Hold ‘Em at the casinos is all, you’ve played with me you know I wouldn’t hold back,” even if he knew the other kept his admin role here. Or it had been awhile since his son had left and he was joining Theo. [break][break]

Looking from the walls, he looks back to Gavin. Following his gaze until it landed on the red eye behind the window. His expression was one of surprise then awe at being able to see a beast of legend with his very own eyes. Fascinating felt like an understatement. ”I do,” he answers simply as if its old news, ”But I can’t really say I understand it, just best described as a deity sharing its power with a human, but like our very waters,” he gestures his hands around them, “Just because I step in the ocean doesn’t mean I understand the whole thing” [break][break]

“What’s it like?”

[break][break]

+
[break]+ Social

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,862 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
reunion
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2021 16:30:15 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Where Beckett had rebelled against Gavin's authority, Pryde folds.

Smart man.

Theo had gotten away with it because of their history. Even then, Gavin had reprimanded a misunderstanding with a fist to Theo's jaw.

"Ah, he should've known not to bet against you."

Gavin was good at poker, had even managed to win against Pryde a couple times, but he knew the other's skill far surpassed his own. Pryde had, after all, mastered the art of emotional manipulation.

It's comfortable to let the subject shift, so he does.

"I barely understand it myself. That's part of what makes it so exhilirating."

He extends his scarred hand, palm up, and allows the miasma to bleed from his skin. It billows, thick purple-black fog that seems attracted to the underboss as it snakes around his arm, pools along the floor and fills the room.

"We've yet to figure out the extent of what it can do, but it centers around shadow Pokemon. Those under my jurisdiction are stronger, faster, more obedient — in part because Lugia itself is shadowed, no doubt." Gavin's pupils dilate as he breathes in the miasma, adrenaline spiking through his veins. To Pryde, it would do nothing. The underbosses silhouette seems to twist in the fog. "On Mt. Pyre, I managed to take command of a fainted Pokemon. Not my own."