[m] picking up the pieces

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park

close tab

played by

i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 19:32:49 GMT
Deleted Avatar
small steps first. bigger later. Shiloh liked that she could start small. it wasn't always about risk and reward; though it was a big part of it. the League set her up with jobs that would be easier for her skill level. she'd learn and grow from them. hopefully faster, but she could also do a slow pace.

when you're at war with another organization, sometimes you had to place the big guns in front. let the little guys work their way up. "okay" she wipes a brow, standing in the middle of Slateport Beach. with her was Marie, the Lopunny beginning to bend over and pluck a piece of wrapper into a plastic bag.

biodegradable, of course! Shiloh had one of those spear-sticks to poke and grab. Marie was more hands on, but Shiloh wasn't going to let her get into anything dangerous or gross. "let's get to it, Marie" she says to the Lopunny, who nods in agreement. they begin, unaware the League had sent someone else along to help.

1/5 + w/ open
close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
old habits die hard, i guess.
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 21:08:33 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"Aw, you got started without me." Derek chimes in from behind the duo, the beach of sand silencing his footsteps as he approached. The way here was a long one from where he had been staying, and getting up early was, well, getting harder. Even just getting out of bed proved enough of a struggle, sometimes.

"It's nice to know people still care about keeping things clean around here. I'm Derek by the way. And that-" Pointing out to the ocean, a shy little Sobble could be seen poking it's head out from the water, observing the new faces cautiously from afar. "That's Jonesy. He'll come say hi when he feels like it. Not sure he'll be much help cleaning though."

Fanning open his own bag, Derek's pace quickens as he begins to try and catch up with how much trash the girl had collected so far. Moving a little ways off as to cover more ground, it strikes him that he forgot to ask. "I overheard that one there is Marie, but what's your name? If you care to tell, anyway. Won't hurt my feelings if you don't."
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 22:43:23 GMT
Deleted Avatar
Shiloh gave a start, not expecting nor hearing the young man. her blonde locks whipped in front of her face as she turns, seeing him standing there. out of thin air. like a ninja. she gave an awkward, nervous chuckle. "everyone's too busy with the Tournament to really care" she points out with a sigh "but someone has to pick up."

and that someone was a rookie League member.

"nonsnese; I'm Shiloh" she introduces herself, seeing as he heard Marie's name she left it out "it's nice to meet you, Derek" her head turns to the Sobble "and Jonesy" the Lopunny would wave a paw at the other Pokémon politely before continuing to pick up the trash "have you guys been in Hoenn long?"

2/5 + w/
close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 23:19:11 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"That's right! I've been meaning to go check it out. Might end up making a fool of myself, but I really wanted to try and sign up for a battle if it's not too late." Smiling awkwardly as he thought about it alongside her question, Derek stops picking up trash to rub the back of his head nervously.

"And I just got back from Johto, actually...but I was here for a couple years before that. You don't seem to recognize me - NOT that that's a problem or anything! I sorta prefer it that way right now. But I, well, I actually used to be a gym leader over in Petalburg." Realizing that he'd stopped working out of nervous reflex, Derek quickly darts around to pick up the remaining trash that littered the section he was in. "I miss it. Not being a gym leader necessarily, but the city. How about you though? Been in Hoenn for long?"
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Jun 30, 2021 23:29:05 GMT
Deleted Avatar
she begins to spear a large pile of trash, shoving it into the plastic bag. "I used to be a pro-trainer back in Nimbasa" Shiloh admits "had the whole set of badges; but Hoenn... everyone has more experience. I don't think I'll participate in the Tournament; but good luck to you. I'll root for your success." she was just starting over and didn't think she had what it took.

Johto though. "lucky - I always wanted to go there" she sighs wistfully. his next statement catches her off guard. a gym leader? picking up trash? well! you learn something new every day, huh? "honestly" Shiloh begins "that's admirable. I get starting over. but you're doing chores us lowly cadets are stuck with despite your experience." maybe one day she could battle Derek.

and see what he was made of.

"ah... you're looking at a new recruit of the League" she chuckles "gotta start somewhere. I just got here a few days ago. picked up work in Lilycove part time to pay bills. the usual adulting stuff."

3/5 + w/

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 0:45:14 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"Thanks, I appreciate it." Derek responds before finding himself chuckling some at the notion only lowly cadets should have to clean. "I've just always took well to being part of the community, I guess. Y'know, participating, even with menial things like cleaning up. And I am a cadet now anyway, same as you. Can't really blame them for demoting me. Not with how I left...and the timing couldn't have been worse, I reckon."

Rounding up the last bit of trash in sight around him, Derek tied off the bag before letting loose another pokemon. The Machamp that came out seemed eager, ready for anything...at least until it realized what it was being tasked with. "Randal, could you take that over to the dumpster for me?"

As if to show off to the Lopunny it noticed, Randal's reluctant stance soon turned into vigor. But instead of walking it over, he lifted the trash bag and hurled it the entire distance, plummeting into the metal container with an audible thud. Derek couldn't help but look bewildered for a moment, but soon returned his attention to the conversation they were having. "How different is Hoenn from Nimbasa? Like, besides the trainers being tougher, is there anything you miss?"
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 1:18:51 GMT
Deleted Avatar
"guess I always imagined cadets getting the ringer when we first join up" Shiloh shakes her head, locks flying everywhere "but people have been nice. I volunteered for this job they gave me. I could have done something else, yeah." she wanted to be 'part of the community' too, but only knew a handful of people so far.

that included Derek.

Marie eyed the Machamp, unimpressed by his display of raw power. the trash exploded even all over the inside of the dumpster too at the forceful impact. she tsk'ed and turned away. "honestly" her trainer would go on "there's more rural areas here. apart from some big cities like Lilycove and Slateport..." she adds with a nod, placing a full bag of garbage to the side.

she'd shake out another bag. "Unova is more... advanced, architecture wise. Nimbasa was all entertainment, busy living. the ocean is nice here in Hoenn. I like being near the wilderness" Hoenn had its scientific research and advancements too but Unova... well, it was more along the lines of modern buildings "originally I'm from Kanto" she pauses, grimacing "you can tell how that went."

4/5 + w/

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 1:49:48 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
"Randal, go clean that up or you don't get to enjoy the beach later with the rest of us." Averting his gaze from the Machamp, Derek took in what Shiloh had to say with a long pause. "Well, you're not entirely wrong. I guess it's just one way of determining just how dedicated you are, y'know? Hoenn needs good people now more than ever. And from what I've seen so far, you fit the bill. As for Kanto...I'm sorry to hear it. I can, well, I can only imagine."

Even being on the other side of Mt. Silver, Derek and his parents always harbored fear of the wide-growing influence of Team Rocket. And things weren't looking to bright here in Hoenn, either. His little sister used to talk about going over there and beating them all up. Wishing it were that easy, Derek couldn't help but ask.

Scouring the area for any stray morsels of garbage, the lonely Sobble finally came out from the water, plucking a piece of garbage near Shiloh and handing it to her with a worried look on it's face - as if it's whole life was riding on whether she accepted it's help or not.
close tab

played by

awards
0 posts
Deleted DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @Deleted
Deleted
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 2:08:02 GMT
Deleted Avatar
good people, her? the young woman's cheeks turned a bit pink, uncertain on what to reply back except "thanks" but Kanto made her pause. Shiloh shook her head, dismissing it. "I was ten when we moved to Unova; I didn't really... get to know Kanto that much. except on trips to Goldenrod then to Saffron." she rolls her eyes at the exhaustive memory. as a kid and teenager, she hadn't appreciated the time they had in Kanto.

she regretted it.

her dad had still worked at Saffron until Rocket took over. he barely fled with his life back to Unova, glad to put down roots there. until she was twenty, trips to Kanto were common. they even had a vacation home in Pallet Town. guess that was all destroyed now. it was really sad. "I... just felt I had to do something" Shiloh fidgeted lightly "I may not have my Unova League team, but I can't sit by and do nothing." surely Derek felt the same way.

she glanced away, embarrassed at her ambition. it was only when the Sobble appeared did she start before bending down. "thanks, Jonesy" she beams at him, placing the last piece of garbage into the trash. she wipes a brow, looking over their assigned stretch of the beach. spotless. "well, we did good work. thanks for the help, Derek." she adds to him.

5/5 + w/

close tab

played by

noble

hoffman
he/him
twenty-eight
october 20th
blackthorn city, johto
heterosexual
ranger
ex-gym leader
missing no.
5'11" height
5'11" height
awards
1,361 posts
part of
TAG WITH @derek
DEREK HOFFMAN
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 4:00:47 GMT
DEREK HOFFMAN Avatar
Taking note of her mannerisms when he commended Shiloh for what she did, as small as she thought it to be, Derek couldn't help but smile a little. "I mean it." The thing was, all these powerful trainers didn't always stop to help the little guy. Not with the little things like this. Many were preoccupied with bigger tasks, bigger threats. Derek looked up to Mateo Martinez, but he never really had the time to sit down and talk with them. The few times he interacted with his idol, it was always a battle, or something to that effect.

He really just wanted a mentor.

"Well, I can't speak much on that. I've tried to avoid messing with Team Rocket. We can't really wipe them off the map, so pissing them off doesn't seem like the move. I wouldn't want to instigate anymore violence. I'd like to think Hoenn has seen enough of that."

But what did he know?

Chuckling at his Sobble that began crying, Derek finished tying up his second bag before offering his shoulder to the little guy. His tears of joy continued, however, drenching the trainer's shirt seemingly without end. "These are happy tears by the way. Thanks for the help Jonesy." Patting the Sobble's head, it eventually calmed down and looked between the two humans as it seemed like they were saying their farewells.

"No problem, and thank you too. I'm gonna go and get changed, but we should hang out sometime. Maybe take a trip to look for wild pokemon, or something. I'll look for you in Lilycove." Dismissing himself with a wave over the shoulder, Derek turned to make his way back into town.
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,978 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2021 7:01:22 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
@shiloh