he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,419 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2021 17:15:15 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
It had been a few days since Hideo had left home, and the adjustment hadn’t been easy. Even if he’d prepared for it in terms of gear and Pokemon, having to deal with a complete shakeup of his life was rough - even if it was something he’d chosen to do.

But he was adjusting, even if slowly. He hadn’t left the Route 116 woods just yet; his justification was to fully survey the area he’d chosen for his camp, but part of it did include laying low as he was certain his parents were already trying to get people to search for him. Wouldn’t surprise him if they were already trying to get to look - if he even had time with his duties.

And he liked just being able to wander around, without having to think about meeting back with a mentor. Without needing to get back home before dark. Without needing to come up with an excuse for why he was a few minutes late for coming back.

As he walked, he was accompanied by a pair of Pokemon; the small blue Meowstic kept pace with him, following by his side, while a puffy Whimsicott flew slightly ahead of him, the puffy Pokemon letting himself be carried by the wind as he tried to get the boy to follow him.

As far as Hideo knew, his Whimsicott was just aimlessly floating around, guiding him towards nowhere in particular. Little did he know his Whimsicott was bringing him to a spot it had found before; a camp that wasn’t his own, in these very woods. Hideo would only realize it the moment he reached the opening, and his Meowstic Telepathically informed him what they’d found (he had the foresight to have his Meowstic Role Play that ability prior to their little adventure).

Whose camp is this?” Hideo asked aloud, unsure if somewhere was here or not.

close tab

played by

Magnere

The Saint of Slateport
She/Her
November 23
Outside Ballonlea
Bisexual
Trainer
Sergeant
Single
320 height
320 height
Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence.
awards
635 posts
Ruby Walker DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ruby
Ruby Walker
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 22:13:43 GMT
Ruby Walker Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]
[attr="class","rolling-contain"]
[attr="class","rolling-header"]
[attr="class","rolling-team"]

[attr="class","rolling-thread"][attr="class,"faction"]It was time to say goodbye.[break][break]

Not to her pokemon or to anybody in particular, but this way of life. It was strange, all her time spent camping she always wondered what it would be like to actually have a place to live here. And yet, now that she just got an apartment of her own, smack dab in the middle of the big city, she almost didn't want to go. She had grown so comfortable with this, with enjoying the wind in her hair, the sounds of wild pokemon, and the soft morning dew. Now, she'd have to contend with smog, bright advertising billboards, and car horns all night long. [break][break]

She let out a sigh, just laying down flat on the ground outside her tent. The grass beneath felt so cool, she was absolutely going to miss this. Even still, the majority of her belongings were at the new apartment. All she had was her tent, bedding, and her Pokemon. It was really, all she needed. She was happy like this... [break][break]

But sometimes, it was time to grow up. To embrace destiny without fighting back. [break][break]

And yet, all she wanted to do was run away into the woods and never stress about anything ever again. It would have been so peaceful to live out here.[break][break]

She heard someone else approaching before she saw them, always focused on the sounds around them. And yet, she couldn't be bothered to even move. Whether it was simply apathy or an attempt to ignore them and continue to relax, Ruby wasn't quite sure. Regardless, as soon as they spoke her eyes fluttered open and she slowly looked over at .[break][break]

"Huh," Ruby said out loud, quite confused. What was it with these kids stumbling into her camps? First , now Hideo? Despite her confusion, she'd smile over at him before laying back down. At least it was a friendly face. "Hey Hideo, it's Ruby. Hunting for wild Pokemon, huh?"
[break][break]
[attr="class","rolling-divide"]
[break]

notes ...

[break]
[attr="class","rolling-tag"]
</>

[newclass=.ruby .rolling-contain]width:375px;height:auto;border:none;padding-bottom:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-header]width:375px;height:160px;overflow:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-team]width:405px;margin-left:-380px;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;height:23px;padding:8px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.8;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-team:hover]margin-left:-10px;transition:all .75s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-thread]width:315px;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 30px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-thread b]font-weight:bold;color:#B8D9EC;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-tag]padding:5px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:6px;color:#c2c2c2;text-transform:lowercase;letter-spacing:0.2px;font-weight:700;border-radius:3px;font-weight:600;font-family:verdana;/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-tag a]font-weight:600!important;font-size:6px!important[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-divide]margin-top:5px;width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,419 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2021 23:33:47 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
It wasn't too surprising that someone answered his question. He'd be surprised if there wasn't at least someone here, or even just a few Pokemon guarding the camp. He had a number of Pokemon guarding his right now.

But what did catch Hideo off guard was that he recognized the voice. And she recognized him.

Hideo froze in place. Oh boy. He hadn't expected to meet anyone he knew this soon, especially not this close to where he was staying.

But the way she asked him what he was up to...had nobody told her yet?

Hideo took a few steps away from the woods he'd emerged from. "Hey, Ruby," he said, somewhat hesitant. "I, uh, didn't know you were camping out here." He was careful not to add "too" at the end there - even if he liked Ruby, he knew he had to be tight-lipped about where he was set up.

"I'm not really looking for any Pokemon around here," he said, slowly being lead to Ruby by his Meowstic. "Just taking a look around - well, as good a look as I can get. Not something I got to do much until now." There was a slight pause as he thought back over the past few days. "Though I did catch a Girafarig a couple days ago. Another psychic-type for me."

He stopped walking once his Meowstic stopped him, close to Ruby. "So what're you up to out here? Getting some outdoor time while summer's still around?"

close tab

played by

Magnere

The Saint of Slateport
She/Her
November 23
Outside Ballonlea
Bisexual
Trainer
Sergeant
Single
320 height
320 height
awards
635 posts
Ruby Walker DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ruby
Ruby Walker
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2021 1:02:55 GMT
Ruby Walker Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]

[attr="class","rolling-thread"][attr="class,"faction"]As Hideo approached, Ruby continued to lay down. She doubted he would care if she didn't look him in the eyes as she spoke to him. Instead, her eyes were drifting to the clouds above, simply watching them slowly float bye as she listened to him speak. Just looking around? It was certainly a strange way to phrase it. Why did he specifically mention he couldn't do it much until now? Was something stopping him? Could be as simple as a hurting leg. After all they've been up to she wouldn't blame him. [break][break]

However, at the mention of the Girafarig Ruby couldn't help but smile widely. He really was slowly following in her metaphorical footsteps with a psychic preference. "That's lovely! Duo, my own Girafarig, is very content to just graze around and be lazy. His other half, however? Quite bitey. Make sure one of your Pokemon ensures you don't approach him from behind, huh?"[break][break]

As he finally stopped right next to her, Ruby turned her head slightly to look up at him. What was she doing here? She opened her mouth to speak, only to close it as she struggled to find a sensible explanation that didn't involve opening up to the young boy. And yet, her silence at this point was certainly obvious. [break][break]

"... Honestly," Ruby began, sighing as she just closed her eyes. "You wouldn't laugh at me if I said I was scared of moving into my new apartment, would you? I've been camping and staying in motels, traveling all across Hoenn for nearly two years. And it's, kind of all that I know here." She'd roll her eyes at her own predicament. "I know, it's silly. I just, don't think I'm ready to say goodbye to the freedom of it all just yet. Figured, one last night out here, you know?"

[break][break]
[break]

notes ...

[break]
</>

[newclass=.ruby .rolling-contain]width:375px;height:auto;border:none;padding-bottom:5px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-header]width:375px;height:160px;overflow:hidden;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;overflow:hidden;text-align:left;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-team]width:405px;margin-left:-380px;transition:all .5s;text-align:right;height:23px;padding:8px;background-color:#212121;opacity:0.8;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-team:hover]margin-left:-10px;transition:all .75s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party]width:30px;filter:grayscale(100%) brightness(50%) contrast(75%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.party:hover]filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);transition:all .5s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.active]width:30px;filter:grayscale(0%) brightness(100%) contrast(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-thread]width:315px;background-color:#212121;font-family:monospace;font-size:10px;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:-.1px;padding:20px 30px;color:#999999;[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-tag]padding:5px;background-color:#1a1a1a;font-size:6px;color:#c2c2c2;text-transform:lowercase;letter-spacing:0.2px;font-weight:700;border-radius:3px;font-weight:600;font-family:verdana;/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-tag a]font-weight:600!important;font-size:6px!important[/newclass]
[newclass=.ruby .rolling-divide]margin-top:5px;width:auto;height:1px;border-bottom:solid 1px #1a1a1a;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,419 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2021 2:29:54 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Now that he was close enough - and certain of where Ruby was laying - Hideo took a seat. He could feel the damp grass on his hands. Seemed like a nice place to lay back, so he did just that - and found the bountiful fluff of his Whimsicott on his back, the small Pokemon having stealthily descended and left a cushion for his trainer.

His Meowstic mimicked him, lying back in the fluff.

Yeah, that’s what my Rotomdex said,” Hideo casually responded. “Doesn’t stop it from snapping when I get close. Hasn’t actually bit me, but I’m not gonna test my luck.” Arceus-forbid he get an injury like that so soon. “At least everything that isn't the tail is nice. But I guess I won’t be riding on top of him if I gotta worry about his butt biting mine.

Hideo tilted his head a little. He honestly hadn’t expected her to actually live like this, rather than just a little retreat. “Nah, I wouldn’t laugh,” he said, “but I didn’t know you camped out like this. You just camp out here outside the city? I know Doug was living in a homeless camp for a while, with a bunch of other people. Dunno if he still does though.” He’d be shocked if still lived at a camp, being a gym leader and part of the military.

It was kind of funny how their situations were polar opposites; Ruby was giving up her freedom just as he was gaining his own. She was going to stop camping, just as Hideo was settling down in his own. He wanted to laugh, but he didn’t want Ruby to think he was mocking her. “A big change like that can be pretty scary, so it makes sense you want one last night out. I was pretty scared when I left home, and I’m still trying to settle into it. But I’m gonna do what you did and travel all over Hoenn.

He lied back, his Whimsicott’s fluff making an excellent pillow as a wide grin covered his face. “‘course, I’m gonna be getting badges too. Gonna go to all the gyms. And after that, the Elite Four.” He raised a hand, pointing up towards the sky. “And after that, the Champion!

close tab

played by

Magnere

The Saint of Slateport
She/Her
November 23
Outside Ballonlea
Bisexual
Trainer
Sergeant
Single
320 height
320 height
awards
635 posts
Ruby Walker DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ruby
Ruby Walker
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2021 16:30:29 GMT
Ruby Walker Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]

[attr="class","rolling-thread"][attr="class,"faction"]Ruby was quiet as she listened to Hideo speak. There was a sort of honesty that really only came from someone so young. It was, refreshing. She had been dealing with everyone else's problems for so long, that even having anyone talk about how she felt for a time was incredibly comforting. He just set out on his own journey too and planned to get all the badges and beyond. Despite her anxiety, she couldn't have stopped herself from smiling at his conviction. This blind boy had so much confidence, it was inspiring. [break][break]

With a quiet sigh, Ruby closed her eyes for a moment as she spoke. "Not just, outside the city, you know. I camped out all across Hoenn, everywhere I could find. I've camped on beaches, mountains, in trees, and in caves. I've been all across this region, and it's simply beautiful. Still... I thank you." [break][break]

She'd turn her head to look at him. Even if he couldn't really do the same, it simply felt a bit more polite. "I guess, I am just scared of change, yeah. I think I just needed to hear that it wasn't irrational. That said heading out on your own can be pretty fun too. Finally going on your journey, huh?"[break][break]

"Challenging the gyms... You know, that's what I did for a long time." Now it was her turn to feel confident, smirking ever so slightly as she sat up. Reaching over towards her backpack, she began to dig around in it as she spoke. "Would you believe that I almost beat the champion when he was still an E4 member? It was a close match!" [break][break]

After a few more moments, she'd finally find what she wanted. "Aha! Here, check it out. Here's my badge case, filled with the badges I have." With that said, she'd slowly reach out and gently press the case into his hands. "Go ahead and open it up, feel the badges if you want. I haven't challenged a gym in a long time, but I got almost all those in the first year I explored."

[break][break]
[break]

notes ...

[break]
</>

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,419 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2021 23:08:37 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
"It's kinda neat you got to camp everywhere!" Hideo, he didn't really intend to move his camp much, if at all. He had to blame for that idea; with how much mobility he had between his teleporting and flying Pokemon, he always had a way back to his camp. And it was a secure place he could always go back to if needed.

"I actually met someone camping on a beach, once. Back in Slateport. I didn't even know people camped at the Slateport beach 'till then." It'd been a while back, one night he'd been hunting Pokemon. A shame he couldn't actually catch any, but he didn't mind getting to fly on a Skarmory for the first time.

Hideo smiled; it was nice to hear Ruby wasn't against him going on the journey like this. "Yeah. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, but I didn't get a chance to do it 'till now." He had to take time to prepare, and he had to do it under his parents' noses. Asking his parents directly never worked, despite his accomplishments. So now here he was. "I wanted to do it ever since I was ten, but hey, I'm doing it now." He was getting close to twelve, but better late than never.

At the mention of Ruby's own accomplishments, Hideo opened his mouth in awe. "I didn't know you got all the way to the Elite Four!" To Hideo, that seemed so far away. "That's awesome! I got a ways to go until I get there."

Hideo could hear her going through her bag, his interest piqued when she mentioned her own badge collection. When she offered to let him feel which ones she'd gotten, he nodded - no way he'd reject that offer.

Once placed in his hands, he opened up the case, giving a preliminary sweep to feel just how many she had before going over each one with his fingers. "That's a lot of badges!" he exclaimed.

Going over the shape and size of each one, he realized every single one was completely new to him. "I only got one badge so far, and that was before I started doing the circuit. Well, I guess two, but I don't think the second one counts 'cause I got it trom a retired gym leader during the Star Tournament. Still, I keep it around. And it feels nice to have."

close tab

played by

Magnere

The Saint of Slateport
She/Her
November 23
Outside Ballonlea
Bisexual
Trainer
Sergeant
Single
320 height
320 height
awards
635 posts
Ruby Walker DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @ruby
Ruby Walker
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Aug 29, 2021 19:25:42 GMT
Ruby Walker Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","ruby"]

[attr="class","rolling-thread"][attr="class,"faction"]Ruby was admittedly curious, why didn't he go sooner? Was it the dangers of the region? That would make some sense, with Team Rocket, literal Aliens, and rampaging legends, Hoenn has proven to be quite risky to travel as of late. If you weren't careful with where you went, you could seriously end up somewhere dangerous. [break][break]

At Hideo's own excitement, Ruby couldn't help but blush ever so slightly. She had grown used to brushing with talented trainers and difficult battlers, but hearing it from a child was something else. "You'll get there someday, Hideo! One badge is a great start. Just keep on training, and you'll get there."[break][break]

Reaching over, Ruby would carefully take his hand, should he let her, before placing his finger on a few badges as she talked about them individually. "This one is the Heat Badge, and I got it from when she was still a gym leader. A duo battle between my Greninja and Indeedee, versus her Steelix and Houndoom. I won the close battle, by having my Indeedee use Healing Wish, to fully heal my Greninja." She'd wait a few seconds, giving him plenty of time to run his finger over the unique badge before moving on.[break][break]

"This one is called the Skyrider Badge, from ! He's been a gym leader ever since I stepped foot in Hoenn, and a good friend too. It was a solo battle, with two pokemon each. My Aurorus put in good work before fainting when my Greninja returned to finish the battle. He can change his type after he uses moves! So he turned ghost type, and Alexei's Hawlucha couldn't hurt him! I honestly recommend battling him, he has alot to teach." [break][break]

With a quiet chuckle, Ruby would continue to speak softly. "The real trick to fighting gyms is coming up with a strategy and sticking with it. Learn and adapt when you lose, and you'll eventually overcome anything. Just keep pushing through. Let me know when you beat the elite four, huh? It's only a matter of time."
[break][break]
[break]

notes ...

[break]
</>

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,419 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
Savoury Freedom
POSTED ON Sept 1, 2021 23:03:46 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo couldn't help but smile at the encouragement. Always nice to hear people genuinely cheer him on.

He didn't resist as Ruby guided him to specific badges. The first one she'd led him to felt longer than the other badges he'd gotten, slightly bumpy with a semi-disorganized shape. He would've assumed it was dented if he didn't trust Ruby to take good care of her badges. Must've been shaped to look like a flame, but that was just a guess. He wasn't familiar with what shape a flame was supposed to be. "Sounds like a really close match there!" he said, "But in the end, you came out on top!"

The other one she had him feel, however, was much straighter, and the name "Skyrider" made it pretty clear it was meant to be shaped like a feather - which Hideo was much more familiar with. "That's a pretty clever way to one-up a Hawlucha!" Hideo said, noting this badge also felt flatter than the previous one. "I battled a Hawlucha with my Hitmonchan during the Star Tournament. I ended up losing that battle pretty badly."

Maybe he could try going for Alexei's gym first. Ruby made it sound like a promising place to start - and he had some Pokemon that could deal with any Hawlucha. Or any flying-type for that matter.

"I'll be sure to let you know when I get to the Elite Four! I'm hoping to get enough badges to challenge them in a year." That was the timeframe he left his parents, but nothing said he couldn't extend it if he had to. "Only one I got so far is the Honor Badge. I did the non-traditional challenge some time ago and aced it!"  A badge he knew well by now - and one he noticed that Ruby didn't have, though could reason it meant Doug wasn't a gym leader when she was doing her gym circuit.

"I didn't even know Doug was the gym leader running it 'til the end of it!"

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights