Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
In The Shadow Of The Valley
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 3:06:07 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

A solid shove caused the wooden door to cave in upon itself, crashing and clattering across the floor, mixing in with the rubble. “This’ll do.” Rowan commented to himself, pushing his way into the remains of a tavern, having been partially destroyed during the conflict in Sootopolis.

The morning sun crept over the horizon, barely able to illuminate the sky through the thick storm clouds that hung overhead. He should have been sleeping, like most others at this time, but he wasn’t going to be sleeping anytime soon. “Here we go.”

Reaching over the bar counter, he wrapped his fingers around one of the few bottles that hadn’t been smashed to pieces, a bourbon. At first, he didn’t see the corpse laying underneath the wooden beams that collapsed from the roof, but Rowan soon found himself locking eyes with the milky irises of the long-dead bartender. “I’d pay you, but I can’t imagine it’d help.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 3:51:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
With a small army of shadow Pokemon at his back, Gavin patrols the streets of their occupied city and allows triumph to settle. It had not gone as smoothly as they'd hoped, not even as they'd expected on account of the way the city had rearranged itself, but Rocket had emerged the victors.

A few frightened citizens unaffiliated with Rocket shrink back from the Harbinger as he sweeps past but Gavin doesn't engage them.

He's looking for the injured, for the dead.

It's a different sort of injury that befalls the one he comes upon after spotting a gaping wound in a tavern's facade that had once held a door and heading inside. A stain upon the soul.

"Rowan."

A soft click of his tongue leaves his shadow Pokemon to stand sentinel outside the building and afford some privacy from would-be refugees.

"Did you want to talk?"

Not 'Are you OK?' because to that question, Gavin knows the answer.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 4:19:31 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Gavin.” Rowan said with a small nod, solemn and without inflection. “Want a drink?” He wouldn’t wait for a response, reaching out to grab another glass before pouring the bourbon inside. A moment of silence lingered between them as he took a drink, allowing the stinging bite to create warmth throughout his body.

“Not much to talk about. I’m a hero, haven’t you heard?” Rowan chuckled slightly, swirling the liquid around in his glass. “Single-handedly killed the ace Pokémon of a prominent Gym Leader. Even heard that Declan Walsh intends to promote me to Beast after the ordeal. This is a time for celebration, isn’t it?” Arceus knows it didn’t feel like it.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 14:57:49 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin accepts the drink without hesitation, downs it in one go. Though it does little to chase the exhaustion settled like lead in his bones, the burn in his throat provides something to focus on.

"I know it's not something you were keen on."

Killing. Murder.

"Rocket Beasts are our elite. Our strongest." That had been why had joined their organization. For power, recognition, freedom. "It can be a good thing if you let it. I'm proud to see how far you've come in such a short period of time. It's not just what happened here."

He gestures around to vaguely indicate Sootopolis.
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 19:55:13 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Keen is an understatement.” There was a slight bite in his words, as though he resented having his distaste for murder be downplayed. “I didn’t even mean to do it.” Rowan offered the truth, as little solace as it may have been for himself and . “Accidental murder is still murder, though. I should have known better, I've never used a Mega Stone in combat before. It was bound to be unpredictable.”

Setting the drink down, Rowan slid a cocktail napkin closer to himself, beginning to scrawl something onto the paper with a pen he’d procured from the establishment. “I can’t even tell myself ‘at least it was just a Pokémon’, those words make me feel even more sick. The Machamp was just protecting it’s trainer, as any of mine would have done for me.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 21:29:21 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin doesn't miss the bite in 's retort, offering an apologetic grimace.

"I know."

He didn't always know how to handle situations such as these. His first kill had been followed up by a brutal don't make the next time so difficult while he was still dry heaving and shaking and nursing his trauma.

He wants to console but doesn't know how.

"As your Swampert did do for you," he corrects, gentle but firm. "There's plenty in the League wouldn't hesitate to use lethal force against us."

He can't say for sure with , though the gym leader had certainly seemed eager for blood when he'd leapt toward Gavin. Had it not been for Lugia's interference...

"But I know that doesn't make it easier to deal with."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 21:50:42 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I’ve already thrown up everything I could.” Rowan continued to sketch on the cocktail napkin, avoiding eye contact with Gavin for the time being. “Cried until I ran out of tears, too. I can’t change what happened, no matter how miserable I feel.” He stopped, setting the pen aside and placing his hand over the napkin.

“I’m tired, but I can’t sleep. Every time I close my eyes I relive the moment, the sound of their sternum cracking through the shouting, fighting and rain.” A free hand ran over his face, still matted with blood, dirt and dried tears. “When the fuck am I supposed to feel better, Gavin?” Rowan turned his head to his brother now, showing the regret and exhaustion plainly on his face.

"How am I supposed to be a fucking Beast when I can't even look in the mirror without making myself sick?"

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 22:26:33 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
When turns, he'd see Gavin's expression pinched with empathy.

"That's not something I can answer," he admits, lips pressed tight. "It's different for everyone. It was nearly a year before I felt—" and it hadn't been OK, not even then, but Rocket had taught him how to be "—numb to it."

Because he'd had to be. Because if he didn't close himself down and learn to follow them blindly, he'd be next.

It would be different, for .

"You won't be alone. Sera and Jayden have also been promoted." Rowan's friends with , he knows; Gavin's not sure if he's ever met . "You can decline if you don't think you can handle it, but if Walsh himself has singled you out..."

Well, it might not be the best idea to disappoint the boss.

"I can talk to him if it comes to that."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 22:39:33 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“No.” Rowan replied with a dismissive hand. “It’s what I wanted, right? Power and influence.” Perhaps if he’d attained it another way, he might not have felt so empty on the inside. Scooping up the glass, he took another small sip of the liquor, more out of the desire to feel something other than anguish than to actually intoxicate himself.

“Besides, I can use my newfound position to keep others from the same fate.” Innocents that he’d prefer to stay that way, such as . “Create the change in Rocket that I want to see, that you want to see.” Quinn supremacy, each sibling in charge of a facet of the organization to ensure that their will would be carried out.

“I’ll cope, one way or another.” An opportunity had already presented itself, causing Rowan to slide the cocktail napkin closer to . “Have you seen this Pokémon before?”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 22:47:39 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin dips his head in silent agreement.

"Good, that's exactly the way you should look at it." Approval warms his tone. "It's good to have more fresh blood in the ranks of our Elite. Someone who wasn't here for Silas, for Kanto."

Because it had fucked a lot of them that were up in irreparable ways.

"I'm here if you ever need anything."

It's an awkward extension of camaraderie but he doesn't take it back. He wishes someone had been there to offer him the same, back then.

Amber eyes squint at the careful sketch. Without colour, it's not an easy identification, but the shapes inspire a certain familiarity that clicks after a long moment of study.

"Yes, I think. It was with in Mauville. I don't know what it's called, though."
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 11, 2021 22:59:53 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“I saw that Pokémon.” Rowan paused for a moment, reconsidering his words. “Or rather, it saw me.” Amber eyes lingered on the drawing he’d created, remembering vividly the eyes that stared back at him through the darkness. “Came after the League already had retreated, walking across the lake.” Which was oddly crystalline after the events of the previous night.

“Before the Pokémon left, it locked eyes with me and...I don’t know…” Rowan couldn’t explain the feeling that came over him, the strange sensation of compassion that radiated from their mystifying gaze. “I want to know more about it.”

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2021 15:41:36 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin frowns, wondering if this was the same one he'd seen with . Were there multiple? Perhaps they were simply very rare. Had it chosen to assist on its own during the war or was it under the Champion's guidance?

Questions without answers are shelved for a later date.

"We'll look into it," he vows. "There are people in Hoenn who study these sorts of things. knows a fair bit about myths and legends, from what I've heard — if he can't tell us what it is, maybe he'll know where we can look for more information."

It locked eyes with me.

Gavin remembers the surge of emotions he'd felt as Lugia had chosen him, as if the shifting planes of his universe had righted themselves at last. To be chosen by something greater than himself, to be worthy...

"Did you feel anything? When it looked at you?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2021 21:43:31 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Acceptance.” This was the only word that he could use to describe the sensation that overcame him when he looked into the eyes of this Pokémon. “Compassion, for what I was going through.” Rowan chuckled softly, running a hand through his loosely gathered hair. “Seems ridiculous, I’m sure.” 

A moment of silence while he hesitated to tell Gavin what else he’d discovered, convinced his brother would think him insane. “I’ve felt the wind since then...but not the normal wind. Cold, almost like being in Galar again.” Arceus, he must have sounded like a lunatic.

close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,877 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Aug 13, 2021 21:59:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
'Seems ridiculous, I'm sure.'

Gavin shakes his head. "Doesn't seem ridiculous at all."

How important it had been to him, that feeling of acceptance.

"It felt similar, for me, when I was chosen."

At the mention of the northern winds, Gavin doesn't look at like he's crazy. He looks almost proud, a smile dawning.

"It sounds like you've attracted its attention. Have you noticed anything... else?"
close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
POSTED ON Aug 14, 2021 16:35:48 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

“Chosen?” An eyebrow raised, as though Rowan didn’t know what Gavin was referencing. “You mean, by Lugia?” Until now he’d been under the assumption that the Legendary Pokémon had simply been captured and through possible subjugation had shared their power with the Underboss.

“I haven’t noticed anything else.” Rowan admitted, offering a small shrug. “At least not yet.” Would there be more to notice? Was he being chosen? “Do you think that's what's happening to me?”