1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 12, 2019 10:19:13 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar
[attr="class","isratalk"]

It has been awhile since she walked through the streets of Rustboro, even longer since she gone anywhere near the gym.

Now she walks through the doors as the day ends and turns to night. Just barely in time. Her parasol spins in her hand and she hums a tune to herself until she makes it in the door and goes silent. Eyes scanning the gym and searching for the one person she hopes to find still here.

"I believe it is Alexander Stone I am looking for, correct?"

She is content to wait at the door, she is half expecting to be ignored by this time of the day. She is freshly awake and ready but they rest of the world is readying itself for bed, searching for their homes to cozy up in for the night. The door being open says he is not yet, but may be soon enough.

[newclass=.isratalk b]color: #9ed480;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 13, 2019 16:14:15 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

he's in the middle of the same routine of shutting the gym down for the night when he hears a voice call out from the entrance. it echoes through the halls just enough to reach him. it only takes him a moment to emerge from the back.

"it depends what you need me for." he makes a joke as he approaches her, smiling despite the odd timing. "the gym's closed but i'm sure you knew that walking in. how may i help you?"

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
Defiance in her flesh, her blood, her bones; written on her soul
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 8:19:36 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

He takes her intrusion at such a time well and it gives her reason to return his smile. She turns to address him as he approaches her. "I had hoped I would be in time, but I suppose it can't be helped."

The woman curtsies in greeting, ever the lady. At least for now. "I wished to issue a challenge, but if now is past the time perhaps I can speak with you as you wrap up for the night. I can always come at another time." polite and courteous, as would be expected of her.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 8:36:37 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

to her curtsy, he responds in kind with a slight bow. polite and courteous, she has an agenda that he wishes to unravel. curiosity gets the better of him.

"i suppose we can speak while i prepare for your gym challenge." with his offer made, he gestures for her to follow him as he heads down the hallway.

all that needs to be done is to flip a switch. but she doesn't know that.

"what brings you to my gym at this late an hour, miss--" he asks, prompting for a name.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 8:43:12 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

He responds in kind and the game is afoot. She enjoys a good play and a small part of her hopes he will be a good match.

"Of course, it would be rude not to when you are making an exception for me." she follows, feeling the clack of her heels is almost too loud in the gym so close to being dead for the night.

"Von Ruhan." he gives him a pointed look, rarely does she use the name given to her by birth over the one given by circumstance. "Isra Von Ruhan." she only uses it instead because he will be more familiar with the man responsible for the largest home appliance company in the region. Though not as worthy of note as his own, it will suffice to say that she is not a normal straggler.

Especially when the Ruhan's are only supposed to have 3 boys, and a rumored mysterious daughter.

"You may also know me as Isra Nightingale, through the league of course."

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 9:07:49 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

von ruhan: a name he's familiar with affirms that she is no normal straggler. he suddenly wonders if her agenda is related to the company, but the fact that she has shed the name in favor for nightingale tells him otherwise.

"it's a pleasure, miss nightingale. you must excuse me for not recognizing you. i didn't know the ruhans had a daughter." despite the rumors, he chooses to feign ignorance.

each step takes them closer to the back of the gym. "business or pleasure?" he asks a similar question after his last one was left unanswered. he's poking, seeing how much she'd reveal.

they soon reach the end and all he does is flip a few switches. the sounds of a generator roaring back to life causes the lights to switch on, transforming the darkened gym into one that's alive.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 9:14:59 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

"Most don't, my father prefers it that way. I only use the name because it holds greater value in most circles than mine does." she is not surprised by his response, it's calmer than expected. Then again her fathers name is only to test the waters, it is her mother's that would tell her what she wants. She holds it close for now.

She glances up as the lights turn on, how interesting what a little bit of lighting can do. "Both." she's honest but cryptic, a nature long nurtured in her upbringing. "I haven't entirely decided yet. If I may, what is the nature of your gym's challenge? I have yet to make one to be honest." filler text, she knows the classical challenges of the rustboro gym well. As for adjustments he has made? that is the real inquiry.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 14, 2019 9:41:59 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

vague, her answer only opens the door for more questions. he decides not to pry further, at least for now, understanding that more will be revealed when the time comes. that is how it usually works.

"just a sime battle," he responds, but the soft sme on his face gives him away. "but there's a catch." she should expect as much, most gyms have one; his is no different

he leads her out into the open, past the hallway and into a large circular space, fit for a grand battle. the middle is designed intricately to resemble a maze costructed out of hedges. the ground, however, is a mixture of sand and dirt.

"it's a two-on-two single battle. no healing, no swapping. the badge is yours if i concede or if my pokemon are no longer able to battle. likewise, the challenge is failed if you concede or if your pokemon are no longer able to battle."

there's a spot on her end of the battlefield, indicating where she should stand. another one rests on the other side, which he soon makes his way towards.

"the battle begins when your pokemon enters the maze."

cameras scattered across the gym relay crystal clear video that's projected on a large screen that hangs overhead. he calls out his gallade, which isra should be able to see on the screen.

the camera switches to him. "whatever happens, keep battling."

ready on her mark, his gallade steps into the maze.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 15, 2019 23:52:34 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

What he leads her to is an interesting sight to say the least. A maze, simple enough but it can offer a variety of challenges of its own and she knows it. Her pokemon had not had a good challenge like this in awhile and Isra likes the idea of seeing how they fair.

"Reasonable, it should prove interesting to say the least." her tone is pleased, as is the look on her face whens he watches his gallade enter the maze on the screen. The pokemon is a solid choice to say the least. She sports its counterpart as one of the most important members of her team but it is not the one she chooses for this. The ball that finds its way into hand is that of her Banette instead.

The ghost chuckles at the maze. It seems silly to him, but the perfect place to play pranks, to have fun. The tricky little bugger is grinning just as widely as his trainer.

She whistles, he enters. She does not need to tell him what to do, he'll fight until he wins or cannot make a move. The moment he enters the maze a ring of will-o-wisp appear around him, she's confident in his abilities enough to ask a question. "What is the point of the screen if I may? I would assume the point of the maze is the minimize visuals, so why undermine that by broadcasting it as well?" she assumes it has to do with the gym part of the challenge but asks nonetheless. She would find this more appealing without it.

Both she and her Banette are patient, they are not the ones on their home territory here and are content to wait and see what happens before making to large a move. She does not know the battle style of the man or what to expect from him. It is a thrilling venture she has not had in too long.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2019 4:26:59 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

she inquires about the screen that hangs overhead, to which, he responds: "it's to help some of the younger challengers. i scale the gym challenges to how experienced they are." but isra is no inexperienced challenger; he knows as much just by looking at her banette, who enters the maze with a ring of WILL-O-WISP.

which is why the screen turns off.

rustboro is home, giving him the advantage. but that's not all that sets him apart. it's gallade's psychic-typing that helps edge them ahead.

the hedges of the maze shake, creating rattling sounds similar to that of an ekans'. isra might not be able to tell what it is but her banette might be able to sense it.

a PSYCHO CUT slices through the hedges and flies straight at the ghost-type.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 19, 2019 6:00:09 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

Isra grins as the screen turns off. "Much better." she and her pokemon are more used to the lack of their senses than they let on, as she's certain will become more evident as the battle is waged. However it did give her something vital before he removes it, what they're against.

The whistle rings out and the pokemon can pick it out amongst the rattling leaves, he knows what he's against and starts to move. A willow-wisp goes out as he leaves the beginning of the maze, taking advantage of the travel time for the attack but the ghost knows better. He doesn't go too far in anticipating that he's being scared into moving farther in and becoming an easier target. The low whistle confirms it from his partner. He goes quiet, slow, anticipating another strike and looking to use it along with the last as his guide.

As he moves so does his shadow, stretching, reaching, readying itself to shift through the shadows created in the hedges and seek the source of the attacks. He'll take a hit from another attack if he must to find his mark and lash for its ankles in the hopes of making the pokemon unsteady. Even if he doesn't they should both start moving shouldn't they?

Much like his partner he is patient, watching and waiting for the next move from his opponent. The more they know the better they can topple their foe.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2019 3:46:23 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar

through the cover of the maze alexander is able to see the flames of the WILL-O-WISP burning. the red sticks out like a sore thumb in the field of green. but even as the flames die out, gallade doesn't have to rely on a single sense to find his opponent.

banette's attempt at hiding in the shadows will be of no use as TELEPORT cancels it out. suddenly, from the sudden void in time and space, comes gallade with arms sharp that swing downwards for a PSYCHO CUT right at the banette.

high risk, high reward. closing the distance like that allows gallade a chance to get one sneak attack in, but it also leaves him vulnerable. that is the game both gallade and alexander are willing to play.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 25, 2019 4:19:28 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

The strike hits true, something the ghost type is willing to allow. The move is typical of psychic types and he's familiar with it.

He plays dead, falling face first from the impact but mid fall he vanishes, even the will-o-wisps that were left flickering out of sight before he can hit the ground. He's deadly silent.

"So why did you choose a maze like this? To be honest I would expect it more of say, a grass type gym." The question has been burning a hole in her brain and she's not worried about the battle enough to focus only on it. She came here to chat anyway. "I approve of it mind you, just curious how you got here."

The ghost type stays close to the Gallade in his limbo, reappearing in front of the Psychic with a burst of energy from his Phantom force. Amidst the wave of energy his will-o-wisps are refreshed, seeking to be carried by the phantom forces to his enemy. Even if he teleports away, he'll have to go far to escape the attack, and what will-o-wisps do not hit him will undoubtedly be carried into the hedges.

close tab

played by

noodles

devon
he/him
twenty-nine
june 12
rustboro
straight
advisor
ex-champion
406 height
406 height
awards
1,825 posts
part of
TAG WITH @stone
ALEXANDER STONE
Next [c]
POSTED ON Feb 26, 2019 3:29:07 GMT
ALEXANDER STONE Avatar
distraction comes in the form of a conversation. as the battle looms on between them, isra remains keen on keeping the conversation active--whether to distract him or if she's genuinely curious, he cannot tell yet. regardless, he allows a few moments to pass after she asks her question, just in time to feel gallade's attack connect.

"i believe the mark of a good trainer doesn't come from how strong their pokemon are; it comes from their connection outside simple orders." that is the basis of it. "this gym puts that connection to the test. the maze acts as a barrier that cuts out one of your senses."

the disconnect between trainer and pokemon happens as soon as the pokemon steps into the maze. some have an advantage, like psychic-types, while others will be left to rely on their other senses. hearing, for example, which is how alexander knows gallade got hit.

it's super-effective and threatens to bring the psychic-type down, but he does nor waver just yet. the flames scorch away at him as he boosts himself with a SWORDS DANCE only to swipe down with another PSYCHO CUT.

close tab

played by

Endless

The Nightingale
She/her
Twenty four
November 11
Slateport
Heterosexual
Assistant
executive
awards
1,346 posts
part of
TAG WITH @isra
Isra Nightingale
Next [c]
POSTED ON Mar 6, 2019 2:05:49 GMT
Isra Nightingale Avatar

It's not so easy to come back from dancing with the devil.

The banette watches the Gallade's dance closely because his own has already begun long before this, there's no stopping it now. He's already moving, already half way into the great beyond as he vanishes again. The timing is perfect, just late enough to let the gallade graze him, just late enough to ensure he would still be close.

"Sight, something most trainers have to rely heavily on to complete a battle, correct?" Isra is not one of them, the manner in which she trains her pokemon does not encourage them to rely so heavily on her. They rely more on each other, she is but an audience they must aim to please and garner applause from.

And applause her Banette gets the clapping a slow amusement because she knows already what path he has chosen. She knows it from what she hears and can see it play out in her head. "I've always wondered how that worked though, the part where you try such tests but at the same time you make it easier on those that are knew. Doesn't such a shift in the standard to defeat your gym encourage people to only half take the lesson instead of reaching for highest standard?" if he had kept the video feed on to do exactly that Isra herself would have asked him to turn it off, there's little point in the challenge to her is she's going to be given a handicap.

He surfaces again, flanking the Gallade with a wound up sucker-punch seeking an opening, all the while the phantom force has followed him back again. It pulsates out in waves of the energy seeking to double up the damage the Gallade will take as it strikes alongside the sucker punch. Even if the punch fails he has far to go to escape the ghostly energy.