awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Oct 31, 2021 22:16:23 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer was up bright and early this morning, preparing for her gym battle not far from her home in Mauville City. She had thought it was time to accept a few challenges that weren't just missions. Perhaps a badge could be obtained, and she and Casey could celebrate tonight.

There was no guarantee, though, and she knew that. But she knew Surtur and Fafnir were not going to go down without a fight.

When it was time to appear at the camp, she was on time, like usual. Something her father had engrained in her at this point for business meetings and duties that she needed. Her two trusted Pokemon were resting in their Pokeballs in her belt, waiting for her to call them forward when it was her turn to challenge the gym.

"No matter what, I am proud of you. You both know that," she said in a soft voice, looking down at them where they were tucked away. She stood, waiting to be met.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
Lt. Colonel, Medical Corps
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
5' 11" (181 cm) / 180 lbs (82 kg) height
You're being healed. Please do not resist.
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 3, 2021 16:44:45 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

Mauville City Gym Challenge: Vs

The challenger is allowed into the premises and marched to the battlefield; a large stretch of scarred land, packed full of fissures, sandbags, trenches and rocks.

The Gym Leader stands on the far end of the field, face obscured by the deep shadows cast by the midday sun, the golden badge on his cap gleaming brightly while he stands rigidly with his hands behind his back, awaiting her.

"Welcome to my installations, Challenger Prescott." He greets as soon as the challenger comes near.

He stares at her for a moment, before asking.

"Tell me- is this your first gym challenge?"

It was unfortunate- but even the best efforts couldn't stop every rat from sneaking in.

Bingo Thread Prompt: "Wolf & Lamb"

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
say a prayer for the wicked
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2021 3:37:28 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
When Summer was greeted by the man, clad in his outfit and looking quite like a military man, she was momentarily intimidated.

She wasn't sure what she expected, but it wasn't something quite like this.

"Thank you. I appreciate your warm welcome," she said politely, giving her head a small nod in gesture.

Summer gave a quick nod. "It is."

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2021 0:07:39 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

After a moment, he nodded.

"Understood." He said, before reaching into his jacket, swinging his hand out a moment later to release two pokeballs onto the field.

Two bugs appeared on the field- Dual bug and rock types both.

Opportunities for his challenger to both target weaknesses as well as defend against super effective attacks. Good enough.

"Then I'll make sure it's both challenging and educational in equal measure." He said, sweeping his arm across the air, the wind around the field choosing the most dramatically appropriate time to pick up, his cape-jacket flapping wildly.

"Show me your judgement in battle, challenger Prescott. You've the first move."

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 12, 2021 18:38:21 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer's posture stiffened as she noticed that Doug released his Pokemon for their battle: duo rock and bug types. Taking her cue to release her own, she released Surtur and Fafnir.

The Emboar and Gyarados emerged to stand in front of her, ready to fight the two that Doug released. Immediately, Fafnir used the ability INTIMIDATE to lower the attack of the opposition.

"Fafnir, use HYDROPUMP on his Armaldo," she ordered.

"Surtur, use ROLL OUT on the Crustle."

She could begin damaging them now and determine from there what the next move should be. She tried to keep in mind what sort of type-effective moves she had taught her Pokemon, though she was unsure what her opponent had in store for her.

- Fafnir used the ability INTIMIDATE and used the move HYDROPUMP on Muto
- Surtur used ROLL OUT on Kameba

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 17, 2021 16:00:15 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

Straight to the offensive. Was she testing the waters, laying ground works, or simply attacking recklessly?

He would know soon enough.

"Rapid Spin. Shell Smash." He ordered with a swing of his arm, outstretching his arm towards her.

His pokemon launched to action, the Armaldo's plated heels cruching the soil underneath it as it sprinted forth, taking two steps forth before it suddenly leapt in the air towards the Gyarados and its Hydro Pump, its body spinning so rapidly its image became akin to a disc!

It barreled into the blast of water without slowing down, cutting through the torrent of water with surprising swiftness, before veering off in a downwards trajectory towards the Gyarados neck!

The Crustle, for her part, did not immediately move, instead smashing her pincers into the soil and digging in, her several legs spreading outwards for stability as she leaned hunched over, bringing the boulder she used as home to the forefront as her opponent came crashing against her.

A booming crack thundered through the field as they met.

The Emboar's rollout grind away against the rock, and the Crustle stood her ground, using the size of it to keep the other at bay while her pincers hooked her into the floor.

Her rock was quickly losing mass and solidity however, cracks spreading over its surface as a rounded shape was carved upon the stone- and with each one of them, an excess of glowing red energy seemed to seep out, flowing into the crustacean like bug below.

With a growl, the Crustle attempted to launch the rolling Emboar into the sky by swinging her rock back!

TL;DR:
-Armaldo used Rapid Spin. It's going for the neck.
-Crustle used Shell Smash. It's trying to launch Emboar into the air.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 21, 2021 23:30:59 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer initially thought that Doug's Pokemon would immediately go on the defense at her attacks. Of course, she wasn't sure what was going to happen. That's why she started off with the moves she did.

So she found herself surprised that his Armaldo was spinning at amazing speed toward her Gyarados. They had to act fast, lest Fafnir take a huge chunk of damage from the target.

"To the side, Fafnir!"

It seemed almost in the blink of an eye that he was able to move, managing to come out of the attack with a nick instead of fainting. INTIMIDATE was utilized again on the Armaldo.

"AQUA TAIL."

She again utilized Armaldo's weakness to water in attacking.

Surtur, meanwhile, made contact with the Crustle. The glowing red worried Summer as she noticed it seemed to be growing in power. Her Emboar was sent back, leaving the ground and taking a bit of damage from the attack.

However, that damage would be utilized, since the more he took, the closer the Emboar got to using his ability.

"HEAT CRASH."

- Gyarados took minor damage and managed to avoid a major hit from Armaldo. Used ability INTIMIDATE and used move AQUA TAIL on Armaldo.
- Emboar was sent back by Crustle and took damage. Used move HEAT CRASH on Crustle.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 24, 2021 20:19:12 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

It was almost nostalgic to fight a Gyarados. He didn't let himself dwell on it too much however, snapping his fingers sharply as the sea serpent's tail began to move.

"Brine!" He ordered the still spinning Armaldo.

Jets of water burst around the sentient disc in controlled booms, sending its trajectory sweeping under the swinging tail before it landed unto the soil with a booming crash, its feet digging into the soil as it grind to a sharp stop, facing the Gyarados. A bead of unseen sweat rolled down the fossil's neck as it met the Gyarados' gaze.

"Steel yerself." Boomed its trainer. "It ain't shown ya nothing to be 'fraid of so far, has it?"

He gave the challenger a pointed look following those words, before waving his hand through the air, directing his Crustle.

"Rock Slide!" He boomed.

The Earth quaked with his words as the bug's eyes gleamed, the soil upturning beneath its many legs. Fissures spread outwards as boulders punched up and jutted out from the ground, erecting irregular stone walls between it and the Emboar- obstacles in its destructive path.

-Armaldo Dodged. Armaldo was intimidated.
-Crustle used Rock Slide.

Bingo Prompt: "nostalgia"

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2021 21:43:05 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer steeled herself to see her Gyarados get hit with the BRINE that was called. But the hit didn't come, as the Armaldo seemed to stop in its tracks. The INTIMIDATE worked. She couldn't help but feel a rush of pride at Fafnir.

"Keep it up, Fafnir!" she encouraged, earning a roaring noise from the flying dragon.

Of course, with his pointed look, Summer just raised her eyebrow and pointed her chin up. A silent challenge. She didn't seem threatening? She'd make a point to.

"CRUNCH!"

It wouldn't be as effective as the water moves, but she decided to strike while the Armaldo seemed intimidated.

Her Emboar took the damage from ROCK SLIDE. With another hit, he should be in the range to use his ability.

"ASSURANCE."

- Gyarados used ability INTIMIDATE and move CRUNCH on Armaldo.
- Emboar took more damage! Used ASSURANCE on Crustle.

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 6, 2021 18:45:31 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

The Gym Leader produced a pocket watch from within his jacket, staring at it for a moment before turning his gaze back to the battlefield.

"Ya need to show me your tactical prowess, Ms. Challenger." He said simply. "Ya can try to brute force the match, but..."

He snapped his fingers, prompting both of his pokemon to narrow their gazes.

"There ain't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm letting that happen."

Armaldo stood its ground as the Gyarados barreled towards it, its claws gleaming with a metallic sheen before it spread them wide, one up, one down, catching the sea serpent's fangs as it came barreling towards it, feet sinking into the soil as it struggled mightily to hold its maw open.

The Crustle took a much different route. It's torso rose barely- and then was brought crashing against the floor.

Spiderweb cracks spread outwards from it sharply, large fissures spreading over the floor as square-like platforms of Earth were forced out, upheaving the battlefield and creating several obstacles - as well as suddenly forcing upwards its Armaldo ally.

Following the Earthquake, the battlefield had suddenly become a much more uneven playing field, with several ditches and roughly formed trenches as well newly-formed rocks formations serving as walls and pillars left all over the place.

"Show me what ya can do, Ms. Challenger."

-Armaldo Dodged. Armaldo was intimidated.
-Crustle used Rock Slide.

Bingo Prompt: "nostalgia"

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Dec 17, 2021 3:24:12 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
He didn't think she was using tactics?

Summer could laugh. In fact, she almost did.

"You don't think I haven't been thinking ahead this entire time? Why else would I let my Emboar be taking this much damage?"

Of course, agree to disagree. She had to play fair, lest she end up on the black list for this gym.

The Armaldo continued to be intimidated, which played in her favor. She decided to play a risky move, since using this move would make her Gyarados immobile briefly.

"HYPERBEAM!"

A flash of fire-like power was sent from the Gyarados, targeting the Armaldo who held its jaw open. She hoped with the INTIMIDATION, it would prove effective since they were at close range.

Summer nearly lost her balance from the shaking ground, managing to hold on after the Crustle slammed its body down. Her Gyarados became separated with the Armaldo, and her Emboar had taken damage from the ROCK SLIDE.

However, it seemed enough that BLAZE would be in effect now.

Emboar let out a loud roar as he targeted the Crustle again, sending another FLAMETHROWER. However, with his ability effective, it was definitely stronger than it had been before.

- Gyarados was caught by the Armaldo and went up with it! INTIMDIATION was used, and the move HYPER BEAM was use on Armaldo
- Emboar took enough damage to activate BLAZE! Used FLAMETHROWER on Crustle!

close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2022 1:28:57 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

The beam landed home, blasting back the bug with its power across the field.

Its chitin armor was cracked in several places as it bounded across the field, before its claws rammed into the dirt to help it grind to a screeching halt, its body reeling back and forth as it panted deeply. Even from a resisted blow, the damage appeared heavy.

"Oh, crud! Showed me what I know! Very good!" The Captain praised the challenger with a broad grin, before clapping his hands. "Switch! Brine!"

At the command, the panting Armaldo turned suddenly on its heel as gushing water began to drip out of its plates, throwing itself into the Emboar's Flamethrower's path while covered in overflowing water, a sizzling sound rising in the air.

"Rock Wrecker!" Boomed the youth next as he clamped his fist tightly.

One recharge move deserved another in turn.

Turning to face the unmoving Gyarados, the Crustle's pincers suddenly dug into the soil, before tearing a gargantuan boulder from the earth. As if possessing a gravitational pull of its own, other large boulders began to pile together upon it-

Before it suddenly broke apart under its own weight, throwing an avalanche of rocks at the Gyarados.

-Armaldo resisted Hyper Beam. Used Brine against Flamethrower. Armaldo has little to near 0 hp left.
-Crustle used Rock Wrecker. Crustle will need to recharge.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Feb 22, 2022 22:53:37 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
Summer couldn't help but feel a brief surge of pride at the compliment, seeing his Armaldo nearly crumpling against the pressure. However, in a moment's notice, it turned on its heels and countered the charged FLAMETHROWER with BRINE.

"Shit!" Summer uttered.

"Gyarados, try to distract the Armaldo!"

The Gyarados sent out a loud screeching noise, to hopefully catch it off guard and keep it from damaging Surtur further. She needed him in her plan. She knew that put her Gyarados at risk, since it had to recharge after using HYPER BEAM, but it was a risk she was willing to take to win.

And, as she thought, her Gyarados to astronomical damage, the rocks crumbling down on top of its body. It roared out, unable to move as it was still recharging.

"Surtur, HEAT CRASH!" she cried out, watching him charge to the Crustle.

- GYARADOS took substantial damage from the ROCK WRECKER and is low in health!
- EMBOAR used a charge HEAT CRASH on CRUSTLE
close tab

played by

Epic BugCatcher

Dr. Doug
He/Him
20 (40)
March 3
Viridian City, Kanto
It just works
AQUA Initiative
Dreaming
of our future
awards
2,878 posts
part of
TAG WITH @bugcatcherdoug
John Sullivan
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2022 22:35:09 GMT
John Sullivan Avatar

Honor and Glory

The Gym Leader remains silent as he watches what occurs next.

With no orders given, Armaldo takes action into its own hands, using the last of its energy to suddenly throw itself flying into the Emboar's Heat Crash's trajectory, its body spinning it a high speed as it loudly crashed into it from the side.

The rock bug collapsed as the fire-type was diverted from the Crustle, finally fainting.

Doug hummed. Not too shabby decision making.

-Armaldo fainted.
-Crustle has recharged.

close tab

played by

Red

Sums
She/Her
November 1
Mauville City
Pansexual
art collector
executive
kiss me once
then kiss me twice
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
1,146 posts
part of
TAG WITH @summer
Summer Atreides
honor and glory [gym]
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2022 21:14:49 GMT
Summer Atreides Avatar
The ARMALDO threw itself into Summer's EMBOAR, diverting the trajectory from the CRUSTLE. However, with this final move, one of the two opponents had fainted.

Only half the battle was over.

GYRADOS had recharged, and Surtur was wounded to a great extent. One more hit, and it was likely that the EMBOAR would go down next. They had to take out the crab-like Pokemon fast.

"Alright. Let's give it all we got. Surtur, FLAME CHARGE! GYARADOS, HYPER BEAM!"

- EMBOAR has little hp remaining!
- EMBOAR used FLAME CHARGE on CRUSTLE
- GYARADOS used the ability INTIMIDATE and the move HYPER BEAM on CRUSTLE; she will need to recharge