part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2021 4:38:19 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

AN ANTI-THESIS TO WT13201

THE LID CLOSES with his expectations. a small sample but one meaningful enough for her to derive some research. fernando’s role in all of this is that of a second pair of hands and he slinks into silence once his duties are over.

he keeps pace, several feet away, privy to preventing too many cooks in the kitchen. but when she leans in to view her harvest under the microscope, he speaks up.

what are you expecting to find, reyes?

and more importantly, what are you looking for?

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2021 19:51:19 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]she begins prepping slides in silence.

glass, a single hair follicle, water, and press.

she repeats the process as he speaks, as she pulls over the question until she's tired of hearing it echo in her ears.

"dna," she murmurs. her eyes dart to his for a moment before retreating. "they say mew's dna contains the genetic code of every pokemon we know of."

her hands still over half completed slides. pink mist wisps up for second and fades as she resumes working.

"dna samples can last for up the six months if stored properly, you know," she flashes a small smile. and when her head fully turns to look at him, the smile is stronger, confident. "and these samples will come in handy for a couple of projects, i presume?"

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie b] color: #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,769 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2021 10:50:36 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

WHEN HER EYES reach out he receives her touch with a muted smile. the confidence and vigor behind her work is not to be discounted. to act as anything short of an encouraging force will prove detrimental from what value he can derive from her.

but her answer is sparsely what he’s looking for. without spelling it out explicitly, the implication was always further down. what will mew’s dna provide?

a genecology of every pokemon in existence? great. then what?

and more importantly how can it benefit him? fernando is not one to be impatient but the years have been a struggle. without mew, his project would’ve been in a standstill. what was he to do? just accept it?

no.

he went around it. found another way. human ingenuity at its finest.

of course, reyes.

his eyes leave hers to look about the room. he still can’t see the mew but he tries to discern it’s location.

anything else?

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
you caged me and then you called me crazy; i am what i am 'cause you trained me.
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Dec 26, 2021 22:28:07 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]mew's dna provides something extraordinary: endless possibility.

the entire genetic code of pokemon stored into the structure of one cell. could they, say, use it to replicate another pokemon? and if they could, would it be limited to just regular pokemon? what's stopping one from crafting a living clone of fernando's tapu fini, for example?

in hindsight, morality. and in theory? nothing.

she hums as she shifts to the next slide. this one is more extracted, with the follicle stripped down until it's nothing more than the dna structure at the head.

distracted enough to not notice him looking about.

mew hasn't moved. not really, anyway. it's still batting the cat toy around but as minutes tick by, it's growing as bored as fernando is of this task.

it'll eventually float over to perch on her head.

"if you'd like, you could look at the slides beneath the scope." her head turns and she's flashing a small smile. it's tightened by professionalism, by the distractions beneath her fingertips.

"see what you find and such?"

[newclass=.illie] text-align: justify; text-transform: lowercase; font-size: 12px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.illie i] text-decoration: underline dotted #E37474; font-size: 13px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,769 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Dec 30, 2021 4:37:12 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

“HM.” vocal amusement sits on his tongue but expectations prove less than stellar. he doesn’t let the chance slip him by—it would short of spitting in her mouth to turn down such an opportunity. but he can’t help but feel the impractical reality that he’ll fail to understand what he’s looking at and it’s significance.

he reads their reports. he understands their intent and purpose. but fernando sits high above, dwarfed in his own tasks, restricted to the most naked high level view. deep in the details comes her years of experience, discipline paid for with blood and sweat. knowledge of this extent is gated by dedication.

dedication that illeana has earned.

of course.

nevertheless, they swap seats. fernando hunches over her tools and lines his eye up against the lens. bright light refracts off the lens and all he can see is a close up of the hair. interesting. novel, even.

but he doesn’t understand it nor will he ever. that is the gulf between scientist and those who have not paid the toll of commitment. that’s why people of her kind are so integral to progress and why he covets them so earnestly.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2022 17:49:15 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]she hums as they switch, as he takes center stage to lean over the scope.

and, really, she doesn't expect him to notice what the strands hold. it's merely a need to include him that drives this suggestion. a need to force him to fit into her own little world.

it'll never work, truthfully, but it's a nice thought all the same.

"see anything?" aside from the strand, anyway.

one of her hands reaches and adjusts the scope. it shifts in and out of focus, one lens swapped for another. and then, it's a little deeper into the strand than before. she doesn't need to look for herself to know there's a new part of the strand on display now. the outer layer of the hair follicle shifts out of focus for the true star to show...

the root shows little pieces of genetic material, majority of which she's already scraped into another dish for examination.

but, really, she just wants to know if he can tell if there's a little bit left from her dissection or not.

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,769 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2022 19:19:17 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

“INDEED.”

he pauses, unsure if he should elaborate. in his mind the answer is so simple that it borders stupid, but he states it anyway. something to kill the silence.

a hair.

slides pass through capable hands. what changes made to the zoom manifest in different images fluttering through the microscope. again, fernando knows little about this aside from what he bases off conjecture.

and circles,” to put it in layman terms.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2022 2:59:47 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]he strips it down to simple terms and concepts. a scope, a hair, and circles. she flashes a content smile, as if the answer is more than enough.

"the little circles are what's called the medulla, or the hair's core," she murmurs.

she shifts closer, if only to adjust the microscope once more.

"that's how we tell the difference between human and pokemon hair, actually." something about explaining this makes her giddy. almost like a kid in a candy store... perhaps it's merely that there are very few people she can talk science with, even if fernando doesn't fully understand what they're looking at.

after another moment, she swaps out slides and places another beneath the scope.

"now, this one is another strand of mew's hair but it has the follicular tag still attached." she leans to adjust the scope once more until it's a sharper image. "do you see the difference?"

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,769 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 23, 2022 19:16:07 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

“AH.”

his response is lackluster but there’s not much more input he can add without being stuffy. which doesn’t discount how important this is—little interactions such as these make up the basis of his expertise.

for everything silph co. dabbles in, it would take several lifetimes to understand it all. to master every field is impossible. instead, employees focus on their subject matter to specialize. as the head, fernando indulges in small instances like this. at most, he’ll pick up a few words that he’ll forget by the end of the day but repetition and exposure builds the building blocks of eternity.

high level concepts. the basics. have it regurgitated enough times and it builds a loose web of understand just what happens, if only at the surface. it’s that which keeps him well educated and confident in the work his company does.

i see,” he murmurs as he leans against the eyepiece again. he pauses, eyebrows tightening, before answering.

indeed.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 25, 2022 0:48:08 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]"i believe," she pauses, glancing toward the unused slides to double check before continuing. "this is the extraction we'll use."

the root is still in tact. it's a prime specimen for what she has up her sleeve next.

and without waiting for him to finish looking, she's swapping slides. another hair is placed in front of the scope and she's shifting into another gear. the previous slide is taken apart in moments, glass removed to unearth the hair. and with a pair of tweezers, she's plucking it from the tray with surprisingly steady hands.

gone are the days where her fingers would tremble with nerves. there's only unbridled confidence left to shine.

"could you pass me that little tube of liquid?" a quick glance over her shoulder confirms its location. "it's to your right."

close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
awards
8,769 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 30, 2022 14:51:01 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

GENETICS

WHEN SHE SWAPS the slides once more, fernando is curious as to whether or not she expects him to comply. is he to keep look at each specimen to grasp an understanding of their difference? and, is there any real value in taking the time and effort to go beyond a mere courtesy check-in. hard to say—he’s not the expert here.

when she turns, he follows her gaze. her line of sight identifies the object in question and fernando passes it to her immediately. he even gets up from his seat to do so.

close tab

played by

nikki

illie, sap sipper
she/her
september 23rd
snowpoint city, sinnoh
bi curious
geneticist, alchemist
head professor
who are we
to fight the alchemy?
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,130 posts
part of
TAG WITH @illeana
illeana reyes
genetics
POSTED ON Jan 31, 2022 2:32:43 GMT
illeana reyes Avatar
[attr="class","illie"]
[attr="class","illie b"]
[attr="class","illie i"]he shifts to follow the order, rising from his seat until the vial is passed back over to her.

"thank you," she murmurs, a small smile rising for a moment. it's quickly swallowed up by concentration soon after, settling back into nothing. and when she scrapes the last of the dna off the tip of the hair follicle, she's screwing the cap back into place on the vial.

a swirl of the contents follows before she's moving from her spot. if he follows her to the next piece of equipment, she doesn't notice.

"okay," she breathes. "let's see what you hold."

the vial is placed in an empty slot of the analysis machine. and without hesitation, she's pressing the start up button. the machinery whirs to life and begins genetic analysis.

her mind lingers on the edge of its seat as the machine gets to work. what will mew's dna contain? will they find truth to the myth? will it unlock a new discovery? she's anxious just thinking about it, really. years of her life have been spent waiting for this moment.

minutes tick by before results finally begin to reveal themselves...

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,032 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
genetics
POSTED ON Feb 20, 2022 9:27:00 GMT
shiv Avatar

GENETICS

FERNANDO X ILLEANA

[player]https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7lj09TTT31yrg70yo1.mp3[/player]
A GENETIC ANALYSIS OF MEW'S DNA contains interesting, startling results. With every scan, there is a new match with another species' sequence of DNA. Mudkip, Scyther, Spectrier— the list goes on and on.

Curiously, the Pokemon with the most identical sequencing is Ditto. Of course, they seem to be similar in physical make-up. Their colours, their abilities... Perhaps, another intriguing comparison can be made to Eevee as well, for the evolution Pokemon possesses unstable DNA and miraculous possibility.