thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
getting used to never feeling
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2021 14:55:02 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Not until he is alone does he allow himself to grieve.

He locks the door behind him, as he always does. He brushes past the dogs that watch curiously from the living room, doesn't bother to turn on any of the lights, and makes it only two steps into his room before the last of his composure crumbles.

Gavin has never lost someone, since Kanto.

In Kanto, he hadn't been allowed to grieve. By the time he'd lost someone to whom he could be considered close, his emotions were buried behind walls so thick he'd forgotten how to feel. When he'd come to Hoenn, it had been a long while before he let anyone else get close. Long enough that when he'd started to deconstruct those walls he'd built, Rocket was — safer, for those that had stayed.

He had thought losing Emma must be as painful as if she had died.

He was wrong.

He staggers to the bathroom and dry-heaves against the sink.

Chu-e.

His breath is suddenly too fast, the room too small, his chest too tight. His knuckles are white against the dark marble of the countertop, fingers still stained with blood from the empty space he'd found when he came back for the body.

Were it anyone else, it would have given him hope. But Chu-e?

It is already past the time it should have perished, after all. Or had you not noticed?

Gavin slumps against the wall, breath shivering in his lungs.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 6:41:42 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Temp usually likes to call before he comes over.

Their relationship had been solid so far. had never made him feel like a burden or an idiot or like he was, as his nickname might be, temporary. Some things were just too hard on his nerves. A constant worry that he would fuck it all up. Today, though, he's brave. So Temp had bought two heaping plates of takeout (lots of rice, lots of spice, pineapple, delicious) and even dessert. Packed a toothbrush and a change of underwear.

He gives a light knock. No reply.

Waits a moment before he takes out his spare key. The one he was told was okay to use. He'd used before.

"Cillie?"

The door is locked back, bags dropped on the couch, food placed on the counter. It's quiet... but... no, not quiet. Slow footfalls make their way towards the bedroom. The bathroom light is on. Temp gently pulls it open.

"Cillie?"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 6:47:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's slumped against the wall, nigh unresponsive, knees pressed to his chest. He's shaking.

When the sound of his name draws his gaze to , his eyes are damp with tears he's refused to let fall. They're red, dark circles beneath them, a hollowness in the amber depths that are usually bright while focused on his lover.

He opens his mouth as if to say something, but no sound comes out.

How could he put it into words? That feeling that something has broken beyond repair?

His lip quivers and he looks frustrated with himself, pressing his lips together and letting out a shaky breath.

"Chu-e's — gone."

His tone as hollow as his eyes had been, his expression distant.
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 6:56:52 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Temp's adrenaline jumps for a moment. His eyes are sharp and quick as he takes in what looks like. But... no cuts, no bleeding, no blemishes. No obvious injuries.

He's hung there in a fine limbo until he speaks.

No physical injuries, at least.

"Oh." Temp isn't sure what to say more than that, for a moment. His pulse dies back down from where it had been. Temp hadn't been fond of Choi. He'd only met the man a few times and he had seemed more of a wild bother than anything, hurting Gavin and being a nuisance. But, he was one of Gavin's closest friends, so his heart aches.

Temp doesn't close the door behind him but he does slide down the wall next to Gavin, tries to wrap an arm around him, pull him close and into comfort.

"Come here."

Because Temp can't offer much. There are no words he can give Gavin that will close the hole that's been ripped into his heart. He can only offer a shoulder while he waits for it to scab over.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 7:08:41 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Temp's arm is a heavy, comforting weight against his shoulders, and Gavin subconsciously leans into the touch even before his partner speaks. He shifts even closer on demand, curling against Temp's side and leaning against his shoulder.

With the closeness, Temp will be able to feel him trembling like a leaf. The effort of suppressing his emotions is taking its toll.

"I — I've never... lost..." His words come out slow and disjointed. He feels like he has to wade through a thick fog to access his thoughts. "Not since Kanto."

Kanto. It always comes back to those days, somehow.
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2022 9:05:51 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Touches accepted, Temp raises his other arm to wrap around . Make a cocoon of comfort for his boyfriend. Idly, he rubs circles into his shoulder.

A soft kiss pressed to his temple, a little 'I'm here' as Gavin tries to find the words.

He wants to tell him it'll be okay, this will pass, but somehow that feels more like he would be spitting sugar into his lover's eyes than telling any type of truth. So he doesn't, stays quiet, listens, tightens his grip.

"You should let it out, babe/" A gentle coaxing. The hollowness under his boyfriend's eyes speaks volumes. If Gavin needs permission to cry, Temp will tear down the world to give it to him.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Jan 24, 2022 2:32:42 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
In spite of the heat behind his eyelids and the way his lip quivers with the effort of holding back his grief, Gavin offers a mute shake of his head in response to Temp's coaxing. He's never been allowed to cry.

You're not weak, are you?

It's always what he asks himself, in times like these, only it's his father's voice that rings through his thoughts. Sometimes it's Theo, and the memory of wanting to wrap his hands around the admin's throat and choke off the stolen words.

Temp has never insinuated his weakness, but Gavin is slow to change.

Gulping a few desperate breaths of air, he focuses on grounding himself with the feel of Temp's presence against him, the scent of his cologne.

"I knew he was dying," he says, at last, "I should've expected..."

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 6:38:49 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"He was your friend." Even if Temp still didn't understand why.

"That doesn't make it hurt any less." He drops his head on 's shoulder, squeezes him a little tighter. The pressure of it always helps him when he's sad. Temp hopes it helps Gavin feel better.

And Temp can't force Gavin to cry. He won't even try. Just gently encourage it. Or, at least have him try and process the emotions other than to swallow them down till he chokes on them.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 7:17:06 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
His eyes are hot with the tears he won't allow himself to shed.

"He was more than that," Gavin insists. "He was like a brother."

Like the brother he'd never had, for a while, until fate had brought into Rocket's fold. But even the existence of a blood brother didn't make the bond he felt with Chu-e any weaker. Brothers. His gut twists. He'll have to let Chung-Hee know.

Slowly, the hot shame brought on by his weaker emotions fades beneath the steady reassurance of his lover's touch. Temp loved him no less because of it. He still won't allow himself to cry, but he allows himself to lean his weight against his partner in earnest and take advantage of his company to ride through the worst of the grief.

"I promised I'd help him find some way to get through this," he says, voice thick. "But in the end there was nothing I could do."

It feels as if he'd failed him.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 16:44:52 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Heavy words and a heavier burden. His words drip slow around his tongue, carefully crafted to make sure that he didn't fuck this up. Say something that would stab into worse and prick open the wound even further.

"What's something you two used to do together? That was, like... fun?"

Looking back on memories of Choi would always have that sting for Gavin now. But that didn't mean he couldn't enjoy some of the old honey as he remembered.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 16:54:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Temp means well, and Gavin understands. But his words have the opposite effect to what's intended; it's a sharp stab in his gut as he tries to think and realizes that most of their recent memories are not good ones.

Necrozma had taken Chu-e from him long before he'd taken his lifeless corpse.

His lip quivers on a shaky inhale but Gavin steadies himself and closes his eyes. Thinks back further, to before Choi had licked that damn rock and sent everything spiraling. His lip twitches sadly.

"We'd talk a lot of shit," he remembers, and though his laugh is soft and strangled by grief, it's genuine enough. "Arceus, I miss that. We'd finish up a meeting and then just hang around gossiping like a pair of old women."

He rubs at his eyes with a hand.

"He was really good at cheering me up, always dragging me along with his latest nonsense." Then his look turns sadder, still. "That's how the whole... parasite thing started. We were fucking around with the fragment."

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 17:15:04 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"Do you think he'd want you to remember all the bad parts?" Temp still didn't fully grasp 'the parasite thing', probably never would, but it seemed like it had driven some type of wedge between Choi and .

And Gavin should remember. Chu-e pleading after their fight. To remember him as who he was and not what he became. His raw fear at being reduced to something he wasn't in memory even before Necrozma took it's hold. Of ending up a victim of his illness long before it took him.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 3, 2022 17:26:56 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's brow furrows, the grief fogging his mind.

"I..."

His fingers curl to fists as he slogs through memories better repressed to find the ones less tainted by the thing Chu-e had become. A sharp jerk against Temp's side when he remembers giving up the fragment to that thing.

But...

"No," he says softly, "but it's hard to forget."

Guilt weighs heavy upon him. He wanted to honor Chu-e's wish to be remembered for what was good, but how could he drive out the nightmares that haunted his thoughts? He had dreams of it still, woke shivering and clutching at his throat. Temp knew. Temp had seen him through those nights, even if he didn't understand what they had meant.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2022 23:44:07 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"It'll take time."

Temp thinks it over. Was now a good time to tell a personal anecdote? He didn't want it to seem like he was trying to draw attention away from Gavin's pain, though...

"It wasn't pretty when my mom died. It was really slow, went on for days. We did everything we could, but in the end it wasn't enough... She was the strongest woman I've ever known, you know? But it took a while before I could divorce the her that was scarred up and sickly on a bed from the woman who raised me. It gets better even if it doesn't feel like it right now."

Another quick squeeze.

"When was the last time you ate? Had something to drink?" Because, while it might feel or seem silly, Gavin probably wasn't taking care of his body. And that made grief so much harder to deal with.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2022 10:47:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"I don't want it to take time." Even as he says the words, they feel childish and impudent. His cheeks flush hot and he can't look his lover in the eye, though he does draw comfort from the warmth of his presence. "I wish..."

He trails off, and listens as Temp shares a fragment of his own past pains. It does make him feel better, to hear advice from him knowing that he'd gone through much the same and still managed to come out on the other side of it. It doesn't feel selfish of Temp, not to Gavin — his love is trying to comfort him, to reassure him that this is but a natural part of grieving.

Time for a confession of Gavin's own, then.

"In Kanto," and those words never precede anything good, "I could just... not feel it, you know?" Nevermind the fact that such a 'skill' had been beaten into him, forced upon him. Swallow your own pain lest they make it worse. He doesn't think of the bad parts, now, thinks only of how much easier it had been to shut down. "I did so many horrible things and I barely felt it at all."

A troubled look crosses his expression, and suddenly he realizes what he's said. But he doesn't take it back. Kanto, the things he'd done, they're a part of him as much as any other. The ugliest part, the hardest to accept.

"I miss it sometimes. Not feeling. But, then I wouldn't have you."

It's part of the reason he'd never felt anything for Temp in the beginning, or anyone else. For among the feelings he'd forced down, affection had been among them. Whatever you let close, Rocket would use to hurt you. Better not to feel at all.

It's why he'd never pursued Theo, until it was too late.

He blinks slowly, as if processing the question of food, water. His brow furrows.

"Hadn't been up long when they told me," and he's speaking of the informant who'd frantically called to let him know of a disturbance in their city. "Just half a coffee, never finished it, didn't eat anything... was asleep before then."

And it had taken hours, reporting to Walsh and debriefing the Beasts and comforting Eris and holding back his grief until finally, finally he'd been able to come home and fall apart. How long? How long?

"Too long," he mumbles.

With great difficulty and reluctance, he extracts himself from his lover's arms and uses the counter's edge to haul himself unsteadily to his feet. A glimpse of his appearance in the mirror is met with a wrinkled nose. I look a right mess.

"Don't know if I can eat, feel sick," he admits. "But, liquids..."