thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 6, 2022 19:20:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin wrings his hands, palms damp with sweat that he dries against his jeans. His hair is windswept from the flight and he fiddles with it as an excuse not to approach the house that belonged to Temp's father.

He's not good with fathers. His own had seen to that. But Temp had a good relationship with his dad, and Gavin understands that he will never have Temp without his dad and his village and their culture, above all else, so different from his own yet so integral to everything that was his partner. Only in realizing how close he'd come to losing Temp had Gavin realised how truly and ridiculously obsessed he'd become.

I'm not good enough for someone like you, Temp had confessed, and Gavin thinks to hell with that. He wasn't perfect, neither of them were, but he was Gavin's and Gavin was his. This was only an affirmation of that, he tells himself, but it doesn't soothe the anxious flutter of his heartbeat as he approaches and meets Tulio at the door.

Gavin's smile is quick, tight.

"Sorry for the short notice; had to pick a day he'd not be in town."

He being Temp, of course — his partner was off in Ever Grande on gym leader business, and Gavin had seized his chance. His text to Tulio had been short, simple; a request to meet and for Tulio to teach him how to make a certain food.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2022 16:30:09 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Tulio is smug.

He's waiting for . Arms crossed, leaning against his doorway, radiating that aura only men over fifty seemed to have. Teasing, from Tulio; not a reflection of negative impulses Gavin may be more accustomed with.

"Is it finally that time?" He laughs, deep and loud, Temp's laugh only older and richer. Then he winks and steps inside, motioning for Gavin to follow.

"Norm can make this with his eyes closed. Why not ask him?" A little pot is ready, sitting over that same hole that Gavin had eaten at the first time he was here. Tulio speaks as if he doesn't already have some idea of why Gavin didn't ask his boyfriend.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 7, 2022 16:38:22 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Time?"

Gavin blinks, expression a little distant like he's broken from some daze. Maybe it could be chalked up to the afternoon sun glaring into his eyes, making him squint, but in actuality it's his mind's attempt to rectify his image of fathers with the warmth that Tulio greets him with.

Arceus, will he ever get used to that?

You'd better, considering. And his stomach flutters around the thought.

Granting himself but a second to steel his nerves, Gavin follows Tulio into the house. The question posed to him when he gets inside is expected, yet still it takes Gavin a moment to answer. He clears his throat.

"Want to do something nice for him," is the explanation given. "Special occasion."

With Valentines coming up, perhaps that's not so shocking.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 8, 2022 21:57:29 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"Time." Tulio repeats back, a mockery of feigning innocence between them. A woven basket is pulled from the water, a Corsola poking her head out of the water to peer up at . She recognized him from the crossing some months ago, before him and Temp were a couple, just flirting and edging around feelings.

"Wouldn't have anything to do with my I was stuffed to the gills with some Galarian stew for a week, would it?" While not unpleasant to not worry about dinner, having the same thing for days at a time was... well. Next time would still be too soon was one way to put it.

A jagged knife as taken out, hooked spikes and a sharp, backwards arch of a curve. Wooden handle, made of bone but clean as a pin. Tulio held it out for Gavin to take.

"You ever used one of these before?" The basket was opened, a wriggling fish plucked out by the tail. Tulio moved a grate over the hole into the water before offering Gavin the fish as well. "You'll need it for this lovely lady."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 9, 2022 5:30:33 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Lips press together; Gavin's curious, but he won't ask again. Instead, he focuses on the Corsola that pokes her head up from the water and smiles gently as he nudges one of her spines affectionately.

A sharp, surprised laugh bubbles in his chest.

"So that's how he got so good." A warmth spreads through him as he realizes the effort Temp must've gone through on his behalf. His cheeks flush red, stark against his fair skin. "Told me he just got lucky."

But he doesn't seem upset, not at all.

The knife is taken delicately in hand, adjusted in his grip for comfort. The edge is tested lightly against his finger — sharp, good.

"Not often, but yes." These days he could buy whatever fish he wanted already de-boned and filleted, but that hadn't been the case in Kanto. "Been a while..." He'll be a bit rusty, he thinks, eyes narrowed with concentration.

He accepts the fish, as well, gripping tight so it doesn't wriggle free.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2022 21:23:20 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
A soft chuckle. "Knew he'd do something like that." And Tulio clicks his tongue. Another fish is taken from the basket, laid on the ground. A muttered prayer is given before he chops it's head off.

A bowl is put between the two of them.

"This dish ain't one you can make all the time- cause of this." The fish Tulio beheaded, he uses another jagged knife the same as 's, and slices the belly open. He reaches inside like it's nothing, pulls out ropes and cords of pink, round eggs which he drops into the bowl. "You're lucky we can make it now, actually. Would have hated to turn you away if you came any earlier."

He glances over at Gavin, waiting for him to copy him.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2022 21:32:38 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though the prayers are unknown to him and not echoed, Gavin beheads his own fish with only a slight mark of hesitation on account of how long it's been. Cooking is a bit like playing a sport, or riding a bike. You might forget the subtle nuances but the basics stick.

The next part he's not so experienced with. Eggs. His brows arch.

"Ah, I'd have settled for second best," he says, because it was important that he have something to serve for the upcoming special occasion. "But m'glad I wasn't too early, or too late."

He copies this step slower, more careful than he'd been before, fingers slippery with fish guts but held steady through force of will.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2022 21:40:45 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Tulio's eyes watch closely, appraising, but there is not sharpness there. People learn by doing, not by scolding or yelling, and 's effort is good enough for him.

"Spawning season lasts a while yet if you need more." A gentle encouragement in his own way. Water is added to the bowl so the eggs can soak; any guts or gore float to the surface while the eggs sink. "Just be-bone as normal from here. Special care is only taken for the eggs."

He's already at work as he says it. Bones removed, scales shaved, guts removed. The head is picked clean, too. Nothing will go to waste even if it's not eaten.

"My boy doesn't like too many sweets." Tulio speaks up, breaking the steady silence of their work. "But he does love this one thing you can make all year." Conspiratorial, between them, a a small upward quirk of the lips even if Tulio doesn't look up from his work.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2022 22:09:07 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's neck prickles under Tulio's scrutiny, but there is no sense of hostility beneath the older man's gaze as he watches Gavin work. It's strange. Uncomfortable only because Gavin isn't sure how to handle it and not for anything that Tulio himself was doing.

Different, he decides. It's different.

"I might," he admits, and before he can think to filter the words, "I want it to be perfect."

His cheeks turn red with the admission and he focuses on gutting and scaling the fish so as not to look at his partner's father. There's never any hesitation to display the gravity of his love when he's alone with Temp or even around most others, but there's something quite different about fawning over the man in front of his dad. Eggs are added to the bowl, and the movements of Gavin's hands speed up when he's told it's business as usual from this point on. That's good. He can handle that.

If he were a dog, his ears might've perked at the next words. Instead, the only hint to his curiosity is the way his fingers still in their work for a moment before resuming.

"Could I trouble you to teach me how to make it?"

Polite, formal, but at least he manages not to call him sir.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 10, 2022 23:20:48 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Hook, line, sinker. Tulio was a fisherman for a reason.

His lips quirk up just a bit, sly; Temp had learn how to be a tease and a jokester from someone, after all.

"It's a coconut milk bar. The sugar will cut your teeth but he can never get enough of it." The tender white flesh of the fish is placed in a bowl, which Tulio leaves open for . Just boiling water and salt. For now.

"You'll owe me about six coconuts next time you visit, though." Tulio isn't going to hold Gavin to that promise but he still winks and gets up to rummage around the small storage. "Reach in the water there and grab Princess out for me. You'll know when you grab her."
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 8:32:46 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Six coconuts seemed a small price to pay for such a valuable secret. He nods.

"You've got yourself a deal," he vows with all the solemnity of a greater promise. Tulio might not hold him to it but Gavin will be sure to return with the best bundle of coconuts he can find. Tulio is important to Temp and thus by extension important to Gavin; underboss of a criminal organization he might be, but Gavin wants Tulio to like him.

He reaches into the water, fearless, and then yelps sharply. Princess grabs him,, not the other way around.

Lifting his hand from the water with a Krabby dangling from it, he scrunches his expression against the pain. He can't exactly risk hurting her, so...

"Is there, ah... a trick to getting them to let go?"

His eyes are watering.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 20:12:11 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Tulio can't fight back the startled laugh of seeing his Princess hanging onto .

"Pet her head and offer her some of those fish bones. She'll let go quick." Tulio waits for Gavin to do so, expecting the other doesn't want to lose a finger to a grabby Krabby. "Open up, girl." She blows bubbles and opens up her large claw- which Tulio fits the coconut inside of. She grumbles and clamps down. After a moment, it's sliced into two, clean, the Vicegrip better than raw force.

Tulio catches both halves and pours the milk into a bowl.

"Do that with the other five of those. Be careful not to lose any milk!"
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 20:25:16 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Clenching his jaw through the pinching pain against his palm, Gavin uses his free hand to snag a fish bone and offer it up to the Krabby. True to Tulio's word, she lets go at once and seems amenable to Gavin stroking her shell.

"There you go. Much better than a finger, eh?"

He massages his sore hand to encourage the skin to return to its previous state.

There's a flicker of doubt in his expression before he schools it. He's never done this before — what if he fucks it up and drops one of the halves, or doesn't catch it in time? Then you'll owe the man another coconut. But anxiety breeds caution, and he treats each piece of coconut as if it contains the milk of the gods. His hands are steady. He's tortured with these hands, pressed a knife to a man's jugular just so and made sure that his finger doesn't slip.

So he doesn't slip, now, when it's milk would spill in place of blood.

He stacks the empty shells carefully, setting them aside.

close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 22:02:10 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
As stacks, Tulio picks up the half shells and starts to scrape out the tender flesh. Norman's boyfriend is pretty intense... but it's cute.

"You remind me of my wife, you know." A small and wistful chuckle. "Treated this stuff like life or death." Tulio wonders if that meant Gavin had some daddy issues, too.

"Put the milk over the fire and add as much sugar as you can. We're making coconut syrup." When he had said they were pretty much pure sugar he hadn't been kidding. He was pretty sure Temp liked them more for the fruit in it than the sweetness.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,863 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
hemisphere [s]
POSTED ON Feb 11, 2022 23:06:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's smile is brief, tinged with sorrow as he recalls an evening spent by a grave.

"I'd have liked her." There's a certainty to it. "Temp thinks so, too."

He forgets, this time, to call him Norman.

After a pause, he reaches for a coconut shell to help in scraping out the flesh of the fruit. He sets the milk over the fire and begins to add the sugar, occasionally glancing over at Tulio to ensure he wasn't putting in too much or too little.

After a silence, he finally asks, "I read that Luvdisc has a certain significance in Hoenn culture."

Books could be out of date. He has to know exactly what he's getting into.