Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2022 0:10:29 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
“I have no attachments. Haven’t had any… for two years now, I’ll be honest... What makes you ask, signore?”

A question that was unfortunately cut short and left unanswered in the wake of Slateport City's Speed Dating event. Barnaby barely had time to swap numbers with before the Contest Hall staff ushered all participants out the door.

After the exchange of a few text messages, however, the two men had at least arranged to meet and finish what they'd started - sans time limit. Barnaby was looking forward to getting to know Lars, as they'd barely scratched the surface on their first encounter.

He was the first to arrive at their planned meeting place: a cozy coffee shop at the heart of Verdanturf Town. It was a bright, clean space with a comfortable atmosphere. Luckily, it was a relatively slow day, with few other customers in the main dining area.

Barnaby ordered himself a cup of cranberry-orange tea before sliding into a booth in the back corner of the café. He had arrived a little early, so Lars was sure to be here soon.
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2022 19:15:01 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

When was the last time he had coffee?

Clearly, not in a long while.

He wondered if the other would contact him after that too-quick exchange.

Speed dates sucked, everything over in too short a time.

So imagine his surprise when he got a text from the other man, wondering if he was free to meet—right in Verdanturf?

Oh my.

Thankfully he knew the coffee shop where the other was waiting—and so there he was, at the counter, ordering a cup of the blackest coffee that they had available (no creamer, no sugar—just plain black!) before seeing the other man in one of the more private booths in the back.

“Hello, signore,” he said with this smirk on his face as he joined the other in the booth.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Mar 20, 2022 22:07:00 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Lars! Wonderful to see you again." Barnaby's first instinct is to stand and offer a friendly kiss to the Ranger's cheek, as was culturally accepted in Kalos, but he stopped himself short. Instead, a soft hand was given to Lars in greeting.

"Thank you for agreeing to come. Our last meeting together was cut far too short." In the same movement Barnaby used to take his hand back, the teacup was grasped and brought to his lips. One warm sip was taken before setting it back down on its saucer.

"I was hoping to spend a little bit more time together today. Get to know more about one another, hm?" He asked with a pleasant, easy smile.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Mar 21, 2022 5:40:57 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Charming.

Very charming, if he was going to be completely and totally honest with himself.

“It’s a pleasure. And this time—no more time limit,” he added with a triumphant smirk on his features as he returned the gesture—but not with a handshake; because ohh, he knew how these Kalosians operated.

Not caring if anyone else around them saw the gesture, he would take the other man’s hand and do what any proper man worth their chops would do—planted the lightest of kisses on the other’s hand before giving him this mischievous glance and slipping into the other side of the booth like absolutely nothing had happened.

(Two could play that game.)

“Before we were very rudely interrupted the last time—would you want to play a little game? It’s simple, really—two truths and a lie.”

The beginnings of a shit-eating grin crossed his features.

“I trust you’re familiar with that game, at the very least?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2022 17:52:02 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
It was with an amused, and slightly surprised smile, that Barnaby accepted the brush of lips across his knuckles. In the same breath, Lars ever so nonchalantly joined him on his side of the booth, requiring the journalist to shift in his seat to face the man now sitting beside him.

Forward, but not unattractively so. Perhaps he was always this friendly with near-strangers.

"I am, yes." Fond memories of his and 's drunken shenanigans came to mind at the thought of playing that particular game.

"I have to warn you, Lars, I'm very good at this game." The subtext spoke for itself. Barnaby was an adept liar, something that benefited him in both the criminal and public realms of his life.

Briefly, he pulled a pen and small notepad from his satchel, scrawling a T-chart on one page with their names written above either column.

Glancing up, his cobalt eyes met Lars' gaze, a spark of competitive mischief there. "First to five points loses?"

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2022 15:17:39 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

He internally cackled.

If there was one thing the other didn’t know, it was the fact that he had one of the perfect resting bitch faces around the region. That was something he was immensely proud of, at least.

(Just don’t catch him off-guard with certain topics, because only then would the mask of ‘calm’ shatter.)

“That remains to be seen,” he replied with a mischievous twinkle in his eye. Before he could continue, though, his order of coffee finally arrived. Perfect.

“Yes, that’s about a nice point,” he agreed.

“Who goes first, then?”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Apr 10, 2022 19:37:47 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
“That remains to be seen.”

"Oh? I'll give you my first truth on the house, then." Barnaby smiled devilishly, leaning in a little closer towards his date.

"I'm extremely competitive. You're going down, Lars." A whispered threat, meant to come off as lighthearted and fun. Pulling back and straightening up in his seat, he nodded his head in response to Lars' question.

"I'll do the honors." Barnaby proclaimed airily, bringing the ceramic teacup to his lips and taking another light sip before beginning their first round.

"I grew up with a Mr. Rime as a butler. I work for the Hoenn Broadcasting Station. I prefer dark liquors over light ones."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON May 20, 2022 16:01:13 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

It was definitely on! With that devilish look, well then.

He was secretly thankful he had a perfect (maybe terrible, but who was he kidding) case of ‘resting bitch face’, although he wondered if the other would pick up a lie.

Or was he going to drop a little bit of the truth? Who knew.

“I’m guessing it’s a toss-up between the preference for liquor and the Pokémon butler… but then again I’ve heard stories where some people had Pokémon guiding them for some part of their lives… however you also give me the aura that you’re quite the drinker…”

He then reached for his cup of coffee and took a sip.

“I’m taking a stab in the dark, the Pokémon butler is the lie?”

He hoped he was right after that statement. And then he realized it was his turn, so…

“I work a part-time job as a delivery rider; I have an aversion to certain Bug-type Pokémon; and I used to work at a fish market.”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON May 24, 2022 17:42:51 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Barnaby thought himself a good judge of character. He was an observer, always watchful and attentive to his environment and those within it. So when Lars began to speak, he surveyed the other man intently, picking up on the inflection in his words and any associated facial tics (or lack thereof, considering his chronic RBF). However, Barnaby’s studious composure was soon broken by the Ranger’s comment about his aura.

A bright laugh escaped from his lips, pleasant and good-humored. “Do I? Well, I’ll admit I like to enjoy a drink socially every now and again. I can certainly hold my liquor.” Now that was a lie that Barnaby even routinely told himself. He was a lightweight with the confidence of a heavy drinker.

That’s a point for you, Lars. I did indeed have a Mr. Rime as a butler. Reginald was his name, if I remember correctly.” Before continuing, he etched a tally mark on his date’s side of the paper.

I’m a broadcast journalist for HNN, by the way. You should look me up sometime, see if you like my work.” He was curious to know what Lars thought of his show, of his publications, or his social media presence.

As for your lie… an aversion to Bug-types is fairly common, so that seems believable to me. I have a harder time believing that you need to supplement your income with a part-time job, given your rank, but perhaps you enjoy the work? That leaves the fish market as the lie.” Barnaby announced this confidently, but inwardly he wasn’t 100% sure of his choice.

I’m an avid swimmer, an only child, and I like to go horseback riding in my free time.

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON May 25, 2022 19:36:59 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Okay, so his guess wasn’t too much off the mark, however—

Hot dang.

“Color me surprised, then,” he remarked as he took another sip of the blackest coffee in his cup before taking a few moments to process the other man’s answer.

“Spiders, specifically. I fucking hate ‘em,” he said with a barely-visible shudder. “One fucking fell on my face as a kid… and then tried to crawl into my mouth at the time because I was too busy screaming for my siblings to get it off me,” he recounted.

Not a happy memory at all, but then again, it was Léanne who swatted the Spinarak away so there was that consolation.

“What column in particular in the HNN?” he inquired, curiosity piqued.

At the mention of the part-time gig, he cackled inwardly.

“Before I was a Ranger, I was indeed, a delivery rider,” he continued. “Still am, despite them telling me I was free to go. I mean, the job did put money in my pocket while I was still going through the ranks, kept a roof over my head.”

He then reached for the pen and etched a mark on the other side of the paper.

“Quite sharp you are, although, I did live in Alto Mare for a while and there was a lot of fucking fish everywhere. Literally opened out into the ocean, so there were fish markets for days. Took me a while to get the hang of the language,” he shared with a laugh.

As for the other’s input? Hmm.

“You have that air of sophistication about you, however at the same time… if you were indeed a swimmer, you’d have some permanent tan lines here and there,” he remarked as he gave the other another once-over.

“My guess is between the horse-back riding and the swimmer… I think the swimming may be the lie, however it really depends on the frequency of going into the water.”

He went silent for a few moments, considering his answer.

“I’m going with the swimmer.”

Boy, he hoped he was right on that one.

It was his turn, so—

“I have two siblings. I go rock climbing in my spare time. And I can’t swim.”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Jul 4, 2022 4:39:41 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"On your face? I can't quite blame you then!" The thought of being in the other man's shoes sent a shiver down Barnaby's spine. He had quite a thick skin, but a surprise spider to the face would unnerve anyone, especially one that weighed almost 20 pounds.

"I'm glad it only scared you, though. It'd be a shame for such a handsome face to be hurt." RBF or not, Barnaby could appreciate Lars' conventionally attractive looks. Plus he wasn't one to withhold compliments when such an easy opportunity was given. A small smile was directed Lars' way before the journalist took another sip of his tea.

"As far as work goes, I like to dabble in popular media. I host a morning talk show where I interview local celebrities, comment on viral trends or important happenings, current events, and the like. I also write columns about things I find interesting at the time, so there's no strict genre. Really, the network gives me a lot of creative freedom to do what I like to do." His work had been wildly popular back in Kalos and he'd received a similar reception upon transferring to Hoenn. His employers recognized that he got results doing things his way, allowing for limited oversight.

Speaking of work commitments, travel was one of them. "Alto Mare?" Barnaby's tone noticeably perked; he enjoyed talk of foreign lands. "You'll have to tell me more about your stay there. I've always wanted to visit." Even the mention of fish markets piqued his interest. He was fond of well-cooked seafood.

"Fair point about the tan lines, by the way. I actually swam competitively in secondary school and at university, though! So, not a lie." Considering his fairly conservative attire, it was probably difficult for Lars to make out the toned swimmer's body beneath Barnaby's clothing. Another tally was added to the Ranger's side of the page.

"Lately I'm more of an indoor swimmer. Work in Mauville keeps me busy and I'm lucky if I can get a few laps in at my apartment pool during the week. Same goes for horseback riding, unfortunately." When he was swimming on his school's team most of his meets had been indoors as well. That didn't stop Barnaby from enjoying scuba diving and other aquatic hobbies, however. He truly did love the water.

Now, it was time to suss out Lars' next lie and, this time around, it seemed like a fairly obvious choice. "A Ranger that can't swim? Now that would certainly be an occupational hazard." Surely it was a requirement in case they were called to assist during floods or the like? "That has to be the lie." This time he was more confident in his answer. However, the obvious choice wasn't always the correct one. Perhaps Lars had managed to fool him!

With his decision proclaimed, it was his turn yet again. If Lars was perceptive he might have noticed that Barnaby didn't comment on his sibling situation and instead went straight into his next three statements.

"Tea is my favorite drink. English is my first language. I did my graduate studies in Galar."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2022 17:27:06 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Aha.

And here, he finally managed to turn the tables.

“I’d definitely want to tell you more about Alto Mare, it’s a very beautiful place,” he hummed as he took another sip of his coffee. He had to be careful not to hold the mug directly, because then it would become ‘iced’ coffee (in more ways than one) and he didn’t like that so…

“Ah, but signore, that’s where you’re wrong,” he continued with this twinkle in his eyes. “I, of course, can swim. Alto Mare is a place crisscrossed by water and nature, so of course one has to know how to navigate the waters without drowning themselves.”

He then reached for the pen and marked a line on the other’s side of the paper.

“I have other hobbies, but alas rock climbing isn’t one of them. Maybe some time soon. I’m busy as it is with trying to keep the region from folding under so many natural disasters happening in so many places at once,” he added with a grin on his face.

Of course, at the same time he was taking mental notes about which columns the other wrote for in the paper. He’d definitely give those a second read the next time he got his hands on it.

As for the next declarations… well, that put him in a quandary.

“Well clearly, you’re drinking tea right now,” he began with a soft chuckle. “So that rules that one out.”

The other two put a… hmm, well, he could tell the other clearly had an accent.

“I’ll take a guess, English isn’t your first language. I’ll go with that…”

There was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes as he said that.

Before long, it was his turn again. This was… hard. Considering.

It was time to dig up the obscure facts drawer once more!

“Ah, so it’s my turn again is it, signore? Alright.”

He couldn’t say anything about the motorcycle, so that was out, which left him with—

“I like the taste of tequila. I also like the taste of rum. And nothing beats the taste of a good ol’ lager.”

Okay, this one was definitely going to be a doozy for the other.

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Jul 17, 2022 21:02:16 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
"Looks like you're catching up," He conceded with a smile as Lars leaned over and drew a tally mark on the paper. The game wasn't over just yet, though!

Playing it cool, Barnaby refilled his cup of tea from the kettle on the table and then took another sip, listening as his date talked of Alto Mare and other hobbies. When he spoke of his work, though, Barnaby reacted with a sympathetic look and furrow of his brow.

"You're right, Hoenn has been particularly crazy as of late." What with the space-time distortions popping up and everything else. "What made you want to go from delivery rider to Ranger? It's a much more dangerous occupation."

As the conversation shifted back to their competition, Barnaby regarded with an equally mischievous twinkle in his eye. "Yes, I do love tea. I enjoy trying out new types and flavors when I can."

And then came his answer, which was correct, of course. That round had been too easy, Barnaby supposed, his accent having given it away.

"Alright, you bested me there. A bonus point to you for remembering I'm Kalosian." It was something that had been revealed during their first meeting at the Speed Dating event.

Two more tallies were added to Barnaby's side of the page (he wasn't kidding about the bonus point!), leaving their scores tied. Their game would likely be decided in the next round.

The pressure was on!

"A choice between beer or liquor?" Barnaby paused, hand on his chin, and narrowed his eyes in mock-appraisal as he observed Lars. "You look like a beer man... so, I'll say tequila is the lie. That shit burns going down. Rum is smoother, in my experience."

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Oct 5, 2022 6:19:19 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

Lars cackled. Well, internally cackled when signore made his choice.

“I hate to bust your bubble,” he began after he allowed himself a few moments of silence for the mirth inside the back of his head.

“I knock back tequila without need of lemon or salt.”

One could only wonder how he didn’t have cirrhosis at this point. Well, to be fair he didn’t drink all the time; he only resorted to the bottle when he was stressed. Thankfully it wasn’t happening recently.

“The rum’s the lie,” he added with a chuckle as he took another sip from his cup of coffee—and then his brows crinkled because the cup was empty.

“I ran out of coffee.”

close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
Caffè [M]
POSTED ON Oct 17, 2022 2:26:24 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
And just like that, Barnaby found himself the loser in their little competition. Despite this, though, he wasn't having any hard feelings. If anything, the way proudly proclaimed his love for tequila only brought an amused smile to the journalist's lips.

"You're a tougher man than I, Lars." He responded, laughing along with the Head Ranger. Barnaby didn't relish the burn of strong liquors. He'd take the lemon and salt in a heartbeat.

As their laughter died down and Lars inspected his coffee mug, Barnaby looked at his own cup and found it lacking as well.

"And I've run out of tea." It was a melancholy statement, as if he wasn't ready for their meeting to come to a close. Still, all good things must end, as the saying goes.

"You played quite the shrewd game, Mr. Anderson. I suppose I should bow out with grace." There was a mischievous twinkle in his eye as Barnaby said this. "We should do this again, though. I had fun."