Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
Knock knock, who's there? Friendship. [S]
POSTED ON Mar 22, 2022 20:16:19 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Today was a bad day, no doubt.
The Starmiebucks line nearly wrapped around the entire building, she spilled water on her blouse several times while at work, and to make matters worse, the newest patch of The Last Fantasy is said to nerf her main class...

So, with nothing else to turn to, she decided a change of pace would brighten her mood. But that said change of pace was closed for renovations, so she decided to go with option 2: a local book store.

It was far from her typical venues of relaxation, but maybe that's what she needed?  A new environment to help wrangle out this series of fuck ups.  Grandma did always cite bookstores for the source her most pleasant memories.

Forced smiles and lit eyes, the woman entered the cozy establishment ready to slurp up every drop of gold the world was willing to offer her.

And that slurp of gold was an unsuspecting Greyson Conners -- a notable gym leader for the league. Just like that, Penelope's false smile was replaced with genuine glee as this unpredictable twist in events guaranteed more than a mundane trip.

'Thank you, Grandma', she thought as she quickly began to approach him.
close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2022 0:08:30 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
"hm."

greyson stood in the young adult section, both hands busy as he turned over the books in his grip. 'legends and lattes', by travis baldree, and 'unsouled' by will wight. both were incredibly good books, with one having ten in the series, while the other was a recent addition to the fantasy genre. travis was also the narrator for will's audiobooks, coincidently enough.

but did he want both? of course he did.

stacking them into one hand, he hitches them under his arm and turns on his heel. time to go to chec-

he nearly runs into a woman.

"ope. uhm, excuse me. was a little lost in thought there." her focus on him was a bit unnerving, and he furrowed his brow. "uh, do i know you by chance?"

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2022 1:41:44 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Ah shit.

She was being intense again -- a bad habit of hers, for sure. Easing into a more open posture, the woman smiled.

"I'd be honored if you did." It was a joke most people wouldn't understand. Not unless they clicked the bolded name attached to every piece she uploaded for her station. Thank Arceus for that, though. The image linked to her name was a 4/10 at best, but that's what you get for going to the office without covering up your dark circles. 

Before the man could properly respond to her aimless joke, Penelope continued to fill the air with more nonsense. The only difference was that this time, there was some intent behind her words. "Oh! Nice choice," She gave a nod of approval towards the books in his grasp, "Haven't read Legends and Lattes yet, but Unsouled had me hooked for like a week."

It was a lie, of course. Fantasy was typically a genre she avoided under most situations, but she needed an in, and nothing beats using one's interests against them.

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2022 20:42:21 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
he blinked at her comment. a small knot formed in his mouth, and he couldn't formulate the sentence he'd meant to, before she was moving on.

instantly, his expression lit up.

"i know, right? honestly, i sped through it and soulsmith in two days flat. what'd you think of jai long? i found his mask to be great for his character. i can't imagine what his fangs look like."

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Mar 31, 2022 4:51:36 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Greyson's instant change of expression was all she needed to see.

Bingo.

Smiling, Penelope casually ushered the man further into the aisle they were in, so they'd move out of the way of oncoming store traffic. "I loved him," She nodded, "His design? Mwah. I haven't finished reading the series yet, so while I really like him, I just hope they don't ruin his character... I've had that happen too many times already."

Be as vague as possible, she reminded herself. Say too much and he'll easily sniff her out.

"Wait, if you've read it, why are you picking it up again? Looking to get the physical collection, or something?"

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 0:25:25 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
"i'm sure he won't. will is a brilliant writer. his characterization of yerin, for example?" he chef's kisses, freezes, then quickly flushes away the embarrassing emotion.

"i, er, just mean they're really good books." with his free hand, greyson pats his hair down nervously.

"i listened to their audiobooks and just figured i'd get their physical copies too," for his eventual library of course, "what uh, brings you here?"

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 5:59:13 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar

Her hand flew to her mouth as she (poorly) attempted to stiffle the bubbling fit of laughter that threatened to escape her throat.

"Sorry, sorry," She apologized, her growing smile still well hide beneath her hand. "That was just so cute."

So cute, in fact, that it reminded her of something her favorite character-type would do. Shy, geeky, and easy to blush-- the exact type of person that's hardly ever seen in her line of work.

"I'm actually here to see if I could find something new to obsess over. Maybe you could give me some suggestions?"

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 17:38:23 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
greyson chuckles nervously, the blush from before feeling hot against his cheeks. his hand presses more firmly against his hair, and he can't meet her eyes.

"sorry, i, uh, forget to think sometimes before acting." a poor excuse, not that he needed one. it wasn't like she was vilifying him for it. why was he apologizing at all.

but her request perks him up, eyes widening in surprise. violet hues light up further, sparked by a shared passion. the blush still remains, however.

"y-yeah, i can!" if there was one thing he always wanted to do, it was share his favorite books with others. "i've got so many, where to start," he whispers, pulling out his phone and scanning his kindle library. there were dozens of books in there, encompassing mostly a fiction/fantasy setting. nearly all of them were progression fantasy, with a good portion literary rpgs (LitRPGs). but what could he recommend...

"have you ever heard of Iron Prince? it's a collaborative book by some guys named bryce o'connor and luke chmilenko. but it's insanely good. or maybe you'd like Beastborne by james t callum? those can be pretty long, but easy to escape into. hm..."

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 19:39:33 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Man, did his response make her want to pinch his lil cheeks!

"Don't apologize,"She assured him, a smile still lighting her expression, this time unobscured by her own hand. Shrugging, she continued, "Like I said, it was cute."

Just as quickly as they had (tactfully) stumbled into a conversation with one another, he had sped out of it, completely consumed by the mere idea of sharing his suggestions with her. The sheer excitement he expressed nearly reminded Penelope of herself-- though, instead of books, her poison was more or less games like D&D and Pathfinder. But, regardless of that difference, she was well aware of the familiarity of having someone inquire into your interests. And the strike of electric energy that comes with it.

When Greyson moved to fish out his Kindle, Penelope had followed and added two more steps. That way, she was hovering only a few inches beside him.

Hair lightly brushing his shoulder, she craned her neck just enough to be able peer down at the phone and silently allowed her eyes to catch the occasional glimpse of a familiar title every other page or so. "Ooo, Iron Prince sounds good." She hummed, her breath close enough to possibly tickle his neck with it's warmth. "I've always been a fan of collaborative work. What does it do well in? Characterization? Worldbuilding?"

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2022 3:48:56 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
if his brain wasn't deep into thinking about what books to recommend, he might've blushed further at her comment. greyson didn't handle compliments well, especially from women. it'd always been a weakness of his.

"oh it really is," he says, turning to face her excitedly. her breath was warm against his neck, but that had gone unnoticed. until now, that is. it took him a long moment before coming to the realization that she was standing right there. close enough to smell her perfume; to feel the scratching of her hair against his shoulder.

it takes all his effort not to stumble away and inevitably trip over himself. his face turns a shade redder than last, and he visibly gulps down the anxiety.

"u-uh," he stammers, trying to find out where he was, "oh, y-yeah. honestly, he does all of that well." the more he spoke about the book, the more confident he felt; this was an area he comfortable with. it showed. "this is honestly my first collaborative book, but really, the characters are fleshed out really well. there's this system of technology that mirrors magic almost, with what seems like hard rules. the combat is written really well, and it's just long enough to not drag on."

he stops, all too aware of how he was dragging on. he slips in an apologetic smile, avoiding her gaze ever so slightly. "i could go on for a while, but i think my favorite part — and brandon sanderson does it in his Mistborne novels too — is that the authors adds a little blurb right before every chapter. a slice of something outside the story that adds just a little weight to the world." he's careful not to go on too deeply this time. greyson instead clears his throat.

"if uh, that makes sense."

he became all too aware of how close she was to him again, but he suppresses the urge to back off. project confident greyson. confidence! oh, and don't tell her about your dnd character. you'll probably spook her off.

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2022 6:01:10 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
When he turned back to her, she smiled, then stepped back far enough to give him some space.

It's amazing how much a person can shift when they're talking about something they're passionate about. It's like watching a staraptor take flight for the first time in years-- it may start out a little shakey, but after a few seconds of readjustment, you can really see them soar. Greyson was the same. When it was just them, he seemed a little nervous, maybe? Shy? But when it came to books, well, she might as well be talking to another person entirely.

"That sounds nice," She hummed, "I always prefer a magical system to have hard rules. Otherwise, the story can feel all over the place, which is like, a big pet peeve of mine."

Penelope paused. An idea occurred to her, but unlike what she's been doing up until now, it felt more like a risk. And an unnecessary one at that. Pressing her lips into a tight frown, she gave the idea a second to ponder over, weighing down its benefits and its costs, until finally relenting.

"Do you play D&D? Or do you, like, know of it? Sorry if it's a bit of a random question, I just--"

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Apr 17, 2022 2:47:11 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
greyson nods sagely as she speaks, eyes scrunched in thoughtful concentration. "i listened to a lecture from brandon sanderson, and he agreed. at least, in his writing." he remembered listening to mistborne just recently and was amazed at how simple — yet interesting — the magic in the book was. and a huge part of that was because of his hard magic rules.

his mind goes back to another of his favorite series — wheel of time. it kind-of teetered on the wheel between hard and soft magic, but still, it was one of the best book series he's ever read. and probably ever will again.

greyson blinks, lost in thought.

what did he say?

"yes." he answers so fast he surprises himself, then his cheeks redden, and he pats his hair down again, "i mean, yes... i do play d&d." was she reading his mind? did she have a psychic-type around?

"i'm uh," greyson chuckles nervously, "more of a DM than a player, mostly by necessity i guess? but my pinterest folder is so ful-" he suddenly remembers where he was.

"i like to... theory craft, uh.. characters..."

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2022 2:46:12 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Hopeful eyes tucked beneath a line of upraised eyebrows stared back at the gym leader as he thoughtlessly gave his initial reply, then delve into a more detailed explanation.

The more he spoke, the more the ends of her lips stretched upward, eventually leaving behind a childish toothy grin.

"You do?!?!?!" She squeaked. It was already rare for her to meet someone of similar interest in Lilycove, and it was even RARER for her to meet someone of similar interest WHILE working. Again, the more Greyson continued, the more excited Penelope began to look, as her previous features of interest shifted into hints of absolute delight.

And it only got better when admitted to having. a. PINTEREST. BOARD.

She didn't even know where to start. The theory crafting? The Pinterest board? THE FACT THAT HE'S A DM?? He had said so many of the right things, that it had nearly sent Penelope's head spinning from sheer eagerness alone.

"One, I do too." She put up her index finger, "Two, I'm ALSO more of a DM," then her middle finger, "Three, I demand to see your pinterest board," then her ringer finger, "Four, tell me all about them. Your characters, your current campaign, everything." and finally, her pinkie finger.

close tab

played by

Snubis

Grey / Connors
He / Him
Twenty-Six
October Thirty-one
Oldale Town
Heterosexual
Bee Enthusiast
Elite Four
1061 height
1061 height
awards
3,028 posts
part of
TAG WITH @greyson
Greyson Connors
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2022 3:39:17 GMT
Greyson Connors Avatar
he didn't know quite how to feel.

watching penelope's facial expressions was truly like watching a rising symphony. it was beautiful, amusing, surprising and a dozen other emotions he couldn't place. none of them could match her own, however.

"no shit?" he found himself saying on reflex, many nights on the game with and the occasional drinks with , and forcing his more blunt side into rising. he suppressed the urge to blush and apologize.

then he watches her count each moment down. his head rising and falling into slow, purposed nods with each one.

"uh, uh, uh— " think motherfucker think! it was all his brain was screaming at him. a sensory overload of his own doing. he pushes himself to calm down, the beat of his heart like war drums in his ears. he tries to count as he speaks, but loses it quickly.

"— uh, one. no, two, that's awesome. dming is really fun, if not a god awful amount of work— "

"— three, uhm." his mind falters for a moment, but his attention looks down at his phone to luckily keep him moving. "what's your pinterest account?"

keep going!

"four, er. it's a lot of information." the revelation forces a laugh out of him, and his eyes wander to a nearby café inside the store, "did you want to... sit and get a coffee and we can talk about it?"

was this like a weird first date?

close tab

played by

Captain

Penny, the coveted
She/her
September 25
Petalburg
heterosexual
HBIC Director
Council
tear me to pieces
skin to bone
5'6" height
5'6" height
awards
2,714 posts
part of
TAG WITH @penelope
PENELOPE LIVY
POSTED ON Apr 22, 2022 23:17:54 GMT
PENELOPE LIVY Avatar
Would she?

"Yes!"

From his initial reaction to his attempts at quickly slipping in small responses to her barrage of questions, Penelope wanted to explore all of it. Greyson Conners was no longer a target to win over and use as a means to extend her network. Rather, he had somehow become a person of personal interest.

As they made their way to the bookstore's quaint coffee shop, another question sprouted in Penelope's head. "Are you a coffee drinker? Or is tea more your thing?" She asked, her head slightly tilting. Since the store was already pretty empty when she first came in, there were plenty of tables left to choose from. Each table had a decorated rustic lamp near the center of it and a pair of patio chairs on either side. Her hand gently laid on top of her chair's back rest.