he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2022 22:37:11 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo walked along the route, accompanied by a large black-and-red canine Pokemon. She was the Arcanine he'd had for a while now, yet taller and tougher, her black mane and tail neat as if groomed, accentuated with permanent wisp-like curls. Nothing like the wild, fluffy hair Hideo had been accustomed to for so long - and had used in lieu of a blanket on more than one night.

Hideo still didn't understand why she'd changed like this. It wasn't some kind of Mega Evolution - he'd be lucky if those lasted minutes, and she'd been like this for over a month now. He knew it was still his Arcanine - her overly-friendly (and somewhat-dopey) temperament was still there, and she was still spending a lot of time with his Lycanroc.

If anything, they were spending more time together now.

But with everything going on lately, finding out what had happened to her was the least of his worries. And she seemed just fine healthwise, so there was no urgency driving him beyond his curiosity.

Was she the only Arcanine that was changed like this?

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
My legacy is in the lives I save
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2022 5:32:40 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Eva walked along the same path alongside her Kanto Arcanine. The dog troted along, sniffing aimlessly at the various scents strewn across the route. Eva had her thumbs tucked inside the straps of her hiking pack filled with various equipment she may find useful if she comes across a distortion or some sort.

Enlisting the help of , Eva had be attempting to predict their spontaneous appearances but without an adequate number of phenomenon, her prediction today seemed to be inaccurate.

With a heavy sigh, she frowned, stopping in the middle of the route. After a quick glance in either direction she turns her attention to the Arcanine, “Not today, I guess,” there was obvious disappointment in her voice . . . Until she spotted and his larger, darker version of Hades.

With a bright smile the greets the child and his companion, “Hi there! I’m Eva,” her gaze fixates on the Hisuian Arcanine. She had heard rumors of the alternate fire-type, “I have to ask, what kind of pokemon is this beauty?”

[attr="class","milkcredit"]MILKY
[newclass=".eva"]--accent:#298A08; position:relative; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote b, .eva blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass] [newclass=".eva .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #298A08; [/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 7, 2022 22:41:12 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo's steps paused, his attention grabbed by someone addressing him. Not a voice he recognized - nor the name. "Hello," was his quick response, before asked about his Pokemon.

It wasn't too surprising someone asked him about her. "She's an Arcanine, though she really looks different from most, doesn't she?" He'd gotten a decent-enough description from his Rotomdex to know that she didn't simply feel different.

He brushed her side with his hand - her fur still felt tougher than he remembered. "She wasn't always like this. She used to be like any other Arcanine, but then something weird happened over in Petalburg woods. A bunch of Pokemon appeared out of nowhere-" He lost track of how many Eeveelutions they'd battled there, "-and next thing I knew, she was like this."

A small nuzzle to the side of the face caught him off guard, and he had to gently push away the affectionate Arcanine.

"Didn't change how she acts that much. She still listens to me when I call her 'Floofer'." And she still carried him around when there was danger - either on her back or with her mouth. "So it's not like I got her mixed up with some other Arcanine wandering around."

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 19:49:40 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Eva’s male Kantonian Arcanine cautiously approached, his head dipped low to display submission. He didn’t want to startle his strange counterpart into thinking they meant any sort of danger. He tilted his head slightly, sniffing at the air around the stranger to get a better grasp on what kind of pokemon this was. It smelt like an Arcanine, but not exactly like an Arcanine. With a forceful exhale, he snorted, just as confused as before.

Meanwhile, Eva listened intently to Hideo’s story, humming every now and then to indicate she was following along. Strange happening in Petalburg Woods with violent pokemon? Definitely a distortion.

“That’s very interesting, thank you!” Eva’s attention turned back to the loveable pup, “Well she’s quite beautiful!” Eva shifted the pack on her back, “I’m actually a Doctor, one of the League Head Professors,” if he cared at all, “I’m studying those strange phenomenon like you encountered in Petalburg Woods. I heard about a variant of Arcanine but had yet to see one. I think that may be what happened to Floofer here.”

Eva fishes a pokeball out of the side of her pack to release the contents. A strange looking Goodra materializes in flash of light, “A similar thing happened to my Goodra while I was in Petalburg Woods. Feel free to scan her with your pokedex if you like,” she offers the loveable dragon to step closer to Hideo, a goofy smile pressed over her leathery lips.

[newclass=".eva"]--accent:#298A08; position:relative; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote"]width:350px; margin:0px auto; font-size:12px; line-height:15px; border-radius:0px 0px 10px 10px; border-top:none; padding:40px 70px; [/newclass] [newclass=".eva blockquote b, .eva blockquote i"]color:var(--accent) [/newclass] [newclass=".eva .top"]background-color:var(--accent); padding:10px; height:15px; background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom right; width:470px; margin:0px auto; border:1px solid #298A08; [/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:25px; right:41px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #222, 1px -1px 0 #222, -1px 1px 0 #222, 1px 1px 0 #222; text-transform:uppercase;font-weight:bold[/newclass] [newclass=.eva .milkcredit a]font-weight:bold; color:var(--accent)!important;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 13, 2022 22:40:11 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo could hear Eva’s Pokemon approach, seemingly focused on his Arcanine. His Pokemon merely watched, tilting her head as she was sniffed. Just to be polite, she sniffed back, though by the time the other Arcanine finished, she noticed his confusion - though she didn’t know exactly what he was confused by.

Hideo practically lit up when Eva introduced herself as a League Head Professor. "Oh, wow!" he exclaimed, "Glad to know I can help a Head Professor!"

He nodded as Eva explained the phenomena. “It was the first one I was in, but not the only one.” More than one case where Pokemon literally appeared out of nowhere, including strange ones that were a lot like other Pokemon, yet different. “I was kinda close to one near Sootopolis, and I was in one in the Mossdeep Space Center and in Mt Pyre. And each time, I got a strange Pokemon. The first one was the only time it changed my Pokemon.

He could hear Eva let out a Pokemon, listening to her explain which it was. He simply shook his head at the offer to scan it - there was no need. “Thanks, but I already got one scanned in my Pokedex. It's like a Goodra, but it's got a big shell on its back, like a Magcargo, right?

Probably obvious to anyone who could see, but without any of his Telepathic Pokemon (or his Rotomdex) out, he'd need someone else to tell him.

"I got one like that when I was near Sootopolis. Think it managed to wander out all the way to me. At least, I'm pretty sure it's a Goodra: it's goopy like one."

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2022 17:21:16 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Hideo’s delight makes Eva smile. She hated pulling the ‘Head Professor’ card, but it did always seem make other more comfortable talking about their experiences, “I’ve picked up a few new pokemon too. But, yeah, the Goodra is the only one that’s actually changed,” it makes for an interesting line of questions when examined from a scientific point of view.

As Hideo explains the Goodra, she eyes her own, nodding along before realizing that would be no help, “Yeah, that’s exact what it looks like,” Eva returns the pokemon with a click of the pokeball, “That one is quite similar to a standard Goodra, but it displays additional qualities of a steel-type,” another example of new dual typing.

Eva turns back towards the Hisuian Arcanine, “Has Floofer displayed any new typing qualities?” from her educated observations, the mane seemed more rigid, accented by plates of an almost rocky texture.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 16, 2022 20:28:44 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo nodded - a motion that didn’t work for him, but he knew everyone else could understand well enough. “I gotta wonder how many other people got their Pokemon changed,” he mused, “or why they’re changing like that. I don’t think it’s totally random, ‘cause both our Goodras are different in the same way: mine's got a big steel-like shell too, and knows some Steel moves.” Maybe there was some method to the chaos unfolding through Hoenn.

As for his own Arcanine’s changes: “Well, I dunno about typing…I kinda rely on my Rotomdex for that stuff, and this is the first time it’s seen this Arcanine, so it just says she’s Fire type.” It took a moment of thinking before he recalled a couple changes. “But it did notice that she learned a Rock-type move. Arcanine’s usually don’t learn those. She’s still got a lot of fire-type moves too, even one I didn’t even know about ‘til my Rotomdex brought it up.

There was also another change he’d noticed, though it was fairly subtle and probably didn’t mean too much. “And, uh, I guess her skin’s a bit rougher too? It’s only really something I notice when I’m petting her or riding on top of her.

All those together lead to a theory. “So maybe’s she part Rock-type now?

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 19, 2022 21:30:01 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 “A rock type move?” Eva repeats with curiosity. Her gaze falls back on the Arcanine with more concentration. Her eyes narrow into a pensive squint as she studies the pokemon’s fur and the rocky plates embedded within the mane.

“How interesting,” she ponders, tapping a finger against her chin, “I always found the best way to assess new abilities and characteristics is through battle,” that’s how they confirmed the new dual-typing of ’s Electrode, “A fire and rock type combo is quite unique,” But not as unique and the grass/electric typing. Eva could think of a few pokemon off the top of her head that shared the combination.

“Do you think Floofer would let me take a few samples to study?”

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 20, 2022 23:11:47 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
Hideo nodded. "Yeah, she can use Rock Slide now. Not exactly a weak Rock move, and it's the only one she has. She wouldn't be the first Fire/Rock-type out there, but she's definitely the first Arcanine I've heard of with that type." If it was her typing now. "I haven't had the chance to test her new stuff in battle yet. Last time I had was when she got changed, and I missed exactly when the change happened, so I dunno if she's gotten stronger or tougher or whatever."

She had already been averse to water before, so he didn't notice any changes in her bath-time behavior. Though that new typing combination didn't bode well against Water attacks.

As for Eva's request? "Oh, sure!" Hideo replied, nodding. "I'm sure she won't miss a bit of samples if you ask her…though I gotta ask what you mean by samples?"

As Hideo said, the Arcanine was willing to let Eva take a few samples from her - a bit of her fur, a few chunks of her rocky plates. Her friendly demeanor wouldn't change - even if she would whimper a bit if a sensitive part got tapped.

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 26, 2022 1:55:07 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Eva smiles brightly when her request is granted. She waits a moment before approaching the Arcanine, seeking approval from the dual-type as well. Floofer seemed amenable to her request she she proceeds, “Thanks! This will really help in my research!”

Eva rummages through her back a little bit before taking out a little tube and a small set of scissors, “Some fur samples would be great, especially those there on her mane,” she points a finger up towards the canine’s mane near the rocky plates so Floofer could understand. If allowed, she’d reach up and snip off a fur tufts of fur a little chip of a rocky plate.

“A uh . . . blood sample would be great too but . . .” some people hated needles, “It’s a small needle, just a liiiiitle poke in the back leg, that’s all!”

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON Apr 27, 2022 22:31:04 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
The Arcanine watched as Eva approached her, nodding as she was asked permission. She was already fine with it once Hideo agreed to it, lying on the ground with her legs out and aligned with her body in a very comfortable sploot.

Her mane would be in easy reach, and there was plenty of mane and rock to sample from. She wouldn't fight it, even adjusting her neck if Eva needed it.

However, the mention of drawing a blood sample brought a worried look on her face. And knowing it was a look Hideo couldn't see, she let out a small whimper, gently poking at the boy with her head. "Guess she's less eager about that," Hideo sighed.

If it had been some random person, he would've been more adverse to the request, but this was a head scientist of the League. "Well, if it'll help us understand what's happened to her, you can take a sample. It'll just be a little bit, Floofer."

He pat his Arcanine on the head, the large canine sadly nodding and keeping her head close to Hideo. She'd allow Eva to take a sample - though the moment the needle touched her skin, she'd pull Hideo in, small tears forming in her eyes as she held him like a stuffed toy.

Fortunately, Hideo wasn't hurt, just patting her on the head as the blood was drawn.

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON May 4, 2022 4:23:22 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 After tucking the fur and rock samples away, she sighs, understanding the hesitation to get blood drawn. It’s especially sketchy getting blood drawn by a complete stranger. They had just met about 10 minutes ago. Perhaps she was being too forward.

For some reason, it seemed Hideo trusted her. In turn, the Hisuian Arcanine reluctantly obliged, “Thanks!” she smile lights up as she prepares her syringe, “You’ll barely feel a thing, I promise!”

As Floofer find solace in the comfort of her trainer, Eva kneels near the Arcanine’s back legs. There’s a large vein on the lateral aspect that she can easily draw from. She’ doesn’t need much, just a few milliliters. The needle she uses I quite small, especially in comparison to the Arcanine’s size.

A subtle pinch, and a few moments later, she’s done.

“Very good, Floofers! Thank you!” Eva properly tucks away the blood sample and pulls an Oran Berry out of her bag, “Can she have a treat?” For being a good girl, of course.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON May 4, 2022 22:53:31 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
The Arcanine whimpered slightly, holding Hideo tight as the needle entered her body. It was only a tiny needle, and barely any blood was taken, but she still held on to Hideo like she was getting an amputation. The boy could only accept his fate as a comfort toy, patting his Arcanine on the head and whispering comforting words to her.

Was she actually in a lot of pain, or was she just playing it up?

When she spotted the Oran Berry offered as a treat, tears dried up almost immediately, a wide smile on her face as she went right for the berry, her tail wagging.

"Yeah, she can have it," Hideo said, freshly freed, though she'd already eaten it before he spoke. "Floofer can be a real drama queen sometimes."

That comment earned him an Oran-Berry-enhanced lick to the side of the face, sticking his hair up with a slight blue tint.

"So what're you gonna study her blood for?" he asked, trying to wipe the saliva off his face and get his hair back down. "Is there something you're looking for in particular?"

He could only hope it was a simple answer: he didn't know squat about what was supposed to be in blood, other than blood cells.

close tab

played by

BD

The Peacemaker
She / Her
January 25
Pallet Town, Kanto
Heterosexual...?
Veterinarian
Head Prof / Major
I HOPE
you dream of me
5'3'' height
5'3'' height
awards
3,757 posts
Eva Morales DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @dreva
Eva Morales
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON May 10, 2022 3:25:13 GMT
Eva Morales Avatar
[attr="class","eva"]
[attr="class","top"]
 Floofer eagerly accepted the berry and all seemed well again, as if nothing happened! Perfect. Eva shrugged her shoulders and gave Hideo a smile. The brightness of it reflected in her voice, “It’s alright, it can be scary stuff!”

Once the berry was devoured, she wiped her now slobbery hand on her jean shorts to dry it up, “I’m comparing it to the more traditional forms, looking for differences. I’m also testing for evidence of primal energy or perhaps an energy that we haven’t discovered yet,” she knelt down to safely tuck the sample away into her pack.

“The distortions are just bursts of energy, and it take a lot of energy to change formes or evolve pokemon that typically don’t have evolutions. There’s definitely gotta be some residual energy somewhere,” her previous studies on primal energy showed traces in blood.

It’s not a simple answer. And, quite frankly, Eva doesn’t expect it to be a simple discovery. These sorts of things weren’t typically straight forward.

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
awards
2,445 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
A Bigger, Blacker Dog
POSTED ON May 12, 2022 22:52:19 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar
"Yup. Real scary." There was a dryness to his voice, as he knew Floofer could take more than that without flinching. But chastising her never went anywhere - she'd just lick his face and nuzzle him like the overly-affectionate puppy she was.

And he already had a faceful of Oran-enhanced slobber.

Hideo nodded along as Eva explained what she sought, but he was honestly a bit lost; things like different types of energies were concepts he didn't really catch on to.

He tried to get a better grasp on it. "So kind of like Mega Evolution energy, right? Only it's in a big area, and the change is permanent for some Pokemon?" Granted, while Floofer was definitely tougher (when she wasn't playing things up for affection), she didn't seem much stronger than before.

Though the word "primal" did ring a bell. A very warm bell. "Only Primal stuff I know about was that one time I helped calm down Groudon. It was going nuts and everything, and it had a big stone that might have been making it go nuts."

"You think that might be connected to all this?" It was a longshot, but maybe Groudon's random outburst wasn't so random after all.