thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 5:38:31 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
They'd taken a raincheck after their discussion in Gavin's office; after all, if someone had been listening in, it would hardly be safe to talk about things that same day. Then they'd both been busy for a little while, and only now had the siblings found the time to reconvene.

His fiancé isn't home (and oh, Arceus, he still hadn't told either of his siblings about the engagement, had he?) and Gavin turns away from the stove to give his sister a curious look.

"You said you had news?" It was the primary reason for her dropping in on him, but he's sure neither of them have forgotten Walsh. "What is it?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
every night i burn, dream the black crow dream
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 5:57:40 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
”smells good.”

she sat nearby at the center island, watching him cook with her chin in her hand. it was a skill she still had not picked up, though to be fair, her efforts had not been great. at most, she would microwave something out of the minifridge on the sub for lunch.

this was so... domestic.

the news.

”i was able to hack league computers. of course, they already know about other dimensions.” and she’d called that one, hadn’t she? “they’ve listed one as ‘sea hoenn’. apparently, they want to warp the meteoroid there because it’s hostile.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 6:04:29 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin had learned how to cook out of desperation in Kanto, after getting sick of cheap packaged foods and takeaway. It helped that cookbooks were a wealth of knowledge for an avid reader like himself.

This, though, was a simple stew comprised of Miltank cutlets and whatever vegetables had been on the brink of going bad, with a loaf of bread baking in the oven to sop up the thick broth.

"'Sea Hoenn?'" Gavin chuckles at the absurd name. After the Megalopolans, it's hard to shock Gavin; he takes the information in stride. "They mention why it was hostile?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 6:47:40 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
it wasn’t exactly anything to laugh at, but her brother’s amusement was contagious. she grinned a little, but it soon faded. as ridiculous as the name was, it held some alarming clues.

”no, that’s all that one said. just: ‘hostile’.”

she shrugged.

”i’d guess it’s very similar to our hoenn, from the name... perhaps underwater?” she paused. ”bet it’s not the only one they know about it. i was only able to pull things related to the meteoroid.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 13:31:25 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
A grimace is suppressed at Lulu's suggestion. Underwater? He can't think of a worse reality. Partnership with Lugia had made him a tad more comfortable in the water, but that didn't mean he'd want it to be a permanent fixture of his life.

But his sister doesn't know that their father tried to drown him, once, so he withholds his weakness out of habit.

"Well, at least there's a potential plan to deal with the meteor." That was a silver lining. "They want to warp it there, you said. Can they? Do they have that technology?"

The oven beeps softly as he turns it off.

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Mar 30, 2022 16:52:46 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
her eyes did linger briefly on his face at the mention of water. she might not have known about the incident, but his fear hadn’t always been so hidden. there had, at least, been that day when genesect had breached the hull. 

”m.” perhaps there was some modicum of comfort to be found in knowing any other entity had a plan in the works to save them all, even if it was a bizarre kill-two-birds-with-one-stone-and-sweep-them-all-under-the-rug sort of situation.

”not yet, but they’re trying with primal energy.” she shook her head. ”i haven’t even shared with you all our findings lately. there’s so much energy in hoenn, cillian... it’s acting like a beacon to other worlds...” but more on that later. she hadn’t exactly consulted with her brother before visiting jules cotillard.

she cleared her throat and played with a cuticle, gaze drifting towards the window. the horizon.

”if this ‘sea hoenn’ is hostile, that likely means it’s inhabited. even i’m not sure we should be just... forwarding our apocalypse to someone else. especially with the spacetime distortions opening up, and all of their strange phenomena. what if sea hoenn is tied to our own in some way?” like, an alternate universe? those theories were more and more prominent lately.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 2, 2022 0:23:08 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Primal energy. Different than the infinity energy that Rocket's been meddling with, but would it be effective in halting the meteor's path? He's not one to hope for the League's success, but for this? He'd root for them.

"I'm not surprised." His tone is dry. "Seems we can't go a few weeks without something else trying to end the world, or whatever. No wonder that Hoenn's at the center of it all. Could almost wish I were back in Kanto."

But in spite of that black humour, he doesn't wish that at all. We'll never go back to that.

"Is that common? For the other dimensions to be tied to ours?" A hint of worry has crept into his tone, his knuckles white against the countertop. He's thinking of another world's Mt. Pyre, of his doppelganger's fall. "I mean, do you think what happens in one can influence another?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 3, 2022 9:36:36 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
back in kanto? she vaguely recalled days on the edges of battlefields, herself—far before rocket. the noise, the adrenaline, the danger. war. only, theirs had stretched on for longer than three days. it was really saying something that the memory of it seemed safer than whatever they had to face now.

”hm.” a light hum, as though she’d tasted a flavor she wasn’t sure about.

was it common for the dimensions to be tied together?

”well... in theory, when it comes to the origin of parallel universes, one event could extend outward like a ripple through spacetime in all directions, splitting off and multiplying at each possible outcome.” she hadn’t thought about things like this so much since she’d sworn off hallucinogens. echoing in surely some bitter stroke of irony, she asked, ”you’re familiar with schrödinger’s delcatty?”

of course he was.

”what if it comes back to haunt us like a boomerang? if this is how things are, there must be repercussions to creating rifts in such a fabric. in our world, other worlds are a new discovery. this is the first one, presumably, we’ll have tried to end. past this, are all possible outcomes of both that discovery, and that damning decision. a shot fired across the multiverse.”

in other words: the beginning of utter chaos. the beginning of the end.
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 5, 2022 23:36:36 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin blinks away his surprise. Quantum mechanics? All right...

"I am," he affirms, wary.

Whatever he expects, it's not for his sister to threaten his psyche with the ripple effect on steroids. She didn't know about his encounter with Father Winter, of course, couldn't possibly know that when he closed his eyes against the theory, his head was filled with visions of his alternate self. The cold, dead eyes, the missing hand, the fall.

What if he'd sealed his own fate on Mt. Pyre?

No, he thinks, that's ridiculous. That wasn't me.

It wasn't his Temp who'd cried out in anguish, wasn't his Sootopolis he'd returned to. It was another world. Irrelevant.

He opens his eyes.

"If we try to apply every decision to the multiverse, we'll lose our minds." He could already feel his paranoia creeping in like winter's chill. "What we know for certain is that if the meteor impacts our world, we'll all die. Isn't it better to take a chance on the unknown, in that case?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 11, 2022 3:39:48 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
though tact was something she had shown to be able to use occasionally, it wasn’t something she just carried around with her wherever—especially not in the home of her own blood. her older brother would just have to live with the paranoia she had dragged in.

better to take a chance on the unknown? or the unown? she squinted at him briefly.

”look: i’m not suggesting we base every decision on a theory. i’m just saying, maybe destroying another world might come back to bite us in the ass, somehow, all things considered.”

with a sigh, she leaned onto both elbows, lacing fingers on the cool countertop. things were getting serious. there was a moment of silence. hesitation. when she started, it came out almost too quickly.

”i saw dialga. i thought it was a dream, but it all makes sense. palkia must be here too. the aliens are with them somehow, cillian.”

she paused. one last, brief moment to consider if she really wanted to go this road.

yeah.

”i think walsh is one of them.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 12, 2022 8:48:48 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Though he notes the way her eyes narrow, he doesn't know why. Nor does he question her on it; if she was doubtful, suspicious, or something else, she'd either tell him or she wouldn't. Acknowledging the elephant wouldn't make it any smaller.

"Fair enough," he admits. "Just better them than us, if there's no other way."

Of course, now she's got him hoping there is one. Schrodinger's Hoenn.

He seems caught off guard when she mentions Dialga.

"So did I," he says, after a beat. "See Dialga, I mean. And a whole lot of other weird shit that happened to Hoenn in the past. Felt like I was being yanked through time, or something, and I'd just gone out for a smoke."

Palkia? He thinks of the roar that had split Sootopolis. Could it be...?

He's about to ask, why do you think the aliens are with them?, before Lulu drags an entirely different elephant into the room and throws it in his lap. Walsh.

He doesn't react as he once might have, with fear and conditioned loyalty. He only sits, and processes, and pours himself a drink. He'd offer the bottle to her, once he's done, and drain half of his glass before he's thought it over enough to reply.

He thinks of shifting shadows, of the Rocket boss wearing his face. He may not be Declan Walsh at all.

He feels cold, skin prickling.

"Why do you think he's one of them?"

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 6:01:47 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
he’d seen dialga. the look that happened in her eyes was like something snapping together. solidifying. puzzle pieces, for wrong or for right. ”the same thing happened to me.” but more on that later.

he offered her the bottle, and she tilted it up without a glass without a second thought. she had sworn off drinking around him, at least for a while, after last time. feelings. crying. familial i love you’s. she did her best to block it out.

but this called for a drink. she set the bottle down, staring at him a moment before elaborating.

”his powers are different than mine, for one. what he was doing with the shadows in the tree? i can’t do that. what else can he do?”

”walsh’s whole mission has been harvesting as much energy as he can. which is profitable, sure, but that’s why the megalopolans were here. energy. and others can see it. we’re a fucking beacon to all the worlds around us and beyond.” she grabbed the bottle, taking another swig. the next part even she knew sounded crazy. ”i think walsh is an alien imposter. if you knew him in kanto, this is not the same guy. he’s been abducted. also, this one wants to kill me—probably because i’m onto him.”

she held the bottle, staring.

”i’ve seen you shoot me in the head in your nightmares, cillian. if i should disappear, now would be the time to tell me, but let me remind you i am building a spacecraft to try and save your life.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 7:07:28 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
What else can he do?

Gavin looks scared. More so than his sister would ever have seen — white in the wideness of his eyes. Our little secret echoes in his head, but as Lulu puts forth her theory, his trepidation only grows.

"They're nightmares for a reason." Soft, almost sad. "That's the last thing I want."

Did Walsh really want her dead?

What else can he do?

Gavin's own thoughts circle back. What if it's not really Walsh at all?

Lulu agrees, so...

"Saoirse," not Lulu, because he was talking to his baby sister, not to Rocket's head scientist, "swear to me that what I'm about to tell you never leaves this room. You can't tell anyone. No matter how much you think you can trust them. Promise me."

close tab

played by

mad

saoirse quinn
she/her
twenty-eight
october 27th
circhester, galar
bisexual
physicist / inventor
executive
the shadows breathe
whispering me away
5’8” height
5’8” height
awards
4,413 posts
Lulu Flint DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @lulu
Lulu Flint
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 7:14:23 GMT
Lulu Flint Avatar
so there was more?

she nodded, not even mentioning that he’d used the wrong name. he looked terrified—more so than she’d ever seen before. it was unsettling.

”okay, yeah. i promise.”
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,897 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
fault line [c]
POSTED ON Apr 15, 2022 7:26:59 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Gavin's heart is in his throat. He shouldn't be telling her.

Our little secret. But how many other secrets were being kept?

"He can change his face." Whispered, with a nervous glance to the shadow cast by the kitchen island as if their boss might appear to smite him where he stood. He looks back to his sister, licks his dry lips. "I've seen him do it. He showed me."

For all of Hoenn's heat, the kitchen feels cold.

"I didn't know him in Kanto," Gavin confesses. "I was beneath his notice, then. He's been nothing but good to me since he took over the Hoenn branch. He's the reason I have Lugia's blessing." A pause, then, with conviction, "But if he wants you dead? Then he's going to have to go through me. Rocket's not taking you away from me again."

Again. A subtle, but firm, acknowledgement of their past.