She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Freelancer/Ex-Ace Child Detective
Civilian
--- height
--- height
Let's Keep things a bit clandestine, shall we?
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
By Splitting And Rising Fires [M]
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 3:05:39 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar

It had long been time since the sun had descended beneath the horizon. The sky overhead hand become encroached by a curtain of black, snuffing out any of the orange that could have possibly come from the horizon. The hotter, brighter half of the day had come to an end without incident. The self-proclaimed queen of the dunk tank was certain of that.

And yet...

"So noisy..."

Walking on the road in a pair of sandals, a pair of short denim shorts, and a pink swimsuit top with a pair of pink sunglasses resting on her forehead, Elaine looked off to the beach she was next to as she saw that festivities had hardly come to an end. For a place that was in danger due to a mysterious dome and an incoming meteorite, people sure were carefree.

Then again, she was probably not the best person to say that given her stint as the self-proclaimed queen of the dunk tank.

With bonfires and Pokemon across the landscape of the sandy ground and with splitting stars so bright that even the true stars receded to not be outshines, Elaine found herself sighing as she took step after step.

Taking a short stop, she raised the soda can in her hand and pulled at the tab. After a quick hiss from the inside of the can, she took a moment to sip out the sweet, citrusy, and acerbic liquid.

Despite the energy she displayed during the day, nothing really felt right that night. Her hand clenched on the rim of the can as she watched couples, friends, acquaintances living their lives under the canopy of the night sky.

With a sigh, she finally verbalized it. That sinking, heavy feeling in her heart. "So lonely..."

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 27, 2022 6:27:47 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
There was not a cloud in the sky that night; the clear, black sky was illuminated by only a myriad of stars. The only light illuminating the beach after the sun set was from a few bonfires still going, and the light of a select few Pokémon trainers had out. Kiara was one of them. Shalin gently scratched behind the female Pyroar's ear as she wandered the beach with her trainer atop her. It was a windless night, too.

While it was too late at night to have a snack (she won't be able to sleep well if she did!), it wasn't too late to drink a sweet beverage. She grabbed a couple small cans of lemonade at a concession stand that was about to close before directing the lioness around the many bonfires near the festival grounds. She faced a lone girl that looked like she was staring out to the colorless sea, and couldn't help but let out a concerning purr. "You're right, Kiara," she agreed with the lioness, and directed her toward the young woman.

If the stranger's position was at the fire's six o'clock, Kiara walked up to its three o'clock and let Shalin down. She sat down next to her and cracked open her first can of lemonade, a hiss sounding when she undid the seal. The fire-type walked next to Shalin and sat down, her glowing mane nearly still in the night. With Shalin hesitant to greet the distressed-looking female, the Pyroar wearing full riding gear let out a fairly loud purr to try to get her attention.

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Kiara         Pyroar-F       Good
Treble        Hakamo-o       Good
Prance        Wyrdeer        Good

{WC: 265}
{PC: 1}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Jul 28, 2022 23:53:33 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
Suffice to say the first thing she expected was not the entrance of a newcomer to her self-made waterfall of loneliness. A single hiss from an opening can broke through the Elaine's reverie, forcing her to look to her side and see the source of the sound--a young woman, probably no more than a couple of years younger than her atop a Pyroar.

Startled though she was, she only found her eyes widening for a brief moment. Her leg took neither a step back nor did her muscles stiffen. She simply cocked her head for a moment before looking down to the eagerly purring lioness before her and then the young woman who had come with her.

Well, the Pokemon's a bit more outgoing than her trainer, huh?

But that was fine, too. With a gentle, albeit solemn smile, she reached her free hand down towards its head to pet her on the head.

"Looks like somebody wants a bit of attention, doesn't she?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 2:04:10 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Kiara smiled and let out a more gentle, almost housecat-like purr in response to the gentle pat on the head. Her fur, though much shorter than the male's, was just as comfortably warm to the touch. "Not unusual for her at all; Kiara never grew out of wanting to be pampered. I thought she would after she evolved, but some things never change." Now that she didn't have Kiara's red mane waving about her body, Shalin noticed from how motionless it was just how still the evening was. "How are you doing tonight? Name's Shalin, wildest Pokémon rider this side of Hoenn! And this is Kiara," she gestured toward the fire-type.

As she stared toward the nearly lightless sea and sky, she began to reflect on the news and why the festival was going on. She had a troubled look on her face but tried to stay positive as she took a few sips of her drink. "Wouldn't exactly call this muggy, but it sure is a warm one tonight! Been enjoying the festival so far?" She was definitely not her cheerful self, her eyes shifting between the lonely-looking girl and the moonless sky. It was obvious why the festival was being put on. While it was a great distraction, it didn't truly rest her fears. Fears she could do nothing about.

{WC: 223}
{PC: 2}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 22:14:36 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"That's how some partners are. Vying for affection seems to be a natural thing when they've been with you for a while." Despite any initial resistance to the idea, Elaine continued to let her hand run through the young lioness's fur as she talked with the girl who was clearly its trainer. "But sometimes, things never changing like that is for the better."

Her mind drifted to how Ginga used to be as a Metang and her trusted partner during case after case. Those fond memories seemed enough to let her maintain that smile of hers for just a few moments longer.

At least, it did before the young woman introduced herself. Shalin, a prideful Pokemon rider. Well, that definitely explained the gear the Pokemon was wearing. A simple enough mystery solved in an instant without even needing Elaine's input.

Of course, at that point, it would be remiss of her not to reciprocate the gesture. "Elaine, detective." Having at least done that much, she withdrew her hand from awarding the lioness with affection before offering it to the young woman. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Having introduced herself and pushed her loneliness back ever so slightly, she continued to entertain questions from Shalin. "I've been enjoying the festival the best you can when you're worrying about a looming threat from above. Feels like an indulgent last supper before disaster, all things considered."

Making sure to not let her dunk tank obsession slip, Elaine shrugged as she stole a quick glance at the sky above. "And you?"
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Jul 30, 2022 7:22:46 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
There was a reason Pyroar furs were so expensive on the black market; they were luxurious to the touch, and the Pokémon were often difficult to raise due to the predatory nature. The well-behaved Kiara didn't seem to mind. "I don't like it when she kisses me anymore; as a Litleo I loved it, but like this, she gets my whole face wet!" This was the precise reason Kiara didn't cover Elaine in cat slobber; she assumed because Shalin didn't like it, no one did.

"A detective, huh?" Shalin replied. "I guess you could call me a nature detective. I'm an expeditionary that goes to the most remote corners of Hoenn!" She briefly shared a tale of how she discovered a tribe of bird Pokémon riders, from an era predating Poké Balls. "It's unbelievable how long Hoenn's been around, yet these secrets go undiscovered everywhere!"

The cheerful girl's expression, and that of Kiara's turned much more somber with the mention of impending disaster. "...Yeah..." she trailed off, stuttering for a second or two before coming up with the words she wanted to say. "I wish there was something I could do about it, too. But my skills aren't helpful on the front lines like that. When I think about it, sometimes I wish my childhood dream had come true, so I could help."

She recounted said childhood dream of adventuring across the world with Keldeo, the two of them training each other until they could unlock each others' true strengths. "But there is not a single world in which that will happen. Especially not here and now. We just have to trust that those fortunate enough to be able to do something about it before it's too late." She became so lost in thought that she completely missed Elinor's question about how much she was enjoying the festival.

{WC: 310}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 2:34:52 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
So, while Shalin had introduced herself as a Pokemon rider, she ended up revealing a lot more about what she did. An expeditionary or archaeologist. "I can only imagine."

Images of various potential sights flashed through her mind. At the end of it all was that weird space she had seen recently when she had worked with the rangers. "The sights honestly sound grand. Compared to the stuff I've seen, it sounds nicer. Being able to touch the pulse of the past. Far better than the trails of blood I've seen."

It was moments like this where Elaine had to wonder if she would have lived a happier life if she had directed her gaze towards the mysteries of the distant past instead of the bloody mysteries of the present. The more she burdened herself with those thoughts, the more her smile seemed to fade away.

And yet...she couldn't just look away. She shook her head for a moment, gazed at the fire before her. Her resolve was not one that could allow itself to shake from just considering an alternative past. Otherwise, she would never be able to reach that end she so desired.

"Yes, it does sound far more wondrous than the mundanity of unearthing the culprit of a political killing." She had muttered, hoping that Shalin had would not hear a single word of it.

And rather than trying to let things steer in that direction, she let herself push towards the opening Shalin had left behind. A childhood dream, huh?"

A single teasing smile continued to press forward. "What kind of dream was that?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2022 7:10:18 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin couldn't help but giggle when the best words she could find for reacting to Elaine's career path were her own. "Elaine, I can also only imagine. Investigating crime has to be grim. Especially serious crime. And I can't imagine it being that much less dangerous than what I do. I'm sure some of the people you're investigating would want your head if they knew." She rummaged through her bag and pulled out a treat for Kiara, oblivious to Elaine's muttering while she was busy pampering her Pyroar.

A short fireworks show caught Shalin's attention after the sun had completely fallen below the horizon. She oohed and ahhed at several of the beautiful patterns in the sky, many of them shaped like Pokémon. "Wow!" she let out a cry as one of them was in the likeness of a jumping Milotic. Though the sky was only lit up for about fifteen minutes, she couldn't help but applaud with many others relaxing on the beach.

"One of my favorite stories as a child was about the three Sacred Swords: Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion,"
she began sharing the story of her favorite legendary Pokémon, and the only ones she really cared to study. "It's pretty well-known that they were betrayed by the first humans to use ancient Poké Ball technology. To defend themselves from being captured against their will, they cut those humans down with their Sacred Swords. But what's not well-known is they had an apprentice called Keldeo."

Shalin went on to describe the legend further. "You see, Keldeo didn't understand why his mentors were telling him all humans were evil. He was looking for a human that would fight alongside him, not against him, and prove to his mentors that not all humans were bad. When I was young, I dreamed I could be one of those people. With the riding skill I have now...I could handle him, and we could fight against those bad people as one." She paused and laughed at how silly she sounded. "There's no way that's ever happening, though. Not in my line of work. I'm sure he'll find someone who can help him, though!"

{WC: 363}
{PC: 4}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Aug 3, 2022 4:11:28 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"No, it's definitely far from not dangerous. I can't even count the number of times I was in somebody else's crosshairs because I stepped into something they didn't want exposed. Sometimes, it didn't leave too many consequences. But sometimes..." Her eyes widened for just a moment as an image of a certain blood and flesh-covered warehouse sprung to mind. Elaine found herself blinking for a short moment before quickly shaking her head and forcing her brain to focus back on the sand and fires around her. "But sometimes closure isn't as kind as you may want. There's no wonder at the end of a criminal mystery. Just the bitter feelings left behind by those around it. Nothing anywhere near the romance of expedition and discovery."

Elaine could not find herself understanding why she was saying the things she was. After all, Shalin had come talking about happier and more interesting things than she was. Whatever stories she had about murders, assassinations, and political intrigue had far less in line with the festive mood of the night or the stories Shalin was telling.

Best to just stop bringing them up. Listening to the wonder of another was a better medicine than bringing her baggage out, after all.

"Who says that'll never happen for you though?" Elaine brought her knees inward as she rested her head atop them as she wrapped her arms around them and looked to Shalin. "If earnest hard work makes you worthy, then what makes you unworthy? A childhood dream like that is nothing to scoff at. Really, it's better and probably more attainable than some adult's ideals. Hell, the fact that you still hold on to it still means you have some faith in it, after all. Defeatism hasn't won out just yet for you."

[/font][/blockquote]
close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 5, 2022 4:07:20 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
While Shalin didn't see the appeal of unraveling what mostly were political cover-ups, she did appreciate what people like Elaine did to keep unscrupulous individuals from abusing positions of power. "...Someone has to do it to help make Hoenn a safer place, though...right?" she replied, speaking much more quietly than before. It was almost like talking to a different person, what with as loud as she normally was.

Shalin's jaw started to drop as Elaine's words of confidence reached her ears. "You may be right. With the meteor looming, I wouldn't be surprised if he, and other wondrous Pokémon like him, start looking for people to help them handle it. I just feel...uncertain I would be able to bear such a burden myself." She let out a deep sigh. If Keldeo were to seek her out and choose her, it would take her farther away from her line of work, and she would inevitably find herself in danger beyond what the wildest, most treacherous dungeon of her dreams. Fighting on Hoenn's front lines would put her life in serious jeopardy every single day: the true burden of partnership with one of Arceus' most sacred creations.

Even in the middle of the night, Shalin was sweating a little from the heat and humidity. "Is it typically this warm at night in Hoenn this time of year?" she asked Elaine. "I'm burning up out here and am thinking of going back to my room soon. Johtonian winters are cold, yes, but I can handle that better than the heat you get here!"

{WC: 263}
{PC: 5}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2022 5:39:00 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
Though Shalin was trying to speak quietly, Elaine could hear every word she had to say. Though her demeanor had changed, even if for a short moment, the words were still colored with the same hue as her prior bombastic speech. With her head still rested on her legs, she spoke as well. "Yeah, it's definitely still a necessity. Though, it would be nice to see a day when people like me become obsolete."

Wherever the detective went, there was always crime to be solved, justice to be doled out. Though one could question whether it was simply a curse or whether it was merely the detective's propensity to always sniff out blood, in the end, that was a stark reality.

"Yes, that would be nice."

A world where people like her would become obsolete. Where people merely would not transgress upon others. A simple and almost childish dream--yet one that she would never stop chasing. No matter the extremes.

For someone like her who was chasing a childish and seemingly impossible dream, it would be remiss of her to dash the childish dream of the girl next to her. After all, Shalin's was far simpler, and far more likely attainable.

"Why be so uncertain? There's no need to be. In the end, you're only chasing that dream because you know you can make yourself worthy of attaining it. Simply by the existence of your dream, this level of reasoning is possible for this Ace Detective. What do you think?"

The young detective kept her gentle smile. Even as she heard Shalin's complaints about the heat, she could only chuckle. "Yeah, it's a summer in Hoenn. I'm a bit of the same, though. Sinnohan summers rarely come to close to as sweltering as it gets here in Hoenn."

Taking another drink from the soda can made her realize that the drink she had held had gone warm. It was a shame it happened so quickly.

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2022 0:48:42 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
The more Shalin listened to Elaine, the more she was able to take a step back and think. What was the purpose of a childhood dream if it wasn't attainable? This one would certainly be a stretch; it was already a thousand-to-one to even see a legendary Pokémon, let alone interact with or even Arceus forbid befriend one. Her personality did match many of Keldeo's traits according to the legend, but how many wild children just like her were there in Hoenn? "As amazing as it would be, it's just scary to think about it. I've read stories of legendary Pokémon bonding with humans before. Whether they're true or not, I don't know. But it just feels like befriending one puts you in the line of duty without the option to back down if you get in over your head."

Shalin wiped her forehead clean of sweat. "Johtonian weather is pretty wild. We get a little of everything; we get warm days like this in the summer, and snow in the winter. We've had spring-like weather and snow in the same week before." The mention of the cold prompted her to pull out a medallion from her backpack, a cyan one with the likeness of Articuno's face on its front side. It was the one she had retrieved from the bottom of the Crystal Trench, and was part of a set of eight. "So much has happened in my short stay here...and yet..." Kiara gently nuzzled Shalin as she trailed off, also trying to get a look at the medallion.

{WC: 263}
{PC: 6}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Aug 10, 2022 3:03:20 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar
"I'm sure you'll be fine. If your dream leads to being in the line of duty, that's because it's what you wanted. Follow your own Will and you'll find the right end. That's really all that matters in the end with dreams."

That was all it had to be. Yet, as simple as that premise was, the journey to find one's own Will was a long and arduous one filled with misconception and false self-awareness. Even as Elaine stood determined in her own path, who was to say that her own answers wouldn't change later?

The world would hardly remain at a constant in the end and she, like all people, mimicked that ever prevalent turbulence.

Elaine picked herself off the ground she was sitting on and lightly tapped off the sand that had accumulated on her back before reaching a hand out in offer to Shalin.

"Yet so much more can happen," she said in response to Shalin's last utterance. "Like Johto's weather, the world is a turbulent and ever moving place. That's why you'll be the same. At the very least, for your dreams, you owe it to yourself to keep on moving, don't you think?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

She/Her
March 18
Ecruteak City
Straight
Expeditionary
Rustboro Captain
Single; Not Looking
5'4" height
5'4" height
awards
3,448 posts
part of
TAG WITH @shalinnariya
Shalin Nariya
POSTED ON Aug 12, 2022 20:45:18 GMT
Shalin Nariya Avatar
Shalin seemed to have struck a chord with Elaine, and a good one at that. If the two meeting was what fate had in the cards for her, there was little she could do about it. "You're right," the girl answered, Kiara smiling immediately after her trainer's statement. "I'll keep on going what I feel is my way forward. I've already accepted that in my trade, I'm going to follow danger or danger's going to follow me. What's the line of duty but another layer of that?"

While her nerves about being dragged into the region's conflict were still real, hearing the older woman's confidence went a long way in quelling that fear. She subconsciously tilted the cyan medallion to where Elaine could see it if she wanted to. What happened when she gathered all eight was both her greatest curiosity and her greatest fear...but it was something she had to push past if she wanted to unravel the true tale of Hoenn as it existed millennia ago. "Thank you. That means a lot."

{WC: 175}
{PC: 7}
close tab

played by

kohaku

She/Her
Twenty-Five
Jubilife City, Sinnoh
*shrugs*
Civilian
--- height
--- height
awards
413 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elaine
Elaine Highland
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2022 5:04:35 GMT
Elaine Highland Avatar

"Yeah. You just have to keep moving forward." Elaine looked off into the horizon for a moment as she let out a wistful gaze. "The paths are all laid out before you so that's all that's left."

It was strange. Elaine could honestly feel like she had felt a weight fall off her chest. It was hardly as if some muse had intervened in her thoughts and changed it for the better. The world had not gotten better after that conversation.

Yet, she had felt lighter. Yes, sometimes it was truly better to share one's burden with another even if for a moment. Even if it was simply a conversation with a stranger by splitting and rising fires.

But all things had to come to an end.

"Maybe the next time we meet, we'll each be a bit closer to our dreams." Reaching into the pocket of her shorts, she pulled out a simple card with the words "Highland Investigations" emblazoned in big letters along with her name and a phone number. "Until then, take this. You never know when you might need a detective."