Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
Cause Everyone's Crazy 'Bout A Sharpe Dressed Man [S]
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2022 2:46:17 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullhover"]

[attr="class","skullimg"]

[attr="class","skulltitle"]導通抵抗
[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Ironically, was right on every account. Isaac was working for a shady organization. He did have ulterior motives behind his Porygon hunting, ones that had nothing to do with Azeroth or Eorzea. And he did have a vested interest in getting away from Caleb as quickly as possible. But it wasn't for the reasons Caleb had expected.[break][break]

After all, if he was anywhere near Caleb, the Ranger would've been in for a world of trouble.[break][break]

Isaac didn't know for sure whether Caleb was Zev's brother or not. It wasn't the most uncommon name out there, and it wasn't like the Harcourts had a monopoly on piercing stares. However, the subtle details of their demeanor, in everything from facial expression to tone of voice, were just too uncanny for Isaac to ignore.[break][break]

Just one problem with this joyous reunion. One was a Ranger. One was one of Rocket's premier assassins. By now, Isaac had been in enough run-ins to know that those two things were like oil and water. If Isaac told Zev everything about his brother (if he even was Zev's brother), he could be putting the man's life in serious danger. On the other hand, Zev was his brother. He at least had the right to know he existed, right? That Team Rocket had him under the barrel of a gun? That maybe, just maybe, he would need to either kill his own brother or betray orders to save his life?[break][break]

All the while, his phone felt like a lead weight settled into the palm of his hand. The missed call symbol blared on the screen, an irritable red color that occasionally flashed for emphasis. He'd already pulled Zev's contact information up, but his finger hovered over the call button as if it was a dead man's switch. Whatever he ended up saying, there was no coming back from this.[break][break]

Isaac took a deep breath, his last gasp for air before this conversation started. And then he hit call.

[break][break]

[break]
[attr="class","skullinfo"]MOBILE POST /

[attr="class","skullcredits"]TAIKO!

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2022 11:06:03 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]
[attr="class","zevposttext"]

Zev had been cooking when the first text came from Isaac. The single word and a dozen punctuation symbols made no sense in any context; Zev had never told Isaac about his brother, and as far as Zev was aware, Isaac didn't have siblings. So naturally, the assassin had sent back a response asking for clarification.[break][break]

The name "Caleb Harcourt" was the last thing Zev ever expected Isaac to text back.[break][break]

Cooking became unimportant. Zev had never dialed out to someone so quickly before. His heartrate was erratic, spiking with the sudden burst of adrenaline. His apartment was suddenly too small to contain him. Zev found himself pacing the entire living space, back and forth between the kitchen and the couch.[break][break]

And infuriatingly, Isaac had hung up on the call without even answering.[break][break]

Rage almost swept away all of Zev's excitement, but the rapid texts from Isaac held it in check. He wasn't alone. Was he with Caleb? The very concept stunned Zev. But fast behind the heels of that shock was delight. Zev had intended to use Isaac to find Caleb, which necessarily meant turning Isaac into an efficient and effective tool that could meet Zev's exacting standards. And it had happened, just like that.[break][break]

So Zev curbed his initial anger and finished cooking dinner while he waited. When his phone finally rang with Isaac's name appearing on the screen, Zev answered calmly.[break][break]

"Isaac. Where are you?"

[break]

[attr="class","zevpostooc"]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.zevpost]--accent:#975fb2;[/newclass]
[newclass=.zevpost]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
Turned on my friends and brought them pain. I have no right to show I can change. But I gotta try!
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2022 22:49:37 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skulloverlap"]BUT HOLD YOUR BREATH, GUESS WHO'S RUNNING THE SHOW?

[attr="class","skullbody"]Zev's voice was calm. But unless he was big mad, Zev's voice was always calm. No, there were other clues as to the fact that this was a Very Important conversation. The rapid texts. The immediate demands for a call. The fact that his reaction went from confusion to assertiveness with just a single name.[break][break]

And now, the sheer speed at which he answered the line.[break][break]

"Slateport. Lower District," Isaac said, looking around to make sure he hadn't been tailed. By now, he knew that pleasantries weren't necessary when talking to Zev.[break][break]

Okay. Good. There was nobody around them. Just in case, Isaac tucked himself into a nearby alley. He released his Corvisquire behind him, the bird keeping its Keen Eyes out for any other interlopers. "We're alone," he assured Zev. "Who's Caleb Harcourt? And did you know he was on the list?"[break][break]

He didn't need to specify which list. Not to one of the guys tasked with keeping it clean.

[break][break]

[break]

[newclass=.skullhover]width:420px;-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%);filter: grayscale(100%);-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;-webkit-transition-delay:0.1s;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullhover:hover]-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%);filter: grayscale(0%)-webkit-transition:all 1s ease;transition:all 1s ease;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullimg]width:380px;height:200px;background-image:url(https://i.imgur.com/HOVZp0J.png); background-repeat:no-repeat;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulltitle]font-family:verdana;font-weight:700;font-size:50px;position:relative;text-align:center;color:#D9B800;margin-top:-36px;margin-bottom:0px;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skulloverlap]letter-spacing:1px;font-family:oswald;font-weight:200;font-size:12px;position:relative;text-align:center;margin-top:-0;margin-bottom:-5px;color:#e8e8e8;text-shadow: -1px 0 black, 0 1px black, 1px 0 black, 0 -1px black;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullbody]div-align:center;text-align:justify;width:380px;line-height:15px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-size:12px;font-family:roboto;color:#d6d6d6;[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullinfo]width:380px;font-family:oswald;font-size:12px;font-weight:200;color:#767676;text-align:right[/newclass]
[newclass=.skullcredits]width:380px;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;text-align:center;[/newclass]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 0:18:28 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Alone? Damn. A part of Zev wanted Isaac to tail Caleb and find out more information, but another part of him conceded it would be too much of a risk. Isaac was useless if he was dead. They needed to plan.[break][break]

"Come to my apartment. I'll explain in person," Zev decided. In a world where a person's Pokémon could be their eyes and ears without being noticed, his home was the safest place to discuss such a sensitive topic.[break][break]

Without waiting for Isaac's response, Zev hung up the call. He had set out a plate and flatware for himself, but considering he would soon have a guest, he arranged a second set so that they could sit facing each other at his small dining table. And though he had not planned to drink that night, he found himself pouring a glass of whisky on the rocks. Then he poured one for Isaac, too.

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
[newclass=.zevpost]font:12px Roboto;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext b"]color:var(--accent);font-size:14px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext a"]font:12px Roboto;font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevposttext u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc h1"]font:18px Montserrat;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:.5px[/newclass]
[newclass=".zevpost .zevpostooc u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 0:39:18 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Zev hung up before Isaac could get another word in edgewise. Yeah. That was about how these usually went.[break][break]

Still, it sounded pretty urgent. The sooner Isaac could get there, the better. "Alright, Echo," Isaac said, releasing a Ralts from his Pokeball. "This one's pretty urgent, so let's warp over to Zev's place." He took the Ralts' hand, envisioning Zev's home. His strangely normal apartment complex. His weirdly stacked out kitchen.[break][break]

His gun shooting him clean through the head for popping into his house out of nowhere, because he could be a home invader.[break][break]

Okay! Never mind! Teleporting into Zev of all people was a godawful idea! "Okay. New idea. Let's warp over next to his place instead, and then knock on the door. So he knows we're coming. Better plan?" Echo, who had gotten a good whiff of Isaac's intrusive thought and very much liked being shot, started nodding excitedly.[break][break]

They teleported to the street corner by Zev's apartment, then headed over to the door. A quick knock was all the signal Zev would need, but just in case Isaac added an "Alright, I'm here."[break][break]

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 0:51:45 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

The door opened before Isaac finished announcing himself. Zev stood in the doorway, the calmness in his expression betrayed only by the sharpness in his eyes as he confirmed his visitor was, indeed, Isaac. Then he stepped aside. "Come in."[break][break]

The dining table was set for dinner: steamed Magikarp cooked with ginger and scallions, seasoned with sugar, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper flakes. A side of blanched greens carrying the aromatic scent of garlic and sesame oil accompanied it, along with freshly steamed white rice.[break][break]

Zev sat down on one side of the table and started serving himself. "Sit. Eat. Tell me what happened."

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 1:46:45 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Sheesh. He teleported! Was Zev just waiting at the door? The guy was clearly on some kind of edge; whether a good edge or bad edge, soon Isaac would know.[break][break]

Nevertheless, the surprise on Isaac's face was gone in a half second. Isaac nodded, both to acknowledge Zev's command and to shake the shock awake. A soft smile took its place. "Thank you," he said, before heading into the increasingly familiar apartment.[break][break]

And if Zev was going to cook like this every time he visited, Isaac had no qualms with being a recurring guest. The fish smelled incredible, and it took all of Isaac's willpower to not fling himself onto that dinner table like a Heracross in a maple syrup factory. Instead, he waited for Zev to give the go-ahead before dishing up, taking his place at the other side of the table.[break][break]

"So. You know all those data leaks lately? The ones caused by that Porygon that got loose?" Isaac said. "I was on cleanup duty, and before all the files were fried, I got a peek of one of them. It was a Rocket hit list. Didn't dig too much, because that stuff's way above my pay grade. But I saw Harcourt on there, and I couldn't just turn away, you know?"[break][break]

"There it was. Right there in black and white. Caleb Harcourt."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 12:10:07 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Caleb Harcourt.[break][break]

Zev stilled, his hand poised in the air to bring a forkful of fish to his mouth. Somehow, the reality that his search had come to such an abrupt end was still difficult to grasp. He had lived and worked in Hoenn for three years, during which the chance of Caleb being alive and recoverable became slimmer and slimmer. Zev had decided a long time ago that he would not believe Caleb was dead until he recovered a corpse.[break][break]

The assassin took a deep, steadying breath. He was getting ahead of himself. Isaac had never actually confirmed Caleb was alive, only that he'd seen Caleb's name on a list. It was entirely possible Zev's search would continue, yet he couldn't help grasp at the faint glimmer of hope like a lifeline.[break][break]

"Caleb is my younger brother," Zev said at last. He paused, contemplating how much of the truth he should tell Isaac. It felt so much more natural to lie, or at least to withhold information. "We worked for Team Rocket together back in Kanto. He's the reason I'm here in the first place."[break][break]

Small steps. Zev put down his fork and took a sip of whisky instead.[break][break]

"The hit list you saw was old. He's no longer on it," he added as an afterthought. He anticipated more questions, though. Isaac always had more questions.

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 15:17:47 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]For the third time in his life, Isaac had seen Zev's composure compromised.[break][break]

The first time was born of anger. That was just business as usual, as far as he was concerned. It was The emotion; the most simple, base thing anyone could feel. Something happened that you didn't like, and you lashed out at the world and everyone around you. Babies learned it as soon as they were out of the womb. The great and powerful clung to it long after they shed every other shred of their humanity. If there was anything that could shake the unshakeable and make the unfeeling feel, it was rage.[break][break]

The second time was born of necessity. This was the primordial Zev; raw, unformed, before he put on the facade so charming and composed you'd forget what lurked underneath. For Isaac to see this side of Zev was a sign of great faith; either he trusted Isaac not to mishandle him while he took shaky baby steps through a new task, or he believed Isaac was incapable of even being a threat. And sure enough, Zev's faith was rewarded; together, they primed him for the gym challenge, just as Zev had primed Isaac for so, so many things.[break][break]

Yet faith was not care. This third loss of composure was proof of that, as for the first time in Isaac's life he saw Zev genuinely care for another. His movements stilled. His words were laden with careful pauses. His breaths fought for meaning. Behind his eyes, Isaac could see a thousand thoughts moving per second. This was what happened when Zev truly cared. It consumed him, to the degree where even keeping up his facade kept slow, cautious steps.[break][break]

A part of Isaac knew nobody else in the world could make Zev feel that way. Not even himself, no matter how many ways he served as his loyal protege. In some ways, that knowledge hurt. And yet, as an older brother himself, he got it. No matter how much he resented Elliot for circumstances outside of their control, he would've still moved mountains for his little brother.[break][break]

It was why he had to run away in the first place.[break][break]

"Why was he on the list?" Isaac asked, trying to piece together all of the knowledge he had been given. Of course, he knew the reason why. He was a Rocket, and then he wasn't. In Rocket, that was tantamount to the death penalty. But what would Zev say? "And how did he make it off?"

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 16:32:20 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

"The League kidnapped him three years ago."[break][break]

The explanation flowed off Zev's tongue so easily because it was the truth as he knew it. There was no other explanation for Caleb's sudden disappearance. Caleb had always been loyal to Zev. Had always been obedient. Zev knew Gavin harbored certain concerns of betrayal and treachery, but such a circumstance would never happen to the Harcourts. The elder had taken care to form that kind of relationship with the younger.[break][break]

At last, Zev took a bite of his meal. "As you can imagine, when his superiors back in Kanto noticed his disappearance, they put him on the list. It is easier to kill prisoners than deal with the possibility of them spilling Rocket secrets."[break][break]

Another sip of whisky washed it down. The burn of the liquor brought Zev back to his rational, steady senses.[break][break]

"As for how Caleb got off the list, Gavin took him off as a favor to me."[break][break]

Zev never forgot the night Gavin had delivered the news, the two of them seated in the back room of his bar, a single ceiling lamp casting a soft glow over their table. Zev never forgot the rage of Rocket's stupidity nor his gratitude for Gavin's… kindness.[break][break]

It had been a kindness, after all.

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 17:27:28 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Maybe there wasn't treason in the house of Harcourt. Maybe Zev was right, and Caleb was just a PoW, a loose end from another regime better off cut. It was a plausible enough explanation. A harsh one, but harshness was a value that Rocket had in no short supply.[break][break]

There was just one problem with that theory, and his name was Caleb Sharpe.[break][break]

The man looked like a Harcourt. He spoke like a Harcourt. He felt like a Harcourt. And he neither looked, sounded, or felt like a prisoner of war. Sure, perhaps he had been molded from a diehard soldier of Rocket to a card carrying Ranger in the span of three years. But would a prisoner possess such loyalty? What could the League possibly say or do to convince a man that had partaken in Kanto's atrocities to switch sides?[break][break]

The man didn't seem to be under duress. He was no penal legionnaire. And if he ever had been, those days were long behind him. His first name stayed the same, but his last name changed. Was it even an effort to hide himself? Or was it just distancing himself from his past, in the same way Isaac had stricken the name Sunderland from every facet of his life? No. Isaac had walked in those footsteps long enough to know that something didn't add up.[break][break]

Was Caleb imprisoned? Or was he liberated?[break][break]

Everything else seemed clear. Rocket command puts Caleb on a list. Gavin Merlino takes him off of a list, because Gavin Merlino continued to be the biggest hearted nightmare monster that Isaac had ever met. "He's a good man," Isaac said, thinking back fondly to their surprisingly numerous run ins with one another. "At least, as good as any of us can try to be."[break][break]

Rocket wasn't a symbol. Rocket was the people under that symbol. Even if Isaac couldn't take the world on his shoulders, he could follow in Gavin's footsteps and do the best by them he possibly could.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 19, 2022 17:43:56 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

Zev didn't care that Gavin was good. All he cared about was that Gavin was dependable and trustworthy. So he said nothing, simply allowed Isaac to reflect on the goodness (or lack thereof) within Team Rocket. None of those things affected Zev or his contributions to Rocket's cause, whether that involved killing people or conquering a town.[break][break]

In any case, there were other, more pressing matters to address besides the upcoming operations or the crime syndicate's morals.[break][break]

"Your texts said you weren't alone," Zev pointed out between bites of dinner. "Who were you with?"[break][break]

As much as he tried to exude calmness, he was all tense anticipation. Had Isaac actually met Caleb? That, more than anything else, would answer his most pressing question.

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 20, 2022 16:07:35 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Isaac was really hoping Zev wouldn't ask that. But he knew it was inevitable.[break][break]

Luckily, Isaac had the only thing stronger than lies on his side; half truths. "There was League personnel," Isaac said. "Rocket wasn't the only group that had gotten hit by that Porygon, after all. While they were around, I didn't want to pick up the call and risk compromising you."[break][break]

"And don't worry. They didn't see anything important. I was in plainclothes the whole time. And I rigged it up so any docs that Porygon spat out were corrupted to hell and back." All it took was turning a burner laptop into the digital equivalent of a toxic waste dump.[break][break]

It was a clandestine operation. Isaac's alibi was both the simplest option and also the most truthful. And he delivered it all in a steady, easygoing fashion, punctuated by bites of delicious fish. Frankly, if Zev found any further room to dig, Isaac would be impressed.

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,675 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
POSTED ON Oct 20, 2022 16:21:58 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","zevpost"]

League personnel? Zev frowned, new questions rising to the fore of his mind. Did the League know about the hit list? Isaac said that the files were all corrupted, but if he had seen Caleb's name, had the other person seen it, too?[break][break]

It might be a good idea to find whoever it was Isaac had met, to ensure they really knew nothing. But on the other hand, if they had information Zev could use, he would not miss the opportunity to extract it from them. One way or another.[break][break]

"Describe them," Zev ordered, though he seemed more focused on spooning himself another bite of dinner. "Face, voice, other physical traits. How they walked, how they carried themselves. Any distinguishing features that would make them stand out in a crowd."[break][break]

Blue eyes raised to meet Isaac's, expectant, waiting.

[break]

[googlefont=Montserrat]
close tab

played by

Wanderer

The Liberator
he/him/his
April 10
Lavaridge Town
Figuring it Out
Penitent
Renegade
awards
4,328 posts
Isaac Merlo DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @isaacmerlo
Isaac Merlo
POSTED ON Oct 20, 2022 23:37:10 GMT
Isaac Merlo Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","skullbody"]Yeah, no. Isaac should've known it wasn't going to be that easy. With how often he had been seeing the chinks in Zev's armor lately, he had almost forgotten one very important fact about the man. Zev was thorough. Zev was driven. And when Zev wanted something, Zev got something.[break][break]

What had once been Isaac's out was now his snare. If he didn't describe that rangers properly, Zev might have gone off against someone innocent. If he described a ranger that didn't exist, Zev would have probably caught on after religiously studying the League's databases. And if he described the ranger he suspected was Caleb . . .[break][break]

Isaac didn't know what Zev would do, but something about the idea left a shiver down his spine.[break][break]

"It was dark as hell by the time the official arrived, so I couldn't get a good look at his face. When the Porygon wreaked havoc on the electronics, the lights were some of the first to go," Isaac said. "But far as I could tell, he looked pretty normal? Tallish. Pretty typical build."[break][break]

"He didn't say too much, either. When he did, he was all business. Not immediately, though. He seemed nice enough at first, but when the Porygon started acting up he firmed up real hard, real fast. Turned into the kind of guy that tells you his questions instead of saying them, you know? A real quick change, too, like he's flipping a switch."[break][break]

"Same went for pretty much anything else he did. Walking, talking, battling, standing around. Once a job ramped up, the guy turned all business, and if he did anything he did it with purpose," Isaac said. "And if it helps, his Pokemon was a Zorua." Isaac didn't hold back nearly as much as he thought. However, the only remaining description to come to mind was a very, very dangerous one indeed.[break][break]

"Just like Zev."

[break][break]

[break]

[googlefont=Oswald]
[googlefont=Roboto]