awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
En Garde! [S/"GYM"][C/Alex]
POSTED ON Oct 15, 2023 18:20:28 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

And it was here… the other took the bait.

His own Pidgeot cackled, as the pool noodle swung around and smacked a clean hit on the other Pidgeot—just like a lance would strike at a rider, but only instead of the ground they were in mid-air.

“You banked too hard on that earlier maneuver,” he remarked once he’d spun around to face the other again. “I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this, but all the same it’s important to always keep an eye as well as an ear on your surroundings.”

The Pidgeot then flew some distance off, and he waited for the other to charge at him, just like a lure…

QxuA8kYf

lower than the total: Jersh gets the point, higher it’s Birddad point!

Jersh - 1
Birddad - 1

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 18, 2023 3:05:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
In their previous charge, Alex had taken the initiative. Josh met that with a charge of his own, the two Pidgeot swerving out of the way of one another at the last moment. The challenger had overcorrected, his noodle whiffing and the Birdfather's striking true. Josh winced; even though their foam weapons were soft, the sheer speed the two birds reached made the impact hurt! He took his hand off Pazuzu's reins long enough to gently rub the impact point, trying to ease the pain away.

"You don't think I know that already, Alex?" Josh retorted in a taunting voice. "It takes keen eyesight to fly at hundreds of miles an hour. You should know this better than anyone else. We're riding buddies, and I know you have a need for speed in the sky, too." He knew that all too well from the day of their intense race back at the other Gym.

With a screech from his mount, the wannabe knight reined Pazuzu skyward. With the Gym Leader simply circling, it was clear he was waiting for Josh to make the first move. And move he did. While the use of Quick Attack was forbidden, he could still take advantage of his bird's nosebleed-inducing diving speed. Soaring to the limits of the Sanctuary's bounds, Pazuzu pointed his beak at Idun in a stoop so fast that it made Josh float against the top of the cocoon he was wrapped into.

_1kxXe8I

{WC: 242}
{PC: 9}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Pazuzu        Pidgeot        Good
·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 19:59:25 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

The other Pidgeot examined the incoming fellow with this look that almost looked like a stink eye, before simply cackling in bird-speak before suddenly dropping to a lower height without so much as further preamble.

(Of course he was used to this feeling by this point.)

While the other would clearly miss their mark, he would suddenly bank on from the drop in altitude to come up swinging from beneath, twirling the pool noodle like a certain blade before striking it on the other Pidgeot’s underside to strike a point!

Once he’d gotten the second point, he then veered back up so that they were on eye level.

“Alright, look,” he explained next.

“I know your tactic is to run, or fly straight in a linear direction as fast as you possibly can. However, also consider sudden barrel roll tactics and surprise attacks from in the air as well.”

His Pidgeot then flew in a seeming half-circle, with him suspended upside-down from the aerial mount.

“And don’t forget about aerial flips, too! Come and get me!”

t_UrhXsL

land the total of your rolls between the presented rolls: Jersh point; get neither, Birddad wins!

Jersh - 1
Birddad - 2

·
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 25, 2023 4:27:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Pazuzu squawked, the noodle slicing across him like a Kartana's Leaf Blade. The Birdfather had turned his Gym Leader friend's speed against him. His aerial combat needed work; if he was to wield a blade from the saddle, he needed to combine thrust with steering. His battle style turned himself and his mount into a living, often times supersonic, missile. As lethal as such a weapon was, more lethal was a slower missile that was heat-seeking.

The only thing stopping Josh was the g-forces that threatened to tear his own body apart if his turns were too sharp. "You don't think that's what I was going for?!" Josh shouted, Pazuzu pulling up from his stoop with power that squished the young man's thighs against the cocoon he sat in. While he did not go upside down like Alex did, he did ease off the gas enough to gain just enough maneuverability for a roll. With proper timing, he would be able to avoid Alex's counterattack.

IJHTpvmV

{WC: 165}
{PC: 10}

·
close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Oct 29, 2023 15:58:35 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

Sometimes, there was such a thing as playing it too safe—and this was one of those times.

He could see the other man’s opening, literally—though with the way he was bringing himself up in the skies, it took a very sharp eye to spot that minute opening as he quickly caught the weak spot in the roll and came screaming in for the final strike—

“Match!” he said as the third strike landed a clean hit before he pulled out of the way to face him.

“You know, you already have the basics of aerial combat down. It’s just that… sometimes, asides from trusting your Pokémon’s instincts, you also have to trust your own up in the air. You left yourself wide open a few times which allowed me to get those hits in.”

Was he preaching to the crowd? He wasn’t too sure.

“You rely too much on offense, it leaves your defenses lacking, or in some cases wide open at times. But that’s for another session, since you did well up here even though it was your first time.”

He then redirected the other to fly back down towards the ground, where he would the slide off his Pidgeot’s back without further ado.

“Let me know what you think.”

Jersh - 1
Birddad - 3

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 1, 2023 1:29:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
That third and final strike left Josh gasping, striking him in a sensitive spot. Slumping in Pazuzu's saddle, the giant bird touched down near where the two combatants were before the match began. All he could do was catch his breath while Alex tried to teach the lesson of Fortree Gym. The lesson he received was one of defense. The young man's battle style was deadly and effective: it embraced the idiom that "the best defense is a good offense". To an extent, that was true.

Anyone with vision sharp enough to see through the Master of Faster's blitzkrieg, though, could use that speed against him. Josh's combat style was hard and fast. Against foes like Josh, the most effective combat method was the soft and flexible style, once taught at Dewford Gym many, many moons ago.

"For someone who relies on aerial ambush predators, those weren't words I expected to come from you," Josh quizzically responded as he slid down from Pazuzu's back. "I swear, though... combine my land jousting skill with your aerial prowess, and we would be a force even Rocket's Avatars would be quaking in their boots to face. That isn't a bad idea to work on, though. Next time we find ourselves out and about together, how about we work on that?" he proposed. With the number of times he went joyriding across Hoenn to relieve stress, it might happen sooner than later.

"I do plan on challenging your blindfolded course, as well," Josh managed with a slight smile, "but not until my community service hours are in. It was hard booking the time to come here to do this as is. Has challenger volume dropped here, too? Worthy gym challengers have been few and far between of late."

{WC: 294}
{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Nov 4, 2023 18:30:57 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

“What, your thing still isn’t done yet?” he blinked; at least the younger man didn’t take his words as an insult; rather he took them as words to remember.

“Not all the avians have stealth on their side, you know. Unless I have them like, drink that weird-ass concoction that supposedly changes their ability or something. Have you heard of those?” he continued once Ethan had come ambling out with drinks for the both of them to share.

A few chin scratches later, his Pidgeot took off to the air while he returned the pool noodle.

“I can’t just rely on one particular battle style, you know,” he went on, this time offering his fellow Gym Leader actual, solid advice.

“Should they figure out your trick, they can easily block you. You of all people should know that.”

The quip about gym challengers wasn’t missed, either. A thin, ironic smile flashed on his face.

“Few people coming by to ask for my non-trads, you know. They’re all here to beat me to the dirt. ‘s no joke that my gym is the easiest to get a trad win off of now.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Nov 5, 2023 6:20:43 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Still not done yet? It had only been what, eight months since Joah's restitution began? Could Alex not do the math? He was in on the email and should have been aware of just how harsh Josh's sentence was. "You know that 3,000 hours is a year and a half of working full-time, right? Plus I can't work my Gym and put in five eights a week doing Ranger tickets. I'll be glad to get that much; in the winter, there's probably going to be not enough tickets for everyone as is." Josh shrugged at the Birdfather's remarks about so-called witch's brews... though he had plans to use one of those brews to make Kokusho a truly frightening behemoth. One head: fire breath. One head: ice breath. One head: lightning breath.

It was a true terror to even think about.

"Alex, I've realized that as soon as I started scouting battles for the Elite Test. You know I'm closing in on that, right?" He let the rest of the fellow Leader's words brush off before the tenured Leader mentioned his lack of skill as a Pokémon combatant. "Then how about we fix that? Come out to Mauville Gym. Not to race me, but to battle me. Get that win rate up so the League doesn't get at your throat."

{WC: 221}
{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

Ven

Alex / Lexy
he / him / his
thirty
december 22
Mistralton, Unova
homosexual demiromantic
fortree gym leader
gym leader
חקל דמא
awards
5,054 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alexei
Alexei Ivanov
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 22:04:25 GMT
Alexei Ivanov Avatar

All that talk of maths made his head spin.

“Ack, no more maths, please! At least if it’s maths involving money I can still juggle that fine,” he teased, pretending to ‘fall over’ the moment the other started laying on thick just how long they would be doing ‘restitution’, also known as unpaid work hours.

Yikes.

He would’ve long gone insane if he had to do that… work without any kind of monetary compensation? Yeah, no thanks!

Once the other had offered him a chance to get stronger—and not in the non-traditional sense (as he was already plenty strong there) he balked for a few moments.

“How long… how long is this training going to take?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,095 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Dec 9, 2023 22:25:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh wanted to forget about his restitution. It was going to feel so good once he had his full salary back. He would have poker money again. More importantly, he would be able to take care of all his Pokémon again without relying on his Gym stipend. For now, though, he needed to toughen up the Birdfather in the art of combat.

"As long as you need it to. As long as it takes to help you get your win rate back to where it should be. You helped me learn how to stay in the saddle in the air. Now it's my turn to teach you. Let me know when you have a gap in your schedule. I'll make it work. Meet me at Mauville Gym. We'll get your battle skills up to snuff."

{PC: 13}

close tab

played by

a toddler

little toot toot
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
wing attack
mod
googoo gaga
spiral is my big poppa pump (positive)
600 foot tall baby height
600 foot tall baby height
sleeping in mod reqs
awards
2,355 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mod
spiral and shiv's baby
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2023 20:48:24 GMT
spiral and shiv's baby Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: