awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
Hurricane Yellen [M][C/Lars]
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:10:34 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Aye, we got Corrine back, an’ the family’s okay,” someone else within the ‘Gyarados Riders’ (as that was what they were now known) radioed back, because it would be way too obvious if Lars himself made the record.

“Did some scouring through th’ area an’ I think we got’em all, I hope,” the voice crackled over the line. “Headin’ back t’ triage now, also clearin’ debris along tha way, over.”

Lars himself couldn’t help but cackle—who knew one of the members of the squad was Galarian? Thick, rolling accent like that…

“See y’ at base, over an’ out.”

The rest of the day was spent with clean-up operations, which the ‘Riders’ took gleefully because it offered them a chance to have their Pokémon go bananas while helping with the debris that had scattered all over the place. Truly, it was easy to hoist large ‘flat beds’ to haul the debris out for safe disposal.

“Come on, put your backs into it!” the obvious Alto Marean shout came from somewhere—it was Lars, unapologetic and revealed in his full glory—not Hoennian orange, but Alto Marean sea-blue and white Ranger uniform for all to see.

(Even if it was obvious by the point who he was.)

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:38:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The next day was far more calm; while all four teams were still needed, the wind was not pushing storm surge and floodwater around. The coastline was still inundated, but water was much more calm and was slowly retreating back into the ocean. There were still plenty of victims to be rescued, and more importantly, debris to clean up. Furniture had been ruined. Josh's Arcanine, Braver, got a lot of work done farther inland, where the floodwater had already retreated to reveal utter destruction.

The commanding Ranger, Josh, addressed all of his teams again. "This is Senior Ranger Devlin. A-Team, things have calmed down. I'll need you to pack up and help the B, C, and D teams with their duties. The rest of you, if you have any victims you cannot treat at the scene, make sure to call emergency services. Local hospitals should have capacity to serve them now. The rest of you, continue searching for survivors. Don't forget - if you find any deceased, submit their name to me over RangerNet so I can file a report with the Head Rangers. Any questions, radio me directly. Over and out."

With everything calmed down, Josh approached the blue-uniformed Lars once more, Braver and Yosei helping out with removing debris. "Looks like everything went about as well as it could. We'll be counting the dead for a while, but we saved a lot of lives the last two days."

{WC: 239}
{PC: 9}

NAME           SPECIES         STATUS
Resheph        Dragonair       Good
Ulysses        Dewgong         Good
Illumina       Lanturn         Good
Braver         Arcanine        Good
Yosei          Salamence       Good
Janus          Espeon          Good
close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
is gonna be the loneliest
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 10:46:10 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

The other ‘Riders’ were cackling together as the continued to haul out debris—while Lars himself oversaw the clearing operations, his own Gyarados Kali helping out the other members of the squad, her own ‘flatbed’ piled high with debris that was to be taken away.

“Well, the Riders out there will definitely know if they find—something,” he continued quietly. That was one way of putting it. “They’ve got most of the debris cleared out by this point, the weather’s looking calmer now, so there’s that too.”

It was all pretty much clean-up at this point.

“You were touch-and-go for a moment there yesterday,” he hummed. “If there’s something you have to be able to do, it’s to make snap decisions at the drop of a hat. That would be one thing that needs working on, but otherwise…”

He let the quiet fall between them.

“Just another day out here for us Rangers, you know.”

Meanwhile, Lynette the Gardevoir had departed for somewhere, but now winked into existence via Teleport close to where the two were talking.

“What’s your biggest takeaway from all this?”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:01:13 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh at first wanted to scoff at Lars for his remark about making snap decisions. He instead laughed. "Funny you speak of that. That's the exact tenet that Mauville Gym tries to teach its challengers. Perhaps I'm just not yet used to making snap decisions of that order of magnitude," the Leader sighed. And Lars was right. This was indeed just another day of being a Ranger, when it all came to fruition. Whether it was one or hundreds, there were lives to be saved. Every life saved was worth the trouble, bringing warmth to the Senior Ranger's heart.

Josh waved to Lynette as the Gardevoir warped in. He sent out Janus, his saddle-wearing Espeon, to give the Gardevoir someone to talk to. "My biggest takeaways from this are that no matter what, you can't save everyone. You just have to do what you can with the tools in front of you and the situation at hand. It hurts not being able to save everyone. It really does. But it just is impossible." He took a deep breath. "Second, part of being a leader is trusting those beneath you to do their jobs. I thought I was at first a bit overbearing and maybe micromanaged my team leads too much."

{WC: 210}
{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:17:28 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“There’s a huge difference between battles at the Gym, and actual orders that involve lives on the line,” he hummed quietly.

“Really big one when you put it into perspective, because within the Gym, you still have some control over the variables… but out here, in the wild, where the Rangers work best? It’s literally Murphy’s Law out here.”

He could only guess what the other was thinking.

Meanwhile, the Gardevoir was actually holding a package, winking and flashing at the Espeon in welcome—but bid the Eeveelution to keep quiet about what she had with her.

“It took me a long time to learn that too, you know. Like. You want to save every single person, but in the end decisions have to be made… sometimes really hard ones, too.”

Let’s not go there, Lars, that’s still too touchy a subject even now!

He then laughed at the mention of micromanaging.

“Look, the way how I run things is… well, fast and loose on the most part. There’s a hierarchy, however everyone involved is free to exercise their best judgment when it comes to situations. Just a little nudge in the right direction here and there gets them all on track.”

It was at this point that the Gardevoir, absolutely poker-faced, approached with the package in her arms.

“I have something for you.”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:35:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Lars' point was one Josh realized before. It just made every decision weightier the more lives hung in the balance. "The same principles apply, though." He did have a hot-button question for the Head Ranger, though. "Do you think I had a self-confidence issue when was first a Ranger, and do you think I've addressed it since then?" It was a problem that it took him dual careers as a Ranger and Gym Leader to realize and begin assessing. He could trust others, but he could not trust himself. Trusting himself was one of the things he needed to be able to do as a leader, whether as a Ranger or in the Gym circuit.

"That's why... that's why I froze up for a moment," Josh admitted. "Having to decide between one set of lives over another is just an impossible choice." Running things fast and loose made sense, and he could tell, technically overstepping the boundaries of the exam to save lives when it could make a difference. "And Lars, that's the way it should be. Yes, leadership is important, but the best leadership will help anyone in need. You get that. You may be a harsh boss at times, but you're a good boss." His mind drifted to his recently-expired suspension, which taught him many valuable lessons about professionalism as a Ranger.

Lars snapped Josh's attention to a package in his Gardevoir's hands. "And what might that be?" he asked idly.

{WC: 243}
{PC: 11}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 11:42:16 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Fact of the matter is, you’re soft at times. I noticed it. Well… I don’t know, you and a friend of mine have a lot in common. Being soft just happened to be one of those things I noticed that you both share.”

(The fourth-walling in that last sentence alone, I swear.)

“It’s not a self-confidence issue, it’s more on like, when you’re under extreme pressure you froze up—yes, exactly what you said,” he nodded.

“Freezing up like that when lives are on the line can cost you in the long run, so when it comes to making a decision, always make sure you’re doing it for the betterment of everyone… even if it means sacrifices have to be made.”

Even he had his own dirty laundry to share but not now, and most certainly not out in public like this!

As the Gardevoir approached, this mysterious look passed his face.

“It’s not for me. It’s actually for you. Open it.”

Within the wrapped package was the now-promoted Elite Ranger’s new uniform and badge showing their newly-ascended rank within the organization.

“Thank hell the badge made it in time, honestly. What with the dome cutting us off from everything shit was tight, but…”

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,065 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 12, 2023 12:05:20 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I'm sure the more situations like this I get put in, the better I'll get at responding to them. Just like anything else," Josh answered the Head Ranger with a nod. "Experience is the best teacher. And the best way to be able to learn is..." he simply nodded again at his boss's remark. "Exactly. It was just a hard decision to make on who was in more immediate danger. I think I made the right call, but it was great you had my back. Thank you again."

With a deep breath, Josh opened the package. Inside was a Ranger uniform just like the light red one he had on, but this one colored a deep blue, with a matching blue armband and badge to go with it. "Lars..." he started crying, overcome with emotion. He would hug the Head Ranger if allowed to. The Master of Faster was now the second-in-command at Mauville HQ, behind a to-be-determined Ranger Captain. He was no longer Senior Ranger Devlin.

He was Elite Ranger Devlin.

Trembling, he unfolded the uniform and examined the badge and armband in his name. Everything was, of course, authentic. "...I'll do the Mauville Rangers proud. Thank you!" He wondered what would think if she saw him in such a prestigious uniform...

{WC: 214}
{PC: 12}

close tab

played by

Ven

Lars
he / him / his
thirty-two
july 26
Sootopolis, Hoenn
don’t know, don’t care
ranger & courier
ex-head ranger
tonight
1210 height
1210 height
nessuno vince.
awards
3,795 posts
part of
TAG WITH @lars
Laurence Anderson
POSTED ON Jan 13, 2023 9:51:48 GMT
Laurence Anderson Avatar

“Always remember, kid,” he continued as the barest hint of a smirk crossed his face, “…when it comes to making a judgment call when saving a person’s life—always go for the one who’s in immediate danger. It… well, you’ll get a lot of experience with that the longer you’ve been around.”

This of course, was nothing on the thirteen years he’d been with the Rangers—only time would tell how the other would grow into their new role.

“Maybe down the road, if they’re looking for more Heads…” he trailed off with a bit of a cackle before clamming up because the younger man was overcome with emotion.

“Hey, you can be a sap in private, we’re still on the job. Let’s finish up this work day and then you can have your moment.”

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,938 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 14, 2023 4:19:22 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)