[attr="class","samcam"]
creampunk: help
creampunk: someone help
creampunk: >fresh hills (34.1, 25.6)
creampunk: >dyna guardian

The chat (filled with John's pleading) stayed visible to John at all times, overlaid on top of a background that blurred and shook with the movement of his character and his own head (currently housed in a fancy little VR headset he'd won from a raffle).

Between every message John managed to throw out into the ether of this damn game he squealed and squeaked. In real life he was no doubt soaking his chair with sweat as he moved his whole upper body with every flick of his controller.

He didn't know a lot about video games but this seemed like bullshit. Why would you put an enemy this strong in a starting area? Wasn't the point to ease someone into the experience? Why would he even be allowed to hit it if it was like 30 levels higher than him, that didn't make any sense!

He let out another shriek as he just barely managed to roll out of the way of a club smashed into the ground. The enemy resembled the smaller cubone-inspired monsters in the location but . . . not. It was huge and meaner, leaner, with a club easily as big as John's character.

Outfitted in starter leathers, with a sword literally described by the game as 'rusty, dinged, not the kind of thing a seasoned adventurer would fight with ' he didn't have a snorunt's chance in hell against it. Its massive health bar didn't visibly decrease despite the game's promise that he had definitely done 5 damage and it never stopped chasing him no matter how long he ran.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

Ceej

Kep
He/him
March 03
Alamos, Sinnoh
Homosexual
boy genius
Associate Scientist
nature, nuture
heaven and home
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
sum of all and by them driven
awards
493 posts
part of
TAG WITH @kepler
kepler brueshaber
help me, please [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 19:09:37 GMT
kepler brueshaber Avatar
[attr="class","min"]
kepler spun around in his wheelie chair and watched the VR world rotate with him.

he hadn’t played in a million years, what with work and Apocalypse and all, but given said apocalypse was looming he’d decided to boot up the ol’ glasses one last time for old fuck’s sake. he had some time to kill anyway while his simulator compiled all the data from the naganadel study he’d done with .

he picked his strongest character and set out to go about pwning some noobs while his computers whirred behind him, aiming to be the biggest jackass on the planet in his boredom. like a cat.

unfortunately he found someone had beat him to it and was busy being too stupid to truly experience the kind of misery he wanted to inflict.

taking pity on the guy, kepler swapped his skillset to ice and grass based attacks and launched an overleveled barrage of bullshit at the monster, depleting its healthbar in two keystrokes and saving the creampuff-- er, creampunk-- from deletion.

gallowsCalibrator im helping because you made me sad

[attr="class","mintag"]

[newclass=.min] width:500px;text-align:justify;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;letter-spacing:.8px;margin:0 auto; [/newclass] [newclass=.minpkmn] margin-top:-30px;padding-bottom:10px;text-align:center; [/newclass] [newclass=.minpkmn img] float:none;margin:0;box-shadow:none;border:none;margin-top:-10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.mintag] margin-bottom: -20px; padding-top: 10px; text-align: center; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 22:49:19 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
While he ran, John flipped desperately through his hotbar for a skill that might help. There wasn't a lot to go through and he didn't know what any of it really meant. The descriptions were definitely written in his language but hell if he actually understood any of them. In the end he picked one of his handful of abilities at random and turned to face the Dyna Guardian.

"Get ready, you bastard," John said, out loud to nobody as he queued up what he was pretty sure was a damaging ability. It was do or die time, no one was coming to help him. He hovered over the button and waited for the enemy to enter his range (which was also the monster's own range) and then -- uh, what?

John's screen was completely overrun with flashing effects and visuals such that his eyes filled with spots. When he blinked them away there was no monster there anymore. Just another player avatar standing where it had been, all about its feet a collection of exp and what to John looked like some nice items. They had a pleasant green glow about them that set them apart from his own dull gray equipment.

creampunk: uh
creampunk: thanks?
creampunk: i mean obviously thanks
creampunk: i'm the one who was begging for help
creampunk: and i guess also sorry?
creampunk: for making you sad
creampunk: ?
creampunk: you can have what it dropped
creampunk: if that makes you feel better?

He walked towards the other avatar (gallowsCalibrator, a kind of grim name) and flipped through the emote wheel to pick out a smile.

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

Ceej

Kep
He/him
March 03
Alamos, Sinnoh
Homosexual
boy genius
Associate Scientist
nature, nuture
heaven and home
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
493 posts
part of
TAG WITH @kepler
kepler brueshaber
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 3:50:41 GMT
kepler brueshaber Avatar
[attr="class","min"]
In real life, Kepler had lifted the VR visor enough to let him see where he was going so he could cross the cold metal submarine floors to the fridge in his lab. Contained within were a collection of samples clearly labeled BIOHAZARD as well as his lifetime supply of peach Bangs.

He grabbed one and popped the top.

gallowsCalibrator it’s okay. We were all new once, i guess.

His avatar steps up to the pile of loot, the teal-red of his customized pyrite armor glinting in the green glow.

gallowsCalibrator no, you clearly need it more than I do.
gallowsCalibrator you can’t use it yet but if you don’t want to hold onto it you can break it down for crafting materials.
gallowsCalibrator or you can save it to use after some grinding

He cocked his head, in real life and VR.
gallowsCalibrator do you know where the blacksmith is?

[attr="class","mintag"]
thanks for not outing me as a homestuck, doe

[newclass=.min] width:500px;text-align:justify;font-family:roboto;font-size:12px;letter-spacing:.8px;margin:0 auto; [/newclass] [newclass=.minpkmn] margin-top:-30px;padding-bottom:10px;text-align:center; [/newclass] [newclass=.minpkmn img] float:none;margin:0;box-shadow:none;border:none;margin-top:-10px; [/newclass] [newclass=.mintag] margin-bottom: -20px; padding-top: 10px; text-align: center; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 17:28:12 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
With the monster no longer chasing him down John could finally relax into his computer chair. For just a moment he pushed the visor of his headset up into his hair to wipe sweat from his brow. How embarrassing. VR or not, to be this shaken up by a video game encounter . . . It made him feel ancient.

Every time he tried to cut himself some slack ('But it looked so real') John remembered his father getting all wound up over old horror games and how hard he'd rolled his eyes at him. He wondered if the kid piloting the character that saved him was rolling their eyes.

Whatever, the visor went back over his eyes in time to catch gallowsCalibrator in the middle of explaining something about the gear. He scrolled up and speedily read his way back down in time to reply only a second or two late.

creampunk: thanks
creampunk: that's super cool of you

Scrolling through the emote options he found a more spirited "celebration" gesture that saw his avatar throw his hands in the air and release a poof of confetti from nowhere.

While he picked up the gear (and confirmed that, yep, each attempt to equip it was met with a pop-up and an angry sound telling him to level up first) he read over the last question from gallowsCalibrator. He turned to face the avatar again and tilted his head.

creampunk: this game has a blacksmith?
mission link

notes: don't thank me too much. if i could have found a clever way to call you out i would have : )

close tab

played by

Ceej

Kep
He/him
March 03
Alamos, Sinnoh
Homosexual
boy genius
Associate Scientist
nature, nuture
heaven and home
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
493 posts
part of
TAG WITH @kepler
kepler brueshaber
POSTED ON Dec 3, 2022 23:34:04 GMT
kepler brueshaber Avatar
[attr="class","min"]
Kepler had been that kid once, too. Running out of bullets in Silent Hill and being chased by weird, mutated, pixel monsters until he cried IRL and his mom made his nanny take away his Playstation.

Them’s was the days.

He cracked a smile at the emote, flashing a thumbs up that produced a Kirby-like star off the thumb twice in return.

gallowsCalibrator: sooo technically he was called the ballsmith because, you know, pokeballs.
gallowsCalibrator: but you can imagine how that went down with a target age range of teenagers.

Kepler ran in rapid circles around Creampunk, waiting for him to pick up the gear.

gallowsCalibrator: i’ll show you where he is. There are a couple of tutorial quests you can grab from him that ease you into the game. At the end of the intro mode you get to pick one elemental magic: grass, water, or fire. How original, right?

He threw up a Grass-type spell to illustrate, a burst of green energy that conjured vines and roots out of nowhere before dissipating back into pixels.

gallowsCalibrator: then after you level up you can put exp points towards new spells or new elements and eventually you can unlock a whole bunch.

[attr="class","mintag"]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
POSTED ON Dec 5, 2022 1:31:58 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John could imagine exactly how well received the 'ballmaster' was by a young player base; in large part because John struggled even in his thirties to completely rid himself of his crude, teenage sense of humor.

It was a good thing his character's expression and his own were separate from one another. It would have been mortifying to embarrass himself in front of this kid again by letting him see just how hard he cracked up at the unfortunate NPC's title.

creampunk: yeah, i've got an idea

The more tame message was sent once he'd organized his new items in his inventory. The gear was categorized by slot and then further sorted by level needed to wear it. He already had a few more grey pieces of gear that were above where he currently sat, but lower than the new green gear required.

John's character dusted off his hands with another scroll of the emote wheel.

gallowsCalibrator's explanation made him want to look for some kind of 'head in hands' gesture instead. Really? He'd managed to miss an entire tutorial? He didn't even know there was magic in this game! He thought all the skills were just flashier sword swings and little stat buffs.

He tried not to betray his frustration with himself too much when he replied, however.

creampunk: yeah, some directions would be great
creampunk: i really thought this game was just, like, some kind of hack and slash
creampunk: you've really saved my *** in a few different ways, now

Oh, he left the language filter on. He'd get to that later.

creampunk: and don't diss the elemental triad
creampunk: ****'s a staple of the genre
close tab

played by

Ceej

Kep
He/him
March 03
Alamos, Sinnoh
Homosexual
boy genius
Associate Scientist
nature, nuture
heaven and home
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
493 posts
part of
TAG WITH @kepler
kepler brueshaber
POSTED ON Dec 10, 2022 22:43:41 GMT
kepler brueshaber Avatar
[attr="class","min"]
It’s okay, Kepler had played this wonderful, piece of shit game since early access, and he, too, had laughed at the name ball smith. He had actually voted in the poll that was made to decide whether or not to keep or change it. He had voted keep.

gallowsCalibrator well, you can hack and slash it if you really want. Some people do builds like that.
gallowsCalibrator but idk idk i think magic makes it more fun

And he throws up the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ emote a couple of times for good measure.

gallowsCalibrator staple of boring.
gallowsCalibrator shit’s the cornflakes of game design.

He jumps in place, dipping in the direction he intends to go.

gallowsCalibrator blacksmith is this waaaaay

He starts running for the NPC’s forge, decorated in bronze and warm tones and tucked nicely into a mountain. The blacksmith was a very generic burly, black-haired, bearded gentleman whose idle animations had him going from the anvil to the front of the store, and back again.

gallowsCalibrator Here ye be. He’ll give you some intro quests about finding materials and fighting some level 1 baddies and shtuff.

[attr="class","mintag"]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
POSTED ON Dec 13, 2022 22:31:55 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
creampunk: no no i agree
creampunk: magic is sick

Honestly, John had been disappointed in the lack of features he'd noticed since booting up the game. Which maybe wasn't fair! Considering he wasn't even high enough level to make it from one starter zone to the next without crying for someone to come save him. The more he thought about his experience with the game so far the more astounded he was that he hadn't inferred the fact he'd missed something massive.

creampunk: and unlike you i have an appreciation for the classics
creampunk: so i will be happily embracing my future as a fire mage
creampunk: or spellsword or w/e you call someone who likes magic with a bit of melee on the side

From there his focus flipped from the chat box to the other player's avatar as he did his best to stay on top of gallowsCalibrator as they led him back into town. There were several places he recognized on the way back: the potion shop where he'd got one for free (drank in desperation before he was saved) and the guild house that gave him his first quest (which he was only able to half finish before he needed the aforementioned saving).

When gallowsCalibrator did finally stop in front of the blacksmith, however, John forgave himself a little for overlooking the NPC. For someone so vital he sure was just kind of shoved into a corner.

creampunk: ah man thanks

John quickly sent with a bowing emoji.

creampunk: oh ****
creampunk: yeah that makes sense
creampunk: that zone you found me in
creampunk: is out the opposite gate they wanted me to leave through

The Blacksmith asked him to go out the East Gate and fight five Wyrmple -- monsters a good two levels lower than the Cubolds that had sicced the Marowrath on him.

close tab

played by

Ceej

Kep
He/him
March 03
Alamos, Sinnoh
Homosexual
boy genius
Associate Scientist
nature, nuture
heaven and home
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
493 posts
part of
TAG WITH @kepler
kepler brueshaber
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2022 20:06:47 GMT
kepler brueshaber Avatar
[attr="class","min"]
Kepler is happy he has, at least, found a kindred spirit in views of the arcane arts. It heartens him to Creampunk, if only just a little. If he did a little inflection he’d find a predisposition towards those willing to invest some time and effort into mastering the finer points of the game, like the magic skill tree, and unlocking the power of combos.

But that was bordering dangerously on incel-ish thoughts so best to leave those alone.

gallowsCalibrator respect the classics’
gallowsCalibrator are you my grandpa?

After a beat and several belly-laugh animations, he added:

gallowsCalibrator spellsword sounds nice.

He flashes a dabbing emote a number of times out in front of the blacksmith’s shop.

gallowsCalibrator yeh np he’s just kind of fucking over here. Easy to miss.

IRL Kepler chuckled to himself.

gallowsCalibrator it’s ok. When they released the Scarlet DLC i ended up at the Fire-type cult hq camp and was wondering why they were kicking the shit out of me.
gallowsCalibrator it’s easy to do.
gallowsCalibrator i have to go do my big boy job but i'll shoot you a friend request if you ever need help or wanna do bosses or w/e

[attr="class","mintag"]

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
POSTED ON Dec 21, 2022 17:00:41 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Maybe it was silly, but John couldn't help but feel a little sad to know his new friend had to go so soon. In such a short time together gallowsCalibrator had saved his life, given him some sick loot, and set him on the path to playing the game properly. It had been a while since he'd been in the mentee position anywhere in his life and he found it was kind of nice to be looked after.

Though a bit weird when he considered the person on the other side of the screen was almost certainly, significantly younger than him. But in a world where teenagers trained gods and fought wars what did that really matter?

creampunk: i guess i'll work my way through the tutorial, then
creampunk: thanks for all your help!

He was sure to follow up the messages with another bow and the cheesiest smile the emoji wheel had to offer.

creampunk: you'll be amazed at how much stronger i am the next time we meet

This proclamation was maybe sillier still than his sadness, but it buoyed his feelings and pushed him in the direction of process. He gave his new friend a chummy wave goodbye before setting off in the direction of the . . . East! The East Gate! Before setting off in the direction of the East Gate.

He had some Wyrmple horns to collect.

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,923 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Dec 22, 2022 22:04:45 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: