john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 23:03:09 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Most of the time John goes to the bar with coworkers. It's a hell of a time filled with work rants and banter and usually at least one stupid decision that puts their future with whatever establishment they're patronizing in question. But the world just barely avoided ending for about the fiftieth time in the last five years and John needs to just . . . drink.

He just needs a drink and he doesn't feel like doing it alone so he makes his way to the lower district and picks a cozy haunt that's already got a few similarly minded people milling about.

The bartender knows him well enough from the aforementioned work drinks and stupid decisions. She looks relieved to see him walk in alone and more than happy, then, to get him a couple whiskey sours when he throws up a pair of fingers.

"'Scuse me," John mumbles as he shoulders in next to someone else at the crowded bar. It's not until he gets his drink and takes a sip of it, glancing around lazily as he does, that he realizes who he just rubbed up against.

He sputters.

"Uh, sir, sorry about that," it's hard to tell whether he chokes worse on the apology or the drink. His words are cut up with coughs, that continue once he's got the sentence out.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
mission link

note: admittedly i know nothing about the event rn aside from "a big fuck off meteor almost but didn't crash" so if martin is involved in a way that makes this timeline not work lmk and i'll make edits!
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2022 3:59:38 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

He never drinks more than a glass or two; nothing that would greatly impair his judgement, affect his actions, or diminish his control. That much hasn’t changed even now that a goddamn apocalypse had been averted and Hoenn had changed as a result.
[break][break]
So, why is he here, then? At a bar, drinking on his own? The truth of the matter is that there’s only one reason why Martín del Mar would go to lower district bars like ’s Howling at the Moon and ’s Ritual, and that reason is not one he can share with the man who bumps into him and soon breaks into nervous apologies.
[break][break]
Does he know him?
[break][break]
”Might be one of my employees.”
[break][break]
”Hey, no worries.” A smile; calm, easy, reassuring. That feeling of familiarity remains, though, and it takes Mars a moment of thinking to place where he has met . There are hundreds of people working at POG Bank, and among them there are only a few that stand out enough for their names to be in the CEO’s radar. In John’s case, it’s for good reasons. ”Nelson, right? Long day at work?”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front
[break]Starter was great! TY for threading with me ♡ If you have any questions about anything feel free to shoot me a PM

[attr="class","pkmn"][break]

[newclass=.twt2] --accent: #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn .grey1] filter: grayscale(100%);[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn.grey1 img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; filter: grayscale(100%); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 27, 2022 15:10:22 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
It takes a little more time for John to clear his throat of the sweet cocktail, but the not-at-all bothered smile helps smooth the process along. Martin Del Mar has never been the most uptight of bosses but if there's anything John's learned working in corporate, it's that it's always better to be safe than sorry. It's a relief to know he made the right call but didn't have to.

Once he's got a functioning windpipe again he takes a slow breath and gives his boss a thumbs up to make it clear he's okay, before taking another sip of his drink. Once he's got a clean swallow on the board he replies to the question.

"Sorry about that. You took me by surprise, boss," he says with a polite, apologetic smile, "you're right, it's Nelson. You can call me John, though, if you'd prefer."

He sighs at the mention of work.

"Man, I wish," it's probably too casual a tone to be taking with the CEO of one's company but, again, Martin is not your average CEO.

"Forget a long day at work, it's a long life in Hoenn. I don't know how much more of this my nerves can take."

Another sip. Another swallow.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 4:27:30 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

He has always seen importance in understanding people, and right here, right now, at this bar, both the actions and words of say a lot of who he is as a person. It’s intriguing, really. A glimpse into the mind of the ordinary, everyday man. And even one who is his employee, at that!
[break][break]
”John, huh? You’re damn right, I’ll drink to that. Things have been pretty crazy as of late.”
[break][break]
It’s the understatement of the century.
[break][break]
A giant, invisible barrier had surrounded Hoenn for months, preventing people (and thus also any items) from getting into the region or out. There had been a supply shortage, prices had skyrocketed, and when working at a bank, the repercussions of such events are felt heavily. On top of all of that, a damn meteor had been enroute to kill them all, sent their way by interdimensional assassins who wish to see Hoenn destroyed. Needless to say, when people think they’re about to die, they can get pretty damn reckless with their finances.
[break][break]
Everyone at P.O.G Bank had been working their assess off to help maintain even a semblance of stability in this chaotic region. It’s something Mars is actually thankful for.
[break][break]
”Ever since I moved here, I have found it to be a good test of mental fortitude.” Mars chuckles, swirling the clear liquid in his glass. He takes a measured sip, savouring vaguely floral notes as much as the burn of alcohol. ”Were you born here?”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

[newclass=.twt2] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 12px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 20px 10px 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .notes h1] font: 16px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]

[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt2 .pkmn.grey1 img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; filter: grayscale(100%); [/newclass]
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 14:06:12 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The call to drink to Hoenn's chaos is met with appropriate zeal. John downs the rest of his first whiskey sour after a small toast in his boss's direction. The whiskey and lemon burn and bite in a way that forces some pep into him. He straightens up slightly before reaching for the second.

'Things have been pretty crazy as of late.'

Understatement is right. Not just because the latest event has been potentially the worst of it (it's hard to say outright if economic pressure and looming dread beats out cannibal aliens and titans from space) but because 'as of late' is doing a lot of work in that sentence. The initial Rocket invasion was damn near four years ago and it's been non-stop ever since. Just one thing after another.

John takes a long drink that drains his glass down to half. If this is going to be the mood of this conversation he needs to get off these froufrou cocktails and onto something straight and neat.

"Born, raised, all that good stuff," he replies after swallowing, fondness slipping into his voice despite himself, "Right here in Slateport, even."

Another sip. Another swallow.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 18:01:16 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

Perhaps it’s because Mars knows it better than most people; he knows just how bad things can be. Hoenn had nearly killed him more than once, it had tried to take from him time and again, he had had made plenty of sacrifices to get to where he is, and as a result, Hoenn had also given. Most people are not aware of most of it, of course, they have no idea, and he sure as hell intends to keep it that way. P.O.G Bank’s CEO is just a rich man who must be insane to have all that wealth and still choose to come to such a chaotic region and try to help it be better. The philanthropist.
[break][break]
”Most people choose to move away from their hometown at some point or another. Even more so with everything Slateport has been through… You may have some admirable resilience, John.” The comment is honest, yet it is an amusement smirk that tugs at his lips, because there’s an undeniably dissonance between the chaos of the region and ’s general demeanour.
[break][break]
”Slateport is great as far as cities go, though. I wouldn’t have minded growing up here.”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 21:04:19 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
"Don't give me too much credit, now," John sighs, weariness creeping back into his tone even as his own small smile tugs at his lips, "It's not exactly 'through thick and thin' between Slateport and me."

It's moments like this that John wishes bar stools had backs, so he could lean back and swivel around while reminiscing. As it stands he has to settle for the inverse. He settles onto his elbows and swirls his drink in its glass. An appropriately pensive position, he thinks.

"I left like any other kid to do my turn on the gym circuit daydream," he says. He can remember it like it was yesterday. He and Dess, just a little Whismur then, heading out into the big wild world. His hair was still long and he still wore that god awful jacket.

"But then I came back like most kids, too. When it didn't pan out. That's when I became a lifer," he nodded and finished off his drink before tapping on the bar and hailing the bartender over ('whiskey. cheap. neat, please.'). Still, John played with the empty glass a bit longer. It scraped gently against the bar top as he slid it back and forth.

"Didn't leave again until Rocket, but I don't think you can hold that one against me."

His whiskey shows up and he holds it up to Martin in another, admittedly somewhat sarcastic, toast before draining most of it.

"Beautiful city though. As good a place as any to spend your time."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2022 2:29:10 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

”Pro trainer John Nelson, huh?” There’s a light chuckle at that, snuffed out by gin being downed. Top shelf, neat. The options available at this bar aren’t exactly his favourite, but they’ll do just fine, won’t they? A crisp flavour, the taste of juniper berries… they’re things that bring a certain comfort to him. ”I used to dream of doing the gym circuit when I was a kid back at Kalos. It’s never too late, though.”
[break][break]
He is living proof of that, like many others. After all, businessman as he may be, Martín del Mar has also challenged both minor and major gyms alike in his time in Hoenn, and he has quite the collection of badges. It’s not rare for footage of his battles to be shown during interviews and news reports, but honestly, while they do make for good publicity, that has never been the real intention behind those challenges.
[break][break]
”To good places where to spend our time.” He smirks, raising his glass to meet John’s toast. Unlike him, Mars takes a calm and measured sip, nursing his drink and seeming to be in no rush to finish it – as if to savour every last drop.
[break][break]
”I like it, personally. Much better than the last city I moved to.”
[break][break]
Of course it is, because Slateport isn’t marked by death, loss, and tragedy. No memories of Slateport haunt his dreams and steal away his sleep. Not yet, at least.
[break][break]
There’s an impulse to drink, but instead Mars looks down at his glass, swirling its clear content.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 29, 2022 20:33:19 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John doesn't think he needs to justify the "pro trainer" gag with a response. The eye roll and the fact he spends 70 hours a week in the office is an answer better than any he could vocalize. And he doesn't want to vocalize it beside. As much as he sets himself up for these jokes, they sting. No matter how much he tries to build calluses over it that bit of his skin is thin as it ever has been.

So instead he finishes his drink, orders another, and follows the line of conversation his boss has so graciously laid out for him.

"Where was the last place you lived?" he asks over the sound of his third glass clinking against the first two, "Man like you, had to be some place like . . ."

He thinks, his fourth drink arriving just in time to swirl while he does.

"Lumiose."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2022 2:48:47 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

The conversation flows just as whiskey is poured into John glass time and again, no topic overstaying its welcome. With the mention of Luminous City, the office worker actually manages to get a light laugh out of his boss, which he then follows by shaking his head and downing what’s left on his gin. He doesn’t order a second glass just yet.
[break][break]
”I haven’t lived in Kalos since I was young.”
[break][break]
”Younger” Mars corrects in his mind, although approaching his thirties certainly manages to make him feel as if his youthful days are over sometimes, especially considering the health complications he had dealt with last year. Most people aren’t aware of that. To most, he may just live the perfect life, as if they were unaware of how packed his schedule always is and what kind of tolls this takes on him.
[break][break]
”Luminous is nice, though. I’ve been meaning to find the time to go sometime now that we can finally travel again.” There’s a slight smile at that, since while business trips do take Mars all over the world, the reason he wants to go back to Kalos has nothing to do with that. would probably want to kill him if he focused on work during one of their trips together, especially one to his hometown.
[break][break]
”It was Jubilife. I worked in tech before taking my position at the bank.”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2022 15:58:28 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
"Still look pretty young to me," John echoes del Mar's thoughts aloud. It's bolder than he'd usually be, but maybe it's the drinks bolstering him. When he was his boss's age he was barely out of the circuit and still thinking this office gig was just a strange kind of sabbatical. Young and dumb.

Maybe it's not fair to compare himself, so average, to someone so exceptional though. A CEO. A skilled trainer. The kind of person you might recognize on the street.

He nods along as del Mar sings the praises of that great Kalosian city. There's not a lot John can offer in reply. There's little and less he knows of foreign lands outside of pictures and wiki entries. All he knows is Lumiose is beautiful and the people supposedly of a different breed -- sophisticated and ritzy.

The same can be said for Jubilife (the lack of knowledge, not the impression). So John finds something else in the sentence to reply to.

"Tech . . . you know, I've been thinking you must be some kind of boy genius but that just about cements it," he says. In another mouth it might have been sarcastic or teasing, but coming from John it's earnest and fond. He wonders for a moment if it's inappropriate to be proud of your boss.

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2022 21:38:06 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

In the world of business, in those high circles to which only the most successful have access to, words like young are often used as an insult. Young, foolish, immature, just a kid who has no idea what he’s doing… Martín del Mar has heard it all before. He has learned to navigate those turbulent waters, has mastered those seas, and he has found his place among those who would so easily underestimate him because of his age, his looks, and so much else.
[break][break]
This is one of the two reasons why John’s bold comment is met with no offence but a grin instead. And, the other reason? Well.. That’s that Mars is an incorrigible narcissist, obviously.
[break][break]
”Careful, John, you’re sounding like an old man.” The banker teases, taking a sip of gin. However, it’s John’s next comment that actually gets a proper laugh out of him – short as it may be. There a warm smile, and with it, a couple of pats on the other's shoulder, almost as if these were expressing his appreciation for the comment. Boy genius, huh? I think a magazine called me that once way back when I was in university.”
[break][break]
They had, he remembers it well. It had annoyed him back then. They had been reporting on his first successful investment. The worst is that they had been right: he had been a boy. A lot has changed since those days.
[break][break]
”I won’t deny that being smart has a lot to do with it, but brains only get you so far, you know?”

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Nov 30, 2022 23:12:51 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John responds to the playful warning with an equally playful wink as he takes a slow mouthful of whiskey and swishes it around his mouth a bit. After a couple seconds he swallows it with a contented sigh. Heat radiates from his core -- the drinks are finally settling.

"I am an old man," he finally replies, grinning. It's only half in jest. Plenty would argue thirty-five is nothing (most people have more than half their life left still) but John still can't help but feel he's over the hump these days. Like his fire's gone out and now all that's left to do is bide time.

"Boy genius," John repeats emphatically, "Recognized in university, worked tech in your early twenties, and now hauling a whole bank further and further towards the top before you're thirty. Don't know what else to call you."

It's about now he decides he doesn't care if it's inappropriate. What a story his boss has got; he's proud whether he should be or not.

He leans in conversationally, conspiratorially, and quirks an eyebrow at del Mar's response.

"What else goes into it? If you don't mind sharing your secrets to success with this geezer."

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2022 7:21:01 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt2"]
[attr="class","main"]

What Mars won’t tell someone like is that as much as business is his passion in life, he often regrets not pursuing a degree in science as well. There’s nothing he despises more than his own lack of knowledge and understanding about certain things, it frustrates him to no end, and as a result, he’s constantly learning – whenever he has the time, even if it’s just by listening to an audiobook while going for a run.
[break][break]
Revealing the supposed secrets to his success is something he doesn’t mind as much, especially since it’s the sort of thing he often speaks of in interviews and that can be found in his own biography.
[break][break]
There’s no real secret to it.
[break][break]
And yet, ever one to be fond of dramatism, he leans in as well, as if he truly were about to tell John something most of the world could never even guess. He even lowers his voice, a playful smirk dancing at his lips:
[break][break]
”Some people will tell you it’s talent, and sure, that plays its part, but most of all it’s about working hard. Dedication, passion, drive… you can’t lose those things or you’re doomed. You have to be willing to do what it takes and never give up, no matter how wrong things go sometimes or how many curveballs life throws your way. Have a good strategy, push forward, and know how to turn even a loss into a win.”
[break][break]
There’s fire in every word, akin to that lit in his golden gaze. It's as if Martín del Mar were a man who faces everything in life as if it were a battle for him to win. Perhaps that’s why he had been given the nickname Mars long ago, after the Lord of Wars.
[break][break]
But, how is a war won?
[break][break]
”The most important thing, though, above all, is realising that no matter how smart, talented, or hardworking you are, you’ll never get anywhere all on your own.” His glass is raised slightly at that, as if he were about to make a toast. ”To be successful you need to network and to learn how to choose your allies. You need contacts, and you also need hardworking people who are willing to make your vision come to life. That’s why people like you are important, John. I may come up with ideas and lead, but POG Bank would be nowhere without its employees.”
[break][break]
Martín del Mar is a prideful man, and it’s with pride that he speaks of the people who work for him.

[break][break]
[attr="class","tag"]

[attr="class","notes"]

notes

[break]
▷ Putting On A Front

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
off the clock [mission]
POSTED ON Dec 1, 2022 17:30:08 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John isn't sure what he's expecting when he asks for his boss's secret to success. Or rather, he isn't sure which of things he's expecting are going to come out. A joke, in line with some of the other conversation they've had tonight? Something prepackaged and insincere, or frustrated? A bunch of obvious fucking bullshit?

He never imagines that the answer he gets will be as earnest as it is. Equally brimming with the enthusiasm and unwavering confidence of someone speaking their will onto the world. John goes from grinning, to thoughtful, to sipping his drink in rapt attention as del Mar goes from point to point.

What a guy. To speak so sincerely to some middle manager in a seedy bar.

Neither does he expect how much the words affect him. Where they hit, and how hard. Del Mar doesn't just give him the secrets to business, he gives John his philosophy on success as a whole. On the way one needs to act to be rewarded by the world in whatever they pursue. He can't help retroactively applying them to his past self.

Memories flood to the surface of weeks of training ending in pain. Of his energy and creativity and confidence slowly draining out of him like blood from an open wound every time the wall ahead of him refused to budge. An old bitter ache and anger at himself blossoms as he's read a laundry list of tools for success that overlap very little with his mindset by the end of his dreaming.

But then his boss says the most surprising thing. Just as John's resigned himself to accepting that he's not the kind of person who could ever do what del Mar did he slams his foot into the proverbial door.

'The most important thing, though, above all, is . . . you’ll never get anywhere all on your own.'

And he also remembers another part of the end. Nights studying, alone. Friends who'd given up long ago and peers who felt too far ahead or behind to help him. Inadequacy that choked him so bad he couldn't bring himself to talk to another trainer after the fifth, sixth, seventh failed attempt. It chokes him now.

"Allies . . . huh," he says on a laugh meant to hide the shining in his eyes, but just moves the water from his eyes to his throat. He turns away and blinks a couple times. Buries a cough under the last of his drink before turning back around like nothing happened.

"And what do you look for in your posse, boss? What singular trait do you look for before any other?" he questions with a smile.

The question is in line with the last but secretly, horribly selfish. Del Mar has admitted to appreciating John as an employee behind a desk, but part of John wants desperately to know if all those years ago -- if their ages were in sync -- if someone as bedecked with victory as him would have ever picked poor, struggling Johnny for his team.