john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Nov 25, 2022 23:12:41 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The night was winding down to a close for most of their merry party. The space around the table they'd reserved for the night grew less and less crowded as people got up and left; stumbling, red-faced, and happy. It was down to John and just a couple others from his department, and they were patting their legs and gathering their things up like they weren't going to last much longer.

"No need to entertain me," he reassured one of them with a smile and an uneven pat on the shoulder, "If you need to head out don't let me keep ya."

A couple jokes and one last drink later and he was alone at the table. It was always a little sad being the straggler at the end of the night, but he was used to it. It was his lot. He didn't have family or hobbies to hurry home to like the others. Ah. What a bummer thought to end the night on.

Or it would have been, if he hadn't grabbed his blazer and jacket and got halfway to the door before spotting a familiar crop of brown hair. Oh hell yeah. This guy.

"Giddy boy!" John shouted as he cleared the space between himself and the bar in a few long strides. Volume control had left him about five drinks ago. He draped himself over the back of his good buddy and smiled at him from over Gideon's shoulder.

"Have you been following me around again? I keep telling you you just have to call me and I'll get drinks without all this scheming," he said, smiling a drunk but genuine smile as he slid off Gideon's back to instead sit in the empty seat next to him.
[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
i get by, but it's hard to forget in the smoke of denial and the fog of regret.
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 1:55:53 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
It was late and, by all accounts, Gideon should have been one of the several patrons currently walking out the door. He'd had a long day in the lab and definitely could have used the few hours of extra sleep that would have come from going straight home.

And yet here he was, nursing a citrine-colored cocktail at one of his favorite public houses, The Barbary Pyroar.

There was just something about winding down with a good drink after a stressful day that was too enticing to pass up.

Not only that, but the prospect of good company too. Speaking of...

"John!" The weight of the man's arms fell onto Gideon's shoulders. He shifted around to look at his friend, a thin-lipped smile on his face.

"Ahh, caught red-handed." Gideon chuckled lowly, playing along.

His umber eyes followed John as he slid into the seat beside him.

"Since my scheming seems to have worked out, let's get you that drink," He called the bartender over with the slight wave of his hand. "I promise you'll love this one."

Did it look like John needed another drink? Absolutely not, he was obviously plastered.

Still, they'd done this enough times that Gideon knew he'd inevitably be taking the man home anyway. Might as well enjoy their time together and savor the night before it came to an close.
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
everyday i think a little less like how i did when i was younger
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Nov 26, 2022 17:16:38 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Theatrical pride lit up John's face at Gideon's "confirmed" scheming. He leaned heavy on one elbow, propped on the bar, and shook his head while the smile on his face only widened. What a good sport his buddy was. How lucky was he to run into him on the way out?

"Don't worry, Giddy. I could never hold it against you," he reassured the man next to him with more sincerity than he had his coworkers earlier. Despite the fact that the whole conversation was one long gag John found he meant it. Even if Gideon was some kind of sly fox tricking him into drinks, he didn't think he could find it in himself to be irritated. Not when things always ended so pleasantly.

Well, maybe he could hold some things against him. A little bit. Gideon was so reckless with his money! The moment he offered to buy him something John straightened up and let out a put-upon sigh.

"Another overpriced cocktail," he groaned with too much affection for his words to be believed, but leaned over the bar to point as far down the shelf as he could anyway, "right there, Giddy. That's the good stuff! But I guess if you're paying I can entertain your prissy palate. You did go through the trouble of tailing me after all."

[newclass=.samcam] [/newclass][newclass=.samcam b] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam i] color: #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: dashed 1px #C4AD87; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass][newclass=.samcam a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:800 15px Poppins!important; [/newclass]

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 1:25:56 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Though most considered Gideon's general countenance to be severe or lacking in emotion (chronic RBF, the poor guy), John always managed to draw a genuine smile from him.

"Now, now, John..." Gideon laughed, leaning over and extending his hand so that his palm rested beneath his friend's elbow. With ease, he then lifted the other man's arm so that he'd go from pointing to the lowbrow section to the much more appropriate high shelf.

Was Gideon feeling the affects of his last few drinks, too? Probably.

"That's where we need to be. Here, let me show you."

With perfect timing the bartender arrived with the requested cocktail.

"This..." He paused for dramatic effect, letting John really take in the 'overpriced' drink set in front of him. "...is the Moonwalk."

It was a work of art. An enchanting masterpiece. An alluring mixture of the freshest grapefruit juice, the most decadent orange liqueur, the subtlest hint of rose water, and the most divine champagne money could buy. Served in a champagne flute, it was a sweet concoction that would brighten any night out.

"This cocktail was created in 1969 at the Unovan Bar in Wyndon. It was meant to commemorate the moon landing that occurred that same year."

Gideon loved including little tidbits of alcohol trivia whenever he'd push the drinks on John. He thought it made them more palatable to the office worker... but so far had struck out on all attempts. Maybe this time would be different?
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Nov 28, 2022 13:53:06 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The laughter from Gideon emboldened John as it often did. When Gideon went to move his arm he made a great show of pretending to fight the adjustment, pretending to try and press down on his arm at the same time it was lifted and giving up with a huff once it was about halfway to where he knew Gideon wanted him pointing. He "resigned" himself to his fate while leaning heavily on his other hand.

When the arm was released and the bartender arrived John kept up with the antics. He used his now free pointing hand to cover his eyes childishly so as to hide the drink. But he would only be so difficult. Once Gideon got into the spiel he always gave with these drinks he did part his fingers so he could see the cocktail and the man singing its praises both.

In truth John enjoyed the stories Gideon told about the origins and histories of his bougie drinks and cocktails. John's ignorance to them was another part of the bit, although his distaste for the pricey beverages was not.

"Unova? No wonder there's no liquor in it, then -- gods know they can't hold it," he scoffed playfully before reaching out to take the drink. He swirled the liquid in its flute glass for a moment. He sniffed it. Sweet scents rushed up his nostrils.

"Gods, it's like fruit punch," he complained with a pouting lip, but then downed it in one go anyway. It was citrusy, sweet, and just a little bubbly. It went down smooth because really what other choice did such a drink have?

It wasn't awful. Was quite tasty to be perfectly honest. It wasn't worth the price tag though, and it lacked the warm rush John liked from a good shot or the heady rush from a tall beer. So, John still put on an unimpressed expression; mostly out of obligation.
close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 11, 2022 23:07:23 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Ever one for theatrics when it came time to finally taste Gideon's highbrow drinks, could have won an Oscar for some of his performances. Especially this one! Swirling it, sniffing it, and then absolutely chugging it?!

"John, you're supposed to sip it, you know. It's a cocktail, not a can of Slowbräu or some other cheap beer." Gideon scoffed, mock-exasperated. How could he possibly appreciate the complexity of the beverage if all he did was drink it in one go?? The action defied all logic.

"What am I going to do with you?" Inevitably, Gideon's feigned indignation fell away in lieu of a bright smile and an amused shake of his head. "We need to refine that palate of yours."

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 14, 2022 20:39:32 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
"Giddy," John replied, setting down the now empty glass with a soft tink, "don't you know that any drink you have to sip isn't a drink at all?"

He met Gideon's faux frustration with exaggerated ignorance. A roll of his eyes accompanied the words and he even went so far as to stick out his tongue once they were out. Of course, his own performance broke when Gideon's did. His smile and question earned an equally -- if not brighter -- smile from John.

"I guess you'll just have to keep tracking me down and plying me with drinks."

With a great sigh he draped himself over the bar top.

"What a horrible lot for us both."

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 15, 2022 16:13:18 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Just the worst.” Humor colored his voice and a light chuckle left his lips as he spoke. In reality, it was fairly obvious that Gideon felt just the opposite. He quite enjoyed these small pockets of lighthearted fun that John provided whenever their paths would cross. It was a shame it didn’t happen more often.

By now the crowded bar had dissipated to only a few stragglers, Gideon and John included. The professor’s eyes swept to the watch on his wrist - was it already that late? He had to be in the lab early tomorrow. How unfortunate.

His gaze traveled to where his friend laid on the bar top. Leaning onto his arm, cheek to upturned palm, Gideon watched for a moment as John reveled in his drunken splendor. Seconds passed before his other hand found purchase on John’s shoulder, shaking it gently.

Do you need help getting home, John? I think it’s about that time.
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 20, 2022 1:23:25 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
The bar was comfier than John expected. Over the few seconds he'd settled over its width he began to doze off; he was only saved from the no-doubt unceremonious hand of the bartender that would have found him in an hour or two by Gideon's own, more gentle touch. He straightened up lazily and rubbed at one of his eyes.

"What, home?" He asked sleepily, stretching with an only just-audible groan as his back popped.

Both of his hands -- previously reaching above his head -- slapped down onto the bar top a moment later.

"Well Giddy, if you wanna walk me home I could," A moment of bleary-eyed silence, "I could allow it I guess. Save you to trouble of, of hunting down my address."

He almost flopped back down again as he shifted to rest his chin on his hands and his slippery elbows on the bar.

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 23, 2022 3:50:38 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
"How accommodating of you." He chuckled, watching as the other man flopped around the bar top like a fish out of water. Then John mentioned allowing Gideon the privilege of knowing where he lived so he wouldn't have to hunt down the address. Hmm.

It took Gideon a moment to catch on that John was referencing his earlier joke.

"Right, I've been following you around. You sure you want a bad man like me to know your address, John?" At this point, with his friend as gone as he was, Gideon probably shouldn't have continued the charade. He couldn't help it, though - it was much too fun to tease.

Still, he had an obligation to his friend to get him home safely. So, after placing cash on the table to cover their drinks and an appropriate tip, Gideon rose from his seat and moved closer to John.

"Up we go," He encouraged, wrapping his hand around his friend's waist and bringing John's own arm to rest on top of his shoulders. Like this, he'd be supported as they made their way out of the bar. "There we are, John. You good to walk?"
close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Dec 24, 2022 1:13:25 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John's smile went wide and sly at Gideon's question.

"You don't know the, the first thing about what kinda men know my address," he replied with a shameless dip to his voice before devolving into a short fit of laughter. As it subsided Gideon slipped into the space next to him and John was more than happy to throw an arm around his buddy and let him lift him up straight. Oh, but maybe not so quick.

"Gentle with me, Giddy. Gentle," he groaned as the man got him upright and the whole room tried to flip around him, "Fuck, why'd I let you buy me that last drink. Pushed me right over the edge."

He looked up at Gideon through squinted, accusing eyes. Then smiled again before laughing at his shoes.

"Usually I'd like a walk home. Night air 's good on a warm, warm face. But I think I'd get arrested more likely tonight. Feelin' awfully . . . disorderly."

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 0:33:27 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Disorderly.

John, the office worker. John, his good-humored friend. The thought of him doing anything disorderly enough to warrant the police getting involved was quite outlandish. Luckily...

"I'm here to keep you in line, you know. We can't have you getting arrested, now can we?" Gideon asked, shifting to shoulder back onto him, as he was already starting to slip off. The man was no help when it came to keeping himself upright.

"You don't know the, the first thing about what kinda men know my address."

For whatever reason this statement stuck with Gideon. It also served as a good avenue for distraction, so he quirked a brow and innocently inquired, "Enlighten me, John. What kind of men usually know your address?"

Honestly, he'd asked more so to keep his friend talking and at least semi-conscious as they walked down the dark, desolate Slateport streets than anything else. Gideon knew the general direction to go in, but not the exact location he was heading to. Hopefully John would divulge the information without too much trouble...

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 0:52:23 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
Lucky for Gideon, as easy as John slipped away he could be reeled back in. He followed the tug from his friend with ease and settled heavily against him. He let the arm around Gideon's neck go heavy as he slumped against him. There -- now his feet felt a bit more solid underneath him.

He gave the other man an appreciative pat on the chest to show his gratitude.

"Keep me in line, Giddy, boss'll kill me if I no show on . . . on whenever the next work day is," He agreed with a tone slipping and sliding between jovial, confused, and solemn.

As they started to move towards the door and the street beyond it John dragged himself along. To call what he was taking steps would be generous, and to call the culmination of them walking outright blasphemous, but he wasn't complete dead weight. He would not drag Gideon to the ground, just give him a bit of a workout keeping him upright.

He shot Gideon another sly smile at the question he asked.

"Oh Giddy, you curious? You a little . . . you a little curious Skitty, huh?" He teased, "I'll have you know I meet with all sorts! Just a few months ago there was, there was that Teravolt concert 'nd some nice young man with tabs -- people still do, they still do tabs did you know that? I thought they'd go out of fashion -- followed me home."

"I even let stiffs like you in. If they ask nicely."

And he tried to press a finger to Gideon's nose.

close tab

played by

dove

dr. graves
he / him
October 28
fallarbor town, hoenn
bisexual
museum director
professor / researcher
hardwired
allopatric isolation
6'4" / 193 cm height
6'4" / 193 cm height
awards
388 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gideon
GIDEON GRAVES
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 2:24:31 GMT
GIDEON GRAVES Avatar
Thank goodness for the surrounding darkness, as it hid the redness that suddenly flushed onto Gideon's cheeks. John was too drunk to notice, anyway, right?

Gideon probably should have figured John's response would take this turn given the question asked, but for some reason he didn't expect his friend to give such specific details. A nice guy from a concert? Tabs?? Followed him home???

"Well, n-no, I had no idea people still used tabs—" He stammered out.

And then came that playful finger and teasing quip.

Did... did just boop his nose?

It was such an unexpected, fleeting touch that it stopped in his tracks momentarily. He looked down into John's unfocused eyes and just... laughed. Short, sweet, happy.

"Is that so?"

A sudden thought fluttered into his mind: Arceus, why was John being so... cute?! It caught him off-guard, but Gideon was also feeling the affects of his drinks and his lowered inhibitions showed that. Case in point:

"How nice are we talking? Are you going to make me beg on my knees or will simply asking suffice?"

close tab

played by

doe

johnny
he/him
thirty-five
august 21st
slateport city
homosexual
office worker
civilian
awards
96 posts
john nelson DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @john
john nelson
familiar faces [social]
POSTED ON Jan 6, 2023 4:10:34 GMT
john nelson Avatar
[attr="class","samcam"]
John beamed brightly as Gideon laughed. That sound, over their handful of meetings he'd learned to cherish it. He liked whenever he made anyone laugh but there was something about making Gideon laugh. It was like striking gold. Maybe it was because he was such a straight-laced guy usually. John told himself that must be it.

"That is so," he replied through a snort and a laugh of his own. The cool air of the street on his face, the light of street lamps the only way to catch a glimpse of one another's expressions, John was too distracted and at too much of a handicap to read the change in the air. Not until Gideon spoke up again. Not until he phrased the question just so.

John's smile went just a little wider, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he tilted his face to look up at Gideon.

"Hmmm, I don't, I don't know," he pretended to deliberate, letting his head roll so he could look up at the sky (the moon, the only visible astral body in the city air of Slateport) before rolling it again to get a look at Gideon again, "Usually you've gotta be real nice, but since you're walking little ol' me home -- I could probably let you in for a 'pretty' please."

The word 'pretty ' was emphasized, the barest hint of a purr rumbling in John's throat as he rolled the 'r'.